Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / TexMex TUESDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 8:01 AM
Inspired by my pre-run fueling last night, I bring you the Tex-Mex Tuesdaily. Tell us about your favorite TexMex restaurants, dishes, or lack thereof,  plus run/workout/blather.

Bonus: Here I am in, Tij-i-uana, eating Bar-be-cued iguana! What is something weird you have eaten?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 8:18 AM
We have a limited selection here of TexMex places, so it's On the Border for us. When we first moved to PA we went through TexMex withdrawal as there wasn't a single place in our immediate area. On the Border is ok, not fantastic but better than nothing. They do have very good salsa, hot but not too hot and blended well not chunky. My go to things there are chicken enchilada w/green chile sauce, or plain old cheese and onion enchiladas. Once in a while I am in the mood for chicken fajitas, which I eat fairly plain with grilled meat, veggies, and salsa wrapped in homemade tortillas.

Workout: We did a TexMex dinner early last night, and I followed that up with a late evening 9 miles on the trails of Coventry Woods with the Lady. Pretty good run but I slowed down when dusk fell in the woods. Wonderful grey calm cool humid foggy conditions. I love that type of weather for trail running. Today, 8 or 9 miles somewhere. Maybe French Creek.

Bonus: BBQ alligator or lamb fries tops my weirdest food items.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-23 9:34 AM
I've had fried alligator......tasted like chicken.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 12:42 PM
:laugh:

Ha, yeah that's what everyone says!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-23 9:47 AM
On the Border is one of our go-tos after long runs. I love the salsa! I like their street style mini tacos.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 12:44 PM
I've had the street style or Baja style tacos a few times. I like them better at Baja Fresh, but I have not been there in ages.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-23 4:03 PM
when it's foggy, i love it when your eyelashes get condensation. :happy:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-23 8:41 AM
I love Tex Mex! There is a good Tex Mex place near me, Jose Tejas, that used to have a great pasta dish with mushrooms and spicy cream sauce. The last time I went there, they had turned it into a seafood pasta dish and I don't eat seafood. :cry: Everyone knows I love me some tacos, that is my usual go-to. I also like descontructed fajitas where I eat all of the meat and veggies without bothering to put them on a tortilla.

Run: nope
Workout: stretching and foam rolling
Blather: Back at work after taking 2 days off. How is it possible that I have so much to catch up on? :roll: But first to write a race report...

Bonus: I ate a cricket at our office holiday party last year. I've also had alligator.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 9:25 AM
I have only accidentally eaten insects while trail running in the summer. Blech.

Two days is plenty of time for my email to hit ridiculous threshold levels. Good luck with catching up, and look forward to the race report.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-23 9:35 AM
It always sucks getting back to the office after a couple of days off.:sad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-23 4:01 PM
pasta dish with mushrooms and spicy cream sauces does not at all sound like tex mex to me. :wtf:

how dare all those emails interfere with a race report!  :mutmad::laugh::grin:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-23 9:48 AM Edited 2017-05-23 9:51 AM
Well, down here there is a differentiation between Tex-Mex, Mexican, and Southwestern......but this Yankee puts them all in the bucket.  There are so many options, that I have my favorite places for shrimp tacos, fish tacos, beef tacos, chicken tacos, "specialty" tacos, different types of enchiladas, queso, etc..  The best places are inevitably the cheapest, family run places.  We went to a new place in town on Sunday and while thought my fish tacos were rather :meh:, blazergirl enjoyed her chicken enchiladas with verde sauce.  It was too spicy for me, but since she spends nine months of the year much closer to the border than I do, she can handle much more than I can.  I eat Mexican food at least 2-3 times a week. 

Easy 4 mile run which felt like death.....such is the week before a marathon!  While blazerman is excited the weather in CdA looks great for spectating, we all know that isn't fun for the race.  While I realize Sunday's forecast can change a lot, it appears my second loop on the non-shady course will be sunny and in the 70's, approaching 80.  Of course I have been able to train in crap like that over the past month, but that doesn't mean it will suck less. 

Blather: When I asked her how her first full day at her engineering internship went yesterday, blazergirl's most notable comment was, "There are a lot of Mikes in the office.":laugh:  I told here there are ALWAYS a lot of Mikes in the office.  (FYI.....they took her for Mexican food at lunch.:laugh:)

Bonus: I feel like I ate chocolate covered insects several years ago. I've had alligator numerous times, so I guess that isn't weird. We have friends who host a wild game dinner every year and I know I had something unique there this year.....but I was drunk and cant remember what it was.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-23 10:22 AM
Ugh on the CdA weather! :cry:

:laugh: Your blather. There are always so many Mikes!

Did that young girl from last week come back to another boxing class?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 12:45 PM
Chocolate covered ants taste just like raisinettes.

Sorry about the warm forecast. Hope the race goes well anyway.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-23 4:00 PM
all of a sudden it's gotten very hot here in the PNW. :meh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-23 11:50 AM
"Mrs. Ed" doesn't like spicy food and attributes all Mexican food as being spicy :roll:  As a result of this the closest I get to eating Mexican food is typically tacos made from a pre-packaged mix, with sauce labeled "mild".  DS loves Mexican food and has a favorite family owned restaurant a couple of miles from here.  We have also taken him to a Mexican restaurant in Philly for his BD a couple of times and remarkably, "Mrs. Ed" has found some to eat just fine! :roll::roll::roll:

My workout was swimming 1200 meters this morning.  For some reason "everything"<---defined as my bad hip & bad shoulder...hurt yesterday :cry:   I still have the prescription strength Naproxen I got for my shoulder last summer (1st refill from last July) and the instructions include "Twice a day or as needed" so I took 1 with lunch yesterday and another with breakfast this morning.  I really try not to make a habit of relying on these NSAIDS but "everything" feels a good deal better right now. 

