Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Been To Any Good Marches Lately?
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-11 9:07 AM Edited 2017-06-11 9:11 AM
The Pride March or Resist March is happening today. :hug:

I won't be attending this one. I'm getting over a cold.

My mom and I did go to the Women's March here in Ventura.:hug: 50 years prior, she marched for a lot of the same reasons. :meh: 

video--> The end of the Ventura March.

I did not make the March for Science either. School work and distance kept me from making it to the LA demonstration.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-11 2:46 PM
Cool you got to march with your mom.  Kinda sucks we're still protesting some of this :roll:

I participated in Brownsville's "March for Truth" last weekend.  It was a super small turn out, maybe 30 people, nice to meet kindred spirits.  My neighbor shocked me and came along

When I went to visit my DH who had a temporary assignment in Alexandria, VA in Feb., I went to what was advertised as a rally, but it turned into a march on the White House :cool:

Back in January I went to the Women's March in Austin.  That was epic!  Not sure how many participants there were -- I want to say at least 30,000.  Those in our group who were competitors, either runners or triathletes, fared the best, as we knew how to find openings in the throngs of people and work our way through :laugh:

If you've ever wondered whether or not to go, I urge you to step out and give it a try.  It's good to feel like you've spoken up, and I've always come back inspired.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-15 10:49 AM Edited 2017-06-15 10:52 AM
:cool:

I was really glad to make it to The Women's March because that turned out to be an amazing world wide thing.

One thing that I noticed, relevant to recent news, was that there was no hateful language and it was not about Clinton losing.   All the signs and all the chanting and singing carried positive messages that demanded equality and fairness. It was a mass public demonstration for improving civil rights and against handing the country over to fascists and big oil.

there was one nut shouting that this is what we get for not voting for some other guy, not Bernie surprisingly enough. : pbbt:
Parent - - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-06-12 6:37 AM
I was wondering and going to post about "who has the time to do these marches and protests" :laugh: I think this thread will kind of provide answers to that qn.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-12 5:42 PM
We all have time for that, I think.:wtf: Maybe tougher for some of us, but we all could do it if prioritizing above work, family, social networking, gaming, watching tv, reading, socializing or any combination of those things and the other things we do whether valuable or worthless.:wink:

I certainly have time nowadays, but simply can't because of my job. With my kid on his own, I definitely would find time to join in marches and rallies except that I ethically cannot. I don't begrudge anyone not being active, especially peeps with justified family and/or work priorities.:hug: Those things and some other things can and should take priority over marches and rallies. But marches and protests etc. are the roots of our democracy. We all have a voice and given the chance, should use that voice, imo anyhow.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-15 7:58 AM
I have gained a different perspective on attending marches.  I used to think "don't they have something better to do," etc., but the marches I have attended have given me an opportunity to meet some inspiring people, many who work hard beforehand and behind the scenes to make the gathering possible.  I've also seen many who attend in spite of physical challenges because they need their voices heard.  In general, I'm an introvert, and it is difficult to make myself go, especially if I'm alone, but I have never regretted the effort.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-15 10:14 AM
:happy:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:42 AM
Not the John Phillips Sousa thread I was expecting...
Parent - By Elcontador [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:18 PM
Much of the Italian military music of the 20th century was designed with marching in mind.  They used to (and maybe still do) have a book, "Canzioneiri di soldato Italiano" (songs of the Italian soldier).  Think of an Italian version of John Philip Sousa (whose surname was originally most likely, De Souza) with a world class opera tenor singing the lyrics.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-13 12:11 PM
:laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-06-12 11:27 AM
My wife and daughter did the March for Science in Denver.  She, daughter and son did the recent March for the Truth to get Trump to release his taxes.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-13 12:11 PM
:happy:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-12 3:23 PM
I've been to several since The Dark Times started.  I think the climate march was the last one.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2017-06-12 4:17 PM
I've never marched for anything - even things I am passionate about. 

1.  I don't think I really get the point of it in the context of issues which are brought before a vote of the people every 4 years or so
2.  I hate crowds
3.  I don't want to be a target
4.  I guess I am a contrarian at heart and the thought of being anywhere surrounded by people that think like i do positively sickens me.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-06-12 5:45 PM
I especially would have loved joining the march for science.:cool: See my reply to mut for a little better explanation why I didn't.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-15 10:25 AM
Me too.  If we continue as is or with even less regard for the planet, nothing else will matter much.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:33 PM
The whole time between February and April.:cool:
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2017-06-13 2:18 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-06-15 12:15 PM
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-15 1:15 PM
:cool:
- By N70SAK Date 2017-07-03 5:44 AM
Apparently, the Impeachment March was this weekend. I haven't been looking, so didn't even know this was yesterday.

I was home studying... ETHICS! : pbbt:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Been To Any Good Marches Lately?