Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Medal Mondaily
- - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-12 10:57 AM
I saw that someone collected a new medal over the weekend, so thought this was appropriate today. :wink:

We will talk about race medals - how important are they? Do you have any ones that are unique and / or special to you? Do you display them or have them in a box or drawer?

Also tell us about your medal-winning efforts today and any interesting tidbits from the weekend.

Bonus: What was the last race medal you earned?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:36 AM Edited 2017-06-12 11:46 AM
When I was in HS I ran track only during my senior year.  In the last meet of our indoor season I was on a 4 X 220 yard relay with 3 stud runners (I was the slow guy). We took 1st place and it was the only HS track medal I ever won.  It had a place of honor on my bedroom wall until I moved out & bought my own house...it's here somewhere, I think.  Marathon medals are nice but I'm kinda :meh: about medals just for finishing races at opther distances.  An exception is the finisher's medal from the 5K I ran 30 consecutive years & it's also the last running race I ran...and it's in the shape of a bottle opener!
Many marathon finisher medals these days are huge!  I ran MCM in '90 & '91 and the medal from those races aren't much larger than a quarter.

Today was teaching 6am cycling class to a small group of just 7 people :summerMondaysaregoingtobelight:  I did core & shoulder PT exercises after class.   

Yesterday was our 1st 90 degree day of the 2nd heat wave of 2017.  I put our central AC on and many hours later it had cooled the house down but was still running so I lowered the temp on the thermostat and the system went off as I expected.  However, hours later as the house warmed up it didn't come back on :wtf:   I tried turning it on & off, setting the temp down to 60, etc. nada! :cry:  I pay for a service plan with my gas & electric bill so I called t in and am scheduled for a tech to be here between 4-9pm today.  Meanwhile, later last night I pulled the cover from the bottom of the until in the basement...just for the heck of it...and manually pressed the button behind it that shuts the system down when you remove the cover...nada!  I replace the cover...it's metal and needs a bit of a push to get back on so I gave it a "Fonzie smack" <---as the Fonz did to the jukebox in Al's...and lo & behold it came back on :wtf::wtf:  It's been running fine since then but I'm not cancelling the service call (it's free/covered) 'cause I want them to look at it & see if they can figure out WTF.

More blather:  tomorrow at 7pm is the first of our running club's evening races.  This is good because there's a hot weather warning from noon until 7pm today & tomorrow!  We'll be fine after 7pm...sure we will :roll:

Bonus:  I got a race medal for finishing the Aquabike in the sprint Triathlon a week ago.  It's large & heavy :roll:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:43 AM
Blazerman would have a heart attack if anyone dared to switch the thermostat to 60!:shocker!::shocker!: We have two units....one for upstairs and one for downstairs and he keeps them at 76.  The kids' bedrooms and family are upstairs and they try to turn their thermostat down, but he constantly checks it on his ipad.  When they touch it, he screams and turns the temp back up.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:05 PM
:laugh:  I actually keep ours at 76 too!  I only put it to 60 at first to try & coax the damn system to start up :cry:   Our house is a split level & there's just one thermostat in the living room (middle level).  The bedrooms upstairs are always warmer.  The family room on the lowest level (on a slab) is always cooler.

iPad :wtf:  our thermostat isn't even digital! It's 30 years old!
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:03 PM
:shocker!::cry: I could never sleep if it was that warm. During the day I like mid seventies, but nighttime I need sixties. :blush:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:00 PM
Life would be easier if things actually got fixed with a Fonzie smack! :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-12 12:09 PM
Oh man, bad time for the AC to go on the fritz. Glad your fix did the trick. Funny, I did that with my pool heater a few weeks ago that was not getting power and it did the trick too.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:04 PM
Glad the a/c worked. Ick Your temps are as warm as ours. :shocker!:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:38 AM
I could care less about the medal.  My favorite is probably from my first marathon....1988 Detroit, basically because it was my first marathon.  It is about the size of a quarter and has the original Detroit marathon logo which was used on all other of Detroit medals I earned until 2007.  When I read a race review and people whine about the medal, I want to punch them in the face.:mutmad:  I earned no medal in any of my four ultras but "made" one for each with a sticker for the simple reason of keeping track of my states.  I have no idea what I ate for dinner last night and definitely can NOT recall all my states without checking the medals.  I hang marathon medals ONLY on the two medal racks I have in my master bathroom. 

