Runango Running Forum - Not logged in
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login Donate
Previous Next Up Topic Training / Marathons / Training program for a 60K?
- By Spingoddess [us] Date 2009-03-06 6:56 PM
I am curious about what a training plan for the Knickerbocker 60K would look like.  I know several people on this forum have done this race in Central Park.  If you have a training plan that you wouldn't mind sharing, can you please e-mail me at spinninggoddess@gmail.com?  I'd also love to know what people think of this race.

Thanks!

Aubrey
No great story starts with a salad.
Parent By Certifiable [us] Date 2009-03-06 10:15 PM
:shocker!:
Parent By rogere [us] Date 2009-03-07 7:04 AM
60k---i try not to think about 60k's:laugh::laugh:
if you're not sitting at the table
you're probably on the menu.
Parent By rob26.2 [us] Date 2009-03-07 7:50 AM
I can't count that high. :meh:
You will gain success if you apply effort correctly. You will gain experience if you apply effort in
Parent By zzsbzz [us] Date 2009-03-08 12:54 PM
I would not recommend the plan I used to run that one :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2009-03-09 7:52 AM
I haven't done the Knickerbocker but my thoughts are that 60k of loops on asphalt in Central Park would be mind numbing. Perhaps the only worse thing would be 60k of loops down in Philly at the art museum loop course. :shocker!: :laugh:

I can't reall recommend a training plan, but would advise you to run back to back long runs. Build up to 35-40 miles for the combined b2b runs. The rest of the week focus on getting in some miles to support the long runs. Maybe 25-30 miles in your weekday runs, with one containing some marathon or tempo pace miles if you are up to it. Also don't forget to keep the pace easy on your b2b long runs. Especially in the first one, remind yourself you will be doing this again tomorrow, so it's ok to go slow.

I think for these type of races the focus should really be on endurance or miles. Also, running a marathon at a relaxed/training pace would be a good idea too.
Life is uncertain. Don't sip.
Parent By Spingoddess [us] Date 2009-03-09 11:41 AM
Thanks XT!  Someone else on RT also advised doing the back to back long runs, hopefully I'll be able to start building those up in June.  I'm going to do ODM, probably as a training run, then NJM as a goal race.  After NJM I'll look toward the Knickerbocker.  I'm actually looking forward to the loops on asphalt-- remember, I loved the 9 loops around the 2.97 mile lake on an asphalt bike path at Self-Transcendental.  Hey, that's a great training marathon, I'll definitely do that one in August.
Parent - By T. Never Knows [us] Date 2009-03-09 1:45 PM
You do become very familiar with every rise, curve, nook, and smell on the loop. It was nice that there was a lot of people to watch and that there was aid every 2 miles.
It takes about half a day,/To get there, if we travel by my
dragonfly
Parent By Spingoddess [us] Date 2009-03-10 6:23 AM
In Central Park you do want a lot of people around. : pbbt:  And the weather should be good on 11/21.  I have no conflict with that date, which is great!  Now I just have to hope NYRR doesn't pull a switcheroo and move it earlier.  :fingerscrossed:
Previous Next Up Topic Training / Marathons / Training program for a 60K?