Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Mad, Mad, Monday Daily!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 7:54 AM
What's driving you mad in your world? Has everyone gone so mad they forgot to post this weekend? Let's hear about those mad exploits, especially if you had some great racing this weekend!

The usual...

Bonus: Did you ever see the movie, The Madness of King George?
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 8:12 AM Edited 2017-05-22 8:14 AM
My son is sending me over the edge. He got into some academic trouble last semester, but was too freaked out or embarrassed to confide in anyone (especially his parents:roll:), so we just found out when we checked his final semester grades. Philip and I have been pretty stressed about that, but it's starting to calm down. Harry's accepting the consequences, and Philip and I are accepting that he needs more structure than we thought, for his age. At least, if he's going to be one of those kids who lives in their parents' basements until they're 40, he can clean the mouse crap down there! :silverlining: I'm enforcing a strict workout schedule, he needs to get some discipline back in his life. He ran this morning, and wants to check out the Y and Crossfit, and decide which one. Meanwhile he has a job delivering pizzas and doing other work at the pizzeria three days a week, so I want him to look for more work. He needs to be busy!

4.5 miles this morning, made it back before the heavy rain. I will double tonight, I need to start getting into that habit before NYCM training starts in July. Crockpot chicken tacos for dinner. I had a bowl of cheerios with raisins and soy milk this morning. Blather: I'm thinking about taking some HIIT classes at a small gym in town, and making Isabella come with me. Anyone else ever try HIIT classes?

Bonus: Yes, I never knew about that episode of insanity. So strange! Some historians believe it was caused by a disease called Porphyria.:wtf: But most recently it's believed to be bipolar disorder.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:40 AM
My boxing classes are basically HIIT classes, especially on the "cardio" days.  Few non-running things will kick your butt more than 3 minutes of burpees, 3 minutes of pushups, 3 minutes of mountain climbers, etc., broken up by the random 3 minutes of punching of the bag.  The right class will work the parts of your body you never work while running.  I suspect it will be very helpful with your back issue!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:53 AM
Sorry about Harry. FWIW, I'm sure this has been weighing on him for a very, very long time.

Structure is a good thing. I was that kind of kid, too :hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:25 PM
Ugh sorry about the stress over Harry. He seems a smart kid though and hopefully he will feel comfortable talking to you guys about it.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:45 PM
If you're like me, it's not that it happened that upsets as much as the fact that he didn't tell you.  That is a big issue with me, and I sure wouldn't wish it on you.  Hope he learns from it and makes things right with you-all.  Looks like he's working on it. 

So what made you think of the King George movie?  :wtf:  No agenda, just wondering.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-24 5:56 PM
Harry did not confide in me, which isn't that unusual, but he didn't say anything to Philip either, and that is strange. I am upset about it, and we have been talking about it now, but mostly I'm sad because I don't trust him at all now.

I found the whole incident of King George's temporary insanity so fascinating, I didn't know about it before I saw the movie. I was thinking about the movie, and that led to a daily topic.:laugh:
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2017-05-22 6:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the stressful school stuff with your son.....that is hard to deal with, but you know he is a bright kid and will figure it out....we have been through some struggles with our oldest but it is seeming to get better now......everybody is different so I can't pretend to know enough to give you meaningful advice.......just wishing you (and Harry) luck....
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-22 8:52 AM
No mad exploits this weekend :meh:

On Friday I rode my bike, on Saturday I thought about going to the lake for an open water swim but decided water temps in the low 60s and air temps in the 50s sucked so I skipped it and swam indoors yesterday.

Today's workout was teaching cycling class followed by some core & shoulder PT exercises.

Bonus:  I have not but I did see the movie "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:43 AM
When I was a kid, I don't think ANYTHING in the world made me laugh so hard as this scene.  Even now, if I am very down/sad/angry, I will google it and watch because Sylvester is the BEST!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1r5f_vufIs
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:54 AM
It would have been FREEZING on Saturday :cry:

Good call.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-22 11:00 AM
But it may have been good training for 6/4 when I Jump into the Delaware Bay off Cape May.  Even if the air temp is warmer then, I'm pretty sure the bay water will be cold :cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:41 PM
I remember seeing that movie at the drive-in :laugh::laugh:  What a cast!!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-22 9:19 AM
This weekend was mulch madness here. So besides running I was moving massive amounts of mulch to the beds around the pool, splitting up and replanting day lilies, and moving a few rose bushes and shrubs. So very little time for forumizing. Thankfully it's Monday and I have conference calls!