Some medals are cool, most notably the huge glass guitar from Mississippi Blues and of course, OZ. Hartford was nice and I loved the design on B&A Trail. In 2013, all four medals I earned all had orange on them, so that kinda interesting.

I ran an easy 6 miles in the oppressive heat and humidity this morning.  It was 78 and almost 100% humidity.:meh:  I know we are in this for the long haul so I just need to suck it up.  I spent Thursday afternoon through Sunday with my in-laws down in Austin as we celebrated my SIL's 50th birthday.  Since they DRINK HEAVILY AND CONSTANTLY, I did my "long" run of 15 Thursday morning at home and ran 9 miles Friday morning before the day drinking started. I actually waited until 3:30 each day before cracking a drink and was WAY behind them each day.  SDO on Saturday and easy 3 on Sunday along with some kayaking.

BONUS: The most recent medal I earned was in CdA.  It was almost obnoxiously big as I think they were trying to keep the medal whores happy.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:05 PM
How did you make the sticker medals? Do you have a pic?

Oppressive heat and humidity :cry:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:33 PM
I have a shoebox full of medals from NOT marathons and use one as the base of the medal.  When I ran Bighorn, Nashville and the other ones, they had those small, oval stickers one can stick on their car. I just put those stickers on some random half marathon or 10K meda and voila!  I have a fake medal.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:17 PM
Cool, thanks!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-12 12:12 PM
Medal whores!! :laugh:

Oh yeah, good call on getting the long run out of the way before the festivities.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:06 PM
The Mississippi blues medal is cool, we did the half so we have half guitars. :laugh:

I should write an app for you 50 states crazies to keep track of your states.  :laugh:Hmm I want to learn iOS this might be a good project.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:54 PM
You SHOULD write an app for the 50 staters!  I'm sure those who have done or are doing it would have lots of suggestions which would include but not limited to what we have run, but more importantly the "wish list" in each state.  This could include the month of a race, closest airport, size, race fee, road/trail/hilly/windy, etc.  I would also like it to keep track of whether I actually entered, hotel booked, flight info, and car rental info.  Certain users would care keep track of the medal, t-shirt, food, etc. I keep track of these things via a combination of spreadsheets, sticky notes and emails.  There are folks who do the states multiple times.  They want to do sub 3:00, sub-3:30, sub 4:00, or BQ in each state.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:24 PM
great idea! the app i have that i use to figure pace/distance etc is now out of date. I think you should do one of those too!  :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 6:57 PM
Oz is a marathon I might have to do for the medal,:laugh: but yeah, people who whine about race medals.:roll: STM was one of the coolest marathons I've ever run, and the medal was, for years, a piece of tinfoil on a ribbon.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 11:58 AM
A few of my medals are special to me: my first marathon, my first triathlon, and a few others. I got a bib/medal display for Christmas that says "The Force is strong with this one" in the Star Wars font, and my medals and some bibs are displayed on that downstairs in the gym part of the basement. :cool: My most unique medal is the RTB one that we got the other year that said "RTB Cape Cod" instead of "RTB NH" and is the size of a dinner plate. I do not have that one on my display since it would tear it out of the wall. :roll:

Today is a recovery day so I did 9 miles in about 45 min on the bike this morning. I chose a route in which I only had to make right turns until the very final left turn back onto my street. I hate making left turns on the bike, I never know what the cars are going to do. : pbbt: It was hot and humid this morning but it wasn't as noticeable on the bike!

