Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Humpdaily WEDNESDAY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 7:20 AM
Hey, it's hump day already! :grin:

Do you run hills on a regular basis and if so tell us about some of your favorites. Or any hill related stuff for that matter. What about hilly races... what's the hilliest race you've done? Plus the usual run/workout and other stuff.

Bonus: ... And I'll climb, the hill in my own way...
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 8:27 AM
Hump day woo hoo! :grin::grin:

I do not run hills on a regular basis since it's relatively flat where I live. I have a long run route that includes some hills, varying between one long gradual incline and a series of steeper but shorter climbs. When I do hill repeats it's on one of the hills on that course, it's about 1/4 mile long and pretty steep. I love/hate hill repeats! I am kind of hoping my coach puts some in for my Chicago training even thought Chicago is flat. The hilliest marathon I've done is Sugarloaf, and of course there's RTB every year that is super hilly, especially my hard middle leg.

Run/workout: I was slated for an outdoor bike ride this morning, but it was raining so I went back to bed. Last night I swam 700 yards in the pool which felt pretty good, I can tell my aerobic capacity has increased since the last time I swam! I was trying to focus on my breathing since I tend to hyperventilate throughout the swim portion of the tri, and I was trying to control my breathing so that it won't happen on Sunday. Work softball this evening, double header to make up for a previous rain out.

Other stuff: I am debating joining a running club. One of my friends joined this new club, and they are looking for members so that they can field teams during races. She wants me to join because I'm a master and they don't have a lot of masters. Apparently they don't care that I'm not super fast. It's only $20/year and the sponsor pays for up to 7 runners' entries per race (I think it's 7 female, 7 male entries). That seems like a pretty sweet deal, but I don't know that I race enough to make it worthwhile? The other bonus is that the sponsor is the Montclair Bread Company and the team singlets say "Fueled by Donuts" on the back of them. :laugh:

Bonus: ugh now The Climb by Miley Cyrus is in my head :cry:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 8:59 AM
Clearly you know that I did not pull that lyric snip from a Miley Cyrus song!  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 1:37 PM
:laugh::laugh: of course!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-31 9:10 AM
I have used "The Climb" a total of 3 times in cycling class...for hills and not since 2014.  I have not used any other song by Hanna Montana or her alter ego.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 8:58 AM Edited 2017-05-31 9:01 AM
I run hills regularly (obviously) since I run trails and not rail trails plus it's hilly around here. I guess the biggest climbs I get in my immediate area top off about five or six hundred feet in one climb, typically over a mile or less, though sometime longer. Usually very steep in sections. I've noticed when going up big hills often there are tricky steep sections and then things ease up before you get slammed again. I often break up hill climbs that way. Into little sections. I guess some of my favorite hills currently are over at Coventry Woods. There is one hill, on rock run trail, that is maybe just 200-250 feet and not super steep or rocky. You can run it fast downhill, and even surge uphill on it if you want to do some work. It tops off on a ridgeline where you get flat running for a mile, and bottoms out by a little spring/creek fed pond. The Lady takes a water break there.

Some of my 100 mile races have had tremendous amounts of climbing (12,000-20,000 feet) but I think on a per mile basis the Hyner Challenge 25k had the most bang for the buck. Over 4,200 feet of climbing over 16 miles which averages out to over 250 feet per mile, though of course the uphills came in sections and there was downhill too. They name several of the hills on that course... Humble Hill and SOB. SOB was the end of a big long climb and was so steep I crab crawled up it. It was actually pretty fun.

Run/workout: 7 miles last night on the least hilly of all my trail routes at Green Lane. Still gray damp and misty, and the trails were wet, mucky, and squishy. There is a very fun section of trail on this route with several little hills (30-50 feet max) and it's a fun section to surge through as it's right next to the lake and you can really accelerate up/down those hills. Not so much last night though because of the muck. Probably 6 or 7 tonight as well on a trail TBD.

Bonus: I often look forward to big hills during an ultra so that I can take a walk break.  :blush:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 1:38 PM
tremendous amounts of climbing (12,000-20,000 feet)
:shocker!: You win!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-31 9:05 AM Edited 2017-05-31 9:14 AM
Humpday...and for my 2-day "workweek" it's like my Monday & tomorrow's my Friday!

