Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / I like Mike!
- - By IB [us] Date 2011-03-30 2:56 PM
http://www.marathonguide.com/news/newsviewer.cfm?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewashingtonpost%2Ecom%2Fsports%2Fmichael%5Fwardian%5Fwins%5Fnational%5Fmarathon%5Ffor%5Ffifth%5Ftime%5Fin%5Fsix%5Fyears%2F2011%2F03%2F26%2FAF4pr2cB%5Fstory%2Ehtml%3Fwprss%3Drss%5Fhomepage

Everything about the way he runs appeals to me. He goes out there like a Maniac & puts up amazing results race after race. I had picked up some back issues of Marathon & Beyond while at the Napa expo. One of them had an interview with / overview of him. Reading that solidified my thoughts about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Wardian
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2011-07-12 2:19 PM
He just took second place at Badwater! Another feather in the cap of this bad ass.
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2011-07-12 3:25 PM
Oops, the updates on the website were a bit screwy. He took 3rd place rather than 2nd.
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2011-07-12 4:49 PM Edited 2011-07-12 4:55 PM
he's an amazing runner for sure, especially if you place an emphasis on durability.

I wonder how far his 2:17 pr he could go if he didn't race so often?

he seems to have a thing for gimmick records. record for a treadmill marathon, marathon on an indoor 200 meter track, record for a marathon pushing a stroller.

if he was better looking, he could supplant Dean.
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2011-07-12 5:04 PM
You do bring up what is probably the number one question about him.

>if he was better looking, he could supplant Dean.

:laugh:  True to a point, though I don't think he has the marketing balls of Dean.
Parent - By shiznitz [us] Date 2011-12-16 7:33 AM
if he was better looking, he could supplant Dean

so true:laugh:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2011-07-13 6:20 AM
what's crazy is that there must be so many ppl around whom are actually INCREDIBLE runners, but just don't run.

> Wardian is a graduate of Oakton High School and Michigan State University, where he played for the lacrosse team.[11] Wardian did not run competitively until after college.

I mean, he goes from not being a runner until his mid-twenties (probably just running to stay in shape) to 2:20 marathons :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:
This reminds me of our female X-country Belgian champion, who just started running when she was 18 and at 40 is still kicking everyone's ass in Belgium, without a professional contract.
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2011-07-13 7:52 AM
Thanks for adding that dimension to this. I had not thought of that particular angle to his story.
Parent - By shiznitz [us] Date 2011-12-16 7:34 AM
I think that about people all the time.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2015-01-23 10:33 AM
My college engineering partner's sister did not run until college.  His family was all swimmers/soccer players.  She ended up joining the track team and cross country team during college and shocked everyone.  In her 20s she was in top 8 at Boston Marathon after just a few years of running. 

I've seen Wardian at races because he lives in my general area and my local marathon is a cheap race and easy for him to win and get a cash award. 
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2011-08-22 6:36 PM
He won the San Francisco Marathon in a time of 2:27:06. That was his 5th marathon win of the year.
Parent - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2011-08-22 7:51 PM
He just did a run with my group over the weekend, but I was volunteering at our race. 
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2011-12-15 8:16 PM
He set a new course record at the Tussey Mountainback 50.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/news/wardian-breaks-tussey-mou.shtml
Parent - By shiznitz [us] Date 2011-12-16 7:03 AM
people like him always amaze me. they clearly have busy personal lives but can still compete on the highest level. Anita Ortiz from eagle colorado is another one (and I'm sure many others)

I would be interested to see how, when, how much he trains.
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2012-04-13 12:53 PM
So far this year he has run six marathons (two in January, one in February and three in March) and won three of them, finishing second in another.

After running 2:21:50 during the Olympic Trials he ran 2:31:17 the next day. Good enough for 16th overall and he won his age group.

He won the National Marathon for the sixth time in the past seven years.
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2012-04-14 10:23 AM
I've been using a tip he offered to urban runners who like to do trail races. I think I read it in Trail Runner magazine but I'm not sure. Anyway he offered the following bit of advice (paraphrased since I haven't looked for the magazine article):

If you're training on the roads don't just run a straight line. Zig around telephone poles, jump up onto the curb / off of the curb. Doing these things will simulate some of the conditions found on a trail.

What I can say for sure is that it certainly has made running in the city a bit more fun.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2015-01-22 6:37 PM
Parent - By darbycrash Date 2015-01-23 10:19 AM
I enjoyed that. His recuperative powers are extraordinary, for sure.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2015-01-23 3:35 AM
Huh. He went to my HS and is only 2 years younger than me.  He should be in my yearbook somewhere...  I wonder if my brother (3 years younger) knew him...
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2015-05-20 5:11 PM
He just set a treadmill world record for 50K!

From irunfar.com email:

Michael Wardian ran 50k on a treadmill for the third time in two months. This one wasn’t on a cruise ship though. On Tuesday in California, as a kickoff to the annual Hoka One One sales meeting, he clocked 2:59:47 to improve on his former 3:03:56 world record (interview after his previous record). The run was just over a day after he returned from Australia.
After Wardian and the Woodway treadmill warmed up with a 5:50 mile, “it was basically 5:46 pace, which is 10.4 miles per hour,” he explained. “I kept it that way until about 27 miles and then I slowed it down actually because I was starting to rig pretty good. I slowed it to 5:56 pace, and then I picked it up the last three-quarters of a mile. I was able to get under three hours.”
Knowing that this run was on the calendar, the previous record wasn’t ratified. “There’s definitely a big ratimaroll you have to go through,” he said. “I didn’t even bother because I knew I’d just have to do it again.” He expects this record to stick however.
Wardian ran with a fan in front and behind, and the treadmill set to 0% incline, as allowed. A DJ kept him entertained while others, including Magdalena Boulet, joined on an adjacent treadmill for short periods. Wardian’s family took over the DJ station early on and fueled his motivation with Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg, while at another point his brother called into the audio. He also had a crew on hand giving splits and a live Twitter feed reporting on his progress.
With such an event made of the run, Wardian admitted that he told himself, “I’ve got to be able to do it, man. Jetlag or not, I’ve got to try to make this work. It was pretty rad that I actually did.”
That was on Tuesday, May 12. On Saturday, May 16, Wardian ran 1:15 to finish second at the St. Michael’s Half Marathon in Maryland. On May 24, he will target a sub-2:18 finish at the Vermont City Marathon.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2015-05-20 6:22 PM
:shocker!: wow
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2015-05-21 7:01 AM
:shocker!: Holy cow
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2015-05-21 8:44 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2015-05-21 2:42 PM
That's insane.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-01-31 8:45 AM
I slowed it to 5:56 pace

:shocker!:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-01-31 8:44 AM
He just set the record for seven marathons on seven continents in seven days!!!!!!!

From irunfar.com:

American Michael Wardian has a lot of remarkable achievements, but his win at the exclusive World Marathon Challenge might be his best. The ‘race-cation’ concluded early Monday morning Australia time after seven marathons on seven continents in seven days. Wardian ran 2:54 in Antarctica, 2:45 in South America, 2:37 in North America, 2:42 in Europe, 2:45 in Africa, 2:49 in Asia, and 2:45 in Australia.

He averaged 2:45 per marathon, what amounts to a 6:20-per-mile pace, for 183 miles in one week and on seven continents. Wardian, of course, set the event record. On the event’s opening day he also ran the fastest-ever marathon on Antarctica, and while not his fastest, it is noteworthy that he ran in Australia completely in the middle of the night.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-01-31 11:28 AM
Amazing!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-26 5:27 PM
How does that even work with the time differences and travel time? Is there a breakdown somewhere? That's insane!
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-06-26 5:34 PM
I don't know what the schedule was last year but here it is for this year.

EDIT: Just realized that was the schedule for this year & the post I made originally was for this year.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-26 9:33 PM
Holy moly...I complain when I do that kind of travel without having to run a marathon between flight legs! Though I imagine they weren't squished into economy class seats for all those hours.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-06-26 4:57 PM
In case he happens to peek in here after I told him about this thread...

He finished Western States 47th overall with a time of 22:56:16.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-26 8:17 PM
He was the 46th loser. Sad!
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-15 2:51 PM
He finished Hardrock 21st overall with a time of 31:23:45.

Total time for the Western States / Hardrock double = 54:20:01.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / I like Mike!