Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's Thursday - here's the daily!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-18 10:41 AM
The word for today is HOT!  Here in the northeast it broke 90 for the first time this year yesterday and will be a few degrees hotter today!  What's it lie where you are?

Post your run, workout, and anything else worth mentioning.  ...also, since we apparently skipped the daily yesterday let us know what you did on Wednesday too!

Bonus: Have "critters" ever tried to make their home in yours or important units located outside/next to your home?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:08 AM
Over 90 yesterday, already today & forecast for tomorrow.  Then a high of only 71 for several days :wtf:

Yesterday's heat inspired me to turn our central AC on for the first time yesterday.  I was happy to hear the blower in the basement come on but disappointed when I realized the air coming out of the ducts wasn't cool & that was because the condenser unit outside wasn't working :cry:   Fortunately I have it covered (to a point) with the few extra bucks I pay on my utility bill each month and a serviceman came this morning.  A mouse made a nest inside the condenser unit and apparently chewed thru a wire "disarming" the unit.  He had it fixed in less than 20 minutes!  Yea!!! 

30 minutes later the guy came to start up my sprinkler system.  Earlier this morning, after I turned the water supply to the sprinklers back on, I noticed a leak at the valve outside (coincidentally just a few feet from my AC condenser) but the tech just had to replace a small part, no charge for that either!

Yesterday's workout was teaching 6am cycling class.  Today's workout will be similar but just at 6pm.

Bonus:  Other than the mouse nesting in my AC condenser, many years ago we had a squirrel eat thru screening in the eve and get into our attic.  Her nest was considerably larger than the mouse's!  I evicted the squirrel and reinforced the screening. ..she hasn't been back!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:31 AM
Nice to have quick fix for "free".
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-18 12:24 PM
Phew on the AC fix. Man you are scoring on the free repairs!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:40 PM
I wonder what it is about wiring that makes it so appetizing to rodents. 

You had two lucky breaks with today's repairs :cool:  This might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket :wink:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:22 AM
It's HOT here! I am loving it so far. I will not be loving it when it's HOT for more than 2 days in a row. I hate that it's so cold indoors because the a/c is cranked up. :cry: I also hate that my feet look so ugly in sandals right now. I didn't even paint my toenails. :shocker!:

Run/workout: SDO from running. Maybe some stretching tonight. I ran 3 easy miles yesterday.
Blather: packing for Maine tonight! Hitting the road first thing in the morning after dropping the dog off at the kennel. Super excited and getting nervous for the race on Sunday!

Bonus: we had a squirrel in the house this winter. He hung out in the walls of the basement and drove the dog nuts! :laugh: We had an exterminator set a trap and it took a few days, but the squirrel finally got caught and was taken away to a farm or something. : pbbt: We got chicken wire put up over the possible places where the squirrel could have gotten into the house.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:31 AM
Yes, I am sure the squirrel was taken to a farm.:roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-18 12:02 PM
Good luck!

...pius, what Blazer said about the squirrel :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-18 12:21 PM
Have a safe trip and great race this weekend. The weather is cooling down right, or should we ask godogo?!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:35 PM
I'm so excited for your race!!  Hope all goes really well!!!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:56 PM
Excited for you!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:27 AM
It was 78 at 5:15 when I headed out for my run today.  Not sure what it is getting up to.....upper 80's? 90's?  This is where we will stay for the next 3-4 months except for the days we go above 100. :roll:  I feel lucky we have made it to mid-May and only a handful of my early morning runs have been when the temp was over 75. 

Wednesday was SDO running and boxing class in the evening.  We had a new gal in the class....very fit looking and probably about 25.....and she only lasted 15 minutes before I thought she was going to get sick.  I encouraged her, telling her it gets "easier" after a while.  She wanted to know when the a/c was going to get fixed and seemed afraid when I explained Jerome NEVER turns on the a/c.:shocker!:  The gym has a thermometer which shows the temp and it was only 84 in there yesterday, so I am not sure how she will do when it gets into the 90's in the gym!