Even living in the flatlands of South Jersey I managed to incorporate hills into most of my runs.  It helped that I'd run ~4 times per week at work and would run from there in N.E. Philly and the nearby Elkins Park-Cheltenham Twp. area which had its share of hills.  A favorite was on Ashmead Rd. where my work running group would do hill repeats in the early portion of our marathon training.  It's a residential street bordered by the J.C. Melrose golf course on one side, that had no intersections over at least a 1/3 mile rise.  Our typical routine was to run up the hill for 90 seconds, jog back down and repeat.  In a 6-week phase we would do 5-6-7-7-8-9 repeats.  Everyone would start each repeat together altho some would finish further up the hill than others.

ETA the hilliest race I've ever done has been the Steamtown Marathon, altho that has a net vertical drop of about 950'.  Hilliest races I've done with approx. zero vertical drop or gain would be 5 milers in Radnor Twp. and Valley Forge Park.  I've also run (twice) a "trail" race in Reading that's pretty effing hilly!  Pretzel City's Ugly Mudder...I think XT knows this one.

My workout this morning was teaching cycling class followed by some core & shoulder PT exercises.  We did 3-ten and 1-five minute sessions of alternating riding in a peloton, pulling and attacking in class :evil:

Getting a haircut shortly before lunch.

Bonus: Pink Floyd!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 1:39 PM
Our typical routine was to run up the hill for 90 seconds, jog back down and repeat. 
Oh, I like this, you can see how much you progress from week to week by how far you get up the hill. Cool :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-05-31 3:44 PM
The objective is not to sandbag the first one and then get as far up the hill on successive ones, especially the last, as on the first.  So even hitting the same point up the hill from one week to the next is improvement since the # of repeats increase each time except for the "reset" at 7.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 3:04 PM
The Ugly Mudder is the easier to the 3 trail races the Pretzel City hosts on Mt. Penn!  : pbbt:

Steamtown was always good to me... 2 PR's there! That downhill start gets you rolling.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-05-31 12:01 PM
Well, I live a few miles from Heartbreak Hill, so I run it quite regularly.

Hilliest race by far was the Twisted Ankle Trail Marathon in Georgia, with a bunch of the good folks from L&O. Around the lake, up the mountain, down the back of the mountain, back up the mountain, along the ridge line, turn around, back to the top of the mountain again, down the mountain, around the lake, finish, collapse.

6.8 miles this morning.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-31 12:18 PM
Becky's Bluff is one of the steepest hills I have ever been on.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 1:40 PM
Sounds more like broken ankle!
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-05-31 3:13 PM
I think the only thing anyone from the forum ever broke during TA was ribs from falling!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 7:32 AM
:shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 3:02 PM
Ha, that sounds like a typical Appalachian Style trail course!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-31 12:25 PM
Hilliest race was the Mt. Mitchell 40 Mile Challenge I ran back in 2008. It has over 4,300 ft of climb - most of it in the first half as you run to the top of the mountain. There was a surprising amount of uphill on the way down the mountain. We usually have done a hill workout once a week but I have been avoiding that so far this year. We will get back to that as we ramp up our training for fall races.

5 miles at noon on our flat course in town. It was specifically designed to be easy even during the hottest months of the year.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-05-31 1:40 PM
What is your fall race?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-31 4:06 PM
The main fall race is Kiawah Island in early December. I'm also doing one in Omaha, Nebraska in September but that is just going to be to cross that state off. I'm also joking the WIMPS for their Hood to Coast race in August and don't want to be too much of an anchor.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 7:33 AM
Hood to Coast! Fun! :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-05-31 3:02 PM
I was talking to someone during my 50k at the Ironmasters who had done Mt Mitchell when they used the trail to get up there? I seem to recall your report there was some trail involved or was it the access road to the summit? Either way, that is a big climb!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-05-31 4:07 PM
It looks like they will only be able to use the access road to reach the top now. When I did it, it was trail to the top and we ran the access road on the way down.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Humpdaily WEDNESDAY