Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / One of those days
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-02 9:43 AM
Yes, I have them now and then too...
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-02 9:47 AM
- after disabling and enabling, deleting and installing audio drivers, I've come to learn that the headphone jack on my laptop is jacked up, and it's all my fault for not unplugging things before setting the laptop on the floor, or before my wife could move it and prop it up on the arm of my chair.

- the mower has been wonderfully cooperative, until this morning.  Looks like I'll need to drive into town and purchase a new air filter...

- the first day of the reservoir being open, and it's wet and rainy.  I still might take Layla over for a lap though. 
  I start working there tomorrow morning, taking money at the gatehouse.  12 hrs a week, lots of sitting around, especially as the summer progresses, still getting weekends off so I can do a few races here and there...
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-02 6:48 PM
Tough times indeed.

We don't have an immediate problem, but do have a nagging one with our recently installed water heater which causes me daily observations, diagnoses, parts and work. A daily pain.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-05-17 12:04 PM
Sounds like my sprinkler system.  Every year I have to do some major maintenance work on it.  Either replace a pop up head (not too hard), or last year had to replace the entire breaker and plumbing.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-02 11:25 AM
I finally got out of credit card debt for the first time in over 15 years. It hasn't quite been two months just yet and yesterday I had to put an insane amount of money on the card, surgery for a dog. I honestly had euthanasia in mind but Whitney would have none of that. So now I'm looking at probably another five years of debt.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2017-05-02 12:08 PM
:sad: sorry about the dog.  is it going to be okay?
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-02 12:25 PM
Other than being a pain in the a$$ she is going to be alright. She tore a cruciate ligament & had damage to the other.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-05-02 4:28 PM
:cry:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-02 1:37 PM
:sad:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-05-02 1:52 PM
:cry::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-05-02 4:00 PM
Sorry. It feels so good to be out od debt.

But if it's a choice between credit card debt and your marriage (and your pet) I think you probably made the right decision.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-02 6:50 PM
Damn it. :sad:

But I'm glad that she's going to be ok which of course is the important thing. :hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-02 11:53 AM
Here is a song for you... from Neil Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhbA9wYVs0

Not quite on topic, but it should make you smile in any case.  :happy:

My first world problem... the pool cover pump once again has fried itself in the spring and there is still a bunch of water to be pumped off before I can remove the cover and fire up the pool.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-02 1:38 PM
It's a great song.  If I plug the cord in to the headphone jack and push down on it, I can listen to it through the kind of quality speakers at a volume this song deserves :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-02 6:56 PM
Good song and sort of apropos.:cool::happy:

And I really feel for you peeps with pools and associated problems.:cry:: pbbt:
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-05-02 3:44 PM
Go a notice that the insurance company had rejected a claim because it was sent to secondary rather than primary insurance.  I checked the date and it is when I had some custom orthotics made a few months ago.  The are done for a fixed price of $180.  I paid cash when I got them.  The invoice billed to insurance was for $450+.  I called the hospital billing department and they are unable to explain why insurance was billed when cash was paid and why insurance was billed for 2.5x the advertised cost of the service.  If the hospital had billed primary insurance instead, I wonder if I would have ever caught this.  Wonder how often this happens - have to assume it's all of the time.  Since I worked directly with the admin to pay cash, someone had to go through records after the fact and attempt the billing.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-02 7:01 PM
:sad: I can tell you that this does happen somewhat regularly, at least in PA. Please report it to your state insurance regulatory agency and I'm sure that they will take it seriously.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2017-05-20 12:21 AM
:hug:
- By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-05-03 7:46 PM
Seems like shit is happening to everyone.  Woke up @ 4:30 AM yesterday in time to run to the toilet and puke.  Went to the doc, am better.  Today, twisted my rt. ankle while walking to a restaurant.  Sidewalks and roads here aren't worth a damn if they're near large trees.  The city never fixes these things.  A small child can fall into a pothole and never be seen again.
- By sideshowbob Date 2017-05-03 9:11 PM
My neighbor is as big a narcissist as The Donald. . He is an asshat ,  he knows it  but enjoys the controversy and attention, He has a little ankle biter dog that is never on a leash and shits wherever he wants to . One of these days (and soon) I'm going to call the dog warden.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-16 11:39 AM
Yesterday:  all excited because my doc's office called and said I could get my 30-day Rx changed to a 90-day Rx.  Got to the office, and it was for half the strength.  They corrected it, but I've been dealing with them on this Rx for several weeks.  I hope they aren't messing up more serious stuff.

I also spent too much time in the sun yesterday afternoon.  Got sunburned thighs.  Hope it doesn't affect tonight's run.

Today: waited all morning for a guy to come and give me an estimate on new shingles.  I new he had an issue to take care of at the dentist, but by noon I decided to text him.  He got right back with me, but now I'm sitting around until 2pm.  Layla may not get her walk today.

Drove to the little burg nearby for coffee filters and some other stuff.  Didn't realize she put the ham in a separate bag until I got home.  She's got a bad cold, feels terrible, and is less than on top of things today, so I'll cut her some slack, but she could have at least apologized for not letting me know she had bagged it separate.  (Nice thing about little towns, it was still there when I returned and she remembered me so I didn't need the cash register receipt.)

