Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / So Slow Sunday (RR/NRR)
- - By swandive Date 2017-06-04 8:44 AM
RR here
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-06-04 8:49 AM
"So slow" is a reference to my run this morning. :laugh::cry:  It's technically not summer yet and it is already so awful out there that I just keep getting slower and slower.  Of course it doesn't help that I'm tired.  I woke up a few minutes early this morning and was almost falling asleep while checking my email.

The circus (a.k.a. my sister and her three kids) are here.  They're waking up at night because of jet lag (and the youngest doesn't sleep very well anyway) and being kinda nuts during the day.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:12 PM
Hot and humid and horrible?

Hope the circus quiets down and gets acclimated to your time zone.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 10:44 AM
Kudos to reebs for a tough swim yesterday! The organization and safety issues sound, um, challenging. But to do that distance in that water temperature without a wetsuit...hats off to you, reebs!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-04 1:18 PM
Thanks. I'm still basking in the after glory!  And I'll need to write up a proper race report when I can sit down and compose it. There may be a few- one on currents, one on my race experience, and one on safety for events like this.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:12 PM
I can't imagine being in water that cold for that long. Even without the added complication of dodging ferries.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 10:47 AM
I did an hour of biking yesterday, and a pretty challenging weight workout, and walked 2 miles on the TM. It was an elephant day, though...first one in a while. I think my muscles were just tired. Today will be less intense: I am going to see if T-bone wants to go for a walk at the local park. It's a pretty day and it would be nice to get outside together.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 12:05 PM
Today is that ride I told you about, Elephant Rock!  I spaced that it was coming up and now we missed watching it!  Your Elephant comment reminded me.  Great job on the hard workouts; I am trying to channel you and be more determined to do PT when I am not at PT!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 1:50 PM
Oh, shoot! I missed it!

I am kind of wondering if this ACL rehab will push me toward being more of a biker than a runner. Colorado seems like a great state for cyclists.

How is your knee doing, Tritri? I can understand being sick of the PT and just wanting to get outside and DO stuff.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 2:25 PM
It is a great state for cycling and also for running, especially trail running.  Maybe you can do both.  Cycling is certainly easier on the body.

The knees are coming along and getting stronger, but will still have times when the swelling is too much and it hurts to walk.  I had that Friday, for no apparent reason.  I can walk about 20 minutes is all; and it gets worn out standing very long.  My ROM is great, so we are mostly working on strength in PT and so I don't think I should do that every day.  Then I overdo biking on the weekends and don't do it then either.  :roll:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 2:28 PM
Okay, honest truth here: I am so effing sick of being on the injured-reserve list I could spit. It's been a couple years of operating at not-quite-full strength now, and just when I was starting to finally feel awesome again this winter, I bust my ACL. I am DONE with this shit. DONE.

I am disciplining myself to be patient and steady and careful about working out but periodically, internally, I have a rough day in my own head, where on the inside, I'm ready to rage-quit. I can't fucking stand it anymore.

And yet, what's the alternative? Go out and break myself again? So much "no".

OTOH: I also have moments when I am so freaking grateful that I can walk without any problem now. Like today, when I realized I wasn't dreading having go all the way to the cart return and back after putting the groceries in my car. That was a major obstacle just a few weeks ago. So yeah, I have some perspective. But I still have those inner tantrums.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:15 PM
Tantrums and raging at the unfairness of knee injuries (and all other types of injuries) are allowed.