Oh, as I was typing this I was talking to the PA department of revenue and of course that made me mad. I need to fill out and fax some stupid appeal form to explain why there assessment on my 2013 return is wrong. Wish me luck.

Workout: 9 on Saturday, 9 on Sunday, total of 63 for the week. Today, well it's raining which is good since we planted so much over the weekend. It's not very hard rain and might be gone in time for my evening run. I've haven't decided the trail for tonight. Maybe just do my regular loop at Coventry Woods and tack on a bonus mile or two.

Blather: Last big week of Mohican training. I'd like to get in 70 for the week plus a 26-30 mile long run. I am going for the long taper not that my training has been particularly hard or awesome. My body needs the extra rest.

Blather: Nope.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:46 AM
Few things in the world make me as irritated then when someone asks me to FAX them something!!!:mutmad::roll:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-22 11:04 AM
There was a 10K at Coventry Woods yesterday that our USATF Assn. uses as part of the "Off Road" series.  Fortunately the series coordinator does the age-graded scoring for that and all I do is post a couple of PDFs for her.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 8:09 AM
There were some crazy fast time there... top 10 were below 45 minutes with the winner around 37 minutes.. on a trail course with about 800 feet of climbing!  :shocker!:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:34 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I stopped gardening!:laugh:

Good luck with the assessment department.:roll:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:32 PM
The IRS is one of my least favorite organizations.  Good luck with your appeal.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:39 AM
Mad: Soccer. Coaching a team of high schoolers this season. Good kids. The league placed us up too high (competition-wise) and despite playing well, the boys have been on the losing end of a few blowout games. Yesterday was one of those. What pisses me off is that a few of the other towns have seemed to sandbag their team's expected level in order to end up in a group where they demolish the other teams. Yesterday's opponent definitely fell into that bucket. And the kids and coaches were just kind of arrogant and disrespectful towards my players. Jerks.

Not mad, just sad: Trying to figure out the future with my girlfriend. She's wonderful, but the timing just might not line up to allow us to keep going. We're just both at different places in terms of how much free time we have (believe it or not, she's more squeezed than me) and how much energy we can put into things right now. We may be able to keep things going on a "slow plan" for now, and then reassess later. For the moment we're hanging on by a thread.

6.5 miles this morning. Cereal, water, Clif bar, Diet Coke. Woke up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep (see above).

Bonus: No. But have you heard the song "One Step Beyond" by the band Madness?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:48 AM
Bummer about the soccer.  There is only so much "character building" high school boys can put up with before it takes a toll.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:09 AM
Funny coincidence (or maybe not): I've never had a bad encounter with a team from a town along the marathon route. I love playing Natick - always competitive teams, great fans, great sportsmanship from the players and coaches. I became good friends with a Wellesley coach who I faced many times. Yesterday's opponent was a "non-marathon route town" and I've had multiple bad encounters with them. Hmmmm....
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:02 AM
That's REALLY annoying about the soccer - really sucks the fun out of playing. Wonder if there is opportunity for some kind of oversight or audit into the sandbagging.

Sorry about the gf stuff. That sounds like a hard situation :sad:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:44 PM
Annoying about the soccer team.

Sorry about the GF stuff. That's hard.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:37 PM
Hi Tim!:hug:

Unless you and your girlfriend are in a particular rush for some reason, there's nothing wrong with taking it slow!

I have not heard that song, I'll look it up.:cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:40 PM
The soccer league -- ugh! 

Relationships can be exhausting in the best of circumstances.  Hope you two are able to find a good balance.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-05-22 9:49 AM
After an 8 year reprieve from politics making me mad on a near-constant basis, the rage is back and more intense than ever, though the different forms that it takes . But that's a given. Otherwise, the stall on the electrical replacement in our house is really, really starting to get to me. My sister is moving in in a month, and her room is filthy and full of holes. We have a baby coming in September. THAT room should be condemned. It's covered in plastic and full of dust from cutting into walls and all of the layers of paint, building materials, etc. etc. We keep it sealed off, but I'm starting to get pissed because L is still sleeping in her crib when she needs to be moving to a bed, but we can't make the move until the rooms are done. DH is "managing" this with the contractor, and I'm trying not to be a nag, but I feel I am going to be stepping in soon. Shit needs to get done.

