Runango Running Forum - Not logged in
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login Donate
Previous Next Up Topic Communities / Women / Menopause and running
- By Mooky [us] Date 2009-12-29 6:38 PM
I know I can't be the first to ask this question, but what affect has menopause had on your running?  I'm 49 y.o. and 1 year into menopause and have noticed that I've slowed down, both in my races and training pace.  When I entered menopause, it was like a switch was turned on and it was a pretty dramatic change.  I'm ok with this, but just wondering if this is typical.  The two seem clearly related to me, but the only study I could find, which was done a decade ago, was inconclusive as to whether age or menopause causes the slowing down.  Curious what others have experienced and if they have had any success in slowing down the sowing down process.

Thanks, Jane
Parent By Gunna [is] Date 2009-12-29 8:03 PM
I had a very easy menopause, so I might not be typical. To me, it didn't seem to have any effect, except maybe for the better since I often used to feel fatigued while having periods. Also, I was never fast to begin with, but this was my experience at least. Is there anything else going on with you healthwise?
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built" --John Shedd
Parent By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-12-29 11:16 PM
I'm 46 and going into it (irregular periods, hot flashes) and slowing down, but I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to menopause and how much is just because I'm getting older. 

I'm not sure there is much research, because obviously as people go through menopause they are getting older.

I do believe that women experience slowing down at a less dramatic pace than men do (you won't see masters men winning OA, but you may well see masters women winning OA)  but that may be because women often take time off in their late 20s or early 30s to have children and then go back to training hard a few years later.
The ninja is not historically inaccurate. He is merely geographically improbable. --MN RenFaire
Parent - By freps Date 2009-12-31 10:30 AM
Major slowdown for me.  I dropped precipitously from solid 9mm to11 mm.
Didn't have a summer.
Parent - By Mooky [us] Date 2010-01-01 9:19 AM
Thanks for the responses.  I don't feel like there is any other health issue going on and in general have had a pretty easy time of it with menopause.  I do believe it is the menopause rather than aging because the slow down happened quickly right around the same time.  I'm ading some speed work to my weekly workout to see if that kick starts some improvement.  I certainly don't expect to run as well as I did 10 years ago, but I'm going to try to  hang in there for a few more years!  Running a 1/2 marathon in February, so I'll see if whay happens.

Thanks, Jane
Parent By noquitter [us] Date 2010-01-01 6:27 PM
Is there anything else going on in your life that may be draining your energy?  I found that when I went back to work full time I lost a lot of speed.  It seemed to happen almost overnight.  I am in my 40s so it could be age or menapause, but I was running just about the fastest ever when I went back to work and now I am running about the slowest.:meh:  I attributed it to less sleep, less mental focus and less time to recover after a good hard run.
If you aren't in your own corner, you have already lost the fight.
Parent By anoonan2 [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:03 PM
I am 53 and am going through the hot flashes and stuff but it has not any affect on my running.  It could be because I have been doing pilates for the last 3 years so actually my times have gotten faster in the last couple years, probably due to losing some weight and toning a bit.  But I have to say that running-wise my times are the same or better.  The one thing I do notice is if I take a break due to laziness or an injury is that it takes me longer to get back to the level I was at and I have to do a better job of warming up and cooling down so I have to be more patient with that stuff.  I used to just walk out the door and run, not any more.  If I have a 5 minute warm up of brisk walking and a little stretching before my run and do more after my run including walking for 5 minutes, I do much better.  Hope this might help you.  Good luck. 
Anne
1st marathon done! October 16, 2011
Parent By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:45 PM
I'm probably in perimenopause because my periods are starting to get wonky (I'm 46), but I don't have any other symptoms. And I haven't slowed down at this point. A lot of my runs are with my two-year-old in the BabyJogger, and those are definitely tough, but I still feel pretty "fast" (I've never been fast! maybe 9 or 10 mm) when I run without the stroller. I don't know that I have ever heard of any conclusive connection etween menopause and slowing down, so I guess I would caution you against having that be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I tend to be in denial about the whole aging process though. : pbbt::grin::laugh:
Parent By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:46 PM
I'm probably in perimenopause because my periods are starting to get wonky (I'm 46), but I don't have any other symptoms. And I haven't slowed down at this point. A lot of my runs are with my two-year-old in the BabyJogger, and those are definitely tough, but I still feel pretty "fast" (I've never been fast! maybe 9 or 10 mm) when I run without the stroller. I don't know that I have ever heard of any conclusive connection etween menopause and slowing down, so I guess I would caution you against having that be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I tend to be in denial about the whole aging process though. : pbbt::grin::laugh:
Parent By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:46 PM
Parent By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:47 PM
Parent - By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 5:48 PM
Parent By MetalChick [us] Date 2010-01-03 7:49 PM
OMG! So sorry for the dupes!!! :cry: I kept getting the "anonymous forum" message!!
Previous Next Up Topic Communities / Women / Menopause and running