Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR
- - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 7:08 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 7:16 AM
I should know better. A running friend who is male, former career military and conservative is a BIG trump supporter, pro life etc, posted about how he will not be seeing the new Wonder Woman movie because...proceeds are going to Planned Parenthood. I was all :wtf: So I did some research and all I could find is that one theater in Austin TX who is doing a women's only screening is donating the proceeds from THAT single showing to PP. So in his mind he's boycotting all of it, even though it's not the movie people (writers producers DC comics etc) that are doing it, but the single theater(where he doesn't live and since he's male he can't attend anyway). WhereTF is the logic? So I asked him if he did the  research before posting and his reply is that he knew about it for a few days before posting about it and that yes he did the research. I can't find any mainstream (ie not rinky dink conservative fan the flames site) saying anything more that what I said above. When I questioned further about the PP because he was all "my tax dollars shouldn't go to PP blahblahblah", I questioned why he is against money going to an organization that provides quality healthcare to both genders and when the tax dollars do NOT go to abortions. I then went back and deleted my comment because I decided it wasn't worth it and he still replied that the government can't prove it isn't providing money for abortions. WTF? He  also in a separate post commended our POTUS :shudder: for backing out of the Paris Climate Agreement. AGAIN WTF. I think it's time i unfriend this idiot.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-02 8:36 AM
Do it. (unfriend)
You have better things to do with your time/energy!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 9:44 AM
If you don't want to unfriend, you can mute the person. I had one "friend" who was so narcissistic that I couldn't deal with her posts. I just used FB settings to make sure I never see them.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-02 9:58 AM
that is what I've done too
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:22 AM
I did that with almost all of J's relatives :laugh::blush:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-02 1:25 PM
Oh yeah, I guess that is actually what I do too!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-02 4:42 PM
I've done this with a few people.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 9:58 AM
Facts don't matter to people like this guy. They BELIEVE PP is bad, and you can't argue against belief. :meh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:27 AM
This was exactly why I went back and said never mind and deleted my initial comment. I know that those people who are so entrenched in prolife can't see beyond and are  completely unwilling to see/hear opposing views.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-02 9:59 AM
I suggest you do not unfriend or unfollow a person who has vastly different opinions as you.  I suggest you continue to attempt to understand his opinions in a non-accusatory manner (Why do you feel that way?  I didn't know about the PP support, where can I learn more about this?).

How do we bring the country to the table and discuss things if every time an opposing view you don't understand is muted/deleted/silenced?  While the logic of your friend may be flawed or based on lies a third party told him, how will calling him an idiot persuade him to change his mind?

One of the rallying cries during the last election occurred when a whole swath of the population was labeled "Deplorable" - that population saw the election as "us vs. them" and bonded together under the label.

One of the opposing rallying cries was "Nasty Woman" - how did that population react?  Again, "us vs. them", t-shirt slogans with "Nasty Women Vote" and "I'm a Nasty Woman" appeared.

Don't isolate yourself further into your own bubble unless it is to protect your immediate emotional/psychological/physical health, and once you are recovered from the immediate danger, gradually expose yourself to different opinions once again - there will be no dialogue if we cannot both meet in the middle and accept that my truth and your truth are both biased.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:07 AM
Well said, Mickey.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:26 AM
I agree and for the most part I have not unfriended those with opposing views, only those that are nasty and start calling me names. So far he has refrained but he's becoming more outspoken as this presidency goes on and I think he'll get to that  point hence my debating unfriending. I have never called him an idiot or anyone else names. I HAVE however been told I'm a "libtard, snowflake, asshole, disgrace to the family, and that I need to get a life" and to those that have done that, they have been unfriended AND blocked.
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:35 AM

>> "AGAIN WTF. I think it's time i unfriend this idiot."

You may not call him an idiot to his face or his facebook, but I'm not privileged to that communication.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:41 AM
Yeah to his face or page. It's not the same.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-06-02 12:27 PM
Uh, she absolutely may.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 1:34 PM
No she's not saying I can't but that she doesn't know if I HAVE.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-06-02 11:18 AM
:hug:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-02 11:56 AM
I definitely agree with a lot of this but I know for me it isn't that the person has different views of me it is that this person is spouting things constantly and I'm tired of it taking up my news feed. My fb friend list definitely has a mix of both sides and I see posts every day showing that.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-04 10:40 PM
Late to this, but wholeheartedly agree. This is the more difficult path, but such is the way of most things worth doing.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 2:32 PM
There are many people IRL who I have to interact with who think like that, not to mention, many of them I am called to love and serve as a minister.  This is where the "unfollow" button comes in handy.  It makes it a lot easier to serve them.  Love... well, I'm still working on that.

