Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Pay it forward for the Friday Daily
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-19 7:38 AM
For today's daily, please tell us about a time you were on the receiving end of a pay it forward act of kindness and/or what have you done to pay something forward?   Please also share your workout details, food, drink and weekend plans. 

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 8:10 AM
Struggling to recall random acts of kindness towards me. Sure friends and such help me out all the time, but random strangers, nothing jumps out at me. For the most part I just try to be civil, holding doors so they don't slam into people's face, letting a car out now and then in tricky traffic spots, and of course always leaving the breakfast waitress a $5 tip regardless of the amount of the bill.

Workout: Sunset/night time run at French Creek last night. 11 miles on one of more difficult loops I have out there. LOL, it's get harder every year. Finished up around 9:30pm, had about an hour of headlamp running. The deer and I spooked each other multiple times. Temps were still above 80 when I finished up, but there was a nice breeze up in the trees... but not down in the forest. Plan is 7-10 this evening with the Lady at Coventry Woods.

Food/drink/blather: Breakfast out today as we went annual shopping. Western omelet, hashbrowns, toast, 1/4 of a waffle. Coffee and ice water. Picked up some tomato plants, peppers for the garden and petunias, gerber daises for the flower beds.

Weekend plans: I am on call, but hopefully it will be quiet. Plans are 2 mid-distance runs, 8-12 miles, finish the mulch-a-rama project, cut the grass, plant the garden, chill. Ice bath in the pool perhaps as well.
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-05-19 8:38 AM Edited 2017-05-19 8:42 AM
I've been on the receiving end of pay it forward acts of kindness a few hundred times in the last year and a half from people I know and people I don't know. Couldn't begin to list them all. I'm very grateful and will spend the rest of my life repaying other kindness forward.

I ran three miles this morning. To add to my list of things I've found while running, I saw a bag of pot laying on the street near the curb.

Weekend plans: See above :laugh::laugh: (kidding)
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-19 9:26 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 12:20 PM
Score on the weed!!  (sort of kidding!)

You need to post that over in L&O daily. IB over there always reports his coin findings. I believe he might be interested in your score today!
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-05-19 8:56 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-20 4:05 AM
Ha!  DH and I found a bag of weed on one of our hikes!  Coincidence? 

the acts of kindness during difficult times :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-19 8:46 AM
The photographer who helped us find the warblers on Wednesday morning said specifically that he was "paying it forward" for the times people had shown him rare birds.  He was such a nice guy.  We tried to pay his favor forward ourselves by telling two groups of campers where to look. 

This other example of paying it forward is something only other runners could appreciate:  I had taken a bio break at a construction site, and a block later, found half a roll of toilet paper lying in the street.  First I ran by it, but then I circled back, picked it up and then returned to the porto.  Although I didn't stop and put the TP inside, I did lob it so that it landed right at the door and the next person to use it would be able to put it inside.  Not the kindest deed in the world, but hopefully someone will appreciate it, and hey!  I cleaned up the street in the process :grin::grin:

Today was a short little run in miserable heat and humidity.  Ugh.  I can't even think about the four months of this that lie ahead :cry: but apparently I AM thinking about it
Later this afternoon we have our training session which will probably include legs.  Gawd, is that gonna make tomorrow's LR suck, but it's our own fault for going on vacay and missing sessions earlier in the week.  LR will only be 12 miles as RP has a half marathon in two weeks.  No other plans at all :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 12:21 PM
Ok, what exactly was the roll of toilet paper doing in the street? You and Jen are finding some odd stuff today.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-19 9:25 AM
While I am certain he didn't see is as an act of kindness, just professionalism, a young man on my team (he is 28ish?) did something for me yesterday which blew me away.  He had an early meeting in which a deal opportunity was discussed.  It sounded very similar to an opportunity to a deal I have been working hard to land so, he called me to make sure he was not stepping on my toes or perhaps, maybe they were two different deals which simply sounded similar.  Before I answered his inquiry, I told him that in the past 25 years, about ZERO PERCENT of the time, has a male colleague behaved in this manner.  Instead, we would get in a pissing match over the deal.  This young fella could not believe (a) men acted like that and (b) men had the balls to act like towards me!:laugh: FWIW, they are two different deals.  As for paying things forward, I do my best to assist the junior people on my team at work.  But that of course, is also simply, professionalism.