Other blather:  on the way home from the gym/pool I stopped at the local running store (they really don't see me much anymore :cry: ) and purchased some Body Glide & a swim cap.  I plan an open water swim on Saturday and will need the Body Glide for below the knee to assist in wet suit removal after swimming.  The guy in charge of the lake for the OWS I believe now requires everyone to wear a swim cap to make us more visible to the lifeguards out on the water.  I have a leftover cheapie cap from a prior triathlon but decided to get a better quality one (I pool swim without one).  The running store owner started an informal Facebook "Run856" group a while back and a "Tri856" FB group spun off of that.  "856" is the local area code.  "Run856" has over 2,400 members of the page on Facebook!  "Tri856" has 450.  There was a demand for "856" clothing & the store owner now sells a myriad of Run856 stuff that people seem to gobble up.  The Tri856 swim cap seems to be the only triathlon related attire...so far.

Bonus:  I was at a work trip reception with the Taiwan Navy in Taipei and while sampling something with a pastry type coating one of the Taiwan Navy guys approached me and said "Oh, I see you like our jellyfish" :shocker!:  I managed to discretely NOT finish the rest of it : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 12:47 PM
Now all the store needs is an IPA856!  : pbbt:

Good luck with the ocean swim (and cannonball) this weekend.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-23 1:02 PM
Lake swim this weekend.  Bay swim on Sunday the 4th...bay side of Cape May just above the ferry terminal...they don't recommend cannonballs :shocker!:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-23 12:33 PM
:laugh::laugh: i've never eaten at a place that is considered tex-mex. I gave up on Seattle's mexican food long ago except there is a good hole in the wall place near my work which does tasty burritos but it's more coastal mexican/so cal take on it. and of course i've spent the past 30 years enjoying new mexican food which is quite different. ok, so what does make a place tex-mex? :wtf:

ran 10 this morning with some at 10 seconds under MP. I ran this with the friend and we were actually more like 15-20 seconds under MP. :grin: it was quite warm here this morning. Almost 60! Tuesday's are always my 6th day of running so I'm pleased this went well and i had no problems hitting pace. I'm looking forward to the rest day tomorrow. We are having grilled flank steak for dinner tonight. :grin:

bonus: nothing much. but i love that song.  :happy:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-23 12:49 PM
Good running. Do you have a marathon planned or just keeping up with speed?

I actually looked up the TexMex thing this morning. The gist of it seemed to be more beef products, yellow cheese (like cheddar), wheat instead of corn (flour tortillas) and cumin as a spice ingredient. I always kid my wife we are going to the authentic Mexican place on the way to On the Border as she only likes TexMex. You should see her face when she gets white cheese in her enchiladas.  :laugh: :roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-05-23 3:58 PM
:laugh: i have been ordering new mexican food with no cheese lately. I find they just put too much on and the flavor is better and less greasy with no cheese.  most of the servers are :shocker!:  at no cheese.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-05-23 10:54 PM Edited 2017-05-23 11:10 PM
We don't really have any TexMex places here.  We have a whole bunch of Mexican places.  Most seem to me to be more American Mexican than anything authentic - but heck, I've never been to Mexico, so what do I know?  I don't really care much for the Mexican food we have here.  I am a big fan of New Mexican - that is the stuff you get in the state of New Mexico, now some kind of nuevo cuisine.  Love the chillies!  It's not heat from the chillies, it's just the flavors.  I swear if I lived in New Mexico I'd soon be appearing on My 600lb Life.  I've also had a few opportunities to eat at what were supposed to be authentic fine dining Mexican food.  That's also great - but nothing like you get in a Mexican restaurant around here.

Got out for an 8 mile run today.  Lunch time run, so it was a bit warm.

Bonus:  I guess I've eaten a fair amount of weird things.  I'm a big Japanese/sushi fan and like the Kama (cheeks),  uni (sea urchin gonads), ankimo  (monk fish liver), ama ebi (raw sweet shrimp with temporaed heads), toro (fattiest part of the fish), lots of other things you can get at a better Japanese restaurant.  One of the best things I've had was aji (mackerel) which was swimming around in a tank.  You pick out your fish and the chef grabs it and piths it and sashimi's it.  It was served with the fish skeleton sitting on the plate like it was swimming - with the intact head and tail - and the sashimi placed next to where it was removed.  The fish's mouth is still opening and closing and you stare him down as you eat him.  If the poor things start to conk out, you just pour a little saki in his month and he picks right back up.  Delicious!   When over in Japan I did have horse meat sashimi one night and chicken sashimi another night  (hmm - raw chicken!). 

As far as other animals - pretty much the regular crowd - deer, elk, bison/buffalo, moose, boar, sheep, goat, alligator, rattlesnake, rabbit, turtle. duck, goose, wild turkey, pheasant, quail, - you know - the usual stuff.  I do love going to Scotland and having haggis, or faggots in England which are similar, but not quite as tasty.

There are plenty of things that people eat that I don't have to experience.  For any of you fans of Asian food - I don't anticipate ever consuming pinkies (San Zhi Er), for instance. (I was in Taiwan and a local work colleague was egging me on to try these - no f'ing way!)  Also - no to seal eyeballs, or any eyeballs, or actually balls of any type for that matter.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / TexMex TUESDAILY