If anyone ever begins talking about such things with me, however, I am not shy to enter the discussion and share my own thoughts.

I generally don't get into political discussions on social media because it doesn't do any good.  The only chance, I think, is face to face.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-03 11:25 AM
I have lots of people unfollowed since nov 8!  This guys sounds like a douche and life is too short.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:05 AM
T-bone got X-rays and a CT scan yesterday to make sure his noggin and spine are okay after the car accident. He is definitely suffering from a concussion, but at least we know there is no brain bleed or obvious damage; full results should come from his neurosurgeon today. Poor dude. His head is hurting but he had to go in to work for a while today anyway when he really needs a dark room and some nappage. And he is having to deal with all the insurance and repair details right now as well.

So Twinzilla and New Beau observed drily that the other driver had a pretty bad day when she rear-ended a rocket scientist in a Tesla who had pre-existing spinal injuries and whose biggest asset is his brain. Her moment of inattention is going to cost her insurance company quite a bit.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-02 1:14 PM
:hug:  Hope you get good news. 
:laugh:  Good observation!
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 2:33 PM
I hope for good news!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:16 PM
Hope the news is good.

Also hope she HAD an insurance company.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 10:11 AM
A group of six swimmers is doing a 14 mile swim around Mercer Island (in Lake Washington) today. I went out on my way to work to watch the start. It was impressive. I don't think I could ever do such a swim. One of the women is planning on doing two laps!! They predict finish times between 6 and 8 hours!  I can't imagine being in the water that long.

Tomorrow is my 3k swim. I was all excited about it until I learned there are only 68 entrants. That means I will likely be DFL. If there were 200 I'd have a much better chance of finishing before SOMEONE!  : pbbt: 2/3 of us are doing the 3k, 1/3 are doing the 5k. There are three women and two men swimming skin. I'm one of those. :shocker!:  And I'm meeting my carpool at 5am!!  I'm guessing I'll be sleeping most of the afternoon!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:18 AM
Fourteen miles...wow.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-02 10:31 AM
That is insane :saystheonewhodoesironmans:
You will not be DFL and on the off chance you are, who cares? You are out there swimming and getting fit and enjoying something! Have fun tomorrow!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 12:22 PM
I keep thinking how funny it is that we who do some pretty darned long runs are having trouble wrapping our heads around swimming long distances. LOL!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 1:24 PM
this will be about 2 hours in the water (hopefully closer to 1:40, but that depends on currents). So this is just like a 2 hour run. :wink:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 4:52 PM
Oh, yeah...totally similar. Only not. :laugh:

But I know you can do it. :cool::grin:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 1:23 PM
Yeah, the race officially closes at 300, so I didn't expect 68!! I guess I'm ahead of the 232 who didn't register!!:laugh:

I've been DFL in foot races before. I'm usually in the last third of swimmers in swim only events (first 1/3 in triathalons) but have never been DFL.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-02 11:57 AM
14 miles seems crazy but so does 3K and 5K !!

Does swimming skin mean no wet suit?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 1:21 PM
Yeah, no wet suit. :cool:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-02 1:17 PM
So, I see you are one of 3 women, or 5 total totally badass enough to swim skin for 3k!  A wetsuit gives an advantage, so even if you are DFL, that is not on equal footing (or water?).  Good luck and have fun!  You got this!!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 1:22 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm DFL, not wetsuit. That and my preference for breast stroke, which is a slower stroke. :wink: (the breast stroke keeps me from getting seasick, or inflaming my shoulder)
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 1:53 PM
If you want to real time track the six swimmers going around the island today you can look here: https://track.rs/nowsa/ the dark green dot is the woman who is probably going around twice.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 2:35 PM
Whoa!  Good for you!  That is a LONG swim!  And who cares if you are DFL (and you might not be, you know!)

