Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / June booklies
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-06 4:52 PM
I'm about 170 pages into Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. So far, I LOVE it.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-06 7:02 PM
I encourage you to YouTube the classical number referred to a couple of times in the book.  It's pretty cool.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-07 7:43 AM
I'm listening to it now. It is good. :cool:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-07 6:51 AM
I finished "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" last week. Simple fast Murakami read, no magic realism. Not his best but still a pleasant read.

Borrowed the first book of 1Q84 from the library, but am reading "De Aanslag" from Harry Mulish ("The Assault") at this moment. It's a book written in Dutch about a boy who lost his family during WWII and the aftermath of it all.
A very well written book describing the absurdity of it all. Apparently they made a movie in 1986 about the book that won the Oscar for Foreign Motion Picture in 86.
Almost done with it, so will be right back to Murakami in a jiffy.

"De Aanslag" gets a 9/10, really great book.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:09 AM
Not sure why, but Colorless T.... has been my favorite.  I just like the story, I guess.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-12 10:31 AM
It was a good read, but I'm still going with the favorite list I once posted. I do enjoy his books without the magical realism more, so this one falls in that category.
There are many themes that return in all his books, so I was never really blown away by the story, except for the reason the group of friends outcast him.
<spoiler>Also, the fact that he has a very bland opinion of himself, whereas it turns out everyone holds him in very high esteem is an interesting development in the story.</spoiler>

I do have issues with the ease they travel though "oh let's take a trip to Finland out of nowhere" :laugh: but hey, it's a book.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2017-06-07 8:15 AM
I too loved 1Q84. It reminded me a lot of a Neal Stephenson novel in that it was a really fun read, even if a lot of people didn't like the ending. Plus, the artist known as Cloudkicker made some really fantastic instrumental post-metal songs using sentences from the book as song titles. My favorite is A weather front was stalled out in the Pacific--like a lonely person, lost in thought, oblivious of time. It's all free, too! http://cloudkickermusic.com/album/subsume

I am reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. So far, it's pretty good, but not a lot has happened. I'm also picking up a collection of H.P. Lovecraft's works for when I have a few minutes to read here and there, which are terrific.
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:17 PM
I finally got caught up on the Game of Thrones books and wonder if there ever will be more.  It was interesting to see the differences from the TV show.

Now reading Assassin's Fate and having trouble putting it down.  It's supposedly the conclusion to a bunch of books I've loved.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-12 4:30 AM
Started with the first book of "1Q84", but only 30 pages in :wink:

I don't know what I'm more excited with, reading another Murakami Opus (3 books of 400 pages :cry::cool:) or the fact that I've read his full oeuvre after this :shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:08 AM
Do you think you'll begin re-reading, or are you done when you're done? 

I tend to read, re-read, and then read again the books I really like.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-12 10:20 AM
I don't think I've ever re-read a book. Maybe some parts, but I can't even recall that.
Parent - - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-06-18 1:08 PM
I'm reading The Essential Hamilton: Letters and other writings edited by Joanne Freeman and Alternative Truths which is a compilation of short stories by a bunch of authors about Trump or influenced by Trump. Some are funny,  some are sad, but it's all good stuff.

I recently read H.R. McMaster's Derilection of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, the JCS, and the Lies that Led to Vietnam. It's very well researched and written. I have no clue how someone could write that book and want to have anything to do with the currant administration. :meh:
And in preparation for my upcoming vacation in 9 weeks I read The World that made New Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square by Ned Sublette and Vicksburg: The Campaign that Opened the Mississippi by Michael Ballard. Both really well done histories.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-18 6:56 PM
This is the kind of stuff I should be reading, but just not feeling it right now...
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-06-19 2:14 PM
And I keep thinking I really need to read more novels. :happy:
- By IB [us] Date 2017-06-06 6:20 PM
Still working on How Bad Do You Want It? Mastering The Psychology Of Mind Over Muscle by Matt Fitzgerald.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-06-07 6:40 AM
I finished Commonwealth by Ann Patchett. Really liked it and will look forward to reading some of her other work.

Started Bruce Springsteen's biography Born to Run. Really liking it so far. Sometimes his writing style bugs me but it is interesting to hear about the influences that lead him to write certain songs. Last night I read that The River was about his sister who got pregnant at 17. And the role of the Catholic church in his upbringing...
Parent - - By jwd1113 Date 2017-06-08 6:41 AM
just finished Bruce's book.

he writes the way he talks... but i know exactly what you mean, sometimes, it gets a tiny bit annoying

i enjoyed it on the whole.

i hope he tours one more time.....
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-06-08 6:46 AM
:happy: yeah, he kinda riffs. it's okay. but an editor should have cut back on some of that. i'm enjoying it overall. i've always loved his music but i never followed what went on in his personal life. i knew general things like that he came from a working class background but the more specific stuff is interesting and so connected to his songs. i came from a similar background, so it is interesting reading about his take on all that as well.

i only saw him once in the early 80's. would love to see him again.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-06-07 6:44 AM
Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This was cheap or free (can't remember) for the Kindle so I picked it up. Pretty easy and fast read about a distant future and life on Mars, however it has quickly turned into a Hunger Games knockoff. I'll still finish and will probably finish the trilogy but hoping it changes gears a bit.
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-06-19 8:41 AM
Finished book 1 and 2 and now onto book 3. I feel like this can sum things up:

Oh good, our heroes have accomplished something big and are going to be rewar...OH NO IT'S A TRAP NO ONE SAW COMING

On no, our heroes have gotten themselves into a mess that they can't get ou...OH YEAH THEY HAD A SECRET BACKUP PLAN THAT SAVED THE DAY THAT NO ONE SAW COMING

Repeat
- By jennyO Date 2017-06-07 11:42 AM
Just finished Val McDermid's The Mermaids Singing, the first Wire in the Blood novel.  Pretty gruesome stuff, though I've heard this book is one of the worst for that.  Not sure I wanted to go on with the series, though, so started listening to Nick Stone's The Verdict.  Pretty good so far.  Oh, and one of these days I will finally finish Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass.  I'm getting close, but it's kind of a chore.
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-10 12:16 PM
FAA-H-8083-30.  Catchy title, huh? :meh: It's the Aviation Maintenance Technician's General Handbook.  The next section when summer school starts, will be Weight and Balance.  :happy:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-10 12:24 PM
Sounds erotic :grin:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-11 3:51 PM
I'd like to propel HER!
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-11 6:18 PM
Now THAT is Beardworthy .
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:41 AM
:highfive:
- By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-12 6:14 AM Edited 2017-06-12 6:24 AM
About 1/2 thru Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry . It's Ok, but I would much rather listen to him explain his ideas . There are no charts or graphs or other visuals  which would help clarify the concepts. 5/10

Next on my pile is Richard Russo's collection of short stories Trajectory. Stay tuned.
- - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-06-12 9:09 AM
Reading Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and listening to Truly Madly Guilty by Lianne Moriarity. Both good.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2017-06-15 12:01 PM
I think I've read or listened to all of LM's books.  They're fun.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:10 AM
Finished re-reading Mohawk, Russo's first novel.  It was my least favorite, but I liked it a lot more this time through.  I love how similar things show up in nearly all his novels, but with new twists.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-12 4:16 PM Edited 2017-06-12 4:19 PM
I believe  Straight Man was  his first  and I think his best . I used to give copies to my friends in academia , especially the administrators -- they didn't really care for it . :roll:-- too close to academic reality .

Just checked-- you are correct ; I owe ya :grin:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-18 6:57 PM
:hug:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-12 3:27 PM
I picked up The Southern Reach Trilogy and finished the first book, Annihilation, yesterday.  Enjoyably creepy and weird.  Enjoying the second one, Authority, as well, though it is quite different in style.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-18 10:04 AM
Finished Authority and am about halfway through the last book, Acceptance.  Who knows whether the ending will disappoint -- seems to be a hazard for this genre -- but I'd definitely recommend this series to folks like Rocker and TheBeard who like Steven King and/or creepy tales.
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-06-19 12:22 PM
In-the-middle-of-trilogy buddies!
- By IB [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:33 PM
Picked up some used books at a small bookstore this past weekend. Two days ago I started reading Nimbus by Alexander Jablokov. It's a not so distant future sci-fi type of a story with a bit of a mystery tone to it.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-19 9:48 AM
Two books were recommended to me this week:  Dubliners by James Joyce and Ashley's Ashes by ??? 

Any thoughts?

sorry if I butchered the spelling of either title or author
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-19 9:51 AM
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt?

It's not a feel good book, that's for sure.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-19 9:54 AM
Yes, that's the one.  Thanks for the heads-up.  The conversation that led to the mentioning of these books was centered around the response of the two authors to the church they grew up in.
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-24 7:09 AM
Started Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher.  I'm about half-way through already, and though it's humorous in spots, I'm finding that one Carrie Fisher book is plenty.  Loved Postcards...
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / June booklies