No real running this weekend. My sister graduated dental school on Friday, so all of Friday and Saturday were spent running around for my parents, cooking, etc. I did go to a spin class on Sunday. The instructor literally played an hour of Beyonce. I was into it, but I don't think everyone was. She has a tendency to do "themes" - a few weeks ago, she did a 60s/motown thing, which was great for the first 20 minutes, but all the songs sounded exactly the same, and I was ready to lose my mind by the end of the class.

Food is leftover homemade meatballs and broccoli salad. Tonight, we will have sandwiches with some roast beef, gravy, provolone, broccoli rabe, and a container of horseradish I pilfered from the party. I came prepared with tupperware :cool:

Bonus: Never did, but DH and I usually try to rent something onDemand or via Netflix/Amazon on weekend nights, so I will check it out.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:09 AM
We recently had an issue with a leak in a hot water pipe which required my closet wall and floor be torn up.  The leak was fixed, the floor cemented over (but the tile was not replaced) and a hole remained in the wall.  Blazerman said he would "get around" to having a contractor patch things up.  After a squirrel came in through the wall, I "fixed" the hole with plastic and duct tape.  The next time I know he is leaving town, I will get a contractor in to fix it.:roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-22 11:15 AM
The instructor literally played an hour of Beyonce  After 4-1/2 years of teaching, this morning was the.first.time.ever that I used something by BeyoncĂ©...an 8 minute remix of Halo to start class with ~4 minutes of easy pedaling & the rest a couple of stretches & some spinups.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:42 PM
I am giggling over the container of horseradish. :laugh:

I am with you on politics. It starts first thing in the morning. Some days I don't check news till late evening, just for sanity.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:40 PM
Bullshit with contractors drives me over the edge! Good luck- if they're smart, they'll know not to mess with a pregnant woman.: pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:31 PM
Let DH be the good cop for a couple more days, the go bad cop on the contractor, scare the hell out of him, and enjoy that finished up room :evil:

Congratulations to your sister!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:04 AM
About a month ago, I joined a facebook group for the people who in live in West Allen (my side of our city).  The notion it was only for the west part of the city (the wealthier side.....we live in the slummiest neighborhood on this side) should have been a tipoff as to what this would be all about.  Sure, there were the random post about Stranger Danger (real or imagined), people looking for summer nannies, and lost dogs. But basically, most of the posts were about how apartments being built and "what kind of people this would bring".:roll:  Then, there was an uproar about the vote to allow the local community college build a technical school here because once again, "what kind of people would that bring."  This weekend, a women posted about how this fall's homecoming dance in scheduled for Yom Kippur and you would not believe the amount of people who actually ridiculed her because this "is not an important day."   I made a comment that I was astounded by the amount of racism and bigotry I saw on this FB page.  I was then sent a message by "the moderator".....who I know fairly well as he is a local runner and also a total a-hole.....requesting I tone down my remark.  I told him I would not and the fact 14 people had "liked" my comment meant I was probably wasn't alone in my observation.  He then removed my remark, so I deleted myself from this FB page.  Have I ever mentioned I hate people?

I did 11 and 5 this weekend as CdA is next weekend.  Easy 6 this morning and will go to boxing class tonight.  Today is blazergirl's first day at her internship......it is kinda more exciting than any first day of school as this is what all those first days of school were all about!:grin:

Bonus:  Yes, but probably 20 years ago so I have no recollection is I enjoyed it or not.  My mother was a history buff with a great knowledge and fascination of the English Royalty so I think I actually watched it with her.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-22 12:54 PM
A-hole runner. Fortunately, that's a rare combo. But they do exist. Yes, people suck. Especially in wealthy enclaves. And especially in Texas. :runs:  :ducks:  :hides:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 1:49 PM
About half the people who live in my county in Texas, are from other places.  We are about to have a HUGE influx of jobs/people from California, so hopefully, the tide will change a bit.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:11 PM
Hey, I'm standing with Blazer on this one.  My future son-in-law played trombone for graduation at Boston University this weekend.  When he got back to his car, parked in Brookline, the tire was flat.  He had to change it in his dress clothes, and people in the neighborhood came out and watched.  Didn't help.  Just watched (and didn't help) the brown dude work on his car and waited for him to leave :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:.....
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 1:07 PM
i just was watching a frontline about the housing crisis in america. and yeah, they were interviewing someone from the dallas area that was hard to hear. :meh: Thank you for doing what you can. :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 1:46 PM
The Frontline story was about the city just north of mine. :mutmad:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-05-22 1:33 PM
Sometime last year there were protests in a nearby wealthy town regarding the proposed use of a local house for families of sick kids who need to stay in the area during their kid's medical care (think Ronald McDonald House). The protests included discussion of increased traffic and the "types of people" it would bring. :roll:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 1:51 PM
Yes, it always is about "traffic". I am amazed these people post this kind of crap of FB as it identifies them for what they are.  Sure, they don't care and believe they aren't racist.:roll:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:39 PM
Oh yeah the "type pf people"  argument. I've never understood it. Whether it's building trails, apartments or bringing public transport. It's always a bunch of yahoos bleating about the "kind of people" it will bring and how their stupid asses have guns and they aren't afraid to use it. :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:41 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

You are my hero! Your community FB page sounds just like mine.:meh:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-05-22 10:29 AM
Everything in my world feels like madness right now. :meh: Saying things like that used to be an exaggeration, for emphasis, but now it feels like it's actual reality (vs. alternative reality, which might be better). I'm really not sure how we're functioning.

I ran my usual 3ish mile route today. Didn't find anything interesting this time, though.

Bonus: No, but it sounds good.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:51 AM
You all are in my thoughts.:hug::hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 1:05 PM
:hug::sad::hug:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:32 PM
:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:42 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:05 PM
Sorry you didn't find anything on your run today. 

And :hug: :nowords::sad:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-05-22 10:37 AM
Driving me mad, besides the obvious stuff. Right now some work things are just making me nutty, one person in particular who I know can't be trusted and will throw anyone under a bus at any time.
Also some logistical things with our trip next week for my SILs wedding. Nothing that can't be managed, but annoying nevertheless.

E 6 miles running, some abs and kettle bells.
banana for breakfast, I am really hungry but can't eat because on a conference call.
blather not much. Monday. yuck.

bonus yes, not for a while.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 1:05 PM
we had to make a second batch of that raspberry brezza fresca. :mischief::grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-05-23 10:18 AM
it was tasty-with or without gin.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:03 PM
Monday. yuck.    Good summary.  I hope the trip goes well. :hug:   N. is getting to be an experienced traveler :wink:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 1:04 PM
i finished my mad, mad project last friday. it's all better since then. : pbbt: I feel like we may be on the verge of madness with DH's parents moving here. the moving truck arrived today. :shocker!:

lots of running this weekend. 16 saturday and then 8 yesterday. yesterday DH and I went outside of seattle so he could get some biking in and i could get a chance to run somewhere differently. Great idea! it was nice to get out of the city. then finally had a chance to clean up the house while Dh went to help his parents with some things. How can the house get so dirty if we aren't even there? :wtf::roll:

This morning i ran 6. it's supposed to hit 80 degrees today (first time since last september). I am really looking forward to the upcoming 3 day weekend. 5 days of coming into work is wearing now. :roll:

bonus:  yes, although it has been a while.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:31 PM
Nice weekend of running. Are you training for a race?

I am always astonished at how much crap collects. :cry: How long are you on a 5 days work schedule?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:30 PM
4-5 weeks. seems like forever right now. thank goodness for the holiday!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:47 PM
How close to you (minutes driving distance) will DH's parents be?:shocker!:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:33 PM
they are just 10 miles away but we live north of downtown seattle and the are south. so it can be 15 minutes if no traffic but most of the time there is traffic. then it can take 45 minutes or more. their other son lives across the street but works an hour away and keeps odd hours.  but at least he is very close. We'd really like them up here because DH is going to be taking them to appointments and such. his mom drives but never drove on freeways in abq so certainly won't here. and there are less options unless you drive on a freeway here. his dad no longer drives.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 6:01 PM
I know what you mean about needing to run somewhere different.  It's wonderful!!  Glad you had a chance to do it. 

