Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Merry Monday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 5:00 AM
Summer all of a sudden here.
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 5:02 AM
Friday’s run was a really nice 65 minute run. I did a little hill work as well. It was a good time to see friends and a favorite little dog.
Saturday was SDO except for a 1 mile hike on a trail with DC.
Sunday Buddy and I did 75 minutes out the trail. We heard lots of birds, geese, herons, saw some squirrels and chipmunks but no coyotes.
Today I want to do an early run. It’s starting to be summer here this week. :cool:
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:19 AM
Coyotes were probably snoozing. They do tend to be nocturnal.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:28 AM
God idea to beat the heat.:cool:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:20 AM
I'm going to lift class now and want to start work early so no workout yet.

Yesterday's run was 5mi with the Sunday group. We went to Big Biscuit a local breakfast and ran through a scenic park nearby. The run was a big hit and got some good likes, shares and comments on social media. I sent my email about a proposed event for our group so hopefully the timing  will help with my request.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:19 AM
Nice Sunday run!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 10:52 AM
I hope you get a positive response from the store about your idea!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:33 PM
Sounds like a really fun run, especially Big Biscuit sounds good too! :grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:19 AM
It was cool and foggy all weekend but is going to get steadily hotter this week. Nice while it lasted.

4 this morning, RN swims MWF so I went out alone. Nothing surprising or unusual to report, just a start-of-day run. Though it is nice this time of year when I see the dawn start as I'm coming back.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:29 AM
I love early morning light. It is one of my favorite things.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:34 PM
Watching the dawn colors is really neat. That always makes me feel so hopeful.:happy:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-12 8:32 AM
Nice quiet weekend, just what I needed...although the binge eating junk food afternoon yesterday should've been avoided. Damn supermarket with an international section that had chocolate hob nobs and bourbons

Anyway:
Sat: 2 horrible miles. I didn't get up early enough to run before getting my hair re-highlighted so had to wait until the evening & it was hot & muggy. 3 walk breaks in 2 miles is a bit ridiculous - but done
Sun: 4.4 miles with the run club. I'm enjoying the group :hug: although my pace leader (yeah it's just me & her :blush:) is going away for 6 weeks so then I'll be alone a lot I think, but that's OK

I'm considering either the Grand Forks half or Twin Cities 10 mile - anyone have any experience with either one? I won't decide until a lot nearer the time as plans don't tend to work well for me at the moment but those are the 2 races that would match my training schedule best.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:40 AM
Twin Cities was a lottery in 2004, I think it might still be. It does have a whopper of a hill as I recall.

I don't know enough about Grand Forks to have an opinion on the half, sorry.

If you need walk breaks, take them, especially because of the hot muggy weather. Sorry your pace leader is taking 6 weeks off!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:51 AM
You two runs in this weekend so good job!

Good you are staring to look for a race.
Parent - By prairierunner [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:01 AM
DH and I ran the TC 10 mile last year and loved it. We have run the TC full, so part of our love of the 10 mile course is that it is the last 10 of the full. Running the hills of Summit Ave isn't bad if it's miles 6, 7, &8. totally different story if it's miles 21, 22, & 23... we both ran good races and had a blast.

Entry is a lottery that opens in July. I am running it this year as part of a.race series that guaranteed me entry into the 10 mile.

I have no experience with Grand Forks.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 10:53 AM
I had to look up what a hobnob was! I guess that was not one my grandparents liked :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:38 AM
BTW I think when Nomad is referring to bourbons she is talking about chocolate biscuits with chocolate cream, not the adult beverage. :grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 1:04 PM
That part I knew :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:35 PM
Great work on the runs! :cool:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-06-12 9:10 AM
Not so merry.  It is hot and miserable out there. : pbbt:  Slow, sweaty 5.1 for me this morning.  I'm getting ready to head up to Nashville for a concert (Iron Maiden) tomorrow night!  It's a long drive, but it should be a great show.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 9:17 AM
Are you staying the night, or just doing an up and back?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:44 PM
I drove up today and am staying tonight and tomorrow night then driving back on Wednesday.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:39 AM
Have fun at the show. Are you staying there afterwards?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:45 PM
Yes.  No way I am driving five hours home after the show.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:35 PM
Hope you have a great time at the show! :cool:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:44 PM
Thanks!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:59 PM
Hope it's worth the drive!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 9:17 AM
For some reason I woke up at 5:30 this morning.:meh: Used the time to do a TRX workout and a half hour of yoga.  I couldn't swim today because I got my hair purpled yesterday and don't want to wash it yet. 

