Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Favorite long run fuel (especially on trails)
- - By skydancer Date 2013-06-22 9:29 PM
Subject line says most of it. ;) I seem to be especially adverse to gels when I'm in the mountains; I need some new ideas. What do you use?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2013-06-25 12:21 PM
I'm not much help since I can get by for 3-4 hour with just gels and fluids.

Any of my longer runs I will loop back to the car where I will have food of some sort stashed, pbj or other sandwich, yogurt or pudding, maybe some fruit, fuel up and go. We have done some point to point runs where we've dropped similar aid near road crossings. That might not be an option for a truly remote run. I don't run with a pack but I'd suppose I'd take similar food along if I did. Some people prefer sports related energy products but I prefer real food outside of gels.

Races. I just go with what they have at the aid stations since I have no dietary restrictions that I am aware of other than the "feed me I am hungry" thing.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2013-06-25 12:49 PM
Problem with stashing food on a longer run is that you might not be the first/only mammal to discover it. I presume there are bears in your area too?
Parent - By skydancer Date 2013-06-27 12:20 PM
In my neck of the woods there are definitely bears.
From a practical standpoint (but not a cost, texture and taste one) I appreciate the suggestions, I WISH I could subsist on just gels and water!!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2013-06-25 12:47 PM
Citrus fruit. Those easy-peel tangerines are top on my list. Slip the skin off and start eating. Small enough to fit into a shorts pocket or a small pouch, and sturdy enough not to squish like a banana.

I'm not a gel fan at all.

Jelly Bellies are also good for a quick shot of straight sugar.

Watermelon afterwards, but it's not really a trail friendly food.
Parent - - By skydancer Date 2013-06-27 12:19 PM
Thank you. Jelly Bellies could definitely work. Do you ever have trouble chewing them? What about in cooler weather?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2013-09-23 12:59 PM
I live in southern California, cooler weather really isn't that big a problem.

No, no problems chewing them.
Parent - - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2013-06-27 1:41 PM
I'm a fan of 7-11 taquitos :blush:

Subway sandwiches stuff in a pack well too.  They get smooshed, but taste the same, and one 6" lasts me a good 30-40 miles.  Leave the sauce off and bring packets if you must have it.

I can't stand gels ever!
Parent - By jaybird44 [us] Date 2013-06-27 10:41 PM
Not even GU's latest flavor, Salted Caramel?

It is to die for, if you are a fan of that candy. 
Up Topic Training / Trail and Ultra Running / Favorite long run fuel (especially on trails)