Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Summery FRIDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 7:31 AM Edited 2017-06-09 7:41 AM
The grayness is gone and the heat is on it's way up here. We are sort of easing into it today with a proper summer day, not too hot or humid, but that will be changing. Ok, enough weather rambles from the NE. Post your run/workout/lack thereof, and the usual stuff.

Bonus: Green Grass and High Tides Forever!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 7:41 AM
I did some running the past few evenings which was really weird after 2 straight days off Monday/Tuesday. I was sort of a wreck when the week started, as I had such an awful run (actually mostly a hike last Sunday) that I doubted my ability to even start my race next week. Now though after a couple more regular runs, regular meaning creaky, slow, and steady, but sort of normal for this cycle, I've accepted my fate to try the 100 next week. It's so different, my outlook this year from last. Last year was the excitement of running the 100 mile distance again and going for a fast time. This year, it's just getting through it, punching my Western States Qualifier, so that I get double or triple the odds for next years lottery... and a chance to run 100 miles again. Totally stupid. :laugh:

Workout: No run today. I have 4 short runs planned before next weekend's race and today is not one of those days. I will go to some strength and stretching at the planet of fitness, but that's it.

Blather: Local ultra this weekend at Coventry Woods (3/6 hour races along with 5k/10k). No I am not running any of these, but will head over there to volunteer as needed, working the loop aid station or something.

Bonus: No kidding on the green grass forever. My mowing frequency is every 3 days right now. Not so sure about the high tides. Seems they would not be a good thing. Also my senior class song.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:52 AM
You know your outlook this year is more like the usual taper madness sandbagging, right?:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:11 AM
My thoughts exactly :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 12:09 PM
I wish it was taper madness. That typically means that I am in shape, primed, and ready to go. Not so this year. I don't even have any clever post/thread ideas. :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:55 PM
:roll:: pbbt:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:15 AM
Are you seriously mowing every 3 days?! :shocker!: We do it once a week, and I think our yard still looks ok. At least, none of our neighbors have complained :roll:

Sorry about the crappy runs, but going into a 100 mile race feeling like crap and actually finishing might be a nice confidence booster in itself. Maybe?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-09 10:19 AM
My guess is that he's serious because we live ~1 mile (as the crow flies) are we are doing the same thing. It's absurd. Mostly it will be fine and then overnight it grows like 3 inches and the dogs won't go on it anymore :laugh::cry:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 12:08 PM
Yes, I could have mowed last night which would have meant 2 days. I always use the mulch mower setting so that means I need to mow more frequently. Given the size of my yard bagging is not an option. Oh well... walking miles and first world problems.

The only boost I am looking for from this race is finishing and then taking a break!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 1:49 PM
Ah... We bag, and we can drop off to our township, who will compost for us.

DH actually loves mowing. It just takes a crapload of time for us.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:50 AM
It's looking beautiful out, not too warm here yet.:happy: The elementary school two doors down the street has field day today, the kids are having a blast in the sunshine.

6.2 easy miles this morning, and upper body weights. Going to walk dogs soon. Honey Stinger waffle pre-run, green smoothie and coffee for breakfast, lunch is tbd, but dinner will probably be at the really good Chinese restaurant by the mall (as opposed to the various crappy fast food type ones near by:laugh:). I'm looking forward to that. I saw a really cool documentary last night on Netflix called Queen of Versailles, about an extremely wealthy couple and their reaction to the financial crisis that started in '08. What a bunch of asshats.

Bonus: Yes, seems the grass grows three feet every damned week!:meh:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:31 AM
I love that documentary. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Asshats, for sure.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:45 PM
It was really interesting! Isabella told us about it, because she's watching it in her high school financial literacy class.:cool:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:10 AM
Summer is definitely on its way! :grin:

Last night I did my 8x400s.  I hit my paces +/-3 seconds. This morning I did a super easy 4 miles followed by a long dog walk. 

Summer Friday today! Going shopping and running errands and then I have a long list of things that do around the house. Fiancé is out of town this weekend so I am getting some much needed me time. Tomorrow I am doing a half mile open water swim and Sunday I'm doing a 5k, both are races but I won't be racing all out for either one. I am shooting for a 5k PR next weekend in my first race with a local running club.

Bonus: ?? Roll Tide? : pbbt:
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:16 AM
That sounds like an amazing weekend. Enjoy it.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 12:10 PM
Roll tide. :meh: :cry:

Wow, you are recovering well with the speed work and races already.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:29 AM
So, our weather is similar to XT's...77 degrees at noon, increasingly warmer for the weekend and then 90s into late next week :cry:

I think today is becoming a day off.  I thought about swimming but this morning I saw a social media post (there's a "Tri856" page on FB...856 being the local area code) and it seems a bunch of folks are planning a group brick workout tomorrow morning; swim at the lake & move to a school parking lot (roads at the lake are all sandy dirt & not good for road bikes) and do 5 mile bike/2 mile run repeats.  I should be able to hook up with some folks on the bike portions and/or find others skipping the runs.  So with that influence, likely no workout for me today.