Note to self- chair pose after TRX squats is nothing to laugh about:shocker!:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:39 AM
Ouch, that sounds like a recipe for very sore quads.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:37 PM
Chair pose can be a killer, for sure, even under the best of conditions. The name sounds so benign. :laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 3:09 PM
seriously, as if you are just sitting there. :laugh:
Parent - - By prairierunner [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:05 AM
Monday is usually an 8 mile day, but my summer schedule is flexible.  I ended up running 10 with DH. Just because.  There's something gratifying about banging out 10 before work. DH is still trying to figure out his new confidants at work, so for now, I am his sounding board. So we hashed out a few things. It was nice.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:40 AM
Long runs before work give one such a sense of accomplishment.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:37 PM
Long runs before work really help with the rest of the work day. :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:00 PM
10 miles before work is an accomplishment . Glad you and DH can run together.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 10:51 AM
Decent weekend of workouts.
Sat- 2:30 on the trainer (ave 16 mph) followed by a really slow 3 mile run that I didn't care abou tbecuase it was HOT and my calves were tight. I'd had some issues on the bike (comfort) and I think I shifted around which caused tightness. So I stretched several times during the run. Got it done though and that's what matters.
Sun- I did a 1:20 run with 10x3min@ 70.3 pace (9:50)/1 recovery which netted a 7.6 with the slower w/u & c/d. Did better at keeping the HR is the correct zones with the slower pacing.
Today- hit the pool for a 2700 yard swim. When I got there the pool had a person in each lane (3) and 2 people in the hot tub. So I watched for a few and decided who I wanted to share with and headed over and the guy popped up and saw me so I asked if I could share, he said yes. I dumped my stuff and the lady in the hot tub says "excuse me we are waiting". I said ok, and continued with what I was doing so she repeated herself. I said, Ok, but I asked to share a lane. If you'd like this lane, I'll ask one of the others. I don't have time to wait for a lane to be free and when lanes are full, people ask to share. She just kind of looked at me a little stunned. I got into the water and she finally gets out of the hot tub and comes over to me and says but...so I explain, how it works, again repeating that if she wants the lane I was now in, fine I'll switch. She ended up just getting in the next lane because neither of the other 2 swimmers were acknowledging anyone's presence. The one guy (Mr Matchy) is notorious for not sharing and he was there. He's not the best to share with but the other hot tub guy got a pair and went to share with him. Seriously, they were both annoyed with me because I opened my mouth and ASKED TO SHARE. WTF.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:59 AM
They were annoyed because you asked to share rather than waiting until the lanes cleared, because they "were here first"?

If I didn't know swimmers frequently share lanes I would have been a bit taken aback too, like this lady, if I thought someone was jumping the line. Is there a sign about lane sharing and the protocol?

And are some swimmers like bus riders in that they pretend they don't see anyone who wants to share a lane, like people sitting on the aisle with their stuff on the window seat and pretending they don't know people want to sit there?

Not sure I'd want to sit in the hot tub and wait for someone to finish their swim, either, especially considering how long a swim could take.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 1:12 PM
Yes, they were annoyed because I asked to share instead of waiting in a non-existent line. There might be a sign about that but it's not obvious (sign with pool rules, talks about circle swimming I do know that) that is not near where one enters the pool area. Mr Matchy is just like the bus riders. In fact if there is another lane with only one person and you ask to share his lane (IF you get his attention) he will flat out tell you no he won't share :mutmad: I stopped asking him if he's the only person where there is room because he doesn't get to have special treatment when the rest of us have to share. People swim at different speeds for different lengths of time. With only 3 lanes, one would think it's kind of obvious that there would be sharing so you don't have to wait endlessly but I guess not. Afterwards when she was does she thanked me for pointing out what to do and that she was able to get her swim done. So I guess she wasn't mad at the end. But I was really wanting to say when she first said something "do you really expect me not to swim just because you wouldn't open your mouth to share?" Fortunately I kept that part of my mouth shut : pbbt:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:16 PM
I would just jump into Mr. Matchy's lane -- actually, let's say the lane that Mr. Matchy is currently using, unless it has a little plaque that says "this lane belongs to Mr. Matchy". What's he going to do, try to throw you out?

I suppose he could "accidentally" kick you in the face or pee in the part of the pool you're about to swim through.

And I wouldn't have known about lane sharing if we hadn't talked about it previously. Good for you for explaining the protocols to her.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 1:04 PM
Pool lanes aren't like treadmills. You can put 6-8 swimmers in each one. I'm not sure that would work at LA fitness, since everyone is such different speeds. I hate it when there is more than one pool walker and they aren't sharing a lane.  Or one time, I was watching two men who were sharing a lane, and they were always at opposite ends, and often walking, but occasionally swimming. I was trying to figure out if I should share with them or not, when another swimmer got out.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-12 2:44 PM
Great workouts! It's too bad the pool walkers can't have their own small pool. There is a snake shaped pool that winds around at our gym for them to use. I know absolutely nothing about pools and swimming. : pbbt: My pool is a bathtub. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:15 PM
A snake shaped pool for the walkers?

Sounds a bit like the "lazy river" that people float down in a tube.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:04 PM
I say they could not have cared about swimming that much if they were going to wait indefinitely fora lane to open up. Sounds like you made your own opportunitiy.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Merry Monday dailies