Hope you get acclimated to the 5-day work week again.  It's hard to go back.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:33 PM
hope to do that again this coming weekend.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-22 1:39 PM
There's a lot of madness going on at work right now. I just need to survive the week and take advantage of the long weekend.

Had planned on 5 miles but a loud clap of thunder sent us back to the Y with only 4 miles done. Storms are going to be off and on for the next 24 hours so we'll have to see what we cando tomorrow.

Wasn't great racing, but ran our local half marathon on Saturday. Just went in with a survive the conditions mentality and goal to beat 2 hours. Came in at 1:57 with one of the guys I run with. Both he and my other training partner got AG awards for 40-44 but I as shut out in the 55-59 group. I was happy for the guy I ran with as he rarely wins an award, so he was quite pleased.

Bonus: Never heard of it.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:30 PM
Nice work on the race. So soon after your marathon! :cool:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:59 PM
Nice job helping your friend score hardware.  So you're saying the 55-59 AG is more competitive than the 40-44? :mischief:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:29 PM
those slacker 40-44 year olds. :laugh::cool:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-22 4:29 PM
Well, I'd posted about the animal in the gutters, looks like it did die. So we called the city animal control and he got a part of it, but I think there's still more of it. And now I feel horribly guilty that I did not call someone sooner. :cry: I heard it scuttling and assumed it escaped.

No racing, but a bunch of tri teammates did the inaugural HIM/IM in this area. Sounded like there were a few logistical hiccups which is to be expected for an inaugural race.

Usual, today was a rest day. So many meetings at work. Not happy about that. Maybe it will settle down.

Bonus: No.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:50 PM
he got a part of it,

Honestly, I'm not sure how to process this.:shocker!::cry: and a bit of :laugh:.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:57 PM
Sorry about the critter.  It was worth hoping that it would find its way out :meh:  :meh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:29 PM
ugh. :cry:

pepper did her best to bark the critter out!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-05-22 5:55 PM
I'm mad at myself for being so bummed about the summer weather.  Saturday's LR was only 12 miles, but with the 75-degree dewpoint, it kicked my ass.  The next morning, I wanted to take a short recovery run, but the dew point was 76, and I simply did not have the strength to even try.  (DH also pointed out that I had run 6 days in a row, so a SDO wasn't that bad of an idea)  This morning, I kid you not, the effing dewpoint was 77 :mutmad:  I made myself run, but I basically hated every step.  This is mid-May.  It will be like this through September.  It's too soon for me to be giving up, or maybe I should?  Just don't know what to do.

Bonus:  Did not see the King George movie.  We did see "How to be a Latin Lover" yesterday.  The first 20-30 min weren't really very good at all.  Honestly, I considered leaving.   Then all of the sudden the story came together and got really, really funny.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:35 PM
my two days of those sorts of dewpoints in florida were humbling. :meh:
Parent - - By AgelessDave Date 2017-05-22 7:25 PM Edited 2017-05-22 7:30 PM
I feel kind of lucky because nothing is really driving me mad these days.....I guess I am just getting old and complacent about things....I don't have the energy to get worked up about stuff anymore......my wife and I are planning a trip up to Vancouver island at the end of June, we will be taking our younger daughter but don't think the older one will be able to go.....

This past weekend We went to a graduation party for the guy my daughter lives with....he is a good guy and seems to be a good influence on my daughter, I am happy for him and happy to see them together.....

We also went to an Eric church concert over the weekend that was pretty good...

Will be taking a couple days off this week to work at a golf tournament (course marshal)....then my younger daughter has a Birthday on Friday.....

And running has been going pretty well....nothing fast or to long but good nonetheless......

Bonus: nope
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-22 8:36 PM
sounds like things are ticking along. vancouver will be really nice then.  :happy:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-23 7:47 AM
Eric Church's voice drives me crazy. Of course, he is my son's second favorite and tends to sing like him at times. :roll:

Glad things seem to be good for your oldest daughter!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Mad, Mad, Monday Daily!