I spent much of this morning checking my equipment for our running club's race series which begins on Tuesday.  I also inventoried our awards (we give out pint glasses) and determined how many more we need to order for this year.  Once I did that I sent an email to the company we've used for many years asking for a quote.  Sent that email at 11:34am...got a reply with quote at 11:46am :shocker!:  I am used to them being fast but wow! 

Blather - I put the non-astigmatic correcting contact lenses in this morning.  The doc also changed the strength of the prescription and....so far...I'm fine reading my monitor screen and newsprint without my reading glasses :shocker!:  They may be a winner!

Bonus:  My grass is ok with once a week mowing right now.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:11 AM
No reading glasses?:shocker!: I have a severe astigmatism in both eyes, and feel like it's gotten worse in the last 2 years. I can't see anything close without reading glasses, and now I can't see much far away.:roll: How are you eyes with driving?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:22 AM
I haven't driven yet today but don't expect a problem as my distance vision seems fine.  My eye doc adjusted the prescription from -5.5 in my right eye lens and -5.0 in the left to -5.0 and -4.5 respectively.  Without correction, my eyesight is equal (equally bad) in both eyes.  Offsetting it this way is called a monovision prescription that works more for distance vision in one eye (the right I think) and close up/reading in the other (my left).
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 1:50 PM
Wow, that's a strong Rx. With your astigmatism, does that exclude you as a candidate for Lasik? I keep wanting to pull the trigger, but need to build up the $. Everyone who gets it says how life changing it is.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:28 PM
I had Lasik before it was Lasik.:laugh: Way back in 1993, before laser eye surgery was approved in the States, I dated an ophthalmology resident whose attending wanted practice doing the radial keratotomy (sp?), the eye correction with a scalpel instead of a laser. So the attending cut me a deal and let me pay it off a little bit each week. It was amazing! I remember they gave me a lot of valium first, to be very relaxed so my eyes wouldn't move, and I got very giggly.:laugh: But I could see better immediately afterward, and for an active person (I was a gym rat back then, swam at lunch time, ran at night, always taking contacts in and out or just doing without:meh:) it really was life changing. After 25+ years, the effects are weaker, but I have no regrets at all. Loved it. And I understand the laser is better.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:08 AM
:laugh::laugh: You are very brave!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:56 PM
I know it's better & safer than many years ago but someone taking a scalpel or a laser to my eye grossed me out so even when I began going to my current eye doc & he asked if Lasik was something I'd be interested in I declined.  So to answer your question, I don't think astigmatism in general rules me out but I was never formally evaluated to determine if I was a candidate.  It's funny, I had a conversation about Lasik with a much younger (36 y/o) woman in my running & Tri clubs a few minutes before we jumped from the ferry last Sunday.  She had it done a few years ago & swears it's one of the best decisions she's ever made. 

Re: Spin's comments, I can do anything except sleep with my contacts in.  I definitely swim with them in but I do need to be careful about water getting inside my goggles.  I had contact lenses for about 2 years back when you had to "cook" soft lenses overnight to clean them.  I sliced one in the case the day I was leaving Bermuda to come home on my honeymoon...you didn't throw them out every 30 days or less back then so I had no backups...and between that major change in life and living in a new area, I just never bothered to get it replaced.  I went back to contacts 6 years later, approximately concurrent with becoming a runner.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 5:51 PM
But... if you do the Lasik, you get valium!
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:08 AM
Do you get to keep some extra for a snow day? :wtf:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:18 PM
Logically I'm sure lasik is a good option, but there is just something about cutting on my eye that skeeves me out.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-10 4:20 AM
/delurk Astigmatism should not exclude you from lasik or PRK surgery. I have/had it and I had PRK surgery done in 2009. I was not a candidate for Lasik for a different reason (thickness of lenses I think). Like the lady you were talking it, it was a very good decision because at the time I had been wearing contacts and got a sinus infection that went into my eyes rendering them unable to wear contacts after that. Since I was just getting into Tri at the time I made the decision to get the PRK done. I can't imagine having to have prescription goggles, sunglasses etc for all that is needed for triathlon :cry:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 12:11 PM
Somebody was looking for business!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:33 AM
We're actually enjoying some cooler weather down south. It was quite pleasant yesterday. The humidity is a bit higher today and we are supposed to be back into the 90's this weekend so enjoy it while it lasts. We did 4.5 miles on the trails this morning. The parking lot was pretty empty when we started but had lots of cars when we finished. A co-worker passed us going the opposite direction on our loop and it dawned on me - his so runs for one of the local high schools and now that school is out, they are doing Friday AM runs out there.

We will be digging out some cool weather gear as we begin the packing for Alaska over the weekend. IM trying to get my wife going as she normally waits until the very last minute. It's her birthday tomorrow so we will enjoy a nice dinner out.

Bonus: The grass is doing pretty well. There is some pesky weed/grass that is growing faster than the regular grass so it looks weird In places. I will cut it over the weekend and it will last the 2 weeks that we will be gone.

Our senior song was Come Sail Away, which is another good summer sounding song.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:12 AM
Alaska! So exciting!:grin::cool:
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:32 AM
Alaska - so cool! What's your itinerary??
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:43 AM
We fly into Anchorage late Tuesday and drive to Denali on Wednesday and explore some that afternoon. We take the shuttle bus into Denali on Thursday for 6.5 hours and then catch a small plane out. Friday is back to Anchorage to pick up my race stuff and run the marathon on Saturday. We hop on a train Sunday morning to Seward where we board our cruise ship. That's a 7 day trip down the coast to Vancouver and we'll have some time on Sunday 6/25 to explore a bit before flying home on Monday. (We'll need a vacation after the vacation :laugh:)

The cruise is making packing interesting since they have some "fancy" nights.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 1:46 PM
Wow, that sounds so awesome. Have a great time!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-09 6:11 PM
Have a great trip!!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:29 AM
Slow day here, so I am about to go out for a walk (!!) during lunch. Usually, I don't leave my desk, which leaves me antsy and distracted by 3pm. Maybe that's just work, but I find that getting outside sort of hits the reset button for me.

Run: 4 miles this morning in perfect weather. Weekend plans include a lot of driving around :meh: Tomorrow, friends of ours are having a birthday party for their two year old son, but they live over an hour away from us. We don't see the people often, so we're going. It should be fun, but it's going to be an all-day thing. Hoping for a relaxing Sunday to offset Saturday, but my parents are looking to have us come out, which is also kind of a hike (45 non-highway, annoying-to-drive minutes away). We'll see.

Bonus: We uprooted a large swath of weeks left behind by our old owner and planted new grass, and it's now reached a point where it's sufficiently filled in so that it looks continuous. So that's a bonus. We still aren't mowing over it yet, though.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-09 12:13 PM
Sorry about all the driving. The joy of parenting I suppose, eh? Did I read right that you are expecting again? Congrats!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-09 1:46 PM
Yep - end of September, we'll have another girl :cool: January 1, our childcare costs will be doubling :meh::cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:35 PM
we'll have another girl :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:37 PM
If it's any comfort, you'll miss those toddler/little kid birthday parties someday- when you won't have to go anymore.:laugh: Definitely a mixed bag. Is Barney still around? We had Barney come for Harry's second birthday party.:laugh: So funny to hear the woman who arranged it calling the guy in the purple dinosaur suit "the actor," like "the actor will arrive at 2pm.":laugh::roll: And then to see all the little kids mob him. I'm still laughing!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:33 PM
I did my LR today since my RP is still on vacation, and we are having dinner with neighbors tonight.  I didn't want to be "that" guest that can't eat half of what's served and leaves early because she has a LR in the morning :roll:  Weather was summery, but not terribly oppressive.  I felt pretty good but was more pissed off than I should have been when I finished almost the exact same 14-mile route I ran last week only to have my Garmin tell me that my pace was 1 sec/mile slower than last week.  WTF???  :mutmad:  I know I should be glad it was so close, but really, one second? 

Yesterday was my last day at the store.  I will miss my boss Luci, but if I ever doubted the decision, a couple of my customers yesterday removed all doubts.  Summer track has started.  There was a meet yesterday that started at 4 pm.  Around 5, a mom came in wearing a t-shirt that said "Rock-Paper-Sissors," then "Sissors" was crossed out and overwritten with "Gun!  I win!!"  :roll: :shocker!:  She told me her son needed spikes.  I asked what size, and she told me Men's 4.  I checked in back.  No men's size 4 (because I doubt they even make spikes that small)  I bring out what I have, which is a single pair of shoes, size 5.5 and tell her this is the smallest I have.  She looks at them and says "Do you have a different color?"  They were black with orange logos.  I told her it was all I had, and she started trying to put them on her son who didn't like them.  She kind of tossed them back to me and huffed out with me smiling and waving behind her.  OK, maybe I didn't wave, but I was sure happy to see her go.  We get a lot of that this time of year -- waiting until the last minute, demanding the right size and a color that suits them, and it annoys me no end.  I had a couple of other nice customers, too, and those are people I will miss, but I think I'll be over it by next Tuesday : pbbt:

We May Never Pass This Way Again.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-09 2:42 PM
You're upset over one second?:laugh:

Ugh, that mom sounds like a real winner.:roll: Men' size 4 sounds like a child's size.:wtf: Enjoy your freedom!:hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Summery FRIDAILY