Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Herrgottsfrühe Friday - NRR
- - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 8:14 AM
:meh:
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 8:18 AM
I am trying to balance religious tolerance with the requirement that conference calls must occur between 2300 and 0430 local (for me), due to time zones and persons participating in a religious fasting period.

two more weeks of this... zzzzz
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 9:07 AM
Lead on the Eid al-Fitr. Sorry about the wee hours conference calls.

I am sure it is not helping anyone's disposition that Ramadan falls in the longest month of the year for the Northern Hemisphere this year. I don't know how they do it. I can go without food, that's challenging but achievable, but no water for the entire day is not something I think I could handle.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-09 9:20 AM
While not of that faith, my religion also requires extended "no food/no water" fast periods. For me, both are easier as time goes on.  The first few days are hard as the body adjusts, but soon it adapts and I stop even thinking about or wanting food/water. It is hardest to get back to the regular schuedule after the fast period.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 4:57 PM
To clarify: June is not the longest month, I know, but the month that has the summer solstice and therefore the month in which the daylight hours are longest.
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 6:42 PM
:blush: I didn't even question your use of the phrase "longest" and immediately assumed you were talking about the daylight hours.   :nerd:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-10 4:11 AM
Guess that makes me a nerd as well :laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-09 9:26 AM
:shocker!:  Oh, yuck.  I don't understand the correlation of fasting to not being available for meetings.  My son's friends who participate in Ramadan eat after dark.  He has participated sometimes to see what it is like (not the entire month).
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 9:33 AM
I've been told those individuals observing the fast do not / are not required :wtf: to work the full day and leave early afternoon.   I have no evidence of this, but part of me is ticked if that is true, other religions do not get "paid time off" for religious holidays/services/events.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-09 9:48 AM
It's standard in the Middle East for the work day to be reduced to 6 hours during Ramadan so if that's where they are (you mentioned time zones) it's no different from the UK having both Good Friday & Easter Monday off for a religious holiday
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 9:53 AM
That may explain it - the "home office" for some of these folks is in the Middle East, though I think they are elsewhere at the moment, hence the multiple time zones.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-09 10:06 AM
This was certainly the case for me in Dubai, Kuwait & Qatar. We generally worked normal hours but in return got Christmas Day and Good Friday which weren't local holidays so it all worked out :hug:
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 10:32 AM
It may work out on paper somehow (how does 40 hours = 16 hours?), but the inconvenience for a few days is not equal to the inconvenience for a month straight.  : pbbt::mutmad::blush::it'sallaboutmeeeee:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-09 10:55 AM
It wasn't formal : pbbt: but we were all fine with the arrangement. And hey - you're having a conference call with them on Friday - how often do you have those calls on a Sunday?
Parent - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 11:05 AM
nope, not this morning, I'm setting up the conference call, they emailed Germany Thursday overnight, Germany emailed me last night & I'll be calling in Sunday night / Monday morning.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:06 PM
My colleague who is fasting is working shorter hours this month.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2017-06-09 11:24 AM
We need a sleepy emoji! I used to have frequent calls with our Indonesia office and the main change during Ramadan was a preference for calls during the morning (Indonesia time). Otherwise their evening calls were later than normal because they either had breaking the fast events in the office or the home and needed more time. The work day didn't seem to end early in Indonesia but I was never in office to know. :happy:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 9:09 AM
I agree, ungodly hour. (Opened Google as soon as I saw the thread title.) I took DSBF to work this morning since DS was working the overnight shift and therefore had the van. DSBF's shift started at 2 AM. I am dragging also.
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 9:37 AM
A phrase I learned this morning - "in alle Herrgottsfrühe "   

In turn, I explained "un-Godly early" and "zero-dark-thirty" to my counterpart.   It was a good discussion of language that morphed into how articles are dependent upon context: der weizen (wheat grain) vs. das weizen (wheat beer)
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 9:38 AM
This sounds like the beginning of a joke... A German and an American discuss the implications of Ramadan on conference calls...
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:45 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 12:04 PM
Should've added "arse crack of dawn" to the verbage and explained the pun involving various meanings of the word "crack", if you want your counterpart to learn American slang! : pbbt:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-09 9:58 AM
You took him to work for a 2am shift? Yikes. You are such a good 2nd mom
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:45 AM
I'm hanging out in my favorite place, a hospital waiting room. :roll:  A is having an interventional radiology procedure done, supposedly at 10am so we got here at 9:10 (for no good reason other than that we left the house when A wanted to leave...).  They were running "on time" so they took her back at 11:40. :roll:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-09 11:15 AM
:cry::cry:
Parent - - By Mickey [ca] Date 2017-06-09 11:23 AM
Don't you get to upgrade to the first class lounge by now?  You've certainly spent more than your share time there.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-09 11:58 AM
They definitely need a frequent flyer lounge. :laugh:

Looks like we should be out of here by 2:30...
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-09 11:59 AM
with free drinks and hot towels!
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-09 4:08 PM
And an appetizer buffet!
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-06-09 7:25 PM
And comfy chairs for napping/sleeping!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 12:05 PM
11:40 for a 10 am appt? That is NOT "on time".
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-09 2:36 PM
The sad thing is that in hospitals, it too often is. :meh:
Signed,
Also spending much time in radiology and surgery waiting rooms
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-09 11:59 AM
I had pulmonary testing this morning.  Everything is normal. Or normal enough. He now wants to do a test where they simulate asthma to see how I respond. The "next available" is August 3rd!!: pbbt:  In the mean time, I cough.....
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-09 1:05 PM
:cry:  I hate waiting a long time for appts!  Did they just do a spirometry?  The one that simulates asthma (methocoline challenge if I remember) positively identified my asthma; the other one they did where you test before and after using a ton of albuterol, was negative, as albuterol doesn't help my asthma, but it does make my heart go into bigemy for hours.  I had an echo test after that, so the technician was pretty annoyed with my heart beating weird.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-09 1:10 PM
I did five different tests-- in slowly and out fast, out fast and in slowly, in and out slowly, pant, hyperventilate stuff like that.  The Methocoline challenge is the next one. I did an arbuterol one also and only say a 3% change, which apparently isn't enough. Other than the methodone (:wink:) challenge, I'm not sure what's next. Dr did say he "heard something funny" in my heart. But he listeend other ways too, and either could not get t to replicate.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-09 2:20 PM
I hope they figure it out.  For that wait, you could go to National Jewish and have a million tests lined up.  I think I had 30 tests to figure things out.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-09 4:03 PM
Still friend drama, sigh. Runningtype I am sending you a message for advice please.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-09 4:09 PM
Ok, checking shortly!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:09 PM
Last month a friend had a preventative mastectomy due to being BRCA positive and then found out today another friend is having a mastectomy for diagnosed breast cancer. Both are around my age and runners. :sad: Enough already!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 9:12 AM
We have four more kittens! One black, one tabby with socks, one tabby without socks, and one tuxedo. The black and tuxedo are boys, the tabbies are girls, we think. About 5 weeks old and all of them with tufty ears. :hug: Probably returning this batch on July 5th, since the next two races are the weekend of the 8th.

All four are a bit cautious right now but appreciative of both the food being served and the space in the bathroom as opposed to a cage at the shelter. Very wary of Iota's big paw coming under the bathroom door as he tries to make friends and play with them through the gap. He will likely meet them later today under supervision.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-09 9:20 AM
I've been away - is this an entirely new batch? Did the last group make it okay?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 12:09 PM
Yes it is, and both the two previous batches -- the TabbyDubs, Walter, Winston, Winter, Willow, and Whatever, and the gray quartet, Mike, Patty, Cara, and Charlie -- survived our care. Mike is a wobbly kitten (cerebellar hypoplasia) but a love bug and he and his sister Patty are the only two who haven't been adopted yet, and that's because Patty is recovering from spay surgery and we'd like to maximize the chance that they will be adopted together. Mike was fixed the same day but the recovery time is a lot faster for males, of course.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-09 2:37 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-09 10:28 AM
:hug:  Kitties!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 12:11 PM
DS and DSBF are now used to the kitten revolving door, and they do like cuddling them some of the time. Our constant kitten supply also results in visitors who want a kitten fix without the necessity of adopting one. (Wish all the visitors would scoop the box.)

I think Iota is probably the one who misses the fattened/returned ones most. He likes having playmates.

Gwen stared at the closed bathroom door and hissed furiously. "Another lot? WHY?"
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-09 1:05 PM
Gwen stared at the closed bathroom door and hissed furiously. "Another lot? WHY?" :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 4:10 PM
It sounds like an entry for the Bulwer-Lytton contest, doesn't it?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-10 4:13 AM
:laugh::laugh: yep!
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-09 8:13 PM
Ear tufts!:grin::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-09 10:50 PM
Ear tufts are ADOWABLE. Gwen has a little tiny tuft pointing out from the tip of each ear.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Herrgottsfrühe Friday - NRR