I wrote a blog about being DFL in a race back in March.  I said I was delightedly, fabulously last!
Someone's Gotta Be Last!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-02 3:28 PM
Wait, so one of the women is planning to swim 28 miles??:shocker!:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-02 3:33 PM Edited 2017-06-02 3:36 PM
yes, she is. She's already on her second lap.:shocker!:

ETA: actually, I was a little off on the distance, she is only going to swim 26 miles. :wink: as if anyone swims a straight line:roll:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:17 PM
Swimming a marathon. :shocker!:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-02 4:42 PM
14 miles:shocker!:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 12:24 PM
The "frayed at the seams" daily thread seems kind of apt today, since today is the day I finally broke down and bought a serger. :blush: Pray for me.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 2:36 PM
Ooh, fun!!!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-02 3:02 PM
A what? :wtf:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-02 4:55 PM
It's a sewing machine that does hems and edges.

If you look at the hem on a the bottom of, say, a cotton tee-shirt, you will see a serged hem, with multiple threads overlocking to keep the fabric from unraveling. It is a lot faster and neater finishing seams with a serger than with a regular sewing machine.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-02 6:11 PM
I think what I need to do, is find a friend who owns a serger. : pbbt: well, who lives a little closer than you do Zip.
Parent - - By flyingkiwi Date 2017-06-02 10:05 PM
If you trust yourself to unzip the beanbag and look at the seams on the inside you'll see the effect from an overlocker (serger...)
:happy:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-03 3:04 AM
:cool: That's some impressive overlocker effect.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-02 10:17 PM
Nice! Have fun learning its capabilities.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 2:42 PM
I've been watching the "real" Cliburn since it began several days ago.  This is the one for people who are aiming for concert careers.  Out of 290 applicants, 30 were ultimately accepted.  9 were women.

At the first cut (10 people), six of the 10 were women.  So out of 20 quarterfinalists, 17 were men, 3 were women.

Now for the semifinals, out of 12 contestants remaining, ONE is a woman.

When I did the amateur Cliburn, there were only 3 of us in the semis (out of 12) and all 3 of us were eliminated for the finals.  It was six men in the finals.

When I played in Munich, of the 11 recitals, only 2 were women.  Me & my friend from Ireland.

I don't know why piano is such a male-dominated field.  I'm not saying the results are unfair.  I just wonder what it is.  Roughly 50% of the population is female.  Yet we are definitely the minority in piano competition. 

So I'm rooting for Rachel Cheung from Hong Kong!!  I honestly don't think she's the best one and doesn't really have a chance to win the whole thing, but I sure hope she can play well and get into the final 6.  Go, Rachel!!!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-02 3:11 PM
That doesn't necessarily surprise me. The woman can always marry and keep playing as a hobby while taking care of the family. The man will need to win in order to have a career and support his family.
What gender were the judges?
Also - any way to look at the ratios in collaborative piano?
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2017-06-02 3:37 PM
When I remarked on this after the amateur Cliburn, that's sort of what PC said.  More men enter because they have wives who take care of everything so they can practice.

The jury is male and female, pretty evenly split in the amateur (not sure about the pro - I'd have to look it up but I think it's pretty even.)

But you know, I remember even growing up going to competitions, there were WAY more girls entered than boys, but any boy who was entered was almost always a force to be reckoned with.  There really weren't many mediocre male competitive pianists in the D.C. area in high school.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-02 4:44 PM
Huh, maybe the bias starts when they're kids. Unless they're exceptional and may have a career, they are discouraged from pursuing it too seriously? What are the ratios in music schools these days?
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-02 4:45 PM
Seriously what is with people today? Had one patient cut me off mid sentence to make a phone call, not answer a call (which is still annoying) but make a call! Then had another play solitaire on her tablet the entire time I talked to her. Then a mom yelled at me because he child's cough is not miraculously better after she saw a colleague yesterday and was told she had a virus. Seriously I am done with people today:meh:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-02 8:54 PM
Wonder Woman is incredible!  I want to see it again.

To frame this statement, I don't enjoy going to the movies; I only went because it was a work thing.  And the thought of sitting for over 2 hours makes me want to run away.  I never see movies twice.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-03 3:05 AM
Woah. I haven't been to a movie and ages, but maybe i'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-03 3:18 AM
I feel the same, if I watch a movie it is at home where I can move around and take breaks! I have heard from a few people that they want to see it again.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-03 5:32 AM
Good to know. I have friends who wanted to go bc we sometimes get each other little WW gifts as sort of women empowerment I guess. Unfortunately I can't go bc of baby although I've never been much of a comic book movie person but I'll definitely add it to Netflix
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR