Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Early Wednesdaily!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 7:39 AM
Well, not that early, but earlier than we've been posting lately! What have you got today, on National Running Day! Did you celebrate with some miles today?

Bonus: What's the shortest/longest a running watch has lasted for you?
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 7:50 AM
I celebrated National Running Day with Weasley this morning, we went on a nice four mile run. Well, the weather was nice- dry, finally, and not as humid as it's been. Weasley was overjoyed to see his buddy Beau the goldendoodle, who came with us. But we hopped on the sidewalk for a section, and I tripped.:roll: The swelling on my hand from last week's fall isn't even healed yet.:laugh: Just a scrape or two, but I landed on the Apple Watch that Philip gave me for Christmas, and it looks like it's a goner, all smashed up.:sad: The cost of having it repaired is 50% of the cost of a new watch (I wouldn't get a new watch, but 50% is pretty steep), Philip wants to do it but I don't. I hate gadgets that don't hold up.:roll:

4 miles early this morning. Green smoothie, some pistachios. I'm making a roast chicken in the crockpot. Blather: I may pick up another dog client, although it involves more driving that I like. But the dog is so cool! It's a blue neapolitan mastiff! She's very petite for a mastiff, at 130 lbs.:laugh: I've always been fascinated by mastiffs, and would love to get to know one up close.

Bonus: The life of the Apple Watch was 5.5 months.:roll: I have an old Garmin 210 that is at least 6 or 7 years old.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-07 8:23 AM
Sorry about the fall and the busted watch. :sad:

You should stick to trails like me! :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:45 PM
Trails. I'm not that suicidal. :roll:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 8:38 AM
You can get a Garmin Forerunner 35 for the price it would take to fix the Apple Watch. It syncs to the iPhone.....I get texts, calls, news notifications, etc., on it. From all the reviews I've read, it is much more accurate for running needs.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:45 PM
I will check that out, thanks!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:56 PM
It has the optical HR too right? Think N got one.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:32 AM
Ugh, that sucks about the watch :cry:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:56 PM
Sorry about the fall and the watch. That sucks, Apple products are so pricey too for how fragile they can be.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 7:55 AM
I did not know that today was national running day! I slept in, I was pooped. I might get out for a few easy miles tonight if my softball game is cancelled, it's rained the past few days so the field might be underwater.

Yesterday I jumped right back into marathon training with a 20-min tempo run. With w/u and c/d it was 5 miles total. My legs were still tired from my race on Sunday, but I managed to hold pace pretty well, and it ended up being about 10 seconds too fast. I wore my new Garmin on my left wrist and my old one on my right wrist and was comparing paces and trying to figure out which one was more accurate. : pbbt: Then my old Garmin ran out of charge so I don't think it recorded the workout. I have more speedwork tomorrow so I will compare paces then.

Bonus: I am not sure how long my running watches last for me. I tend to replace them before they actually need replacing because I like new technology. :roll: Case in point my new Garmin that I mentioned above. I have Timex Ironman watches that I got years ago that still work, but they just sit around and collect dust. But they are functional!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-07 8:26 AM
2 garmins makes you either a running geek or a runner with a bad case of taper madness.

Tempo runs already... you are forging straight ahead.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 8:40 AM
Please "jump back in carefully".....we don't want anymore injuries!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:59 PM
I am definitely being careful! :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:02 PM
Hopefully once you get the old garmin charged, you'll be able to find the data up to the point of the battery's demise.  This is one of the few places where you could admit to wearing two garmins and not be laughed at (at least not too much :roll:)

Yeah, proceed with caution.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:22 PM
You sound like Philip, he has to have the latest technology with anything Apple.:laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:54 PM
Yeah, the technology thing is highly tempting, but then I lost a 500 dollar garmin on a bike ride and after that have been very cautious. :cry: I am lusting after a 535 now.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:57 PM
:laugh: You and N! I was laughing at him for wearing two watches when he ran for the same reason. he has the 235 (I think) and his old one. :roll::laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-07 8:21 AM
I have nothing yet today and in fact 0.0 for the week so far. It feels weird, this not running thing but my creaky knee needed a break. We'll see how it does tonight as the plan is for 5-7 miles on the easy side of the lake. I did not know this was national running day. Good thing I planned to run today.

Food: Oatmeal with usual topping of apple, raisins, turbinado sugar. Plus a sausage egg mcmuffin later. 2 breakfasts so far today.

Blather: So I decided to schedule an appointment with the orthopod who did my meniscus repair back in 2011. I have sort of chronic knee niggliness this year and would like to know what's going on if possible. Plus my deductible and copays are nearly met for the year so it's a good time for MRI/review. Anyway, my appointment is next week, 5 days before my scheduled 100 mile race. I am trying to figure out how not to sound too stupid when I explain my knee niggles to the doc, and the fact that I am planning a 100 mile race in just a few days.

Bonus: Not sure on the age of my current Timex Ironman watch. The last one made it 6 or 7 years at least. The strap gave out before the watch. The current one is a similar age I suppose. I had to replace the battery once but that's been it. Takes a licking an keeps on ticking! My first garmin lasted about 5 years until I accidentally submerged it in a creek during a trail race/run. It was dead after that.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 8:42 AM
Sadly, my family is also getting close to meeting our deductible amount for the year.....and it ain't a low number!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:31 AM
Hope the rest does the knee good, and if not, at least it sounds like you'll have some answers soon.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:59 PM
I am trying to figure out how not to sound too stupid when I explain my knee niggles to the doc, and the fact that I am planning a 100 mile race in just a few days
:laugh::laugh: Good luck with that!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:04 PM
two breakfasts sounds just right :wink:

I am trying to figure out how not to sound too stupid when I explain my knee niggles to the doc, and the fact that I am planning a 100 mile race in just a few days.  Good luck with that :roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-07 2:45 PM
Your orthopod schedule.....in early summer 2006 when I noticed a loose lump on the outside of my bad knee I had an entry in the NYC Marathon.  So, I waited until a week after the marathon to start the doc appt. process.  I got the appt with my primary pretty quickly, X Ray the same day, orthopod apt the following day, arthoscope ~Dec. 10.  The orthopod was amazed I ran the marathon with the debris I knew about on the outside of my knee and a smaller bit of it I didn't know about under my kneecap. 
At my follow up visit 2 weeks after the scoping he showed me the pictures (this is the knee I'd ruptured the ACL 30 years earlier) and told me "No more Broad Streets or half marathons!"  ...I only ran 3 marathons after that.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:25 PM
You should videotape your doctor's appointment so you can catch him rolling his eyes when you tell him you're running the 100.: pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 6:27 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:59 PM
Sorry about the knee niggle, hopefully some rest helps it. Hopefully orthos are used to stupid runners/triathletes etc and won't be too surprised.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 8:52 AM
I did an easy 4 with a couple of the blondes this morning and will go to boxing class tonight. On Monday, I lifted  for the first time in over a month and man-o-man, I could really feel it this morning!:cry:

Blather: blazerboy has his "interview" for his summer internship at a local film company this afternoon. (It isn't really an interview, they just want to determine if he is one of those teenage assholes.) Since it is in south Dallas.....a very onerous, multiple freeway drive at a location with parking issues......he is taking the train down. Mass transit is not broadly used here and I don't know if he has ever taken the train, so he thinks he is hot shit going to that part of town by himself. The neighborhood he is walking through is a bit dicey, but he has to leave our safe bubble sometime!

Bonus: I had an 18 month old Garmin 215? which died after a week of wearing it in torrential rain. That really pissed me off. My first 305 lasted 5-6 years and still works. But like other people, I didn't feel the need to wear that ginormous thing in my wrist.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-07 9:41 AM
Is blazer boy's interview in the design district?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 10:10 AM
No, his interview and the company are located on South Lamar.....near Dallas PD HQ. He can take the train from Plano to right behind the police HQ and then just has a few block walk. It is actually an interesting area which is gentrifying, but he still needs to be alert.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-07 10:23 AM
ok, i know exactly where that is. still pretty close to me. He should be fine during the day. Hope he gets it!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:29 AM
I went to college in a pretty dicey area of a city and never felt unsafe during the day. He'll be good! Hope he gets the gig :cool:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:29 AM
Sounds like fun for blazerboy.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:28 PM
Good luck to BB!:hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-07 9:20 AM
We celebrated National Running Day by adding onto our planned 10 mile run.

We have 2 basic loops that we do for our mid-week runs so today was the loop that goes out by the small airport. We got to the one park where we always stop for water and one of the guys wanted to run the loop around the church that adds about a mile. I thought that was more than we needed for our 10 but since it was a better than normal morning (lower humidity) we went ahead and did that. We normally have to add a little bit noon eastern we get back color to the Y but actually cut that part short and still ended up with 10.5.

Bonus: My watches have lasted a long time. I had a Garmin 405 that went bad after about 5 years and I paid $75 for a replacement. It was still working fine when I upgraded to the 220 a few years ago. I am trying to fight the temptation to upgrade to one that supports applications as there are some pretty cool ones available.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:29 PM
Lower humidity is a great reason to run more! It's been kind of sucky here, but this morning was so nice I wish I ran more.:laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:59 PM
Yeah, the new garmins are very tempting.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:05 AM
5.5 miles for me this morning. Track workout yesterday (4 x 800) so today was at an easier pace.

My favorite National Running Day story is mine from 8 years ago, when I jumped a fence and broke into a construction site to run some intervals on the about-to-be-demolished track (only to be chased off by an irate construction foreman.

Bonus: I've had a few crappy ones that have only listed a year or so. My current one is going on 2 years and going strong.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:33 AM
Did you count the faster running from the chase as an extra interval? :wtf::mischief:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:44 AM
I had run one 400m repeat and was in the midst of my 2nd one. If I remember correctly, I got through about 250m and then kept going down the straightaway to the fence. I quickly climbed over the fence and then slowed down. I finished out the workout doing "street intervals" where I estimated the distance based on time. The entire rest of my run I kept looking over my shoulder half-expecting to be arrested by the local police.
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-07 12:15 PM
That's hilarious. And some hard core speedwork.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:00 PM
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 5:03 PM
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:39 PM
Nice workout!

Please tell me you could outrun the construction guy.:laugh:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:37 PM
The construction guy was driving towards me in a car. No fair. Fortunately he was driving across a field so he couldn't go very fast, and I had enough time to reach the fence before he was near me.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:28 AM
National Running Day, eh? I will celebrate with a return to running this week after unplanned days off Monday and Tuesday. Work has been really time-consuming lately, which is fine. I've been using my morning and commuting time to catch up so I don't miss out on family stuff. Plus, it's been shit weather, so that helps : pbbt: But I'm jonesing to get out today. It was cool and crisp this morning and looks nice out there, so I will run/walk commute home.

Blather/WTF: I made pasta with garlic and oil last night with sauteed cherry tomatoes and spinach with parm. It was super easy, delicious, and L gobbled it up - wins all around. Anyway, I was looking forward to having leftovers for lunch today when I realize that my husband, who cleaned up the kitchen while I did the bedtime stuff, stuck the bowl of remaining pasta in the fridge uncovered, so it was basically a dried out, crusty ball this morning.

Bonus: For me, Garmins tend to conk out after 2.5 years or so. I used to think it was because I was a heavy sweater, but aren't we all? :wtf:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:54 PM
:cry: on the pasta :mutmad:  I think this is a ploy to get you to say "I'll just clean up the kitchen myself!!"  Don't fall for it :mischief:

My daughter has been complaining about the weather on the East Coast.  I have invited her come and visit her parents and warm up :cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-07 2:50 PM
Not that it's "warm" here in NJ but our son just drove from here to MA for a job until Friday.  Likely a bit colder up there!  Our daughter & S-I-L leave Friday for his cousin's wedding over the weekend in VT...not gonna be warmer there either!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-08 6:43 AM
It's going to be 95 on Monday :cry: 

Can't we just have a nice, seasonable high of 82?!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-08 6:56 AM
Can't we just have a nice, seasonable high of 82?!    Ha, ha, ha!  We're not far enough north for that to be a realistic expectation.  At least it will be warm enough on Monday so I won't need a jacket & will be able to wear shorts when I leave the house for class at 5:20am!  ...and almost the 1 or 2 weeks of the year when sunglasses can be necessary at that time of day!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 3:55 PM
Ha, at least your husband put it *in* the fridge. That beats Philip's attempt to "clean up" after dinner.:laugh:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-08 6:45 AM
True. Fortunately, he also saved the pasta cooking water that I left out (also in the fridge, uncovered), so I was able to salvage it.

It's crazy because he is really insane about being organized (lining things up into rows, no clutter, etc.), but when it comes down to common sense stuff, he is a complete moron.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 5:07 PM
Ugh sorry about the pasta.

Hope you had  a good run.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:28 AM
No run, was a swim day planned, will go after work.

Don't have much, other than not being happy at my new job :| I know there is an adjustment stage, but at almost two months I am  sure it isn't a good fit. I have not added it to Linked in yet. I let the location influence me too much (and I'm home for lunch so that is nice). It's a large bank, everything is so over engineered and they've managed to convince themselves it's necessary, but it makes it completely error prone and in need of masses of people to maintain. People have been there for years and years and don't know any different. I'd read their efficiency ratio was low and now I see why. I am hoping given the rest of my resume is solid will make up for trying to jump ship on this one after two months. :roll:

Bonus: I've had a 305 that lasted 4 years and my 910Xt is now going on four years. I also had a refurb 305 that I had for a year I think, I passed it on to someone else.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-07 11:36 AM
Crap. I'm sorry about the job. I didn't realize it was that bad. I don't think one two-month blip will hurt you, and it sounds like you have good logic behind starting to look so early.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:52 PM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but I completely understand why you were seduced by the short commute.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:04 PM
Ugh, sorry to hear about the job! I don't think the 2-month thing will hurt you since you had longevity at your previous employers.

Are you training fora  goal race?
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:36 PM
I am signed up for St. George. I've finally got out of my fatigue fog so hopefully some better training is around the corner.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:21 PM
I don't know what you are dealing with specifically, but, so much of the banking industry is so overly and redundantly regulated, I think the government requires me to report how many squares of toilet paper I use each day. Sorry it isn't working out.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:35 PM
Yeah and that I went in expecting. This is just more how the engineering aspects are handled. We got in a new guy from another bank and he confirmed this craziness is unique to these guys.  :cry::laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-07 1:35 PM
you'll be snapped up quickly given your previous employment record. I'm sorry it's not working out. :sad:

i'm loathe to give up my 305 even though it looks like a dinosaur on my wrist.  :laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:00 PM
:sad: Sorry about the job. If you want me to put you in touch with Philip, I'd be happy to- he went through the same thing after working in IT at several big banks on Wall Street for years. He finally moved to a tiny financial firm in N, couldn't be happier.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:41 PM
Yeah, finance is a different world.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:09 PM
No running for me :roll:  I went in this morning to my usual 6am cycling class & took the class as my boss used the opportunity to audition an instructor & asked me to be there with her (my boss) and provide feedback.  About half of my "regulars" were in class on Monday when the auditionee attended and I told everyone what would be going on this morning.  The rest of the folks this morning were all "...Ed, :wtf: is going on?" :laugh:  The instructor has been teaching cycle for about 12 years, just not in our facility and she's definitely a "keeper".

Since we didn't have a daily yesterday...I was still stoked from the Tri on Sunday that I hit the pool (in our gym with the newly refurbished deck) yesterday and did 1400 meters, a post shoulder injury distance high!  Still not where I was at this time last year and I have more than 365 days but I really want to do the Olympic distance (1 mile swim) in this Tri next year!  There *may* also be a target Tri (Aquabike category) in Sept at the Half IM distance (1.2 mi swim, 56 mile bike)...we'll see.

Bonus:  My running  watches have always been Timex Ironman & typically last long enough that I forget just how old they are.  I also use them as my "everyday" watch and I got my current one as a Christmas present from DW last Dec.  My previous one is still operational but had lost a section of the rim so I figured it was beginning to fall apart.  I still use it while doing yard work and wore it during the Tri last Sunday, figuring I would spare the newer one from the salt water.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:49 PM
Great news about your shoulder !! :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-07 1:07 PM
Nice job on the swim distance! :cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-07 1:32 PM
good news about your shoulder! but don't go crazy. : pbbt:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:45 PM
Great news on the shoulder. :D
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:55 PM
Very cool that your shoulder is back to 100%! Now, on to the Olympic trials distance!:cool:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-07 5:10 PM
Woah, slow down!  I didn't say it's 100% yet...baby steps!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-08 2:51 PM
Well, it's close enough.:roll:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-07 12:48 PM
Thanks for starting the daily, Spinner.  It's a good sign your hand is letting you use the keyboard, but sorry about the fall and the watch :cry:  I'll have to page back and see what happened to your hand. 

Early is right.  This is the time of year when I have to be out the door shortly after 6 or pay dearly in discomfort.  I'm not acclimated to rising early yet, so it's been hard.  8.25 miles. 

National Running Day is a more complicated issue than it should be for me :roll:  I have given my notice at the store, and tomorrow will be my last day.  It's not big news, but I am kind of pulling back from my relationship with the store, so I don't really want to go and have to be social with a bunch of people I (hopefully) won't have to deal with much longer.  I know Luci would appreciate it if I came, but I don't think I will, and I hope she will forgive me. 

Bonus:  knock wood, my watches have served me very faithfully, so I don't remember any one lasting much longer or shorter than another.  Currently, I have a Garmin 235 with the bluetooth feature that I usually find annoying as it tells me when texts, messages, news alerts, etc come in.  I was recently changing clothes after a LR, set my phone down in the park bathroom and left it there when I walked out to go back to the car.  Fortunately the Garmin buzzed just outside the bathroom door and told me the phone was disconnected so I could retrieve it.  Guess I have to take back some of the bad thoughts had I about what a PITA the bluetooth notifications have been.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-07 1:30 PM
the watch was telling you "don't leave me!" :laugh:

it sounds like you are done and that is ok!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:44 PM
That is pretty neat about the reminder from Garmin. :grin:

I totally get why you would not want to have to be social if you are moving on. Are you doing any fun traveling?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 5:02 PM
I hear you on the early wake-up call- I got up at 4:50 this morning to meet a friend for a run with the dogs, and by 12:30 I was a zombie.:blush:

An alert that told me that I left my phone somewhere would be so awesome!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-07 1:26 PM
Wednesdays are always a rest day for me so no planned run as usual. I did go to the pool and pool run with my mom though. It counts for me!  :grin: 3.5 miles. : pbbt:

5 years. :wtf: I've had a garmin foreunner 305 since 2007. after about 5 years, my previous one got knocked about too much and the buttons stopped working. I bought another one off of a friend for $100 5 years ago and it's been fine. I hope it doesn't die anytime soon!  DH has a garmin fenix 2 which he hates. i really do like my apple watch but although i do use it when running, it won't be a primary running watch.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-07 4:41 PM
305 was  a pretty rock solid watch. :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-07 5:09 PM
The Apple Watch is ok for long training runs, but for races or speedwork, when time matters, it just doesn't work for me to have to slide the screen to stop or start, and sometime times I have to tap the screen a few times before it slides... PITA. I do love how it syncs with texts, that is cool.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Early Wednesdaily!