Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frayed at the seams Friday (Dailies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 5:38 AM
Let's go. It's the final lap.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 5:42 AM Edited 2017-06-02 5:47 AM
I slept  8 unaided hours. Training and work have worn me out. One benefit is I sleep great.

Tomorrow is Hospital Hill. 10K this year and I am as ready as I'll ever be. Long runs, hill training and hilly runs. I also took yesterday and today off from running. It will be warm but hopefully doable at  7 a.m.

Just humorous aside. This year instead of a shirt (some years are better than others), they are giving out PJ pants. These are flannel pants in June after a hot race. I am looking forward to seeing at least one person who will inevitably wear them for the race.:roll:

I joked that based on past experiences, it was because many people would feel like laying in bed after the 1/2.:laugh:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-02 5:55 AM
:laugh: There are little old men who wear the flannel PJ pants at the track. Bizarre! :laugh:
Best of luck with the race! Glad you got the sleep.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:09 AM
Little old man is a fashion statement I don't want to make. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:40 AM
For full little old man fashion statement the pants would have to be too short (not easy for you) and reveal white athletic socks, preferably with blue or red stripes around the top. And be worn with moc type slippers.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:51 AM
I have already heard complaints that the pants are too long on "normal people".
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:53 AM
If they are cotton flannel they will probably be too short on "normal people" after a few washes.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 9:16 AM
Maybe they are technical pj pants? Is that even a thing?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:12 PM
I have microfiber pjs, so maybe...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:39 AM
Pajama pants? :laugh: I wish races would give out shorts. Or socks. I know that would mean a lot less room for sponsors' logos, but I would like more pairs of shorts rather than yet more shirts. I have enough race shirts to keep me running for two months without having to do laundry, unless the neighbors called the health department because of the stench.

Good luck with the Hospital Hill 10K!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:53 AM
I've gotten some race shirts, but the cuts were unisex in both cases and were not all that flattering. I realize not everyone care about that, but I have other shorts  that look better, I just don't wear them.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-02 7:57 AM
Perhaps the tendency towards shirts is because people have lots of preferences in shorts (inseam length, style, cut, etc.) whereas shirts are somewhat more generic? Same problem with socks - some like them short/long, different materials, and so forth (although there is less variation than with shorts)?

I personally would like races to give socks.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 9:17 AM
Technical socks would be cool.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:12 PM
I think it's because the back side of the shirt offers lots of space for messages from sponsors.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:19 AM
PJs? Nope. So much nope. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:43 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 10:22 AM
I'd actually like PJ pants. They would be useful. Unlike the stack of short sleeved shirts I have!  I only wear printed shirts around the house or for yard work. At least long sleeve ones I'll wear to bed in the winter. But the short sleeved ones rarely get worn. And I have Green Lake OWS and Park to Park OWS from at least five years each, identical shirts in different colors
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:44 AM
I think PJ pants are a personal decision. It's not that I'm ridiculing them, it's just personally not my style.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:48 AM
This. Just not my style. There are many other items I'd rather receive at a race.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 12:40 PM
I was trying to say "race shorts" but autocorrect kept fixing it.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-02 5:56 AM
Thursday the weather was perfect so I did 60 minutes out on the trail with a 3X visit to the Evil Hill. It went well. I have a place I like to stretch in the park after my runs. A pair of Robins come to watch what I’m doing every time I’m there. It seems to be a good place for them to find food and they come quite close. Stretching is a quiet activity so they are not afraid of me.
Today I plan a trail run. Golf game after that. It’s my first time this year. I’m off to try hitting a little ball around with a stick. :roll:
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:13 AM
We all need to embrace conquering the Evil Hills in our lives. Followed by quiet stretches of course.:happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:40 AM
That hill is becoming your frenemy, isn't it? Good for you.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-06-02 6:14 AM
I ran again today. That is 3x this week. Trying to get up and do it. It is hard to keep moving forward. Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of Evan's last day of chemo we had so much hope and happiness back then. I do feel like I will never be truly happy real joy ever again. But I am moving forward slowly. I am on a team for Ragnar in November, I am just the driver but I could run if someone gets hurt or can't run. But it seems like these legs are awfully long, some people are running 7 or 9 mile legs. Is that normal for Ragnar? It is a road not trail, going from Melbourne to South Beach, 200 miles.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:50 AM
Yay for the 3 runs!

