Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursdailies Are Here
- - By judyruns Date 2017-06-08 6:24 AM
Post. :happy:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-08 6:24 AM
Wednesday was a long run, 105 minutes, plus 3X on the Evil Hill. Also, I did hill repeats out on the hilly part of the trail. I decided to make it a long run since it was Global Running Day.
Today I think I’ll do a light easy run since yesterday was an unplanned long one.
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:27 AM
105 is a long run. Probably 10 miles?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-08 3:15 PM
No, more like half that...possibly 5.5 miler. I am so sllllloooooowwwww!   :grin:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:37 AM
That's a great workout! You deserve an easy run.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 8:58 AM
Easy today sounds like a good idea after that workout - hill repeats plus distance is a lot!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 6:51 AM
I did 6 killer hill miles on Tuesday.

Went to a Global Running Day thing last night at TRWS. I had a good time and got to see some folks I hadn't seen in awhile.

I am having some frustration with the Sunday run and wonder if I'm being childish. The Wednesday night run gets lots of cool night events with sponsors and we have a large Saturday run in our town (not put on by the store which means it costs them nothing). Our run is smaller, but very consistent. I put a lot of work into planning and executing the runs. I also promote the heck out of it on social media with fun pictures and clever captions. This probably benefits the store as much as the run  since it's it's posted by me on group pages. ((They don't have to pay for this advertising like they would if they posted it). Anytime I have wanted to do anything for our running group, I have to beg and grovel. A part of me wonders if we really need two runs on the weekend and the store would be fine if they didn't have to pay someone to do this. The Saturday group has no interest in combining with the store run and I know the store proposed this at one time. Anyway, thinking of writing an email to the owner with my idea for an upcoming event and mentioning if they want the Sunday run to grow, they need to go back to promoting and supporting it. :meh: Signed taken for granted in Lee's Summit
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:41 AM
I don't know why the store wouldn't encourage all runs.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 9:02 AM
Seems to me if the store wants the Sunday run to be associated with them, they need to step up and support it. Do you think they're just taking you for granted or do they not really want the hassle of the run at all?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:37 AM
I think taking it for granted and because any running benefits them, but the group runs are good for promoting the "local" aspect of the store. They are not open when we run so no direct sales occur.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:31 AM
I agree, if they want it to grow, they need to support it. No plant is going to thrive if it's neglected and not watered, unless it's a weed in which case it grows in ways you don't want it to.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-08 8:24 PM
Part of me thinks you are getting taken for granted and part of me is thinking you are enjoying the runs and organizing them.  What in particular do you want from the store?  I see that these other runs are sponsored by the store, but maybe because they are not open, they are not holding a run at their store on Sundays.  Whoever organized the runs are holding them at the store, but you could hold them anywhere you want, right?  It doesn't have to be associated with the store.  How did the runs come to be organized on Sunday?  Is it a bunch of people from Saturday's ride that want to run together Sunday as well?  Is someone being paid to organize runs, but isn't getting much other support?  I guess I'm confused.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-09 7:39 PM
The Wednesday group is run by the store. The Saturday group is not sponsored by the store, but the Sunday group is run by the store and is a spinoff of the Saturday group. Basically the store agreed to have their weekend run on Sunday so as not to compete with the existing Saturday run and people could have an extra group run. I enjoy organizing planning and running the runs, but would like more sponsored or special events for my run time. For instance last summer Brooks came to the store and did a "Ghost" buster run to promote their shoes. Those events are fun and reach new people.

I can have the run at different location, but it's challenging to find interesting places to run with a restaurant open on a Sunday

I am going to propose an idea for a special run and ask for a sponsor.

I do get paid.:happy:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-06-08 7:04 AM Edited 2017-06-08 7:08 AM
uick check in.

Earlier this week we had “All Hazards Training” which essentially was active shooter training.  The instructors were very good and thorough, and I appreciated it.  We did several real simulations where they shot at us with real looking and sounding guns while we learned to hide and fight back.  Even though you know it’s not real, the adrenaline/panic rush was interesting.  I also got to know the city manager’s bathroom very well. : pbbt: We’ve known all along how awful our building is from a security standpoint, but we’ve been looking in our office and talking about what we could do if something were to happen.  I always thought I’d have to break the glass to my window to get out, but I actually opened it all of the way and I could easily get through – and my small filing cabinet in front is a perfect stepstool.  My ledge is a good 4’ wide and then it’s a 7-10’ drop to a grass area.  What was a bit much, and I’m a bit surprised nobody told the crew in advance, was the videos they showed.  Very powerful stuff – stuff that I’m not good with… but the one where we had to count and time gunshots was a cell video outside the building at VA Tech.  Umm…  Lots of us have very personal connections to that one.  All my classes were in that bldg.  One of my teachers was killed.  Two in my office were actually there.  My underling was in the building next door.  I did not need to see actual footage of that.

I’ve been slowly working through all of my adulting stuff.  It seems that every day I go home proud of all I’ve crossed off only to find a whole new list for the next day. :cry:  Slowly, I think the list is getting shorter.  I did get us all to the eye doctor - so we are all updated and on the same schedule.  I’m now sporting the one contact.  I’ve read it takes 2-4 weeks to adjust, so I’m giving it time.  Mostly, I don’t mind.  With my goopy eyes, half the time I can’t see at all anyway.  What else is new?  And this will cut down on the number of contacts by half.  DH has been doing it for a few years.  I know he hated it the first few times he tried, but now he says it’s the best option – though not awesome, as he warns me.

Jacob is officially a driver, as of yesterday.  Gulp.  Added him to our insurance yesterday. Double gulp.  He is going to 4H camp next week (teen counselor).  I know he’ll have fun.  They have him teaching advanced swimming.  That should be a good fit.  He tried out for soccer and immediately his knee started hurting again, so he’s been to the doctor and now to PT – the doctor is one BFF’s Dad.  The PT is his other BFF’s Dad.  Small towns. : pbbt:  Hopefully this will help.  I’d rather not go the MRI route if we don’t have to.  Steven is doing OK.  Had a big bummer last week.  You can count on one hand the number of internships available in our city, and most of those aren’t close to his interests.  But he applied for 2, and one of them made him do 4 interviews over 4 months.  At the 3rd one they told him he was the leading candidate if they didn’t decide to hire a full time person.  Guess what they did last week. :meh: He had applied to a few other places to be told that they don’t hire summer help.  Downside to a poor small town I guess.  He has an interview next week for a temp bank teller, but I’m not real hopeful at this point.  He did go an entrepreneur workshop and has been working on his store.  And he & Jacob are going to eBay a ton of stuff for DH’s friend.  DH is too close to his yearly limit before the IRS starts knocking.  And he will also volunteer tutor for the Adult Ed Center.  One of his scholarships requires community service hours, so it will be good to get them done before school starts (unlike last year). So I guess he’ll be busy enough.

And it also seems I jinxed our city.  My brother mentioned a shooting in his area a little while ago, and I had remarked that we seemed to have quieted down.  Ha.  The very next day a murder happened.  Since then, there’s been a recent string of them, mostly gang related they say.  A few days ago the cousin of the kids’ friends was killed.  I taught the older brother swimming (LOVED him) and the younger brother has played soccer with Jacob for years.  The mom works out at my gym in the morning.  She said her (female) cousin was not in the gang, but the guy she was seeing was.  Apparently, the car was shot all up full of holes.  That’s not typical for here.  Ugh.

Working out wise – not much to say.  I hate summer and hate saying it every day.  The more time I spend outside, the worse I feel.  Nothing new, right?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:14 AM
You have a lot going on. That training sounds intense and scary, I remember a movie we watched during fire safety week at school when I was young  and I was so scared for a long time after that. Lots of good things to think about but a bit overwhelming at the time.

I wear one contact. Apparently I was ahead of my time. I just started soing it because it worked and later my eye doctor said it was really not that unusual for people to go that route.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:42 AM
That's a lot of stuff happening. Congrats to Jacob! My fingers will be crossed for Steven.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 9:03 AM
Adulting really isn't as fun as we thought it would be when we were teenagers :meh: Lots going on for you - good luck with it all
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:39 AM
Wow. That training sounds extremely intense. I think you might want to have a word with them and let them know that the VA Tech footage was a bit too close for comfort. But it sounds as if you learned a lot. Was this "Run, Hide, Fight"? 7' to 10' is quite a drop but doable, especially for you since you are in shape and know how to jump. Your colleagues may not be as comfortable doing that, but it's better than getting shot.

Congratulations to Jacob, sympathy to your checking account. And sorry Steven has not found a summer job. DD was in the same boat.

Really sorry about the upswing in crime and the crummy weather.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-06-08 10:32 AM
It was not the run, hide, fight.  Apparently, they’ve been doing this for 10 years and studying it.  And after being taught run, hide, fight (in that order) and running large scale drills, people were always doing the wrong thing.  What they did was similar, but you’re supposed to assess where you are in relation to the threat and use the best tool in your toolbox.  Hiding is not recommended – or the traditional “try to hide under a desk.”  Barricading/locking doors is a good option (obviously in some cases), but you’re always to try to add layers to the barricade if there’s no way out and be prepared to fight if it fails.

For us, probably the window option is best in case of being trapped by a fire or partially collapsed building where we can’t get out.  (We discussed these threats too, but for maybe 20 min out of 4 hours.) Our doors are glass, albeit frosted.  Locking/barricading will only help but so much.  If a shooter is elsewhere in the building, we would have time to lock/barricade and get out the windows.  But I’m not sure how fast we could all do it.  Since it’s my window, I’ll volunteer to go first. : pbbt:  The window (2’ tall/4’ long/3.5’ off the floor) folds inward in one piece from top to bottom.  I thought it only tilted inward, but after trying, it will open easily to almost horizontal. We have 7 other identical windows, but mine is the easiest to access.  The others have more junk and crap in front of them.  But our office is FILLED with perfect objects to attack with.  At least that’s not a problem, except from ourselves. : pbbt:

I’m not jumping off the ledge.  The 4’ wide (deep) ledge is very suitable for laying down and hanging from.  I could probably touch the ground or be very close to it that way. :happy:

We also learned how to use rope to loop around an inside opening, unlockable door & ourselves to help keep it shut.  During one drill my group of 3 ladies had me be the rope holder.  I may have pulled so hard on it that I cut through the paint/plaster on the city council chamber wall. :blush:

And we got the intermediate training. He said their police/first responder training would leave some of us in a fetal position sucking our thumbs. (Me!) but that it was more intense than they would give teachers.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 11:22 AM
Sounds very useful. So you assess what the circumstances are and respond accordingly, rather than thinking "must. run. first." when running would be a bad option. Agreed that hiding under a desk and hoping the shooter won't look there is not a good idea -- neither is retreating into a bathroom stall and standing on the throne hoping they won't look in the cubicle unless you have absolutely no choice.

Fire and partially collapsed building are always possible, especially in earthquake or tornado country. Though for a tornado I'm guessing you want to go inwards and down rather than try to leave the building.

Will they put up a plaque on the chamber wall saying "PC Was Here"?
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-06-08 12:58 PM
Wow! That sounds intense! We have never had or discussed an armed intruder scenario at my facility, or even within the company (at least that I've heard about).

Interesting comment on teachers getting a less intense version of the training. Given the fact that schools are a highly likely target for these types of scenarios I would think it is everyone's best interest for them to get a more realistic, intense scenario. This is assuming that the teacher training is done with just the teachers, and not with students present. I can see how an intense scenario would not go over well with students in attendance.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2017-06-08 1:54 PM
He mentioned that a lot of teachers are newly minted young 22 year old women without much life experience, and get highly upset and that will do more harm than good.   I think they mostly present it differently to them.  But also (thinking to myself), teachers would need to have a different response than the general public.  The schools here do practice active intruder drills.  I *think* that mostly entails things like turning off the lights, locking doors – I’m not sure if they can cover their door windows.  I know DH has to get his whole class into his tiny store room.  They practice that just like fire/tornado drills.

And while he stressed that it is an unlikely event, people are not fond of government, especially now.  I won’t say it happens often, but we get *really mad* people in here on a regular enough basis to give one pause.  And we’ve had to call the police before.  That they are located downstairs does help.  That used to make me feel better, but people aren’t really fond of police anymore.   One statistic that floored me is that 70 people EACH MONTH in the US die as a result of violence in the workplace.  He said it won’t make national news unless more than 5 people are killed.  Actually, the Orlando incident happened while we were having our training.  That was especially sobering.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:35 AM
Good Morning! I did a 2 mile walk/run again. It is beautiful outside today. Perfect day. I think I will be off most of the summer, which might be nice if I planned for it financially.:cry:I'm sure it will work out. It also freaks me out to be basically off for most of it. I'm picking up some evaluations to do and have my after school kids, but it will be very light. I'm not use to being off for an extended period of time, so I will plan some projects though.
Parent - By Fry [us] Date 2017-06-08 8:51 AM
Yay for finally getting summer weather! (Sorry to hear about the financial stress.)
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:02 AM
I hope ypu get some consistent work for the summer.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:40 AM
Yay for a walk/run! Could you find some temp work in your field? Surely people are going on vacation and the kids need to continue their programs?
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:32 AM
I'm hoping too. I should be ok, but I always worry about money. It's one of my anxiety triggers. I should be excited to have time to quilt, sew, knit and learn how to refinish furniture.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 11:23 AM
I am always thinking about it too. It must be nice not to have to.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 8:55 AM
I didn't end up at the gym on Tuesday - my back was just a bit too painful for it to be fun. But last night I went to run club for 2 miles then to my personal training session. Still some pain in my lower back but I'm hopeful it's gradually improving. I should note it has absolutely nothing to do with running so there's no reason to stop unless it's simply too uncomfortable - exercise doesn't exacerbate the problem at all

Tonight is the running clinic - I think the talk is on picking the right shoe which isn't terribly helpful for Ms. Brooks-Adrenaline-since-2001 but it will be nice to meet the rest of the group. Last night I was the only clinic member to turn up although I ran with 2 of the clinic pace leaders who were also there. I think there's ~10 of us in the clinic so on the basis of having at least 3 leaders (the 2 from last night plus the 'real' leader) we should have a good ratio to ensure no-one runs alone :hug: This is what I like about this running room vs. the other one I tried.

Question: running with water. Something I haven't done recently due to weather/distance/TM/loops whatever. I think I'd prefer a hand held option as I hate anything flapping or moving (I don't wear a necklace for example) but what are recommendations?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:34 AM
I use a 16 plastic water bottle with a handle. $1.49 so I don't stress if it gets lost. I run, drink, stash and pick upon the way back if course is out and back or repeated loop.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:41 AM
Sorry about the back problem. 2 leaders and 1 clinic runner? Sounds promising.

I don't like hand helds much, hope someone has a suggestion for you.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:34 AM
I hope your back gets better. Camelbacks don't flop, but I get it. Can't help you though because I hate holding things.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 9:56 AM
I don't think I had enough time yesterday to post yesterday's workout. So here's a double:
Yesterday- 30 min swim. First workout after my event last weekend. Mostly just a shake out. I was really pleased to see how happy I was to be in the water, I was afraid I'd be burned out.  My swim buddy was there and she's getting SO much better at swimming! She's taking adult lessons. She asked me a bit about breaststroke kick and we talked it over.  Then she told me she'd done a 100 yard free with flip turns and she was REALLY proud. I told her I don't flip in that pool because it is so shallow, I"m afraid of hitting my head. She encouraged me to flip, so I did at the deeper end, the next three laps. The first two I was too far from the wall to push off :blush: the third I did it just fine! :cool: I'll have to try at the shallower end at some point, or maybe not, it is really shallow.: pbbt:

Today I got up and did yoga before leaving for work. I overslept 20 minutes, and still got in 30 min of yoga and got to work at the time I would if I'd gone to the gym. I don't know if it was my tightness from the swim this past weekend, or just how tight I am first thing in the morning, but the first class I started was way too hard for me this morning. I got 20 min in and couldn't keep going. So I found a gentler, more stretchy one that was 15 min long, and switched over to that.  Something to keep in mind if I'm rolling out of bed and onto the yoga mat!

Glad I did it, I feel calm this morning.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-08 2:11 PM
I took myself out for an hour ride. I took some pictures because it's just so pretty here. I also got stuck at a traffic light for 2 minutes because the light wouldn't turn for me and cross traffic was heavy and took that long for an opening. They have one of the pedestrian buttons but it's said so far back that it's pretty worthless to a cyclist :mutmad: Anyway, it was just nice to be outside, minus the hives I got yet again. I think this weekend since it's j's weekend to work that I will do half inside and half outside.

Dilemma, last night I asked J how much time he needs to switch schedules for my July race (he told me in winter to let him know closer to race). So last night he tells me he's not switching and that he ALREADY switched for the day before for his co-worker and that I should ask him Mom to come up. I said flat out that I was not comfortable with that because she can't physically do ANYTHING. He said it doesn't matter, just that she is here. That said we are leaving the kids alone now (have been for the last 2 weeks) but the race is both to far away and to long to leave them alone so having her here is a solution, but I am PISSED because it goes against the agreement we had and requires me to spend more time with her (she would have to come up the day before). So if I go with that (and I'll have to since I've paid for the race and as it stands it's my ONLY race before IMMD) should I go ahead and register for the local race in Aug with the same scenario? I just so love that J is reneging on his deal with me :mutmad: sigh.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-08 5:46 PM
USDO today. Turns out that when you haven't been using your hamstrings much for several months, they get really irritated when you start using them again. Hard PT session on Tuesday that included jumping, skipping, running up and down stairs; followed by a hard swim workout yesterday. Hamstrings are sore and barely moving today. Worst is the spot where the muscles attach to the bone just below the hip/pelvis. Knee itself feels fine, but my left leg needs some TLC until the pain dies down.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 9:42 AM
3.6 this morning, uneventful. RN texted to say she might get up, but didn't answer a text this morning so I went solo.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursdailies Are Here