This weekend was busy. I took a summer Friday and rolled out of bed at 8am! for an easy 4miles. Saturday I had a half-mile open water swim race. It started at 6:30 and we had to be there at 5:30 to check in. :cry: I had a decent swim, 18:41, 32/94 overall. I hyperventilated a bit at the start since we started on land and I didn't have a chance to acclimate to the water first (and no one told us that beforehand). I was able to ease into a good rhythm and started breathing normally pretty quickly, and then I got into a good groove. My sighting sucked because I had a goggle problem, but otherwise it was a good swim. When it was done I was kinda bummed that I hadn't chosen the 1 mile option, but then I went home and did my 10-mile run in the heat with 2 repeats of 2 mi @ MP, 1 mi tempo, and I was super glad I hadn't chosen the 1 mi option! :laugh: Legs were dead and I was spent. I fell off the pace for the last tempo mile but I am still calling it good. Because that wasn't enough, I ran a 5k yesterday in 26:21 (watch time since the race wasn't chip timed). It was super hot, mid-80s by the time the race started at 9:30, and it was in full sun. :cry: I started out too fast since it was downhill to start, but I reigned it in pretty quickly and started picking people off before we even hit the 1-mile mark. I steadily slowed throughout the race, but no one passed me. I was chasing this one woman for the last mile of the race, but she had a strong finishing kick that I couldn't respond to, and she finished 3 sec ahead of me for 3rd in our age group. I congratulated her and told her great run and that I had been chasing her, and she said that she heard me and that's why she sped up! :laugh:

Bonus: the last race medal I earned was last weekend at my triathlon.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-12 12:14 PM
I am exhausted after reading your post. :grin:

Be careful with your recovery please.  :gentlereminder:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:18 PM
Gentle reminder received! I am definitely being careful!!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 12:23 PM
i'm surprised you didn't throw in a bike race too this weekend! :roll:: pbbt: :anothernotsogentlereminder:

have you ever done a standalone swim race before? very cool!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:20 PM
:anothernotsogentlereminder: :laugh::hug:

I have never done a standalone swim race before. I wasn't actually racing, I just needed some more open water swim experience. It was 2 towns over and relatively cheap, so I signed up. There were 1 mile and 2 mile options as well. The same people are putting on a sprint tri staged at the same lake this coming weekend, so the swim is kind of a warm-up event for that. I am not doing the tri though!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:34 PM
Summer races should NEVER start at 9:30!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:20 PM
Agreed!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:39 PM
OWS race :cool:

A woman in my running club (who organized the 5am masters swim I did at 5am five years ago) posted some shots on FB yesterday of her daughter (college sophomore age) from the Greater Chesapeake Bay Swim...4.4 miles :shocker!:   2nd in her age group but 2nd or 3rd female overall for those not wearing a wetsuit! :shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:21 PM
:shocker!::shocker!: on so many levels! 4.4 miles :shocker!: in the Chesapeake Bay with no wetsuit :shocker!:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:09 PM
Ditto to XT, be careful okay. You are in terrific shape, keep your eyes on the goal.

I am totally with you on the right turn routes, I hate having to look over my shoulder get in the left lane right as some asshat tries to get in just ahead of me. :meh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:00 PM
Wow, awesome weekend!:cool:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-12 12:07 PM
Medals? It's all about the buckle in my races lately! That said I've never put the buckle on a belt, instead they sit inside my desk drawer with the other running stuff. Largest marathon medal was from Tulsa Route 66. It's sort of 2 piece thing in the shape of a wheel that spins.

Workout: I did a few short creaky runs this weekend. One of them somewhat interesting at Warwick Park. There was a marked course for part of my run and when I hit the main parking lot I saw some runners with bibs. When I got to the big hill climb I noticed some inspirational saying along with a photo of some guy in a hospital had been posted along the trail. All during the climb I kept seeing them over and over and when I reached the top I paused a bit and became somewhat emotional on the last photo. Here I am whining about a little knee pain and there is a guy who most likely was a wounded serviceman with a smile on his face even as he is in the hospital. Perspective is everything. I silently thanked him for his service and his lesson.

No run today. Maybe some light yardwork followed by a dip in the pool and a cold one or two on the deck.

Blather: I saw the orthopod today, told him of my knee niggles and my plans to run 100 miles this weekend. He did not flinch, examined my knee, did not think there were any new structural issues, then drained 50cc of fluid from the joint and gave a cortisone shot to top it all off. He wished me luck and sent me on my way.

