Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / GPS choices
- - By Oog Date 2014-02-11 7:58 PM
I'd like to get a new GPS watch.

A little background, I have bought and tried a lot of GPS watches.  Currently, I'm using the Timex Run Trainer 2.0.  It's okay, but it has a couple of minor issues. I'm thinking of getting a Garmin. I figure my choices are a Garmin 220 or a Garmin 610.  Now the 610 is 2 + yr old technology,  but I can get the watch for around $160.  The 220 is obviously new, but it is not a robust as the 610, but does get rid of that dumb ant+ stick.  The 620 is just too much money right now (unless I could get a fabulous discount)

I've read DC reviews of each but am still stuck. DC;s review of the TRT 2.0 missed a couple of minor, but important points, plus I'm beginning to suspect he's not as impartial as he once was.

Thoughts?
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2014-02-12 11:39 AM
I have a 610 and think it's great for everything I need. Easy to put workouts into. THe touch screen is pretty solid and works even with gloves on. At $160 that's a great deal I think. The 220 is nice, color, lots of techie stuff that I don't think anyone really needs. I don't mind the ant+ stick that much.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-13 10:48 AM
Why do you have so many GPS watches?
To me they seem like an item that you buy and use until it breaks before buying a new one. Of course the only thing that I am interested in is distance and, to a lesser degree, pace. Even my old Garmin has way more bells and whistles than I need.

Do you use different watches for different things or just like experimenting with different brands?
Parent - - By Oog Date 2014-02-13 11:19 AM Edited 2014-02-13 11:22 AM
I don't, but it's a good question.

I only have one at a time. Usually, I like to try different brands/watches and also like to look at some of the upgrades to the GPS chip and the features. It's only after using it that I find a glaring problem.  I also use it for training instead of just running around.  The technology is really interesting to me as the difference between the watches.  Let me put it in a way you can understand...they are like cars to you.  except that I can "test drive" them for a hell of a lot cheaper. (and I don't have a million posts on them. :p)

I feel the exact same way about cars that you do about GPS watches.

Usually, when I get a new watch I either give away the old watch or sell it on ebay.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-13 11:45 AM
Makes a lot of sense.

The "cheap" test drive aspect of running shoes has always appealed to me in the same way.:cool:
Parent - By orbitboy (I dont even have an appendage!) Date 2014-02-17 9:42 PM
I still have my 305 and feel like it's running on borrowed time. I almost bought a 310 on eBay, but spent that $$ on shoes instead.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2014-02-23 1:02 AM
I'm a recent convert to my smart phone.  I really like my 205, but with the smart phone, I can use Mapmyrun and Pandora at the same time.  One less gadget.  Garmin is probably more accurate, but I'm not that concerned.
Parent - - By Oog Date 2014-02-23 9:46 AM
Carry my phone doesn't work out. I don't like arm bands and I can't get the pace while I'm running unless I carry it in my hands. That's no practical.

I freaking hate mapmyrun. they sold out to Under Armour and sold all the data the collected on their users as well.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2014-02-23 1:50 PM
I don't go with an armband.  I just put it in my pocket.  The head phones do sometimes get in the way, but eventually I'm going to buy a Bluetooth head set when they come down in price.

I used to be anal about the pace thing, too, but since I can listen to Pandora AND use Mapmyrun with one device, I'm not that picky anymore.  Plus, I run at night or early in the morning and without reading glasses, so I couldn't see the pace or distance even with the screen lit up.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2014-05-26 11:20 AM
Anyone have experience with either the Garmin Fenix 2 or the Suunto Ambit2 S (or R) ?

I have an old Suunto which is great for keeping track of snowboarding runs and vertical feet.  Very happy with that function and the longevity of the watch. 

I have an old Garmin 301 which is still working fine, but does not track altitude, plus it's huge.

Thinking about combining the two into one new device. 

The Fenix 2 seems to be a bit better device, but seems to still be buggier then the Ambit2 S.

Thoughts?
Parent - By cutter [us] Date 2014-08-07 8:15 AM
I used a loner Ambit 2S for a couple weeks while my Garmin 910 was getting fixed(altimeter issues). It is a decent watch. It tracks altitude via GPS, not barometric altimeter like the Ambit2. I think the Ambit3 comes out this fall.
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / GPS choices