Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / Fresh Foam - who's in
- - By Oog Date 2014-02-13 10:14 PM
in all my excitement of the New Balance meet last weekend, I forgot to checkout the Fresh Foam display they had. 
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-16 8:37 PM
The latest RW shoe review found it to be quite a bit firmer than the average midsole foam.
Parent - - By Oog Date 2014-02-16 9:56 PM
I don't get RW.  But I really don't know what that means. :p
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-17 8:46 AM
I don't put a ton of stock in their reviews (though they do seem somewhat better than they were a few years back) so take this with a grain of salt...

They do some sort of testing to see how soft/firm a shoe's midsole is. The NB Fresh Foam tested to be much firmer than ultra cushioned shoes like the Hokas or Brookss Transcend. It was even firmer than more conventional neutral shoes.
Parent - - By Oog Date 2014-02-17 9:11 AM
I thought it was "Kelly" from Utica giving her "impression" of the midsole.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-17 10:05 AM
:laugh:

I like these shoes because they go on my feet when I Gallowalk.
Parent - - By darbycrash Date 2014-02-18 4:32 PM Edited 2014-02-18 4:41 PM
Review from RWarehouse

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/rs/the-new-balance-fresh-foam-980-first-impressions/

Sounds like they copied Hoka( rocker, high stack height, 4mm offset), but they aren't as soft.

"Honestly, we're excited for New Balance's first take on the more-being-better trend. It may not be your softest or most cushioned shoe, but the 980 will make for a good transitional option for someone who wants to save their legs from the pounding of pavement without completely running on pillows"

I've found when a review describes a shoe as a transitional option that means that shoe probably isn't for me. I don't like tweeners.

Also, when a shoe has that much foam in the midsole, I question just how durable they will be. I know a lot of people say the HOKAS last a long time but I suspect that is because they are mainly used to run on trails which is  a more forgiving surface than the road.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-18 4:49 PM
While i don't tend to like firm shoes I find that they tend to feel newer longer - possibly because you don't notice a loss of cushion as much as you would with a very soft shoe breaking down.
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2014-02-18 4:57 PM
We just got them at the store. I'll see them on Sunday.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2014-02-18 5:04 PM
Say hi for me.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2014-02-25 2:49 PM
They were ok just wearing around the store.  They aren't as soft as I'd expect them to be (unlike the shoes I'm testing for Brooks that are insanly soft and look kinda like Altras). At first I realy didn't like them, then as I wore th em they started to feel ok, but nothing spectacular.
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / Fresh Foam - who's in