Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Nutrition / Farmshare/CSA/Garden Idea Thread
- - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-12 9:51 PM
I bought a farmshare this summer and my first pickup is on Friday. I have been looking up ideas for what to do with all this food I will be getting (no, I'm not sharing any with anyone else), however I'm guessing that over the next 20 weeks I may get stuck for an idea and/or be able to learn from others' successes and failures.

Please feel free to post what you have and what you're doing with it (or what not to do!)

:-)
Parent - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-12 9:57 PM Edited 2012-06-12 10:01 PM
Week 1 anticipated pick-up:
Strawberries
Spinach
Lettuce
Kale
Chives
Rhubarb

My Plan:
Frozen strawberries, smoothies, lemonade
Spinach Salads, steamed, ???
Lettuce Salads, ???
Kale juice, white bean sautée, steamed, Thai kale chips
Cheddar chive bread, healthy dip for dehydrated potatoes, frozen
Rhubarb-ginger conserve, oatmeal rhubarb bars
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2012-06-13 6:48 PM
I do this on and off but I get so sick of potatoes. So. Many. Potatoes. :cry:
Parent - - By run4pancakes [us] Date 2012-06-13 9:47 PM
My current CSA is my favorite of all I've tried so far because:

1) They email me on Thursday to let me know what will be delivered the following Wednesday.
2) I can log in to their website and swap out items I don't want from a pretty long list of replacement options.
3) They actually bring a decent amount of fruit (my kids refuse to eat vegetables).
4) I can add on additional grocery items like local farm eggs, local milk, etc.
5) I'm able to have every other week delivery which works out better for us than every week.  I'm better able to use everything up.
6) They package the deliveries in really nice reusable bins with an insulated cooler and ice pack inside which keeps everything cool and fresh even if it sits on the porch for a bit. (We just leave the packing materials out and they take them when they leave our new stuff)

I love these guys!
Parent - - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-13 10:21 PM
Wow!! They sound like they've been around for a while and really perfected the process! I like how customer-friendly they are too...I may steal some of these ideas and pass them on to my place because they are always asking how to improve.

What are you getting/creating? :-)
Parent - By run4pancakes [us] Date 2012-06-15 8:29 PM
Let's see....this week they are bringing lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, red kale (will likely get sautéed with olive oil, garlic, etc), sweet corn (roast on the grill), brocolette (steam, add to salads), strawberries, grapes, peaches, oranges, and potatoes.  I will probably do foil packet potatoes and roast them on the grill since it is too hot to use the oven right now. 

I am growing basil, oregano, rosemary, sweet peppers, jalapeños, and tomatoes but nothing is ready yet.
Parent - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-13 10:24 PM
I bought a food dehydrator this winter and have been playing around with making my own chips...I hear ya; my new home state is a potato state too. One of my new favorite dips is cottage cheese and horseradish blended together...I'm going to see how the chives work in that. And then I will feel ok about my potato love ;-)
Parent - - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-13 10:29 PM
They're also adding a tomato seedling. I am not sure what to do with that...do foxes eat tomatoes? Because we have a pair of them who tear around the property and I think I may get in trouble for feeding him if I plant this thing outside...

ETA: ugh nm the seagulls will eat the plant and I will definitely get in trouble for that...

Can you grow tomatoes in a window? Do cats eat tomato plants?

:cry:
Parent - By run4pancakes [us] Date 2012-06-15 8:31 PM
Chipmunks eat tomatoes, I know that much.  Tomatoes need to be warm and get lots of sun so a window probably wouldn't be the best choice.  You may have to find someone to give it to or something.
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2012-06-14 12:08 PM
I'm lucky in that I have a lot of space and good dirt so I'm growing my own veggies ! 

This year, I'm starting a raised bed for strawberries and starting asparagus.   Currently growing beans, carrots, winter squash, and swiss chard.   At some point, I'd like to get a small greenhouse so I can grow things that require warmer temps and more time.
Parent - - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-14 12:20 PM
You are definitely lucky--and that sounds like a good variety.

Questions:
What are the plans for the strawberries?
Are you going to be canning/pickling those vegetables?
Have you ever dehydrated?
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2012-06-14 5:49 PM
For the strawberries it will be awhile yet before we get start getting berries.  I want to get the ever bearing variety.   It would be neat to make jam but I doubt there will be enough left over.   I don't think I'll be doing any canning.   Most of the stuff gets eaten right out of the garden.   I haven't tried dehydrating.   Some day maybe.
Parent - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-15 9:10 AM
I'm hoping to dehydrate some vegetables this summer. I practiced with carrots over the winter and they were great chips. I want to try beans and peas, too.

Why do the strawberries take so long? (I have never grown them).
Parent - - By run4pancakes [us] Date 2012-06-15 8:33 PM
I'm planning to put in some strawberries next year and probably some blueberry bushes.  My boys love berries and my oldest is expressing interest in the garden so I thought he might enjoy a raised bed of his own to grow fruit. 
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2012-06-17 5:41 PM
Just planted ours today.   You can't beat fresh strawberries.   The ones in the store are pretty bad really.  I like to garden because the produce is so much better.   I'm debating on making an area for a sweet corn/pumpkin patch - maybe next year.   We have a bunch of black berry vines/bushes but no regular raspberries so I might start some of those.   I really need another raised garden box for broccoli too.  So much to do but its fun.
Parent - By D3 [us] Date 2012-06-18 11:53 AM
These spammers are making this board not fun. :-(
Up Topic General / Nutrition / Farmshare/CSA/Garden Idea Thread