Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Sierra Saturday RR/NRR
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-03 5:33 AM
Because that's where runnertype and I are running today...
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-03 5:34 AM
RR here
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-03 9:36 AM
Wishing you both a good run!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-03 9:39 AM
Heading to the gym in a bit for the bike-walk-weight workout.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-03 10:51 AM
Sounds effective and efficient.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-03 10:50 AM
Just got back from Hospital Hill 10K.10 seconds slower than last year, but I got 1St in my AG and finished higher in the rankings, it was an oven out there so I'll take it. Had a nice morning hanging out and socializing after the race which was nice since I'm usually the one who has to rush off.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-03 11:25 AM
nice job on the AG award!  10 secs is nothing, plus  the conditions sound rough.  Good work!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-03 11:56 AM
Great job on the AG first! Especially since the heat was icky. :grin:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-03 6:40 PM
Great job! These days, I pretty much go for the socializing, not to run fast...;)
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-03 9:40 PM
Congratulations on the 1st in your AG!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-03 11:24 AM
have a great run today!  hoping I'll get out there for something.  At work 10-4 today.  SLeep has been crap this week - P has been sick, then I got sick.  Ergo, running has also been crap.  We also have to go to the post office when I get home from work to finalize her passport application for our trip to Ireland in July.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-03 3:34 PM
I hope you get to run and sleep.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-03 6:40 PM
OMG. We did E's passport application last month, we're going to Iceland in August. Getting him to sit still for the perfect picture was interesting but it turned out adorable.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-05 1:57 PM
it was soooo funny getting her to sit still for the picture.  HA!  She looks zoned, but adorable, in the final one.

ICELAND!  So awesome.  I LOVED Iceland.  And Scandinavians love kids, so it will be great traveling with E.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-06-06 3:51 AM
:grin: Oops, need to answer your post! Yes, children are very welcome here. :hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-03 4:59 PM
more when not on phone. but I didn't drown and I even came home with hardware!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-06-03 6:01 PM
Well done!!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-03 6:33 PM
:grin::cool:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-03 6:39 PM
Yes, tell us more!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-03 8:22 PM
:cool:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-03 10:51 PM
:cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:33 AM
Congratulations
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-04 7:15 AM
:cool: Well done!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-04 5:04 PM
:cool: Nice!
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-03 6:38 PM
First run today in a about three weeks! I went to run a 5k this morning that is in remembrance of my running buddy Don. DH had a driving event, so I took E with me. 3 minutes slower than last year but oh well. One of my friends was overall winner!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:34 AM
I hope you and E enjoyed the race.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-03 9:44 PM
RT  made it over 26.2. I made it somewhere around 28. She had horrible blisters and needed to be brought in.

All hail the forum. I could not get hold of the RD and the aid station had closed. I tried to get hold of Margaret, couldn't directly, but texted Lisa and Karen and Lisa called Margaret to let her know RT needed to be driven in. Within 5 minutes a truck was headed our way.

So officially DNF but we made it over 26.2!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:36 AM
Ugh. I'm glad you got a ride back for RT.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-04 4:37 AM
The aid station close? When the race was still on? :shocker!: Yeah for making it the distances you did though!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 8:28 AM
Well, officially the race was not still on, but they don't sweep runners off the course. We were so slow that we were past the published closing times, so I'm not faulting the race. And all worked out in the end.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 11:58 AM
Wow! The forum is amazing!  Good job on getting as far as you did!  :cool:  Blisters suck!  :cry:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 12:11 AM
Swim was actually very poorly organized even though this was the fourth year. A friend who has done it twice before said she thinks the coast guard isn't likely to permit it again.

I was one of three women to swim skin for the 3k. There was a fourth who swam skin but didn't register skin. She ended up being take off the course and to the hospital, I hope she is ok.

The 5k swimmers didn't get to do the full course. They drifted into the ferry right of way and had to be turned around. This happened, in part, because at the safety meeting they told us the current was going a different direction than it was. Us 3k swimmers also drifted into the ferry path, and the ferry ended up going around us! Not a good idea for anyone.

Two friends who wore gps trackers both tracked 2.4 miles (3k is about 1.8 for those who don't do mental math).

