Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's Tuesday, not Monday! Daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 10:03 AM
If you are not retired : pbbt:, then today probably feels like Monday to you. On a scale of 1-10, how Monday does it feel? 1 being least Monday-ish, 10 being most Monday-ish. Plus, how was your weekend? Did you do anything fun?

Run/workout
Food/drink
blather

Bonus: 3-day weekends are awesome. Do you prefer the Monday off or the Friday off? Why? Also, if you are not retired, do you get summer Fridays?
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-30 10:34 AM
Yes, it was a fun weekend. And I saw Beastie Girl and her guy! He turned in a PR and finished just ahead of me. I was happy with my result of 45:28. Mile splits were 7:16, 7:11, 7:18, 7:24, 7:30, and 7:15.

Total mileage yesterday was 11, as I got talked into pacing my younger daughter in the 5K (after running the 10K). We got soaked in the rain and made a beeline for the car right after finishing. She ran about 28:30, but her negative split was impressive - 9:45 and 10:00 for the first 2 miles, and then she cranked it up for the final mile. Today was an easy 6-miler.

I like long weekends with Monday off, because then it's a 4-day week afterward.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 10:59 AM
:laugh: I love that you did the 5k too! Congrats to your daughter on her negative split! :cool: JP and I left just in time, as soon as we got to the car, the skies opened up.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-30 11:28 AM
Congrats to you and your daughter. Funny, those 10k paces of your were once my marathon splits but now they look so fast!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-30 12:51 PM
Nice job on the 10K...and 5K! 

I did the Ridgewood Run a couple of times...maybe '85 and '86...because I have a work friend who lived on the course (I'm thinking somewhere on Linwood or N. Pleasant, perhaps even that corner (but it doesn't seem to be on the course map) but could be wrong) and even though we had both relocated to the Philly area, back then we typically spent some holidays back home in North Jersey so I'd drive from Bayonne to Ridgewood for the race.  We would run the 10K and then hang on his corner & watch the 5K and the 1 mile runs.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-30 6:08 PM
Awesome 5K! It's so much fun to run with your kids.:hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 10:57 AM
It is a very Monday-ish Tuesday, so I will say a 10. Lots of fires at work and I also have a case of the Mondays since it was such a nice relaxing weekend. :happy: We got a lot done around the house but also spent a lot of time relaxing. We watched all 7 episodes of The Keepers on Netflix. It was billed as a Making a Murderer type series about a nun's murder, and while there was a lot of mystery surrounding the murder, <minor spoiler alert> there was a major left turn into child sex abuse by priests that was extremely graphic in the retelling, and I was not prepared for that </end minor spoiler alert>. Yesterday fiance ran the local 10k, and I saw a bunch of friends including Tim! :happy: I was not at all tempted to run the race and instead snapped pics of all the people racing. Fiance managed a PR just a week after the marathon! :cool: Then last night we rounded out the weekend with oreo ice cream cake for fiance's son who turns 12 today.

Run/workout: a creaky 3 miles this morning, my first run since the marathon. It felt good to run again! Did some minor core work and stretching after the run. Hitting the pool tonight for at least 400 yards since I have a sprint tri on Saturday so maybe I should swim once or twice before the race. : pbbt: My last swim workout was in March since I was so focused on the marathon. Tomorrow morning I'll take the bike out for a few miles on the road. I took it for a short spin Saturday and it likes being out of the basement off the trainer!

Food/drink: I have chicken in the crockpot for burritos/burrito bowls for dinner. Yum!

Blather: For my Chicago training cycle, I am going to focus on strength training, core, foam rolling, and nutrition. Strength training will just help me overall, I have running muscles but not muscle-muscles. Core - same, I have no abs. : pbbt: Foam rolling - I thought my right piriformis was tight and my right hip flexor was weak since it kept bothering me, but it turns out that I have some major tightness in my right hamstring which I think is pulling everything out of whack. So foam rolling will hopefully help with all of the muscle tightness. And nutrition - I want to be sure that I am fueling my training properly, so I dusted off my Racing Weight book and cookbook for guidelines to follow to be sure that I am getting enough carbs and so that I don't lose any more weight this training cycle.

Bonus: I think I prefer the Monday off. Then you go into the week knowing it's short, and you are always a day ahead. My company does offer summer Fridays, we get 4 of them and can take them in days or half days. Definitely a nice perk!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-30 11:32 AM
Are you still giving up beer for Chicago training? Hope the rest of it all works out for you. Not sure if I would focus too much on building muscle, maybe just definition, but strong core always helps with everything. Hope you have a bit of a break before starting up again. I used to love the time between marathon cycles to focus on running for fun. It's how I became such a fan of trail running.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 12:09 PM
Oh, I meant gaining strength, not necessarily building muscle, I definitely worded it wrong!

I am taking a break now before Chicago training ramps up. Just enjoying running for fun like you said. And yes on giving up beer for Chicago. :shocker!:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-30 12:54 PM
Good job holding back from racing yesterday!