Bonus: Last buckle was Mohican 100 last year. Last medal, AG win at local 5k last September. Not a big deal but I did run with some effort to earn it.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 12:21 PM
i'm glad you had the knee looked at! 

perspective really is everything. i had that conversation with myself many times yesterday.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:34 PM
Your orthopod sounds like an enabler!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:35 PM
Sounds like you have the best doctor ever!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:23 PM
Is 50cc a lot of fluid? It sounds like a lot of fluid! Glad the doc didn't flinch when you told him your plans!

Sounds like some good perspective over the weekend. I think we could all use a little bit of that.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-12 2:41 PM
It was 2 filled up tubes, but converter say 1.6 ounces. He said it was a lot, but he's seen double that before.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:11 PM
Perspective is everything. :hug:

Sounds like good news about the knee. He didn't do even a teeny tiny eye-roll? :p

Buckles! :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:01 PM
Oooh, I like your doc!:laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 12:20 PM
ha! I like race medals a lot but keep them all shoved into a big box. :roll: since that box is full, i've been stacking them on top. the star wars race medals are always a lot of fun. And you get so many if you do the race challenges that i have triggered a TSA search at the airport. :laugh: I have been thinking about having DH make a holder but i'm not sure where i'd put it. I'd actually prefer it to be in the basement but that space needs a lot of work right now. Plus i'd have to dust it. :roll:: pbbt:

definitely a day off. i'm very sore today and going up and down stairs is slow. I am happy that my feet feel pretty good. They were getting sore the last 6 miles of the marathon but well, everything was at that point!

we also had fun at a dinner party last night. i could've used a recovery run. :wink:

bonus: yesterday's light at the end of the tunnel marathon medal was very nice!  :grin: definitely hard earned. :meh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 12:38 PM
My sad performance at CdA was good enough for an AG award. The award was a a medal similar to the race medal which was a bit big. I had the two wrapped together in a shirt and they triggered a TSA search.:roll:  The dude was actually cool, smiled, held them up for everyone in line to see and told me congrats.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 1:44 PM
when we were coming back from florida, they check our bags and definitely knew they were medals but looked anyway. I'm fine with that!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:12 PM
Nice job yesterday!!

Was there much talk about the race on Saturday that basically used the same course?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 1:46 PM
nope. it's like there was no acknowledgement about this issue nor that article that came out. : pbbt: that course on saturday was different and had only been cleared for certification at the end of may. you could see the marks where they were using red chalk and our course marker used green chalk.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:25 PM
And you get so many if you do the race challenges that i have triggered a TSA search at the airport. :shocker!::laugh::laugh:

Glad to hear your feet feel ok! Definitely looking forward to your race report!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-12 1:47 PM
i am still walking rather funny even without my feet hurting. :laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:13 PM
Very cool, I need to go check your report. the medal was so pretty.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:03 PM
Dust it?:wtf:

: pbbt:

The Star Wars medals sound cool!

Congrats on the marathon!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:11 PM
I appreciate a well thought out and designed medal. It doesn't have to be huge, but size does come into play. I haven't done Little Rock yet, and will only do it because of their medal which is always huge. I have about 20-25 medals mounted in two shadow boxes and may buy some other display thing for the rest. The one that are not on display are in various boxes and drawers. MIssissippi Blues had a cool guitar medal, Disney had a huge Mouse ear medal.

Just 5 miles today as I a tapering for my next medal, or marathon, on Saturday. The other guys had about 2.5 miles in whether joined me and I did the middle part of their 10 miles with them. I will do another short run tomorrow but am not sure if I will have much chance to run again before Saturday. We celebrated my wife's birthday with a fancy dinner out on Saturday. It is a newer restaurant and we did their 5 course tasting menu that they paired up with some wines for us. It was a great experience and while expensive, worth the entertainment value.

Bonus: I received a pretty blah medal from our local half marathon last month.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:19 PM
The Run Hard Columbia medal was very nice.....nothing flashy, big, but not too big and nice design in the front.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-12 2:06 PM
That was probably the best one that Race Director had done. This year's was a big Roman numeral 4 for his 4th year. The very first year (different race director) was the best.