Three easy miles today.  I am feeling beat-up and am glad this weekend is an easy weekend since my race is a week away.  Weekend plans include an early 10-12 miler as the boy has a 9:15 basketball game. Sunday is "Senior Sunday" at church and the services are led by the high school kids so the boy's praise band is playing. I haven't heard them all year, so I am excited about that.  But, after church, the parents of the juniors (of which I am one) are hosting a lunch for the seniors and their families. I think about 140 people are expected, so that is going to suck a huge portion of my day.:roll:  I guess that is kinda a pay-it-forward scenario as other mothers will host the luncheon for us next year. 

Blather update:  The boy had the dance audition portion of the show choir tryouts last night.  Of the nine boys (six will make it) he said two are awesome and the other seven boys, including himself, range from kinda shitty to incredibly awful dancers. :laugh: He was feeling confident as he thinks he is in the "middle range" of awful dancers, but the best singer of those boys.  We shall see in a week or so.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 12:23 PM
Another race for you... my head is spinning trying to keep up with you maniacs!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-19 12:06 PM
My neighbor (on the left) has a gas powered snow blower and a few times when we've had bigly :roll:  snows he's cleared my sidewalk.  I've done similar for my neighbor (on the right) a few times, with my shovel (since I've only had 1 opportunity to use my battery powered snow blower).

My workout today was a 28.7 mile bike ride.  It was HOTTTTTT!  93 degrees by the time I finished around noon.  Our 3-day heatwave is supposed to break after midnight and it won't get out of the 60s tomorrow!  I'm planning my first lake swim tomorrow morning :roll:  I hope the lake holds a lot of the warmth it's getting today since the forecast says the air temp will be 61 around the time I expect to be there :shocker!:  Next weekend won't be much warmer, certainly not in the days just prior to it and I have the Tri where I jump off the boat into the bay the following weekend so I need to get at least 1 open water swim in before then.

I just had a turkey burger for lunch, leftover from Wednesday night's dinner.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 12:24 PM
It's shrinkage I tell you!  :laugh:

Good luck with the cold water. : pbbt:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2017-05-19 12:21 PM
No time to answer all the questions. : pbbt:

I'm heading out the door to drive to Joplin, Missouri for a marathon in the morning.  It's been said that Doughboy is in town!

I did a quick check of the weather forecast and was ecstatic to learn that it called for fair skies, low in the morning of 46* and a daytime high of *67.  Woo-hoo! :happy: I was shocked to find out the weather forecast had changed so much.  Then I noticed that The Weather Channel website had auto-filled Joplin, Montana. :meh:  So, I am really looking forward to thunderstorms and temps in the high 60s into the 70s. :cry: I hope they don't cancel this thing...

Ya'll have a groovy weekend!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-19 12:25 PM
Joplin, that's a stones throw from OK. Have a good race, and I hope you dodge the storms.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-19 1:02 PM
This one's easy for me. So many people were so good to me in the wake of losing K a year and a half ago. This includes many of you, my favorite imaginary friends. People brought us meals, drove the kids to their activities, raked the leaves in my yard, and did many other things to help us keep afloat. And everyone kept asking how they could do more. The local non-profit which provides support to families who have lost a loved one was and still is a huge source of community and support to me and my kids, and everything I've done there has come at no cost to me. So to "pay it forward", I decided to tap into everyone asking how they could help, and steer them towards raising funds for that organization. Thus my marathon fundraising efforts, which raised a total of over $50K! Thank you to the many of you on here who were part of that fundraising effort.

5 miles this morning. Grilled chicken on the deck last night. First outdoor meal of the season. Made me think of Roger.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-19 1:28 PM
The two main guys that I run with make an effort to pick up local beer whenever we travel and bring some back for the others. I have to expand my beer selection because neither of the other two guys like IPA's (which are my favorite). I also let them know about specials as I pay more attention to social media posts. My favorite SC beer was released on Tuesday and I scored 3 bottles and helped one guy get 2.

5 miles solo today at noon. The oldest local half marathon is tomorrow. This race was traditionally held in November but last year they moved it to May to "improve." Nobody is buying that and we all know it is just to avoid the scheduling issues in the fall with college football. Being such a huge part of our city. My two beer loving running friends and I will have an enjoyable run and not race the half.

I have a big cut-over at work so will be working some extra tonight and again tomorrow after the half. Any extra time will be spent on yard work.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-05-19 9:03 PM
I can't think of anything special I've done. I don't think I'm an asshole most of the time.:laugh:

Workout: 6 mi on TM. It was still hot when I got out of work. I thought the cooler weather was coming in at 3pm but it was delayed.
Food: Big Salad
Drink: Riesling
Weekend: Sat dinner with family friends, Sunday dinner for my sister's Bday

Have a good weekend!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Pay it forward for the Friday Daily