Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Training Gear Thursdaily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 11:52 AM
What gear do you own for training? Shoes and socks? Watch? GPS? HRM? iPod/MP3 player? Fanny pack? Water bottles? Other?

Run/workout
Food/drink
Blather

Bonus: For hydration on your runs, do you use a handheld water bottle or hydration pack? Do you stop at water fountains/places of business to refill? If you use sports drink, do you carry it all with you or use powder and make it along the way? Or are you a camel and don't hydrate on long/hot runs?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 12:22 PM
This thread is brought to you by making my packing list for my tri this weekend. There is so much crap involved! :laugh: For running, aside from shoes and socks I have my orthotics, my GPS/smartwatch, RoadID, flipbelt to hold gels and music, iPod, and two sizes of handheld water bottles. I have an HRM, but my snazzy new GPS/smartwatch (Garmin Fenix 5S) has an optical HRM that is supposed to be pretty accurate for running so I will likely not need the external HRM. Side note: I LOVE my new Fenix 5S . It has all the functionality of my Garmin 920 multisport GPS plus all the functionality of my Garmin vivosmart smartwatch/fitness tracker. And it looks pretty, which is always important. : pbbt:

Run/workout: 30+ minutes on the bike this morning for 6.5 miles or so. Just wanted to get acclimated to the outdoors since I don't think I have ridden outside since I broke my hand last June. :shocker!: Post-work I might swim or run or just go home since I think I'm coming down with a migraine, ugh.

Food/drink: I have been bringing my lunch all week and I don't know if it's mental, but I feel so much better in the afternoon not eating cafeteria food for lunch! Today I had a turkey sandwich and yogurt with blueberries, iced tea to drink.

Blather: How is it already June? :wtf:

Bonus: I use a handheld water bottle and refill at water fountains or purchase cold water at convenience stores if there is no water fountain nearby. I use gels so no sports drink or drink mix for me.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-01 12:46 PM
Ooo.. I'll have to check out that Garmin the next time I'm in the market.

I think it doesn't feel like June because the weather has been so wonky. It was so cold in our house on Monday that L asked to put on the heat :roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:29 PM
Just so you don't get sticker shock, the Fenix 5 is $600! :shocker!: I called it my reward for PRing at Sugarloaf so that I could justify the purchase. In reality it was a semi-impulse buy after fiance bought one and I had smartwarch envy. :laugh::blush:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-01 12:48 PM
I know your question is primarily running related but for your Tri I don't see bike, helmet, goggles or wetsuit listed. :shocker!: or :laugh:

Which/where is your Tri again?

...and good luck!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:35 PM
I didn't feel like typing out all of the tri gear because that list is too long! :laugh:

I am doing the Independence sprint tri in Quakertown PA. 400 yard swim/10 mi bike/2 mi run. I was originally scheduled to do Devilman again this year, but it fell 2 weeks before Sugarloaf so I transferred my entry to this race. I was hoping for a bit longer distance-wise for a sprint race, but none of the other races put on by Piranha Sports worked in my schedule.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-01 3:09 PM
Oh damn, I wish I'd known about this race. It's like 30 minutes from my house if that. And it would have been a good one to do!
I am going to buy the 935 as it's the same thing as the fenix just with a plastic housing. I'm cheap and can't afford the fenix : pbbt: Meaning I can't justify the expense.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:44 AM
I only found this race after deciding not to do Devilman. I didn't realize it was so close to you! Also I didn't look at a map to figure out where it was until yesterday. :roll::laugh:

I have the 920 and I love it, except it's big and bulky, so when I saw the fenix I was in love! I shouldn't have justified the expense since my 920 is in perfect working order, but I was weak. : pbbt:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:44 AM
I have a 910 that has been acting funky. It's battery was draining after 100% charge within 2-3 hours and did it for a month. now it remains charged but does other random stuff and Finn (new dog) ate the piece that holds the strap together so I have a rubber band so I can slide it in holding it on :classy: So I am in the market but I still can't justify the expense : pbbt:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-01 12:41 PM
I don't have a lot of training gear. I used to have a Garmin, but it died a few years ago, and I never replaced it. Now I roughly measure the timing of my runs based on how many minutes of a podcast I can listen to. In the winter, I'm a bit more reliant on gear that allows me to run in the season, like headlamp and reflective panels that I stick on my jacket. Overall, The single piece of gear that I rely on the most is my running backpack, which affords me the flexibility to run commute, which is my only opportunity for running sometimes.

