Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Silly things you just found out recently
- - By Tommeke Date 2017-05-29 11:20 AM
I just found out Walt from Breaking Bad was the dad in Malcolm in the Middle :shocker!:
Never really watched MITM since I was too old at that time to watch teenager shows but the episodes I saw were rather funny.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-05-29 8:07 PM
I don't watch Breaking Bad but did watch Malcolm in the Middle religiously despite being far from a teenager.:blush: It was a great show! The cast was fabulous and Bryan Cranston as Hal the dad was the best!

I recently learned that Alan Thicke, another great tv dad, died a few months ago.:sad: That's not silly except for the fact that I missed it.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-05-30 2:23 AM
Definitely watched plenty of Growing Pains in my youth :grin:
I have a friend who watched MITM and loved it.
I'd say the two 'non-humor' series that we watched were 90210 and The Wonder Years.

But of course watched all the sitcoms from the 80s and 90s. Degrassi, Fresh Prince, Growing Pains, Step By Step, Punky Brewster, Cosby show, who's the boss, Family Matters, Moesha, Hanging With Mr Cooper, Webster, Diffrent Strokes and plenty I forgot :happy:
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-02 10:03 PM
I loved that show. Malcolm was the absolute best family sitcom ever!  Hal was my dad and most of my friends' dads. :hug: It wasn't a teenager thing. It was lower middle class in the Valley.

Bryon Cranston was also one of the actors in a lead roll on the original X Files. A few of the people who worked with Vince Gilligan then, worked on Breaking Bad.  :grin: Tuco was in an episode about about Chupacabras and the guy who played Hank played a cop in one. :D
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-03 7:31 AM
Somehow was never a big X-files fan, mainly because I don't really buy the whole 'scientific paranormal' stuff. If it's SciFi, it must be full blown SciFi with spaceships and all :wink:
I like how some actors just really break through ones they are older. Unfortunately female actors are usually not hold to the same standard in that aspect :sad:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-03 8:08 PM
Off topic, but do you acknowledge that the paranormal exists? I'm pretty science-based too, but enjoy stuff like the x-files even if much or most of it is theater.

Your other point about older actors is interesting but that is really a whole 'nother topic. But I do agree that older male actors break through more easily than older female actors. The older female stars *mostly* got their traction as starlets. But again, that's another topic.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-04 9:22 AM Edited 2017-06-04 9:27 AM
No I don't acknowledge it. I think there is plenty we don't know that has an impact on us, but none of it in the form of supernatural things.
The problem with X-Files is that you always have some hardcore fans that are a bit like Climate Change deniers. They soak it up like hard science and for them a pseudo-scientific show is as valid as peer-reviewed hard science.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-04 3:35 PM
Gotcha about the X-files. I'm sane enough to recognize it for what it is.

A similar example to the climate change deniers would be evolution deniers. Again, an irrational leap of faith in the face of reality, also by thousands or millions of people.
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-04 10:13 AM
I lost interest over the years. I've almost completely lost my ability to suspend disbelief. :meh:  I can't even read my favorite, Larry Niven, anymore because he still uses things like hyperspace and artificial gravity. :sad:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-05 3:42 PM
:cry: Suspending disbelief is so important! And sorry to hear that Larry Niven has lost you. :sad: I just got two recent ones, Seascape Tattoo and Shipstar to read on vacation later this month and am excited about them because he hasn't lost me yet.:happy:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-03 8:00 PM
I'm totally with you on Malcom!:cool:

And had forgotten about Cranston on the x files, another show I loved.
Parent - - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2017-06-05 12:28 PM
mmrocker13 has a water feature in her back yard and I'm insanely jealous! :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-05 3:07 PM
Ooh, I want a water feature too! :shocker!::cry:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-05 5:39 PM
Shhhhh, mrs. flamus has been after me for 15 years to get or build a water feature in our backyard and she doesn't need any encouragement.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-06-05 7:29 PM
For crying out loud, give her the water feature. We have a deck garden pond and a woods garden pond. You need the dang water feature! (I'd post a picture but don't remember how to do it.)
Parent - - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2017-06-05 7:59 PM
"We have a pool, and a pond."
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-07 7:38 PM
:laugh: pssst wholly...I've seen pics and heard stories of ft's water features in her last house and current one and while jealous, I don't need her encouraging me or mrs. flamus to install plumbing in our backyard. So shhhhh, please.
Parent - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2017-06-07 7:47 PM
:laugh:
- By sideshowbob Date 2017-05-30 6:14 AM
Homer Simpson inducted into The Hall of Fame . Woo hoo!
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-02 10:15 PM
http://www.stratolaunch.com/

You may have seen this on the news in the last 2 days.  I have no idea how I missed news of this thing. It has been in the makes for 6 years now.  The fact that it is built with scavenge B-747's makes it that much sweeter. :hug:

I went to see the the first of the two X Prize launches. This is orders of magnitude beyond that. :cool:  I cannot wait to see this flying and I will kill to be out at Mojave when it does.

Launching from planes is becoming a really amazing tool. The Orbital ATK L1011, Stargazer, just made a historic launch of 9 tiny satellites at one time, carrying them to 44,000 feet to be launched. They will be monitoring hurricane activity. :hug:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-03 5:47 AM
I first learned of that thing a few days ago. It's pretty awesome.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-03 12:58 PM
I love all those private companies taking up those crazy challenges. Just the fact that the international space station gets new payloads from SpaceX is crazy.
- - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-05 4:47 PM
I discovered the existence of such deliciousness as the kimcheese sandwich just a few days ago. Where have you been all my life, sweet sweet kimcheese?:cool:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-05 5:48 PM
Hmmm, I had to google and found both the grilled sandwich and an Asian fusion fast food restaurant, neither of which I've experienced. Both have my mouth watering. You talking about the grilled sandwich?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-06 3:10 AM
Yep. Grilled cheese sandwich with kimchi. I was skeptical of the combo but am a full convert and ready to spread the word.
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:12 PM
Oh, my husband would love that.
- By N70SAK Date 2017-06-06 7:16 AM
:laugh: I have been ignoring my garden for months and just noticed that I have a blossoming carrot plant that is 5 feet tall. The green onions made it over 3 feet. :laugh:
- - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-07 2:05 PM
Two awesome new things to share:

1. NZ has a national badminton team.
2. They're called "The Black Cocks".
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-07 5:09 PM Edited 2017-06-07 5:11 PM
OMG :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember from my introductory badminton class (yes I tried out for it, but somehow didn't go back, so I know have two fancy badminton rackets I don't use :roll:) that the feather-thingy is called the shuttle-cock.

I found it funny they always said "the shuttle" instead of "the cock".
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-07 7:40 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Great!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Silly things you just found out recently