Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Pickle juice for hydration in a 12-hour ultra
- - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2012-05-01 2:16 PM
Among the many things that I will begin experimenting with for a 12-hour event is pickle juice...the juice within the dill pickle jars. 

I have the telltale salt crust on the temples and in my shirt after a long run that prompts a substantial amount of sweating.  Since it will probably be very warm or hot on September 2nd in St. Louis, I'm wondering if I should mix a little pickle juice with a sports drink to provide more sodium on a hot day.

Has anyone tried this?  I'm also going to get some S!Caps and see how I react to them.  I tolerate the NUUN tablets, and will put them through the experimental phase too.
Parent - - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2012-05-04 1:38 PM
I think S caps secretly have crack in them b/c I get really weirdly giddy hyper excited about 10 min after I take one.  So needless to say, I love them.

I don't think I could do pickle juice
Parent - - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2012-05-10 10:16 PM
LOL

Well, if S caps produce THAT kind of response, then I'm all in with them too!

I'm going to move away from the pickle juice idea.  One of those theories that evidently doesn't turn out well in practice, based on the responses on various message boards.

My main concern right now, other than amassing the miles necessary to get through a 12-hour event and deciding on a run/walk ratio, is maintaining some sort of electrolyte balance in very warm conditions.
Parent - - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2012-05-22 9:10 AM
You don't need to worry about number of miles for a timed event - focus on time! 

I personally like a 4:1 run:walk ratio for a flat timed event (makes the math easier).  If it's not flat, let the hills determine the walk intervals.

I've done a very hot and humid 8 hour (ATL in Aug) - one mile loop and I still carried a bottle, half and half powerade and water.  S cap and a handful of food (no gels ever) every 5 loops.  Worked well for me.  My other timed events have been cold, but I've done the same thing.

Good luck!!!
Parent - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2012-05-22 11:33 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes and the training/race-day tips!  I am looking forward to moving up to an ultra--no been-there-done-that training ruts.

I also won't have to stress out so much if I have to pee...losing a few minutes to that during a marathon was aggravating, especially if a goal time was at stake.  During a 12-hour event--not so much.

On a 1.4-mile loop course, a 4:1 ratio should work...especially early on.  I was thinking about running up to :45-:50 of each hour, then walking until I reach the top of the hour.  Especially if I lose interest in maintaining sharp focus on the run-walk lap ratio.

I agree about staying away from gels--too sticky.  There should be plenty of the standard ultra food fare, and I would probably benefit more from a handful of Lay's Potato Chips than a gel in very warm conditions.

I'm also thinking about using a local 12-hour Relay for Life event as my longest "long run", four weeks before the ultra.  Perhaps 6-8 hours as a final tune-up before a taper.  Several years ago, I actually walked as a one-man band three times in that RFL, for all 12 hours.  Was in woeful shape, and only covered between 20-22 miles in each of them. 

Hot weather is coming to the STL this weekend, so I may go out and get some S-Caps tomorrow to start experimenting with them.
Parent - - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2012-05-09 9:08 AM
That sounds disgusting!: pbbt: 
Parent - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2012-05-10 10:18 PM
:laugh:

I think someone had mentioned that there is vinegar in a standard jar of dill pickles, and that is most likely to make one's stomach turn inside-out. 

After reading stories about football players drinking small amounts of pickle juice several years ago, I thought it might be a viable option for a 12-hour event.  I'm thinking, "not so much" now.
Parent - - By shiznitz [us] Date 2012-05-22 9:39 AM
endurolytes.:hug:
Parent - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2012-05-22 11:36 PM
I will purchase them and work them into my training experimentation!

Thanks for the suggestion!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2012-05-26 4:11 PM
If you're drinking pickle juice, you're basically after salt. But unfortunately that salt comes with a lot of vinegar, too, and that might upset your stomach.

S!caps are a more manageable way to get salt in your system during a hot ultra, as is choosing salty food items at aid stations such as cookies (commercially-baked cookies are pretty high in sodium), pretzels, chips, potato chunks dipped in salt, teriyaki jerky, cheddar cheese, etc.

For what it's worth, I prefer Endurolytes (from Hammer Nutrition) over S!caps because they offer a more balanced profile of ALL the electrolytes you need during an endurance rce and not just sodium.

Good luck with your racing this year!
Parent - By shiznitz [us] Date 2012-06-02 6:56 AM
:grin:
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Pickle juice for hydration in a 12-hour ultra