Run - 4 today. After what seemed like a week of rainy, foggy, gross weather, we finally turned the corner yesterday. It's beautiful! Actually, my office looks out over an apartment building with a pool on the roof. There appear to be many sunbathers, but no one seems to be in the water.

Food/Drink - Had only ten minutes to get food today, so I grabbed a pre-made turkey wrap. It was really unsatisfying. Not in the quantity (it was huge), but it was just really kind of lousy. The turkey was really slimy. It was supposed to have avocado, but I only found a tiny little sliver. The bacon was undercooked. Meh. On the plus side, another woman on our team is leaving to take a job closer to her home, so we just had cake. Not the best eating day so far, but since I'm pregnant, I'm taking much more of a F-it approach to food than usual.

Blather - This week is dragging big time. It's like I lose my rhythm after a three-day weekend, and it's like I operate in a hangover until I get to the next two-day-weekend reset.

Bonus: For a regular run, I don't carry anything. My longer runs would typically take me past a water fountain or two, so I carry a handheld in the summer for runs over ten miles. I have never tried the belt thing. In the winter, even though I would like a drink, I don't really carry things because they turn to ice blocks in my hands. In those cases, I'll just bring cash and stop at a convenience store or gas station.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:37 PM
You are pregnant, the baby needs cake! :laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-01 12:44 PM
All of the above!:laugh: "Other" would be bluetooth headphones, crucial for tm runs. Oh, and I do own a treadmill. Had it since Feb. '05, given me almost no trouble, knock on wood- it's now out of warranty so I hope I didn't just jinx myself.:laugh: My favorite item would be the polar tec fleece tights, they have gotten me through some really cold winter running!:hug:

no workout today, other than about 3 miles worth of dog walking. I leave for Ragnar PA tonight, with a good appreciation of all the work Aisonvet, Anu, Donna, and all put into making the RTB WIMPS such a well-oiled machine. This is a first time relay for everyone on the Ragnar team except me, including the captain. I expect some hiccups.:laugh: Food: breakfast was a delicious fresh blueberry bagel.  It was still warm. Green smoothie for lunch. Blather: even though I'm not a big relay person, I'm looking forward to getting away for a day or two, focusing on running.

Bonus: For most hot runs, I use a 16-oz handheld water bottle that carries my phone. I do refill at water fountains as needed. I use Tailwind for sports drink on long runs, so for long runs I'll premix a few bottles, put them in a cooler, and run loops near my car so I can switch out as needed- Saddle River Park is good for that. In long races (Ultras), I'll carry baggies of powdered Tailwind unless by chance the race has it on the course.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:23 PM
Good luck in the relay!  A woman from my running club is doing it with a Vegan Team.  I understand there are multiple Vegan Teams in it :shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:37 PM
Good luck and have fun in the relay!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:09 PM
As a runner, all I typically used in nice weather was running shoes, socks, shorts, sometimes a hat, a (preferably) tech T shirt and my Timex Ironman watch.  While training for my 18th and last marathon during the winter I bought a water bottle on a belt because several of my 20 milers would be away from access to water. 

