Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Trail/Ultra Running Report
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 8:40 AM
Here is a brief report for the Finger Lakes Fifties "50k" (actually 32.9 miles, but who's counting : pbbt:) last weekend:

-- Another hot race -- forecast was for highs in the upper 80s, but not quite that bad during the race.  Started in the mid-60s and finished in the mid 80s, plus the shaded woods seemed to help.
-- Saw CJ before the start -- yay! :grin:
-- Race had about 1/3 mile on a dirt road at the start before heading into woods -- a nice way to avoid some of the initial congestion issues that would otherwise occur on a trail.
-- Fell down about 18 minutes into the run.  "It's a little early for that," the man behind me remarked.  :meh:
-- This was a nice course!  A bit hilly (about 2600 feet of climbing), but nothing too crazy, mostly in pretty forest.  There were some unshaded bits that were hot, but for the most part they offered nice views to compensate.
-- At some point during the run, I remembered that the phrase "respect the distance" is often related as advice for beginning marathoners.  I sort of wished I had remembered that for this race.  :blush:
-- The course repeats the same loop twice, which seemed like a good thing, since the second time around, you'd know what to expect.  Although the same terrain can feel quite different 16.5 miles later, I learned.
-- I made it through the first loop in about 3:19.  I'd hoped to get under 7 hours for the whole thing, but I'd been slowing down enough to make me think it was unlikely.
-- Ended up shuffling in at 7:12, 48th of 116 finishers.  This was four minutes faster than DWD, despite the extra 1.9 miles of course for this one, so I guess that's still improvement -- hard to say with this sort of race.  Still seems mighty slow.
-- Pleased to have gotten another one of these under my belt.  I think if I do another, I'd like to train a bit more.  50k is a long way for a "what the hell!" race.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By sunshine (bisexual philanderess) [us] Date 2012-07-02 12:55 PM
Nice job, JakeJakeJake. :cool: I would think it's tremendously difficult to compare one trail race to another, with regards to time. It's part of the reason I really enjoy them - less pressure I think.

I agree that 50k is a long way for a what the hell race. :laugh:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:18 PM
It definitely feels like less timing pressure for these trail races, although I knew at the end that I'd be doing better -- more running, less walking -- if I'd trained a bit more. 
Parent - - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2012-07-02 1:07 PM
:grin: Great job!

You should have thrown dirt in the man's face when you fell. :mutmad:: pbbt:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:17 PM
I could have grabbed at his ankles as he ran by.  :mutmad:
Parent - - By Fyodorox (he ho) Date 2012-07-02 1:10 PM
Great work, jake!

What would you think you could add to your training that would better prepare you for the race?
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:16 PM
More running, more trail running, a build up in miles before the race; that sort of thing.  Perhaps following a plan of some sort.  :happy:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2012-07-02 1:36 PM
Wow mid pack for a race you haven't really trained for is amazing. Yay Ultra TJ!
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:14 PM
I think some of the 50 mile peeps may have been mistakenly classed as 50k peeps, so my final placement may be somewhat lower.  :meh:  They had really nice wooden trophies, including one labelled "DFL" -- it made me wonder whether you got one of those in your 100k.  :cool:: pbbt:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2012-07-02 5:51 PM
Uncalled for:cry:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 8:25 AM
:blush::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:08 PM
Triplejake, I'm sorry to have missed you! Cowboyjunkie said you were at the race but we didn't get to cross paths. I went out with the intent of doing the 50K as a 'what the hell' run, too, but had some issues and dialed back to finishing a single loop. Beautiful trail, and the weather was better than forecast because of that nice cloud cover for most of the morning. Still pretty hot, though.

Nice job on the 50K finish!
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:12 PM
Oh I didn't realize you were doing this one!  :shocker!:  Sorry to have missed you.  I have not done a lot of trail racing, so I'm no expert, but I thought it was exactly what you'd want in a course -- very fair and runnable.  I would definitely consider doing it again if get a hankering to do another one of these at some point. 
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:27 PM
Awesome!  I think it's the perfect distance for a "what the hell!" race.  Seems you did well. 
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-02 2:39 PM
You're the queen of the "what the hell" race, so I suppose I can't disagree.  : pbbt::hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2012-07-02 6:50 PM
awesome jakejakejale! so happy to hear you enjoyed the run. it is one of my favorite courses :happy: also glad to hear you might come back:cool:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 8:28 AM
It was a really nice course.  The only part I really disliked was the mile or so of meadow/pasture the mile or so before the last aid station -- it was just slightly uphill, which was still enough to thwart me after 29 miles.  :cry:: pbbt:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2012-07-03 11:53 AM
That part is called "the outback." One year a bunch of cows raced me to the aid station!
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2012-07-02 7:49 PM
Congrats 3jakes!!

I think that guy behind you could give you a run for funniest forumite. You should have given him a napkin.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 8:28 AM
I'll napkin him :mutmad:

I'm not sure what that means :sad::roll:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2012-07-03 5:11 AM
Yay triplejake!! That guy does not sound very supportive. I'm glad adamneh didn't say that when I fell in front of him At TA :O

I think you did great, how was your hammy butt issue? It sounds like a really nice course. I'm glad it wasn't as hot as forecasted :D I might like to try this one next year.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 8:32 AM
My injury had improved a lot before the race :grin:, did not bother me at all during the race :grin:, but reappeared a bit as part of my post-race aches and pains.  :meh:  Feeling better today, though.  :happy:

This could be a good 2013 FE race!  It is a nice course, CJ is an organizer, it's a pretty area with lots to do and is within striking distance of a bunch of forumites.  (Even Chicago folks could drive there in a day if they really wanted to.)  :cool:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2012-07-03 2:02 PM
in! :grin: I mean someone needs to bring up the rear, and I gather there's a sweet DFL trophy with my name practically on it :roll:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 2:05 PM
:meh:  I thought you said you actually were DFL in your race, making my comment appropriate.  :mutmad:

Also, it is only a 4.5 hr drive for you -- even closer than for me! :cool:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2012-07-03 2:11 PM
I know, I'm just giving you shit. :cool:

Yes upstate is super close and sounds like an awesome race. I want to make this happen! :D
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-03 2:20 PM
The only downside is that everyone would need to plan way ahead because the race has very limited availability. 
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2012-07-03 6:13 PM
yes I would totally do it! Its only about 2-3 hours away for me. :cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2012-07-04 9:57 AM
anyone who needs a place to stay can come to my house. i am a bit over an hour from the forest :hug:
Parent - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2012-07-03 12:21 PM
Yay!  Something else to look at on this board besides spam.:grin:

Nice racing 3j!  Mid 80's is plenty hot for me.:happy:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2012-07-03 5:41 PM
Well played :cool:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2012-07-05 11:54 AM
Some pics in here for non-FB peeps. 

http://wnyultra.shutterfly.com/pictures
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2012-07-11 7:36 PM
Congratulations on the improvement & best of luck with the next one!
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Trail/Ultra Running Report