What is not good is sitting on the couch claiming that the injury should justify eating whatever you want and doing nothing. And you are resisting that temptation, so you are doing well.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 7:02 PM
:cry::cry::hug: It does suck!  Whaaa!!  Stomp!!!  Ouch!  I guess I can't stomp.  Aarg!  Now I am hearing Charlie Brown's voice in my head.  I can't stand it!  I guess that is why I didn't listen to myself and turn around when I got to 10 or even 12 miles, but instead doubled my longest ride, which I did just yesterday.  And yes, I am paying for it and my knees are very swollen right now.  If I want a hard workout I know I can swim hard laps, but I don't enjoy that.  So cycling I am doing at about 1/2 effort, so I want to go farther, but that is too much too soon.  I can walk about 20 minutes at the most right now, but can start limping if I do too much of anything, or even too much standing, or too much sitting.  I get nauseous due to the fatigue of pain several times a day, and the thing that helps that is pain meds, so I am not even off meds yet.  But things are always improving and there is glory in just being able to easily go outside when I want to!  So yes, I think a good pity party or temper tantrum is in order!  I've only been dealing with stuff since last August, so you have even more frustration to deal with!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:13 PM
Elephant Rock? What is being ridden?
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 6:35 PM
It's known as the start of cycling season and one of the largest bike rides around here.  They have a wide array of distances, but I usually do the 100 mile every year.  And it almost goes by Zipper's house!  I think just a mile away.  Plus with a little driving, we could have hung out at the 50 mile aid station with puppies!  The people who man the aid station train guide dogs and always have some puppies there, one of the main reasons I opt to do the 100 each year.  :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 9:51 PM
:hug: puppies.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-05 4:39 AM
I would do the ride just for the puppies as well :laugh: It's amazing how easily swayed into doing the same things every year just because there is one single  thing about an event that makes it completely worthwhile!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-04 1:03 PM
Yes, slow is the correct terminology for today :meh: I am supposed to be HR training and I loathe it with a passion. I purposefully started out slow and I STILL missed the zone AND when I turned around, my HR jumped and my pace slowed by almost a minute simultaneously.A huge WTF. It was an out and back, primarily flat. It was weird. When I got home I was curious so I looked up what my zones are supposed to be and how they correlate to my pacing. And no lie, my zone 2 (the one she wanted me to do today) has a range of 22 minute-14:30 per mile. Why bother? That's WALKING people, walking. And at one point when I slowed on the way back I wondered why I WASN'T walking. It's so stupid. What's the effing point? And yes I did ask that of my coach. Everyone says I'll see improvement but it's been since Feb and all I've done is get slow. I'm not even sure I could maintain or run a 10 m/m pace right  now and that was and always has been my go to default pace. I am so frustrated.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:14 PM
Then switch coaches and give it a few months to see what might happen with a different plan.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 4:33 PM
I could never do it when I tried.  Zone 2, for me, is < 160 hr.  I can average over that heart rate for a century ride, and have a lot of it be in zone 4 as well, to no ill effect.  I tried the zone 2 training a few times in my life time, but never got faster, and had to walk so much to keep the HR down.  And I never got better at it.  I finally got some training effect when I just ran and didn't listen to the advice.  I ended up doing a lot of tempo runs and that increased my fitness.  I've since read a lot of training advice about the Zone 2 myth.  While some days, Zone 2 is good for making sure your recovery run is a recovery run, it is good to mix in training in the other zones as well.  What zone can you run a marathon in during your Ironmans?
Parent - By Bunny Date 2017-06-04 8:06 PM
That's why I can never stick with HR training. My lowest level always feels like a walk. I can't keep that up for long enough to get my miles in. I do run with a HR monitor, so it feels like I should be HR training but I figure my zones must be wrong because arrrrrggghhh the walking!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-04 2:26 PM
I am moving slow too. 5 miles with the Sunday group. It was a decent 5 as opposed to a lesser quality 6.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:14 PM
Glad it was a decent 5.
- - By swandive Date 2017-06-04 8:44 AM
NRR here
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 12:17 PM
So today it is a beautiful blue sky, big view, pretty day, and it is also the day that I would normally do my 100 mile ride at Elephant Rock.  So, I am jealous.  Where are the hellacious headwinds?  The afternoon storm?  Anyway, so this morning I decided to go farther on the bike today, but more like 20, and just flat on the bike path.  I did 17 yesterday and that was OK.  Then I was riding and thought, how about 25?  Then I could see Pikes Peak taunting me and I wanted to get closer. I just couldn't make myself turn around.  And so I went until the bike path ended, 33 miles total.  Oops!  (One shouldn't double their longest ride). I just ride slow yet, so it took a while, and by the end my legs were really hurting, but my knees weren't so much. We will see how they fare the rest of the day.  The last 2 miles, my battery had died on my wireless shifting, so I couldn't shift the cassette anymore.  I guess I ride enough that I have to remember to charge this again.  :grin:  I got to see a deer bounding through a meadow, lots of pretty views of the river, birds and prairie dogs playing, a "Brake for Snakes" sign and a baby snake, people riding horses.  Very pretty day and I got to bike enough to not be jealous.  :grin:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 1:52 PM
Ahhhh...that sounds like a good ride. And yeah, what a perfect day! I am sure your muscles are protesting, but it's a good sign your knees are pretty much okay. Ice bath this afternoon?
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 3:00 PM
I've been icing the knees since I got home.  But I am about to get back to the regularly scheduled varnishing of the baseboards..
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:16 PM
Definitely charge your shifting cassette. (One of the problems of having it electronic, I guess.) Nice views! And a good bike.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-04 2:15 PM
Total NRR post: even though things are great right now, I still have moments when I have a huge wave of rage and hatred bubble up against XH. I was suppressing it and in denial about it when we were married, but now...damn. I look back and think of how much sh*t that man put me through, and I feel violent toward him. I want so badly to see life break him and hurt him in at least equal measure to what he did to me. He IS heading for some kind of reckoning eventually, with his health and finances at the very least, because of who he is and how he lives, but can anyone else relate to this?

I feel like I will burst if I don't acknowledge how much I hate him, and how angry I am still. :meh:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 3:04 PM
:hug::hug:  It sounds like it's safe to have all those feelings now, which is why you are feeling like this now.  And angry about Ratbag and how he is taking DH's side as well.  The last few years your future was in flux and now you are safe and secure, with a wonderful man and the contrast is just amazing...so now you can feel all the stuff you were repressing.  Take care of your heart.  :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 4:20 PM
Acknowledge it. But my recommendation is to write the letter to him telling him what he did, what his actions caused, and what you want to see happen to him, and DO NOT SEND IT. Burn it and send the feeling his way without actually communicating it.

You have the right to be angry, most certainly. But living well is the best revenge (clichey I know), he knows you are moving on and developing a new life and enjoying yourself without his input and that he was the one who blew it.

And yes I most certainly can relate to this. Except no matter how loudly I shout or how many letters I send I know DH isn't going to hear me.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-04 2:24 PM
After only 1 win this season O's softball team finished the tournament in 3rd!:grin: 2 girls got their first hits of the season today. So excited for them.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-04 3:04 PM
:grin:
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-06-04 6:51 PM
That's a nice way to end the season!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-04 9:51 PM
Nice!
Up Topic Communities / Women / So Slow Sunday (RR/NRR)