Similar to Beastie, I'm doing the swim & bike portions of a Tri this weekend and have to pack a lot of crap!  Tri shorts & top, goggles, wetsuit, bike shoes, socks, baby powder to put in my socks so I can get them on my wet feet after the swim, Body Glide for places where my wetsuit can chafe and also on my lower legs & ankles to help it slide off, a water bottle, my bike :roll:  , sunglasses, towel, a throwaway shirt to wear for up to 2 hours while I'm on a ferry in the Delaware Bay waiting for the swim start.  Like many of the large Triathlons, we're required to set our bikes up in the transition area the day before.  The logistics for this race require parking about a mile away from the transition area/Expo area on Saturday so I'll have to walk or ride my bike in from there.  Also on Sunday I'll need to return and take a shuttle bus from parking sometime after 4:15am :cry: so I can place the rest of my gear (bike shoes, helmet, bike gloves, sunglasses, socks, towel, etc.) with my bike and board a ferry before 6:00am.  all this for a 35/100ths of a mile swim and a 12 mile bike ride : pbbt:

My workout will be teaching cycling class tonight.  I did shoulder PT exercises earlier this morning.

My boss at the gym emailed to ask if she could have a potentially new instructor teach my class next Wednesday morning as an audition and would I also take the class with her (my boss) to help with feedback.  A couple of our instructors are moving so she needs at least one new permanent one.

Bonus:  I HATED carrying anything in my hands when I ran!  In warmer months my longer runs were usually routed by a couple of water fountains.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-01 1:44 PM
Baby powder in your socks is new to me. How much do you use? Do you not dry your feet off with a towel in transition? Does the baby powder affect you when you run? Well, not that you are running Saturday but you know what I mean.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-01 1:12 PM
Let's see... pretty basic stuff. Shoes (Altra Lone Peak, Olympus), wool socks (Woolie Boolie), shorts, shirts, etc. I don't use GPS or HRM, just a timex ironman watch that shows elapsed time and splits. Nothing fancy. I use Nathan handhelds when I need to carry fluids, and for night running have a black diamond 150+ lumen headlamp and a small fenix flashlight that I carry as a backup light source. I sort of look out of place at an ultra though since I look like a minimalist with just 2 handhelds and not much else.

Run/workout: The sun finally appeared here yesterday for what seemed like the first time all week. It was a proper spring evening for a woodsy hilly trail run. The Lady and I did our standard ~7 mile loop at Coventry Woods. After a sort of average start on the first half, kind of kicked it in, or at least put some effort out and came in under 70 minutes. That's my game, 7 under 70. I had not done that on this hilly loop for over a month now. Good run, and second run in my new pair of Altra Olympus. I may use those shoes for my 100 miler this month since my body is a bit creaky and these have more cushioning than the Lone Peaks. Plan is for 7 tonight, maybe French Creek Park. I also did planet of fitness at lunch today for strength and stretching.

Food/drink: Not sure, still have some leftover red beans and rice. I think I will go on the light side with some 12th of Never Ale while watching game1 of the NBA finals tonight.

Blather: Another string of annoying household failures. Now the main kitchen faucet is leaking from the pullout sprayer. I've diagnosed the problem, and waiting for Kohler to send me the parts (for free, but I have to wait). And one the blinds in the bedroom had a string break. It's a sort of complicated mechanism, a shade blind, and looks like it would be a pain to self repair, and I'm not finding any good youtube repair videos.

Bonus: Handhelds for runs over 2 hours... 1 or 2 bottles depending on the length of the run. I usually do one water, one sports drink (Tailwind) and for super long runs I will carry and extra baggie or two of powder in my shorts pockets. I plan runs where I can refill water at some point or loop back to the car.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-01 7:39 PM
Right now all that I use is a Garmin, running shoes, clothing of tech fabric.

Run: 5 mi. really lethargic. It was nice out though
Food/drink: spinach mushroom pizza, diet coke

Blather: I hope to be able to see Wonder Woman this weekend. I'm really excited about seeing it. I was a fan of the TV show from the 70's when I was 7 and 8. I remember having to alternate weeks watching it because we had one TV and it was in the same time slot as the Donny and Marie Show, which my sister loved. So we had to compromise. :roll:

Bonus: I never carry water. When I used to run long distances, I'd have water in my car in the summer on LSD days and run out and backs from my car in different directions.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Training Gear Thursdaily