Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Friday National donut day
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:17 AM
5 mile run for every donut you eat.  post 'em.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:23 AM
Good morning!

Up and ready for our road trip. Cooler is packed and ready to go!

Maybe we will pick up a donut on our way.

Enjoy your Friday!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:24 AM
have fun.  take pics!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:24 AM
Sent Lee to town for groceries and he said the line at the donut counter was miles long, the patrons were over weight, and the donuts looked bad.

So he brought home coffee cake and bacon:laugh:  So much for my healthy weekend at the lake.

Like every other time we have come to Michigan the trip was 2 hours longer than anticipated.  Darn Indiana just can't get that road done.  2 lanes where there should be 8.  Going on 3 years now....
But we made it safely and the view is amazing.  The lake house is much much nicer than my own home.  It sleeps 8 so we asked Lisa and Jacob to bring friends along when they come tomorrow.  We've got a  canoe, 2 kayaks, a firepit and marshmallows.  We are set!

Yoga today with Amy.  Though she doesn't know it yet.  She made a comment last night about how much fun outdoor yoga sounds.  Little does she know what her mom has planned out on the dock.:wink:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-02 6:45 AM
Pictures!  Your view sounds nice. And you have all the necessary toys!

How did you find the lake house?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:36 AM
VRBO  vacation rentals by owner.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-02 7:43 AM
We are going to the Dakotas in late August. May have to try that.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2017-06-02 6:38 PM
VRBO is a great avenue to experience something other than your usual hotel.

As a property manager/Realtor/travel expert of sorts, my caution is simply be wary of what deposit may be required. If one is needed, and many do not have that requirement, it should be minimal, just be clear on when that is returned and what may cause them to keep it.
:happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-03 6:01 AM
Thanks Sam!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-02 1:13 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend with your family.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-02 7:44 AM
Not a donut eater. But Sam and the kids are hitting the local donut places for freebies.

Doing a Dawn 10k this afternoon.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-02 8:29 AM
I did take the day off work, but I decided not to drive an hour and a half to the State Park where I intended to run. Instead, I went to Camp Arrowhead which is only 15 minutes away. My running chiropractor kept talking up the place on my visits.

Everything started ok on the run. I went down a gravel road that turned into a nice trail at about .62 miles.  That trail got skinnier, muddy, and rocky as I went.  I came to a fork and went right.  I went a while and came to another fork and went right again.  I came out on a road by a church camp/retreat facility.  I went back and tried the left fork and ended up at small cemetery at the top of a hill.  So I went back to the first fork and tried the left side.  That's when life got interesting.  There were too many forks in the trail to keep track of.  At some point I dead ended so I decided to head back, but when I passed a hunters' tree stand that I didn't pass on the way out I knew I did something wrong.  I went on for a while and even stopped to see if I could tell where I was by looking at the maps on my phone.  A street map app without my glasses proved worthless.  So I tried to go back and figure out where I made a wrong turn.

All of that was only 5 miles in 1 hour and 11 minutes.  I slipped in mud, slid on rocks, turned my ankle, and was dived bombed by big a$$ flies. I guess I just don't get the attraction some people have to running on trails. :roll:

I was very near the Kanawha Trace Trail which runs 30+ miles.  Good thing I didn't hit that and make a wrong turn or I'd be lost forever.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-02 8:29 AM
I ran 5 miles so I guess I can get a donut.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:19 AM
we had to detour yesterday because a road had fresh oil.  we ended up on something called a 'seasonal road' which I guess means it is not plowed in winter time.  it was nothing more than a dirt trail.  I heard the banjoes from Deliverance.

Good for your 5 miler, enjoy the donut!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-02 1:11 PM
Running the opposite direction on the trail I've just run makes it look like a new trail.  I've done what you did a few times on new trails, pathetically on marked trail races.:laugh:

A few years ago I ran the Kanawha Trace Trail 50K.  It was point to point ending at a Boy Scout campground.  The race took us off trail through a privately owned cow pasture and we had to climb a couple stiles.   I may have told you this already.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-02 2:55 PM
That scout camp is probably the one I was at today. One end of Kanawha Trace is there.

The 50k is the first week of August if you want to try it again.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-02 1:22 PM
Last week I ran into (not literally: pbbt:) a former teaching colleague who is retired.  A group of retired teachers I used to teach with meet the first Friday of every month for lunch.  She invited me and Melissa so we met for lunch today.  One lady who retired after my 3rd year of teaching was there.  I had forgotten about her, but knew her immediately.  I enjoyed it today.

I ran my usual 8 miler this morning. 

Since I already have 52 miles run since Monday, do I get to eat 10 donuts today?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-02 1:48 PM
old friends:hug: and 10 donuts!:grin:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Friday National donut day