Good luck in your Tri!  I've only been outdoors on my bike 3 times so far this year :cry:  but the bike distance for mine is just 12 miles so even less time than I'd spend riding in a class so I think I'll be ok.  Hoping for dry weather for both of us!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 1:05 PM
My weather looks awful! :laugh: Rain all day! But warmer at least than my first tri last year when it was raining and in the 40s!

Your spin fitness will definitely carry you through! I am relying on my running fitness to carry me through my 10 miles, I've probably only been on a bike 5 times this year! :shocker!:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-30 11:26 AM
Today is like 11 on the Monday scale. Weekend was pretty low key. Weather was weird. It seemed to be grey almost the entire time with the exception of some sun and mixed clouds on Saturday and Sunday morning. Plus on/off rain. Highlights was a post long run burger and beer at Iron Hill Brewery on Saturday. We sat outdoors and watched the world of Phoenixville go by and I took home a 4-pack of a Belgian Ale named Cannibal. I had a few of those on Sunday afternoon and decided upon a nap later after a soak in our hot tub. Yesterday was weird with no run and no major yardwork on tap, so we sort of went at the back40 pulling weeds and vines and exposing some perennial buried back there. Ended up Netflixing a few episodes of Bloodline later for something to do.

Workout: Nothing yet today. The grayness continues with some spitting light rain. The plan is to get 6 or 7 miles in this evening with the Lady.

Food/drink: I am making a pot of red beans later so red beans, rice, and cornbread. Not sure I will drink my remaining 2 cans of Cannibal tonight or opt for something else.

Blather: Ok, so finished up my peak week of training last week with 83 miles and a 30 mile long run. I'm still out of sorts about my training but it is what it is. Just can't get over this less than ideal whonky left knee and feeling of bein slow. I guess if I am running that much mileage and not making it worse, it should get much better during the next few weeks of reduced running but it's making me antsy.

Bonus: I'd say Monday. I love the Sunday night feeling of no work on Monday. Plus typically on Friday work is less hectic anyway. No summer Friday's here.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 12:10 PM
An 11 on the Monday scale :cry:

Sorry that the knee has you out of sorts. Hopefully it improves during taper!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-30 6:14 PM
Red beans, rice and cornbread is my favorite meal ever!:cool:

You've been training hard for this one. You'll be fine!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-30 8:29 PM
I was about 2/3 the way through the first season of Bloodline when I got Sophie tracked from it several months ago. I feel like I need to rewatch before continuing.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 7:22 AM
The show is sort of a train wreck but with characters I should not be pulling for but I still do.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-30 12:36 PM
If you are not retired    :roll:   Where the hell has our other retiree been????  rogere...rogere...rogere  BG is picking on me!

It feels like Tuesday to me : pbbt:   I am regularly scheduled to "work" on Mondays but had yesterday off as my class at 6am was cancelled due to the 7am - 3pm holiday hours at the gym.  I actually can't wait to torture...oops!  I mean...ride with  :wink:  my 6am peeps tomorrow! 

Quiet weekend for me.  I posted about my Sat & Sun morning swims & wetsuit issue previously.  Today looks like an SDO except for the shoulder PT exercises I did...and laundry...does that count? :roll: 

Kielbasa for dinner tonight.

Bonus: Before I retired : pbbt:  virtually all of my 3-day weekends were with Monday off.  It was nice looking forward to a short week plus being more relaxed on Sunday.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 1:08 PM
I'm not picking on you! : pbbt:

How did the shoulder handle putting on the wetsuit? That can take some major contortions!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-30 2:02 PM
:laugh:   My comment was mostly to try to get rogere's attention.  He's been on FB but MIA here for a bit :sad:

My shoulder did ok while putting it on.  My old one is sleeveless so no real contortion getting my arms in but because it's so tight around my torso it was a major issue reaching behind to "pinch" it together so I could get the zipper up!  I tried two different ones on at the store.  Both had sleeves but the first was labeled "LM".  I thought "Large Men's" but the saleswoman told me it stood for "Large-Medium" :wtf:  The other (the one I ended up buying) was just labeled "L".  It was easier to get into at the store than the first one and even easier at the lake on Sunday.  I'm not slipping in & out of it like an elite pro triathlete who has T1 times under 30 seconds but it was SO.MUCH.EASIER getting it zipped up then I'd ever experienced before! 

Peeling it off over my ankles was the hardest and of course with my hip issue I'll have to sit on the ground in the transition area to do that :SIGH:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-30 2:28 PM
I always sit on the ground in transition to get my wetsuit off if that makes you feel better! :uncoordinated: :laugh: Glad to hear no issues with the shoulder getting the wetsuit on.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-30 5:07 PM
I was "taught" to remain standing, peel it down to the ankles and then step on the portion of the leg that's come over your foot (inside out) & get your foot/feet out that way.  Of course, the last time I did that I ripped the bottom 6" of the seam so maybe not such a good idea :roll:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-05-30 2:32 PM
It does feel very Monday-ish. So much so that I almost forgot that it's trash day, which is Tuesday.

I ran my usual three mile route this morning. Which is actually 3.1 miles. I considered running with the group since the weather is unseasonably cool and I'd be better able to keep up but I decided against that in favor of more sleep. Because of the whole Monday-ish thing.

My blather is very shitty so I won't bother but suffice it to say that things are shitty in almost as many ways as things can be shitty.

Bonus: Yes, in the summer I have off on Fridays. Most of the office is off on Fridays, a few work fridays and are off Mondays. I don't have a preference as both have advantages.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-30 3:25 PM
It hasn't been bad at all today so a 2 on the Monday-ish scale. I had time to work on a number of things without too many interruptions which is rare most days of the week.

The weekend was pretty good. My son and his fiancé came down for the weekend so we got to talk lots of wedding stuff. They helped with some yard work Saturday morning so I rewarded everyone with a trip to one of our local breweries that afternoon. They have a puppy and is energetic, but well behaved so she got to come along to the brewery too. I probably would have gotten a few more things down around the house,but those chores aren't going anywhere. I did help our daughter get curtains hung up in her new apartment.

Just 5 miles at noon today. I ran the trails yesterday with my training partner who generally does not like to run there, but with the day off from work it was a good change.

Blather: We have so much leftover food from the weekend!

Bonus: Most times I get the Monday, we do not get summer Friday's but they are usually pretty quiet and I can scoot out early.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-05-30 5:59 PM
Definitely feels like a 9. I've been writing "Monday May 30" on all the notes I leave to my dog owners.:blush: Thelong weekend was nice- I had no dogs yesterday!:happy: I didn't really go anywhere or do anything, but it was relaxing. I did have a nice dinner out at Philip's and my favorite local joint after finally seeing Galaxy Quest 2, that was really fun. And the movie was awesome, btw. I had a good 10 mile run on Sunday.

5.5 this morning at the crack of dawn. Felt good, but was really slow. Green smoothie for breakfast, had an Exit 4 Trippel with dinner and now I'm zoned out. Blather: Finished the first 7 episodes of the Handmaid's Tale last night, if I want to watch more I have to bite the bullet and subscribe to Hulu. I think I must. The series is so dark- there is no happy ending, there is no redemption, I know this from the book, but it is so addictive and riveting, and relatable in today's political climate, I just can't stop watching it. Elisabeth Moss is fantastic in the role of Ofred, btw.

Bonus: I prefer the Monday off. I get to look forward to a shorter work week.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-30 8:01 PM
I don't know I have the stomach for watching it. :cry:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-05-30 7:32 PM
Not retired. :cry:  It felt very Mondayish. Kind of blah and then the whole morning was meetings. So.many.meetings at this job. Which is all fine if you that's your primary job but when you also have to do actual work that is estimated base don a full day it becomes hard.

Yes my weekend was fun. Ventura, CA and of course i am always sad to come back.  So pretty out there. A former colleague just joined Amazon and moved to Seattle so that also got me thinking about where I lived. Every summer it seems like I go through this. : pbbt: Not surprising that recruiter contacts peak in the summer. :laugh:

Bonus: Someone I follow on Twitter made the point that a Monday off, makes it seems like a week with two Mondays. Seems a valid point. :laugh: I like both since it results in a long weekend. Am bummed that July 4th is the middle of the week this time. Boo.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-05-30 8:39 PM
It was definitely Monday-ish. And since tomorrow is the end of the month, it was a combination of Monday and month-end BS at work.:roll:

Weekend was great. The travel time to CdA was long (8-9 hour between flights, layover and drive time) but that allows me to catch up on some Netflix on the plane and in the airport. Race went "as expected" as it was HOTT, but I feared it was going to be much worse as it is not an easy course. (RR to follow soon). Overall, great weekend with blazerman.

SDO running but went to boxing class.

Bonus: i enjoy the random Monday bank holidays as I tend to get routine crap done on those days like dr appointments, etc.. I think I prefer Fridays off, but will air what I can get.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-05-30 9:21 PM
It kind of felt Monday-ish but maybe like a 6.5?

Weekend was OK. Somewhat relaxing. I went to rogereland and it rained a bit. Didn't run too much since the hills really killed me.:meh:

Run: 3mi TM and then 20 min on stationary bike
Food: Big Salad and tuna
Blather: Lost a patient over the weekend who had a very vibrant personality. She made me smile every time I saw her.

Bonus: I prefer the Monday off because then Sunday feels like Saturday!:laugh: I have off Fridays Aug through Nov.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 7:11 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your patient. :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 7:23 AM
Sorry about your patient. :sad:

You will not like today's daily! :roll:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / It's Tuesday, not Monday! Daily