10 miles this morning, first 4.5 were MP less 20-45 as I was trying to stay with my blonde.  The last 5.5 were MP plus a bit as I added some hills.  No boxing class tonight.

Blather: I was trying to get a deal closed yesterday and as is typical, there were a lot of balls in the air.  I was on the phone with my client several times as we were trying to work out things without racking up an even larger legal bill.  One time I called him, he answered and immediately told me to please excuse him, but he was in the restroom and didn't want to miss the call.:laugh:  Up until that point, I felt he and I had what is probably the beginning of a great relationship, but now I know it!:laugh::grin:

Bonus: A couple of weeks ago we had a squirrel in the house.  The big dog hid, the little dog just eyeballed it from across the room and blazerman said he "was too busy on a work thing":roll: to get it outside.  Luckily, blazerboy found de-squirreling the house an exciting task and got the varmit out of my living room.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-18 11:56 AM
Your blather. :laugh::laugh: Although I do confess that I thought you might be going in a different direction when you said there were lots of balls in the air... : pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-18 12:20 PM
84 in the gym... yikes!! Way to show up the youngster.  :cool:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 7:55 PM
Yaay blazerboy! Too funny about Tonks. :laugh: Yesterday I thought Pepper got a bunny for sure, I stood in the yard screaming leave it with my yes shut, but happily the bunny outsmarted her and squeaked out under the gate just in time. :shocker!:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:32 PM
I was watering plants for a neighbor a couple of years ago, and I squirrel got into their house.  It was pretty freaky going into a house that was supposed to be empty but feeling very definitely like there was something alive in there :shocker!:  We tried to leave the little devil alone while we worked out an escape plan -- closed as many interior doors as we could, propped open the doors to the outside, and then chased him out.  We had thought the damage was minimal, but later the folks who lived there discovered that the little shit ate all the cords to the window blinds while he was in the house :wtf::wtf:

:evil::grin: about the new kid
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-18 12:17 PM
Hot here today, lower 90's. I believe more seasonable weather this weekend. Had to fire up the AC last night to get some sleep. Sweltering I tell you upstairs.

Workout: Plan is for 10-12 miles tonight at French Creek. I am planning a run into sunset and then darkness for a bit of night running practice. At least that is the plan. 8 last night at Green Lane. Still mucky out there in places from last weekend's rain. Sort of funny, Saturday I ran out there layered up in 48 degrees and rain and last night shirtless in 88 degrees with high humidity. Sort of slogged the last few miles, but ran into some friends the final mile. Hadn't seen them out there in ages.

Bonus: Mice occasionally in the garage. Funny one was some type of birds, not robins. They nested in the vent for my stovetop one spring. I turned on the blower thinking it would get them out once they hatched, but it freaked them out, and they got stuck in the venting. I could hear them moving about in the vent over the stove and they would not go out. So we opened up the vent in the house/kitchen and out they came, flying about and freaking us out. Eventually shooed them out the patio door without any damage from bird shit. I have a grate on that outside vent now.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:27 PM
Nice you found good company for your last mile :cool: 

When is your next race?  Sorry, but I lose track :forgetful:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 8:13 AM
June 17, Mohican 100. I am hobbling on/off through this year's training, but had a very solid 50k trail race so just hope to get to the start line over most of my niggles. Really just 2 more weeks of training, well not quite even that now, then taper.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-19 8:21 AM
I'm sure you've told us before, but I lost track.  Ah yes, and though the 50K is impressive in itself, it is a tune-up for the race in June.  OK, now I've got it!!  Good luck with the last two weeks of preparation :wink:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-18 12:54 PM
6.5 miles this morning. 3 yesterday. Track workout on Tuesday (4 x 800m in about 3:20 each).