For Ragnar you are not "just the driver", the driver is a crucial part of the team! I've only done 2 Ragnars but in my experience the legs vary quite a bit in length, because they have to have changeover at a point where vans can pull in and wait for the runner. Even with a staggered start there can be some congestion. So if there's a stretch of road with no suitable point for changeover then the runners have to keep going until they can change over, which means the legs can vary from 2 miles to 9-10.

You have 12 runners in 2 vans? Remember that in practice there can be switching of legs, so if the missing runner was #3 and scheduled to do an 8 mile leg then #4's leg is 4 miles you could have #4 do the 8 miles if she's OK with that and then you do the 4 mile one. Nothing wrong with saying "I can sub but I don't think I'll be able to do more than 6 miles at a stretch".

And Melbourne to South Beach shouldn't have much in the way of nasty hills!

Every anniversary is going to be hard. Getting through the first year with all of them is miserable. Do what you need to do for yourself and your family.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:21 AM
NSF, even if you don't feel it now, if you keep doing what you are doing...moving forward...eventually you will be surprised to feel your emotions lightening. My mom is at three years now since losing her son and says happiness creeps back in gradually. Meanwhile, just gotta keep going. :sad::hug:
Parent - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2017-06-02 12:47 PM
I am so sorry I did not know you lost a brother. :sad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 12:48 PM
I am hopeful there will be happiness when you are ready for it. Good job on running and moving forward. I am totally baffled by Ragnar so no help there.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-02 6:08 PM
Great work on the runs! It will help so much to keep you moving forward. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:24 AM
SDO today. I had a chiro visit yesterday and then two hours of biking, PT and walking at the gym. One of my thoracic vertebrae has been easily pulled out of place lately (which I feel as a burning sensation under my left shoulder blade) but my chiro instructed me to try using the a foam roller after each workout. OMG. It was amazing. Why have I never used a foam roller before?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 2:36 PM
I'm glad you found a new use for the foam roller. I need to find one that does the rolling for me.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:40 AM
I had a 2700 yard swim today. This will be my 3rd swim this week as we just added a third day back in. Unfortunately the aquafit class ran 5 minutes over so I had to cut it short. And when I got there (waiting for the class to be over) there was a muscly dud there with his gallon jug of water and some snug square leg suit waiting to swim. He swam but it was very weird. Seemed he really just wanted to see  how far along the bottom of the pool he could swim before needing to breath? So weird, and how he was doing that was creating a LOT of waves so not only did I get some eye candy but I also got some open water swim practice in :laugh:

Kinda bummed for the weekend as I have a 3 hour ride/35 min run tomorrow and I was planning to go outside for the workout but J has to go cut down/remove some bushes from his mom's condo that the previous owners had put in and she's decided she doesn't want because they HOA told her  to cut them back (ie prune them). So anyway, because of this and A's production practice at 1 so that limits timing. Bummer.

Other news, hit the dr's office and saw the NP yesterday about my thyroid and she looked at my bloodwork and noted it's been up since last year. Now I went to them last summer about some issues and they opted for me to try the name brand drug vs generic but they kept the dosage the same. Even after my blood work this last january they still kept the same dose. The NP increased it from 50 to 75. This is the  first time in 8 years I've had a dosage change :meh: I'm pissed that this was overlooked because I've commented about  issues both last summer AND in Jan at my yearly physical. WTF. I really hope that the increased dose does help both with fatigue and more importantly the weight gain.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 2:37 PM
Must not have been his sport.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-02 2:32 PM
No run but a 5 mile hike. Really hot so at the end of the steep uphill part I rested on a rock in the shade to admire the view...at which point a RUNNER came up behind me. I need a break after hiking up the hill and there he is running. Way to make me feel really lazy :laugh: He claimed to be 'dying' but he looked (and sounded) better than I do on a flat run in 60F never mind at the top of a steep hill in 90F - must be a local :roll: The best I can manage is to not whine too badly tomorrow on my marginally uphill route.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 2:34 PM
maybe he lives at the top.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:33 AM
Nothing yet, waiting for Danibird (from RWOL Women's) to get up so we can do a 5 mile loop around the cabin area. Runnertype will be joining us later and race is tomorrow!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-02 2:32 PM
Hope you had a good pre race run.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Frayed at the seams Friday (Dailies)