A swim friend of mine volunteered to be my kayaker, and she stuck to me once I was pretty much on my own. The water was 51, which felt warm to me, or at least reasonable. The jellyfish were beautiful! I love moon jellies and there were a ton at both the beginning and the end. It was low tide, so I'm guessing that helped.

I don't have a whole lot to say about what I thought about on the swim. I had no sense of time and only a vague sense of distance. I had to look back at the shore behind to realize both how far I'd gone and how much we were drifting.  I did at one point think about the math required to calculate the distance I would swim if I was 45 degrees off plumb and the plumb line was 3k. But that is a lot more mental math than I could do while swimming!  Most of my thoughts were breathe, bubbles, breathe, bubbles... I did comment to my kayak friend at about 3/4 of the way that I finally believed I was going to do it!  And there was another safety kayaker who I didn't like as he was too close to me and right in my path. I was about to ask him to move when he paddled off.

The results....I predicted 90-100 minutes for a 3k but knew with current I'd never predict accurately. I finished in 1:36 by the official clock! (1:34 by my watch). So I'm proud of that! I was the final finisher. But I was also 3rd in the female skin division, so I came home with a super cute glass ball!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-04 4:39 AM
Jeez, the ferry path! I'd have been freaking out! Well done for staying calm and trying to do math while swimming :laugh: Yeah! third place! That's awesome!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 9:50 AM
The part where the ferry cut in front of the course and then around us was when I realized how horrible of a situation we were in. I'm glad the ferry captain and the coast guard were making good decisions for us.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-04 5:06 PM
:shocker!: I'm glad you are ok! :hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 8:31 AM
Congratulations on the place and the hardware! That sounds very dangerous swimming close to the ferry path. I'm sure the ferry crew registered a vociferous complaint with the Coast Guard. How did they not know which way the current was going, unless the safety meeting was weeks before and something changed?

Does every swimmer have to provide a kayaker, or are they optional, like pacers at LD run events?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 9:49 AM
No, the kayakers were all there for everyone, there were a dozen or so. I just knew one of them and we knew I'd be an outlier at the end, so she agreed to bring up the rear, so she could support me.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 9:48 AM
Photos now on facebook.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 10:43 AM
51 F. gets pretty chilly over time; did you stay warm enough?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 12:46 PM
I felt a little cold in the middle, but just swam harder to generate more heat, and was fine.  I never got the shivers or shakes when I got out, so I figure I was fine. :cool:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 12:02 PM
:cool::cool:  You are so totally badass!  That sounds super hard and super cold and shockingly dangerous.  I'm glad you had fun.  Great job on getting 3rd!!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 12:48 PM
Thanks. I'm glad I didn't know quite how dangerous while I was doing it.  I don't think I'd do it again on this course. If she moves the swim away from the Ferry I'd consider it. But Ferry traffic has right of way and those boats are BIG so you don't want to f with them! I'm sure the captain didn't want to be the ferry captain who killed 35 swimmers, but still!
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-05 9:51 AM
Looking at the map it seems inevitable to meet the ferry depending on the current; like the race needs to be farther from the ferry route or start down-current from it.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-05 9:58 AM
yes. The problem with that location is that the current is unpredictable and shifted even within the course this weekend. My kayaker described it as 1.25 miles of current to the east, .25 miles of doldrums, and .3 miles of swift current to the west. I'm not sure you could plan an event as far ahead as this needs to be planned and still avoid meeting the ferry. Especially since we started about 100 yards from the ferry terminal on the north side.

MCF and I had a long conversation about currents at dinner Saturday night. Looking at the topography it is easy to see how unpredictable they will be. The swim needs to be moved or not done at all.  I'm guessing they won't move it as it is on a "historic" route (I think from before they ferry was there).
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-04 2:22 PM
Sounds kind of chaotic. I'm glad you finished and were rewarded.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-03 5:34 AM
NRR here
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-03 9:39 AM
Lazy morning here. Eldest Daughter, who learned how to scramble eggs this week, made us all scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. :grin::cool: They are yummy and perfect, I am happy to report.

T-bone says his head is feeling better; the concussion seems to be healing just fine.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-03 3:34 PM
Hope it goes well. I know it's a brutal course.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Sierra Saturday RR/NRR