Blather: I'm...uh...doping. I think so anyway. I mentioned to the urologist a while back that my race times have slowed down a lot in recent years. Not just age-related slowing, but people my age who I used to be faster than are now routinely beating me. So he did some blood work, and sure enough, I'm at the low end of the range of what is considered a "normal" testosterone level for a male my age. So I'm on medication which is supposed to boost my body's natural testosterone production. I looked it up and I think it's banned for elite level athletes. As for me, well...

Best critter story: Many years ago my BIL moved to New York City. He didn't want to sell his car so he left it in his parents' driveway. It sat there for so long that the asphalt had 4 divots from the 4 tires. And some squirrel built a nest and raised a family right in the engine block. I think he finally sold the car a few years later at a fire sale price.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:14 PM
Glad you found a possible explanation for the slowdown.  You know your secret is safe with us, at least until you beat Galen Rupp :wink:  But seriously, I hope you're feeling better, too. 

Squirrels :roll::  We have to watch that ground squirrels don't climb under the camper.  They're famous for eating wires and God know what else.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-18 1:39 PM Edited 2017-05-18 1:44 PM
i think we are supposed to hit 80 here next week. :grin: We were in the middle of washington over the weekend and the day after we got back, it snowed in the mountains over the pass we drove over. in MAY! it's been the wettest year on record so far. i'm ready for 80. :grin::laugh:

Run commute into work this morning. 12.5 miles with 10 at mp. very successful overall and i'm pleased considering i was pretty tired earlier this week. yesterday was a planned rest day however.

the in-laws have landed. :shocker!: their house in ABQ was packed up and loaded yesterday. they are now residents of washington. it's been stressful of course as things came up. Now they wait for the moving truck and fret. it's very strange that they aren't going back to ABQ. 

i am back to full time work starting this week as there are multiple vacations planned for my team. i've really been using that extra day to do stuff for the coaching group so have been playing catchup the past few days. finally yesterday evening, i'd caught up well enough and could take the evening off!

the training camp went well this past weekend. We did have one idiot athlete though. :meh: A friend of a friend who is the total type a/overboard athlete. She is a triathlete and has done multiple half irons etc. she's got a goal race a week out. took a spill on bike drills and skills (we do this on grass and considering her experience as a triathlete i was shocked by her poor bike handling skills! :shocker!:) and either pulled something (likely - she is wound tight in every sense in the word! :laugh:) or cracked a rib. And chose to continue running and biking and doing everything else with it. :roll: Because running 8 miles the week before a goal event is going to matter? so strange to be one of the coaches in this instance. and she did admit that she's had many, many overuse injuries. no surprise there. the demons she must have are grim. :sad:

more blather: while i was gone i got handed the most ridiculous project at work. they've been talking about rebranding the company for 7 months and now all of a sudden they are doing business cards. confirm all information in my office for 450 people in two days. :roll::shocker!::roll: it's been ridiculous as the information i was given didn't even have phone numbers because no system at work seems to talk to another system. :jobsecurity:

bonus: we've had rat problems before in our attic. :shocker!::cry: we finally got it all closed up and haven't had any issues lately. however the insulation (a combo of blown in cellulose which is the old stuff and fiberglass rolls) really needs to be all pulled out and re-done. they made a mess. : pbbt: <-vomit emoji
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 7:59 PM
Okay I will confess my bike handling skills are piss poor. :blush: I was going to take a skills class, but it was  a day before I started my new job and I decided showing up bruised on day one wouldn't be smart. :roll:: pbbt:

Sounds like a crazy busy time for you. Hope you get a break over the weekend.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-19 9:27 AM
you should try one! :grin: a couple of times. :grin: none of the skills and drills we do are done at a fast pace. it's a great way to test things on the bike and gain more confidence.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:11 PM
It's just odd, but today at work we had a discussion about whether or not it's possible to run with a rib fracture.   For the record, I cannot.   We also talked about what we'd been through when we ignored warning pains :roll:

Your in-laws -- here's to their new beginning :hug: 

Back to full time :sad:  but props to you for being a good team player.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-19 9:25 AM
i agree. i could barely do anything when i had cracked a rib. this gal- torn tfl, separated IT band (:shocker!:), twice (:shocker!::shocker!:) and the list of overuse injuries was very long.  and she was telling some of our new runners that they were slow :meh: and needed to do thus and so. :mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-18 1:54 PM
We had 90 degrees the past couple of days but haven't quite hit that today. We're now into the time when it will be more unlikely than not that we are over 90 and any mornings with temps in the 60's are a treat.

