Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / High Performance / surgery on Tuesday for a lingering shoulder problem, the tea
- By jingqi86 [cn] Date 2012-09-06 2:38 AM
Melbourne, Australia (Sports Network) - World No. Peyton Manning Youth Jersey . 1 Rafael Nadal will not win a fourth straight Grand Slam title after he succumbed to fellow Spaniard David Ferrer and a leg injury in Wednesdays quarterfinal action at the 2011 Australian Open. The seventh-seeded Ferrer took advantage of Nadals misfortune en route to an easy 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 upset at Melbourne Parks Rod Laver Arena. The reigning French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion Nadal was trying to become the first man in 42 years to capture four straight major titles. The Aussie legend Laver won all four majors, in the same year, in 1969 and 1962. Nadal took an early medical timeout in the first set after tweaking his left hamstring. He was shaking his head while he left the court for some treatment. The top seed returned with his thigh heavily taped, but he was clearly in pain and simply unable to produce on Day 10. Ferrer showed no mercy as he ripped shots to all corners of the court en route to 44 winners in the 2-hour, 33-minute stunner. Nadal fought back tears as he exited the court at Laver. "This is a difficult day for me," Nadal said. "Today I cant do more than what I did, he played at a very high level." Nadal, being pressed about the injury, said: "I dont have to tell you what I felt on the court, but it is obvious I did not feel at my best. I had a problem with the match at the very beginning, and after that, the match was almost over." The 28-year-old Ferrer is now 4-11 lifetime against his countryman Nadal and will appear in his second career Grand Slam semifinal. "This is one big victory for me, but its not like a victory really," Ferrer said. "He was playing with injury...and I had luck. But I played my game." Fireworks lit up the sky during the Ferrer-Nadal encounter on Australia Day. A pyrotechnics show outside the arena interrupted the match for about 10 minutes. As the fireworks entertained, Nadal changed his shirt and briefly left the court. Ferrer, a titlist in Auckland two weeks ago, will meet last years Aussie Open runner-up Andy Murray here on Friday. The nine-time Grand Slam winner Nadal, the 2009 Aussie Open champ, retired from his quarterfinal match against Murray here last year because of a knee injury. Meanwhile, a fifth-seeded Murray reached the semis again with a 7-5, 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3 victory over rising Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov. Dolgopolov couldnt return a cross-court forehand from Murray, sending it long to end the match in 3 hours, 6 minutes. Murray overcame 16 aces and 57 winners from the 46th-ranked Dolgopolov by capturing 75 percent of his first-serve points. Murray tallied only 34 unforced errors, compared to 77 for the free-swinging Dolgopolov, and moved to 2-0 lifetime against the Ukrainian. "It was a really good match. Andy played really well. I was trying to keep up," Dolgopolov said. "I think I was showing a pretty good match, he was just more solid." Dolgopolov stunned former Aussie finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and two-time French Open runner-up Robin Soderling en route to his first-ever major quarterfinal. The two-time major finalist Murray was the runner-up to Federer here last year. The 23-year-old Murray is 2-3 lifetime against the 28-year-old Ferrer, but the Scot beat the Spaniard in their last meeting, in London, at the end of last season. The first semifinal will be staged here on Thursday, when a second-seeded former No. 1 Federer takes on third-seeded former Aussie champ Novak Djokovic. Federer is 13-6 lifetime against Djokovic, including a 1-1 mark here in Melbourne. The Swiss beat the Serb in straight sets in the fourth round here back in 2007 and lost to last years U.S. Open runner-up Djokovic in the Aussie semis in 2008, the year the Serb titled in Melbourne. Djokovic also toppled Federer in last years U.S. Open semis in a five-set classic. The reigning Aussie champ and 16-time major winner Federer was a titlist in Doha three weeks ago. Willis McGahee Jersey . This week brings the NBA Draft (Thursday at 7pm et/4pm pt on TSN), the unofficial start to the off-season feeding frenzy that will dominate league headlines for the next several weeks. The draft not only brings with it the promise of 60 new youngsters entering the leagues ranks, but also a bevy of trades that will reshape the rosters of those involved as much as any teenager picked on Thursday night. Andrew Luck Jersey . Raonic, the No. 5 seed from Thornhill, Ont., served 19 aces in the straight-set victory over the German, who made it to the final of the 2011 event. Quinton Carter Jersey . Tanguay, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, had arthroscopic surgery on Tuesday for a lingering shoulder problem, the team said Thursday. It was not the shoulder that caused him to miss the final two games of Montreals first-round playoff series against Boston. Wes Welker Jersey . However, several other drivers say any talk of a strike is unlikely. "It is a very serious matter, and we were talking about the superlicence price in the last couple of GPDA meetings," said Alonso. Matt Hasselbeck Jersey . Gustavsson made 25 saves for his third shutout in January as Toronto blanked the New York Islanders 3-0 on Monday in the first game of a home-and-home series.The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have signed veteran free agent offensive lineman Tim ONeill.  The 32-year-old centre was most recently a member of the Calgary Stampeders, where he originally signed in 2008. The Edmonton Eskimos drafted the Victoria, British Columbia native in the thirdd round of the 2005 CFL draft and he both attended training camp and spent a year on their practice squad before returning to the University of Calgary for his final year of eligibility. Ryan Fitzpatrick Jersey. ONeill won the Grey Cup in 2008 as a member of the Stampeders.  ' ' '
Up Topic Training / High Performance / surgery on Tuesday for a lingering shoulder problem, the tea