Runango Running Forum - Not logged in
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login Donate
Previous Next Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / The Royal Tenenbaums = Salinger's Glass family?
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2007-12-31 4:05 PM Edited 2007-12-31 4:07 PM
Anyone that's both read the Salinger short stories involving the Glass family and watched The Royal Tenenbaums care to comment on this?

I wouldn't say "blatant rip off" but it comes pretty close. Even so, I love them both.

- I just know that this thread will break 100, possibly give the Paypal thread some competition.:roll::laugh:
Be gone with you, Pulpy, before I fold you into some kind of brochure.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) [us] Date 2007-12-31 5:34 PM
I've heard that the Tenenbaums (maybe not in name) really did exist.  Supposedly, Wes Anderson was friends of the family and was a sort of adopted member of the family.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2008-01-01 10:39 AM
So Wes Anderson was kind of like Eli Cash.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) [us] Date 2008-01-01 4:04 PM
That might be my guess, minus the crazy drug problem along with car crash he had near the end of the movie (hopefully).
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2008-01-01 7:21 PM
It looks like we're both right - according to Wikipedia at least...

"The siblings of the Tenenbaum family are all highly intelligent and disillusioned, struggling with their own identities. They are loosely based on a rabble of similarly disillusioned siblings from the later books of famed author J.D. Salinger. The Glass family, comprised of seven child-prodigy-turned-adult-misanthrope characters, is the central subject of three of Salinger's four published books, and form the basis for the quirky and unhappy Tenenbaum family, as director Wes Anderson revealed in an interview with Premiere magazine conducted in January 2001.

In one scene, Etheline Tenenbaum urges her daughter Margot Tenenbaum to get out of the bathroom. A similar scene takes up a large part of J.D. Salinger's book Franny and Zooey, when Bessie Glass spends quite a bit of time bothering her son Zooey Glass.

Some members of the Tenenbaum family are actually modeled after members of Cinematographer Robert Yeoman's brother-in-law Walter Karnas' family. Certain small points of family members were exaggerated to make the character its own. The part of Royal Tenenbaum was written for Gene Hackman, but written after Walter Karnas himself. The same goes for the three Tenenbaum children, partially written after three of the Karnas children.

Etheline Tenenbaum, played by Anjelica Huston, was modeled after Wes Anderson's own mother. Anderson's mother similarly adopted archaeology after divorcing her husband. The glasses Etheline wears are actually Mrs. Anderson's. At one point during filming, Anjelica Huston asked Wes Anderson if she was, in fact, supposed to be playing his mother.

Two of the film's characters are thought to be modeled after popular culture icon Nico. The blonde hair and dark mascara of Nico is reflected in the styling of Margot Tenenbaum; additionally, Chas's son Ari shares a name with Nico's son. Nico's "These Days" and "The Fairest of the Seasons" are featured in the movie.

Ari and Uzi's beagle Buckley is a tribute both to singer/songwriter Jeff Buckley and, as a beagle, to the Peanuts character Snoopy. Buckley's replacement by a dalmatian named "Spark Plug" near the end of the film may be a homage to Peanut's creator Charles Schulz, who was given the same nickname by his uncle.

The name for the movie was inspired, in part, by longtime friend of Wes Anderson, Brian Tenenbaum, who has appeared in several of Anderson's movies in bit parts. In the Royal Tenenbaums he is one of the paramedics seen at the end of the film.

Henry Sherman is the name of Wes Anderson's former landlord. When the character of Henry Sherman is introduced in the film, he is standing in front of an apartment with a sign that says "H. Sherman - Landlord".

The film also has many references to The Odyssey by Homer.[1]

According to Wes Anderson in the DVD commentary, the subplot in which Margot and Richie hide in a museum is a homage to the book From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E. L. Konigsburg. In the book, the characters Claudia and Jamie run away to live in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York."
Parent By Ankah [us] Date 2008-01-02 3:14 PM
So now I have to watch it again to look for the Odyssey references.
Class...it's not for humans anymore. -DH
Parent By HokiePokie [us] Date 2008-01-02 2:18 PM
c'mon 100, we're almost there!!!

I have seen (and love) the movie (thought I liked Rushmore better), but haven't read the stories (I really like Catcher in the Rye tho)
Hope that helps!
VT 04/16/07
Previous Next Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / The Royal Tenenbaums = Salinger's Glass family?