It was in the upper 60's today and quite humid as we headed to the trails for 8 miles. We hit the section of trail that has been recently reworked and two bridges have been constructed. It adds a little bit of distance and some nice variety to the old route. As school is almost over, I hope I can get my running partner out here more often.

Bonus: We had a mouse in the house a few weeks ago but one of the pets got him. Best was a family of woodchucks who lived under the house I rented just after I was out of college. They made quite a racket!!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:03 PM
Nice you've gotten some upgrades on your trails.  I know what you mean about the consistently warm weather that lies ahead. 

Bonus:  Did one of your pets present you with the mouse?  How did know it had been eliminated?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-19 7:55 AM
It was in the middle of the floor with no one of them right nearby to claim the kill. I was surprised that the dog hadn't taken a bite or two.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 7:59 PM
It's hot here, but that's not news-worthy.  We were camping west of San Antonio Sunday through Wednesday, and enjoyed nicely comfortable weather -- not too hot and not too cold.  Lots of hill running because, hey!  It's Hill Country!!  Actually, I was very pleased with how well I was able to run the hills, all things considered.  This morning's run was back in the heat:  81 degrees with a 74 degree dewpoint, so a sweatfest. 

Wednesday: our last day at Pedernales State Park.  Weather forecast called for rain, which started at 5 am, but ended at 6, so I was able to get in one last short run.  We also decided to give birding one last try, and our efforts were richly rewarded, first by spotting maybe half a dozen painted buntings and then an ecstatic photographer walked out of a trail, announcing that he had finally located and photographed several golden cheeked warblers.  DH and I have searched for these birds for a couple of years, so I begged the guy to show us where he'd seen them.  The guy took us to the spot and within just a couple of minutes, a family of GCW's, complete with a fledgling appeared.   It was absolutely magical.  The photographer even got a few more shots for himself.  We didn't have a good enough camera, but it doesn't matter.  We saw them, and it was very exciting.  The species is endangered because of habitat destruction, so who knows when we'll get to see them again :cool:

Critters:  When DH was working in Virginia, I was sure I had a critter nesting in the walls of the house.  I called pest control, but they set out glue traps outside the house and set a rat trap in the attic.  It took me about two hours after the guy left to decide I would rather have a critter in the wall of the house than find  one dying in a glue trap, so I picked everything up.  If indeed there was a critter in the wall, it has since moved out or died without smelling up the place.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:05 PM
Very cool about the bird sighting.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 8:14 AM
The painted buntings are amazing!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-19 9:27 AM
i really want to see a painted bunting!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:04 PM
Toasty today. Also we are supposed to get "weather" our way. Tornado watch.

No run. Woke up groggy and tired, I posted on FB but the greta guardian of the household felt compelled to bark her ass off at the tadaaa tie in to the bonus critter in the gutter. (ha that rhymed) It's gone I hope.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:21 PM
Some day you will understand and appreciate Pepperness risking life and limb to save you from the drain pipe menace.   Our neighbors across the street are right on the golf course.  A sprinkler head blew off during the night, the water came on, the wind started up and sprayed water onto their windows for hours, causing their dog to bark non-stop.  No one is on grounds duty during the night, so they were bleary-eyed the next morning and not very happy with the maintenance staff at all. 

Hope the severe weather misses you!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-18 8:57 PM
:laugh::shocker!:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-19 9:28 AM
meanwhile pepper slept so well having done her duty.  :cool::laugh:

hope the storms aren't bad. :sad:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's Thursday - here's the daily!