Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Scratchy Thursday (NRR)
- - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 10:17 AM
Got the back itchies. Don't mind me if I act like a bear and scratch my back on a door frame today! : pbbt:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 10:19 AM
I'm having one of those "better to be happy than right" weeks in my marriage. It can be so hard. But I guess he's worth it. :hug:

My college roommate is coming to Seattle with her DH and DD at the end of the month. SO loooking forward to seeing them. I don't think I've seen her since my wedding, 6 years ago. And I last saw her DD when she was an infant!
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:36 AM
Is that the friend we met in Pittsburgh way back when? Sounds like fun.

I have those days too. Being right is overrated, in my book. :wink:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 10:45 AM
The Pittsburgh friend is a grad school one.  This is undergrad. We lived together for three years. Her DH was my boyfriend Sophomore year.  I "picked him up" on the intranet in 1992!!(early adopter here!)
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 1:54 PM
Sometimes that's the best move.

How old is your roommate's DD?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 2:53 PM
12:blush:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-08 2:02 PM
Oh, yes, Happy is better than Right any day of the week!  :hug:

Fun! :grin:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:39 AM
Hanging out in the shade, trying to get a little bit of work done. Today I'm chaperoning DS' 7th grade trip to a local amusement park. Pretty easy gig as they are roaming about the park in their "squad" of 4 as they refer to it. I rode the big rollercoaster here (Shivering Timbers, in case there are any MI peeps left on the forum) just to get out of my comfort zone, now I have to assemble a ton of data for tomorrow. I sincerely wish that there was an Excel Fairy who could teach me some advanced skills. I muddle through but I know there are easier ways to do some of this stuff. Probably should make the time to do an online tutorial at some point.

Hope everyone's having a great day. :hug:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 10:40 AM
Google is your friend with Excel - I'm far from an expert but I use a lot of formulae and have learned most of them from google
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:59 AM
vlookup solves most excel problems : pbbt:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 10:45 AM
Sounds like fun, getting to do some work outside and hang with the kids when needed!
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 10:54 AM
I keep typing and deleting. I have a friend who there has been conflict with, although if I have done or said anything it is never meant to be hurtful. She got mad at me because I wanted to reschedule a dinner to a close destination a few months back. I get tired. She got annoyed that me and another friend discussed it first. This friend planned the dinner and it was going to be the same restaurants but just closer. She has a very strong personality and snapped at me on the phone. I told her she was being mean because she got nasty. Things have cooled off, but we continued talking. She and my friends planned a birthday dinner this coming Monday. I have talked to her almost daily, but now she didn't acknowledge me on my birthday. No text, fb post, call, nothing. I called her that day but she texted she was in a meeting. She reminded my other friend not to forget my birthday. When A asked if said friend talked to me, she said her text didn't go through and she couldn't call me at night because of my hubby. I have not heard from her since Monday. I find it hurtful and not sure what to do with the relationship. This friend goes off the grid from time to time and I think may have some issues. I don't know if I should pretend everything is ok, or end things.

DH gives me enough stress without this added drama.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 11:07 AM
Is she someone you could have an explicit "hey, what's going on" conversation with? Couch it in concern for her, value of your friendship, and acknowledgement that things have been tense or confusing between you two recently?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 11:26 AM
No. She doesn't like talking feelings. I have tried. She usually disappears and then pretends everything is fine. She is very controlling in that she plans everything. She goes off grid with others too and then makes up excuses. I think she has a drinking problem, but not sure.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-08 11:32 AM
Sounds like a lot of bullshit, to be honest. I would vote for a middle ground-don't pretend that everything is ok, just back off on the frequency/intensity of communication for a while. This is her shit, not yours, you don't need to take it on and wear it/drag it around. : pbbt:  I'm guessing that she's someone that you do care about because otherwise this wouldn't bother you. When I deal with folks like this, my primary goal is to reduce the intensity of the communication first by whatever means necessary, then go from there. My two cents.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 5:17 PM
Thanks!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-08 11:19 AM
brought in the possible new hire yesterday for a tour.  Introduced him to the department manager & gee, what an awkward introduction that was. 

Me: "Hi manager, this is so-and-so, the colleague I mentioned was interested in the opening"  
Manager:  "Hi"
NewGuy: "Hi, nice to meet you.  I'm currently working for xyz widget maker doing similar work to your company's products"
Manager:  "Ok"
<pause>
NewGuy: "We work with (thing one, thing two, thing three), and I understand you work with these things, too"
Manager: "Yes"
<long pause>
Me: "Um, OK, I'll take NewGuy to see the lab and the manufacturing floor."
Manager: "Ok"

I get that an introvert doesn't enjoy talking to people, but it's hard to hire someone if you're not willing to even try.  :meh:  <sigh>  <people leave managers, not companies>
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-08 12:19 PM
As an introvert, I think that that is not just introverted, but rude.  :mutmad:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-08 2:53 PM
agree, and introverts are usually more comfortable talking about things they know. Like the job a potential subordinate is applying for!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-08 2:04 PM
What tritri said. That was just rude.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-08 2:31 PM
Agreed with the others - rude, and a failure of his own responsibility. I am an extreme introvert, and that combined with my tendency to block/lock out my reactions has often led me to avoid people and have difficulty with 'small talk' or interview-like things. But as a manager, he would seem to have an obligation to meet with prospective candidates and assess them for the job. To offer only one-word responses is insufficient to do that. Plus, it suggests a disinterest - rude in this setting with a new person.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-08 3:32 PM
Unless manager was deliberately testing new guy, that seems very rude. Couldn't he come up with at least one open ended question so NewGuy could respond?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-08 4:02 PM
So the manager knew the guy was coming? Only I have to admit that sounds like me the other day when someone was brought in for an introduction when I was 30sec away from a meeting I was hosting and I had no idea who he was, why he was here, or why I needed to be introduced to him
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-08 5:41 PM
Heading to Virginia tomorrow for Ratbag's HS graduation. Dreading it. Hating every part of this farce. Can't wait for it to be over. This should have been a wonderful event; now it's just sad. :meh:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-08 5:54 PM
:hug:I'm sorry. Hopefully the time will go quickly. I hope you are not going by yourself.
Parent - By Bunny Date 2017-06-08 7:35 PM
:cry: I'm sorry. If you need someone to talk my VA number is still my only number. I'll send it to you on Facebook so you have it. I'm also good for snark filled texts and bunny pictures, whatever you need. :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-08 8:05 PM
:sad::hug:  I'm sorry.  I hope you have support with you.  It is horrible that he is being so mean to you and ruining this event.  I hope he comes around sooner rather than later. Sending you strength.  And you have my number; feel free to call.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:58 AM
Hang in there. Yes it's sad, but it is still an achievement on his part and on both yours and XDHs. It will be over shortly.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-09 9:21 AM
Sending you hugs. Hang on.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Scratchy Thursday (NRR)