Anyway, life's not all bad.  Just some annoying niggles here and there...
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-16 6:01 PM
Got double the amount of medication for only 45% more money.  I love CostCo :hug:
- - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-16 3:16 PM
Looks like Western States is going to be run on a snow route this year. Heard a report on our local news radio station this morning that Squaw Valley expects to stay open past July 4th.  :meh:  Very minor in the grand scheme of things but I really wanted the regular route. In looking for a silver lining I did find this statement on the WS website: "We have two alternate “snow” routes to use during deep snow years. If we can’t get into Lyon Ridge and Red Star Ridge aid stations but are still able to access Robinson Flat (like in 2010) we’ll use what we call Snow Route A. This drops down into the French Meadows drainage at the Hodgsdon Gate prior to the Lyon Ridge aid station. By dropping down into French Meadows we are able to get to relatively lower elevation terrain and access the snow route aid stations Talbot and Poppy from Mosquito Ridge Rd. This is actually the original/historic WS route. Once we reach the Duncan Canyon aid station we are back on the regular route through Robinson Flat." So if it is going to be a snow route year I am at least hoping for Snow Route A rather than B.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-16 6:00 PM
Cool!!  Really excited for you that you get to run WS this year.  :cool:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-05-17 11:16 AM
And I hear it's an absolutely beautiful trail down by French Meadows Reservoir.  Smooth and fast.  The snow course is known to run faster than the regular course.  So, there's definitely a bright side if that's what happens.  But they're not committing to it being a snow course yet.  Heavy warm rains could wipe out the snow really fast (if they come, though they'd need to start coming soon.)
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-18 7:58 AM
I'll continue to hope for the best.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-06-06 10:44 PM
Things are looking fairly good. Will be very interested to see the June 10th snowpack report.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-06-16 7:32 AM
The announcement came out last night, we are running the regular course.  :grin:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-17 4:58 AM
:cool:
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-05-17 11:40 AM
You're going to crush it.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-05-17 4:32 PM
The snow was melting at an accelerated rate a few weeks ago.  Then it got cold again.  It's been in the 40's an 50's for the past few weeks and below freezing at night at elevation.  Supposed to warm up by the weekend.  The temps are generally higher than in the past, so there may be more snow melt then they are used to.
- - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-05-17 12:43 PM
Just found out it's going to cost $6,500 to fix the sub-floor and tile in the bathroom.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-17 1:30 PM
:shocker!: - home repairs are out of sight these days.  I should have an estimate on new shingles early next week.  I'm already scared.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-05-17 4:33 PM
It's a pretty easy home project if you are up for it.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-05-17 1:16 PM
so the MRI results i got yesterday showed i pulled my hamstring off the sits bone. full avulsion. it is reattaching with scar tissue but will never be in quite the same position. anyway, no wonder my butt hurt. all the blood and swelling from the tear also aggravated the sciatic nerve. they generally don't operate on these because how of close the nerve is to the tear. anyway..i've been running since May 1 and things are going ok. Doc says as long as it's not hurting okay to proceed and try to stick to flatter stuff. I am staying off anything where i might trip and re-injure.

not sure what to do about a planned run across Ireland. it's June 18-25. too late to cancel and get any $$ back. I am extremely nervous about going ahead with it because I cannot control the terrain there and the consequences if i injured it again. i've emailed the race organizer, told him what's going on and asked him to give me a better idea about the terrain. at least I haven't booked my flight.

i am very grateful to be running again and i don't want to jeopardize things long term by doing something stoopid short term.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-05-17 8:59 PM
No wonder you were having pain. Glad you are running again and hope you continue to heal.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-05-18 6:04 AM
yeah. i was surprised by the extent of the damage.

Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-05-19 5:13 PM
:shocker!: Gosh, like Not OT said, no wonder you were in pain!  I hope the race organizers cut you some slack, like a refund maybe or rollover to next year.  Glad you can run some, and I hope your healing goes smoothly. :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-05-19 7:15 PM
I did tell the race organizer that I was aware of their policy. that it is my wish to roll it over to next year though their policy says that's not possible. I told him my fear and that my first priority was to let this thing heal. He wrote back that he was in Spain and would respond more once back in Ireland. We shall see. Thanks :hug:
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-19 10:43 PM
Whoa, that sounds really awful. Glad things are getting better and I hope you heal well and quickly.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-05-20 8:37 AM
Crap, that's scary.  Can you do the Ireland thing, but just take it super-easy?  Even if you drop, you're still in Ireland, which will be fun.  :wtf::happy:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-05-22 12:29 PM
Well, it's a pretty casual "tour"/run so, yes I can take it easy, but I signed up with a particular experience in mind and to see the things I would see on the routes I would run on the long course. I have been to Ireland before, though I traveled in a different part. Maybe I am not being open minded, but the whole running across Ireland thing is what I wanted to do and what made me interested enough to sign up. My concern is that even "taking it easy" every outing would be fraught with worry about re-injury and therefore not able to truly enjoy it as I hoped. I am nervous enough on technical terrain when I am not injured. I asked him if he could describe the terrain better but have not heard back.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-05-22 2:35 PM
Hmm.  Yeah, that doesn't sound so fun.  :sad:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-17 1:28 PM
Senator overheats during 3-mile race

perhaps i should have posted this in the electrolytes thread
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-05-17 1:56 PM
Or the healthcare one.  Nice for him to be able to afford an ambulance.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-05-18 4:33 AM
Isn't that a prexisting condition ?
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-19 7:55 PM
I almost laughed after LDR's post then almost laughed after yours but then had to check what y'all were talking about and then I did laugh but not too much because it's not funny, just ironic.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-05-19 9:13 PM
Who was the wise man that said " laughter is the best medicine " ?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-05-20 2:57 AM
And with Trumpcare, laughter is your only medicine!: pbbt:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-20 9:48 AM
Well played :hug:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-05-18 7:28 PM
One of these days I hope I can get thru a normal day of activities without being so feckin tired .:sad:
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-05-19 12:54 PM
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-05-19 5:14 PM
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-19 7:56 PM
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-05-20 9:48 AM
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / One of those days