The current RD did a huge one for his half marathon a few years ago. It is an early December race so it was a big cookie cutter - huge but not at all attractive.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-12 1:26 PM
You are cranking out the marathons. :cool: How many do you have on the schedule this year?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-06-12 2:02 PM
It's actually a pretty light year. : pbbt:

I'm only getting 3 new states this year. I did our local marathon in March and will do Kiawah Island in December for a total of 5 marathons. I've done 6-8 each of the last 3 years.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:14 PM
The biggest medal we have is for a 5K that N ran. :laugh:

What's your next race? Is that Alaska?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:06 PM
Have you done PA yet? The Two Rivers marathon has medals that are literally dinner plate sized. So huge they're funny!:laugh: Bigger than Arkansas!

Your wife's birthday celebration sounds so nice!:hug:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 5:01 PM
Yes, someone's new medal is really pretty. I like when race stake trouble and make it cool.

We have now displayed it on the wall. Every single one of them. :roll: N doesn't want to give them away, so they're all on the wall. 1/2 full, IM /HIM. Oh well we have tons of room so might as well. Special I suppose all the full marathon ones are, but CIM 08, Boston 09 are special for obvious reasons. The IM of course and also a medal for my first OWS sprint tri that I finished.

No medal winning efforts. I should get one though for my attempts to pull together several teams and get a decision made. Driving me crazy, they've apparently met several times before and I'd assumed they had come to a decision. Apparently not. WTF, it's like groundhog day, and they're still talking about the same stuff as they did from when I first attended a call about this over two weeks ago. I am determined they're not leaving the meeting tomorrow without a decision. :meh:

Also my previous employer reached out to ask if I wanted to come back....

Bonus: Mountains to Beach. They give the same medal for the 1/2 as for the full. :wtf:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 7:09 PM
So, are you giving any thought to your previous employer's offer?
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:40 PM
My instinct says not to go back, but there's a part of me tempted by going back to something familiar. I have not replied yet.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-12 6:06 PM
Generally, I like most marathon medals until the novelty wears off, and then they become just stuff taking up space. I don't really care at all about half-marathon or shorter race medals, the exception being a really cool one I got from the Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon in '16. It has Harriet Tubman's picture engraved on it, and the race was in her honor.:hug::cool: So when enough medals pile up, I go through them and pick out the ones I don't care about (which by that time are most of them) and send them to a charity that refurbishes them for kids that finish their chemotherapy treatments. I do save the ones that have some meaning to me- my first marathon (Buffalo, '05), all my Boston medals, my PR marathon (B&A '12), and a few that I think are unique- the Buffalo '15 medal is a buffalo:laugh:, and one of the STM marathon medals has a rainbow ribbon.:hug: The ones I keep are on a medal holder that says "Finish Strong" in my treadmill room in the basement. One, from RRAZ '08 is in a frame with the bib from that race, which is signed by Frank Shorter.:happy:

6 miles this morning. My pace sure would not have won any medals, but my effort might have. It was brutally hot and humid at 7:30 this morning, though I'm sure nothing like the Texas peeps have had. I was going to quit at 4, but kicked myself for another 2.  Half a bagel with raspberry jalapeƱo jam for breakfast, lots of coffee, salad and eggs for dinner. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert.:grin:

Bonus: June 3, Ragnar Relay Pennsylvania. Each team had 12 people (or should have, we had 9:roll:), so each team got 12 medals, which all fit together like the pieces of a puzzle. When we put them all together, it said "Stronger Together." Cute idea.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:42 PM
Actually we are at "only" 90 thus far. :roll:: pbbt: A buffalo medal would be cool.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-12 7:21 PM
I really don't have attachments to medals, but I really wanted one for each state of my 50 States, enough so that Rob and I designed the medals and donated them for our state #50 so that we could get one for Washington.:laugh::blush: I do have a thing to hang up to display them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet (2.5 years and counting...: pbbt:), sthey are still in the shoebox. I really like the St George medal, but most of the medals I haven't even look at since the day I ran the marathon.

I ran 7 on the TM today. It was too hot for me to want to run outside.

Bonus: last medal was from RTB 2016
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-12 8:43 PM
I was thinking of the St. George medal, I really liked that one. I am signed up this year, let's see if I make it this time. :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-13 5:58 AM
Did the medals you and Rob designed say "Eric and Rob's 50th State!" on them?: pbbt:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Medal Mondaily