Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Momma Mia Monday NRR
- - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:21 AM
Long weekend, slow Monday.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:00 AM
DS1's team played in a tournament this weekend.  It was brutally hot.  The team has been struggling this season - they just haven't jelled with some new kids; they're also still grappling with one of their own about to have his leg amputated.  None of the kids are bad fits or anything, the group just hadn't come together.  But they came together this weekend!  Firing on all cylinders, playing their hearts out, supporting each other (literally swooping up bobbled balls from their teammates and getting the outs), doing whatever it took to make the plays and get the runs.  The energy was back, you could FEEL the joy in the dugout.  I'm so proud of and happy for them.  They brought home the championship.

I, however, am about to fall asleep at my desk.  Such a long, hot weekend.  So many house chores to do during the week now added to prepping for vacation next week.  One chore at a time, one chore at a time.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:36 AM
It can take a while for a group to coalesce, and seeing a teammate go through a serious health crisis probably isn't helping either. Glad they came together! Good work kids.

Get done what you can and make DH and the DSs pitch in.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 11:53 AM
Cool!  I'm glad they came together.  I had a coworker who had lost her leg to bone cancer at 14.  She ended up winning several paralympic medals in 1994; Gold in the Giant slalom and bronze in the Super-G.  She skied it with just one leg!  She's very strong.  She didn't wear a prothesis to ski it.  She also biked up Vail pass with one leg.  When we hiked, she would take off her prothesis and just use crutches.  They've come a long way with prothesis now, but hers was not the athletic kind, and her amputation was high on the thigh.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-13 7:45 PM
His surgery was today.  They did rotationplasty and he's already moving his foot and wiggling his toes.  His spirits are good, and his goal is to be on the mound pitching in the spring.  His doctors think that's a possible goal.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 8:27 PM
:shocker!:  Good news!
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-12 9:03 AM
Cleaned out the kids' backpacks yesterday, because I don't want any surprise leftover hotdog in there again! 

Older Geekling is somewhat distraught about changing schools (still up in the air, btw), and took a notebook on the last day of school to collect signatures from people.  She came back with little notes from every teacher she has ever had.  The notes are adorable - comments on her progress, how much they enjoy her creativity, the music teacher told her to try out for the choir at the new school, etc.  

Completely unknown to her, I've been bringing a copy of Dr. Seuss' "Oh, The Places You'll Go" to her teachers every year & having them write something in there.  My plan is to do this through high school & give her the book at graduation.  Seeing what she collected on her own, I'm so very happy that I've done this since she was little :happy:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 9:06 AM
That's awesome about the geekling. She's shifting schools because of the new house?

My friends that name their kids after birds have a copy of that book for each kid. They started with signatures at the baby naming and are going to keep going over time. Not sure if they'll give it to the girls at bat mitzvah or at graduation.  They are likely to be home schooled, so getting teachers to sign it is less likely.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-12 9:29 AM
If we get the new house (ugh, still negotiating deficiencies & major repairs), they'll be in a different bussing district.   WI has school choice, in theory, we could still send them to the other school if we provide our own transportation.  The "new" school is about 4 miles closer to the "new" house, convenience is a big factor.  However, the "new" school is almost twice as many students (recently got some award, everyone and their brother trying to get in).

Both elementary schools feed into the same middle school, so they'll be back with the same crowd in a few years & changing schools may give them the benefit of knowing twice as many students in middle school.

For your friends, whomever is the primary homeschool teacher could write a little note in there "1st grade year..." :happy: Also, breakout groups (piano teacher, theater director, soccer coach) could be tapped for that as well.  Everyone I've asked has enthusiastically agreed to put a note in there.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:19 AM
that is such a beautiful idea about the Dr. Seuss book! :hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 9:04 AM
MCF spent most of Sunday complaining about how we never get anything done around the house. Sunday morning, over breakfast we made a list of what we wanted to do in the garden that day.  At 5pm I finally told him I was going to go outside and do the things I could do alone.  About half an hour later he joined me and we finished all the outdoor stuff before dark. :roll: If he hadn't spent the day complaining, we could have gotten it done by noon and then enjoyed the day.

In other news, I got my purple re-touched and love it!!
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-12 9:27 AM
Ah, I see you've met my husband.  :roll:

Now I just make a list and start ordering people to do things.  :laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:34 AM
I make lists for the men who live in my house, and have learned to anticipate any reasons proffered for why they can't accomplish something and impose a workaround.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:08 PM
My boys seem to have finally learned that fighting with mom only makes mom mad and typically makes the list of things they have to do longer.  They finally figured out the list of chores is endless.  And they will get done eventually, so just do them without whining and then you can go play.  (that's not to say they don't ever fuss, they do, just not as much as before I started standing my ground and adding more things to the their lists).

Or makes mom mad and she makes a scene.  For example, they used to pitch a fit and fight me on putting sunscreen on.  Didn't take DS1 long to figure out I wasn't afraid to hold him down and put it on, all the while loudly proclaiming why he should be wearing it.  Now, I just call his name and hold up the sunscreen.  He comes over and puts it on himself. Another mom commented this weekend that she couldn't believe he liked putting it on.  Ha!  He doesn't, but he prefers that to the public embarrassment of his mom rubbing sunscreen on him.  :laugh:

DH, on the other hand, .....  still a work in progress.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 1:36 PM
I don't feel like MCF gets that the list of chores is endless. He's said we can get a cat when we "clean up the basement" which of course is an impossible task, so we will never get a cat. Owning a house is always a work in progress.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-12 3:24 PM
Did he say that because he knows it will never get cleaned up to his satisfaction because he does not want a cat?
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 3:48 PM
I think he doesn't want a cat. I also think he doesn't think through how house projects go. Our garden, bathroom and kitchen all speak to that!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 3:51 PM
My parents are adorable. They are on vacation in Ireland, and sending a "picture of the day" via email.  Today is their 51st wedding anniversary, and they sent a selfie with Guinness. :hug::hug:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-12 6:24 PM
awww
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-13 2:48 AM
That's a big number! :cool::hug:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-12 6:26 PM
Took the day off so I could have a relaxing day at home, lay out at the pool, etc. At noon daycare called because they thought B had a stomach bug and therefore required pickup. Of course he's been totally fine at home. So I lost my day off that I desperately needed.  Whine whine whine.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-13 2:48 AM
Oh that seriously blows. :sad:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:38 AM
Very short weekend, or at least it felt that way.

Still stripping wallpaper and then the popcorn has to come down and the paint up. I suspect we will need to do at least 2, probably 3 coats, one of primer and then the actual paint. That drywall has had wallpaper on it for nearly 30 years, it's going to be thirstier than a runner at Badwater.

Reebs, thank you for recommending "Come from Away". I got the CD for my birthday and have been listening to it most of the weekend. I like it!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 9:02 AM
I'm glad you like it. I'm so dissapointed that it didn't win best new musical last night. :sad: Of course, that will make tickets easier to get when it comes back to Seattle!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:19 PM
And I did some creative Googling and found the (official, sanctioned, with permission of the publisher) lyrics online and downloaded them. :grin:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-12 5:47 PM
My 8 year old friend has memorized "Between me and the Sky". :hug: She sees it as a girl power pro feminist song. I guess when September 11th is ancient history, that is easier to do!
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-06-12 2:43 PM
Ugh. Painted the upstairs ceiling yesterday afternoon, it was around 90 degrees and no one had thought to turn on the AC. I was as sweaty afterwards as I had been after my run.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Momma Mia Monday NRR