Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Trying to make it through Tuesday! (DaIlies)
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:25 AM
I really don't mind being this busy. It's better than bored or lonely.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:39 AM
Went to weight class last night. Im sure I mentioned the super tough male instructor who has really helped make this class transformative for me who had been in a bad motorcycle accident. The female instructor who has been subbing (I like her too) was there but James came in (walking with a cane). All the people clapped. He ended up teaching the class (not sure if this was planned or not) and DD got to experience his killer core workout for herself. I like him as an instructor and am glad he is doing better, but DD and were a little wierded out by some of the older females in the class who giggle and and flirt with him they are on the market. (Believe it or not Judy there are women that act like men do at your gym.:laugh:) As DD said, "What would their husbands say?" I told her she could report back to DH that I behaved myself and seriously, I'm just there do weights.:meh:

Getting ready to run 6 miles.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-13 6:12 AM
Glad the tough instructor is better now. It's great to be able to find good instructors. They give training advice that you can continue to use in your life.
Holy cow about the older women! :shocker!: Ew! Oh, I just remembered, there is a good looking guy at my gym who teaches yoga and lots of women flock to his classes. They get a little goofy about him. :laugh: I didn't like him. He got too "hands on" in class. Yes, literally. :shocker!:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-13 7:16 AM
I'm glad the instructor is back. People can be so strange.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 7:26 AM
Sounds like an amazing instructor :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:05 PM
Good to hear the injured instructor is back at least in some capacity. I hope he continues to heal. Re: the flirting, well...I have seen women be a lot more aggressive about it than men.

Did you have a good run?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:11 PM
Slow due to the humidity but it felt kind of buoyant (maybe I was floating) so I'll take it.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-13 5:44 AM
Monday I was later starting out my run, but was able to connect with some Parks people about the coyotes. They had seen the male so they are still around. Even though people have to watch their small pets more closely, the coyotes help to keep the overall balance of critters. I got in a hot but good 60 minutes and did hill work.
Today I am more prepared so I can wear ice in a neckerchief around my neck. That helps to keep me cooler and also the melting ice cools my tech shirt and keeps me cool even longer. Tech fabrics are really great. :happy:
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-13 7:15 AM
It is hard adjustment no to the heat. Ice is a good idea. I must have missed your post about the coyotes.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 7:26 AM
Are the coyotes a concern to runners? Like runningteach I think I missed the original post regarding them
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-13 11:06 AM
We have a pack of them down where I run regularly. Their den is in a fenced off space close to the river. Sunday Buddy and I are out at dawn, so we see them. They are not afraid of us, they just cross our path and go on about their business, hunting, etc. Because they kill for food, they help to keep the balance of Canada geese, etc. to more workable numbers. People in the park tend to feed the geese so they don't migrate. Then they become a problem. :roll:We runners think they are pretty cool.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-13 11:36 AM
I guess even small people are safe from being carried off.: pbbt:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 2:55 PM
I love seeing them; but DH has seen them carry off a small fluffy dog.  The owner ran with 3 dogs off leash and wasn't close to them.  DH told him that he saw the coyote get the dog and take him into the brush.  3 days later, we saw on the news that the dog made it's way home.  :shocker!::happy:

One time, in a burn area, DH was running and 12 coyotes surrounded him, running just behind him on each side of the road.  :shocker!:  Needless to say, we are a little leary of getting too close to them now!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:07 PM
I have found in Virginia that just starting off with a WET handkerchief around the neck, not even one filled with ice, helps a lot with cooling. Mine would stay wet, wicking up sweat but also providing a cooling wet layer, and it would work as long as I kept moving and sweating. Simple but so effective.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-13 7:14 AM
I did a 2 mile walk with running mixed in. It was too hot to ride my bike in the house and I needed the outside run therapy today. It is going to be scorching today. Fortunately I have ac. I thought I had a work meeting, but it was canceled so I am thrilled about that. I did not sleep well last night and am sure I will be tired by the end of the day. I went to dinner last night with friends and it was nice, although my flaky friend was there, but I am pulling back from her, which will be good.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 7:27 AM
Nice walk/run :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:14 AM
Even with people I like, I have occasionally felt the need to pull back to get out of the fray of their drama.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 7:25 AM
Personal training last night - my back is still pretty bad after 10 days so I'm going to try and get an acupuncture session at the weekend. Tonight I'm supposed to run 2 miles but there are thunderstorms forecast from exactly end-of-work time to sundown so that blows. Hopefully the forecast isn't quite right & I can get out, otherwise I'll have to psych myself up for the TM which I have a horribly low success rate on achieving :blush:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 11:10 AM
can you get a good audio book or something to help motivate for the treadmill?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 1:14 PM
I'm better with music plus TV - I've never been able to do audio books without the narrator's voice really bugging me :laugh: But it's more a comfort thing - ever since my big sciatica issue in 2015 I've found the TM to be really uncomfortable (I can't describe it any other way - it's not painful exactly, just really unpleasant). I don't know if it would get better with more time spent on it or whether this is just my new reality - I guess I need to find out since I'll be on site and have to use it all next week :meh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:14 PM
What happened to your back, Nomad?
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 4:51 PM
No idea this time around, probably a combination of bad mattress and too much running/hiking. But it's a chronic issue that comes & goes: scoliosis, sciatica & piriformis syndrome/tightness. All any doctor has ever done is put me on pain meds and I can't get narcotics at a walk-in clinic even if I wanted them so I'm a bit stuck. Hoping an acupuncture session this weekend will help plus time. It's mostly just annoying - my concern is that I go on a archaeology dig in a month's time and there is no way I can perform the physical tasks required unless this is sorted out before then.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-13 5:14 PM
Oof. :sad:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 5:36 PM
where are you going for the dig?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-13 5:46 PM
Illinois, fly into St Louis I think
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 8:43 PM
Would muscle relaxers help?  And PT?
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-14 5:48 AM
I hope you get to runand your back stops hurting.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-13 9:26 AM
I finished a 1:30 trainer ride that contained 2x15 min @Z4 (this is hard) and on the second one I really had to pull out the stops to keep it going but I managed. I also had one leg drills which I hate. Lucy used to hate them too but she has since gotten used to them since I do them once a week now :laugh: No more crazy barking and circling head when I do them : pbbt: I was going to take the kids to the pool for the first time this season but Amanda has decided she doesn't want to go because she is worried about dance this afternoon. And at first I was all, no I'm not giving into her fear but then I started thinking about her medical issue and thought maybe due to the weather (over 90, no clouds and humid and little tree cover), it might actually be a bad idea to do this today, so I'll take them thur when she doesn't have dance.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 2:50 PM
Awesome workout!  It's killing me to think of Lucy going nuts over one legged cycling!  :laugh::laugh:

I've been having nausea a lot due to the fatigue of recovery.  It's just mild, but I can see that overdoing it or the heat would make it worse.  Poor Amanda!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-13 3:37 PM
It's hard to do one leg drills to begin with, it's even harder when she would go nuts :laugh:
Yeah, the nausea gets worse, but the dizziness then ramps up which is usually something that is not an issue but gets worse with dehydration. I was in the last 15 min of class today and her room was WARM so I was glad I agreed with skipping it, because I am certain she would have had issues had she been in the sun all afternoon. I hope your nausea goes away quickly!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 4:44 PM
I hear IM CDL is doing a final run this year and then will be no more.  Have you done that one? Do you know why they are ending it?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 4:28 AM
IMCDA is ending the full. There will still be a 70.3 in the spring. the full used to be in June and was switched to Aug either last year or the year before, I forget. The reason is that registration for that race has been in decline and the chamber of commerce for the host city has not been wanting to foot the bill. I think they have to contribute $50K for the full and $25K for the 70.3. I guess they figure they aren't getting enough return on the investment. There has been talk about this for several years so it's not really a surprise. The June day was dicey for the swim (the water, not for you, but for most was too cold still at that point) which is one reason they switched months. I can't say as to what WTC had involvement/say since they were bought by a Chinese (I think) company last year and since they did, they have done a lot of closing iconic races once purchased (case in point, they bought Beach to Battleship in NC and ran it one year then closed it). So far it's been interesting to see how they are handling the races.

I had/have not done it but it, like the NC race was on my list of future I want to do races.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:19 AM
My brother's football coach (he was tough but revered) used to tell them to wait until after practice to go to the pool because they'd show up completely drained and unable to work hard.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 9:45 AM
Yoga workout before work. I did a "hip opener" class.  I appreciated that she gave a modification for pigeon so that I could do it, for the first time ever!! It is usually too hard on my knees!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 2:50 PM
:cool:  Awesome!  That one feels so good; but yes, I am holding off yoga due to knees...
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:21 AM
I think an exercise you can do is always more valuable than one you can't regardless of how beneficial the hard version is.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-13 11:21 AM
I intended to run about 6 this morning, but on the way back a road was closed for paving and I got kind lost trying to find my way around and ended up in South Nashville.  I eventually found my way back, but I think I ended up running closer to 8.5 or 9.  It was hot out this morning.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 11:25 AM
How was the concert?
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:03 PM
Concert is this evening.  I've already been in line for several hours. :laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 12:21 PM
I hope you get good "seats"
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:38 PM
One of my friends won first to the barrier (lottery where they let some of the fan club people in first) and there's only a handful of people in front of us in line, so I should have about 20k people behind me. :cool:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-13 1:04 PM
:cool:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 2:51 PM
:cool::cool:  Have fun!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-14 5:46 AM
I thought maybe you decided not to run, but saw your clarification that ypu ranfarther than 6. Glad you found your way back.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:14 PM
Did a mile of swimming this morning with Aileen, a local friend who is also a swim coach. She is trying to start a masters' swim class at her gym, and I am one of the recruits. I have never really done formal swim workouts, so it has been quite a learning experience! She is a good coach, and has corrected some of my less-than-perfect swim technique already, which is awesome. She also got me to try 100M of fly stroke this morning, which made me feel at first like a complete spaz, but then I kinda got the hang of it and it was fun. I love learning and trying new things. :happy::happy:

I was traveling this past weekend and doing a lot of walking, but also worked in a focused workout yesterday morning in which I walked a mile, interspersed with 30-sec intervals of running (yes, actual running!) and high-knees skipping. I warmed up and cooled down by running up and down a small flight of stairs. It felt SO WEIRD to be running. Felt like more of an awkward lumber, but it was actually running, and surprisingly, my knee felt better after the workout than it did before. Apparently the exercise flushed some of the last little bit of swelling out, which meant the joint was moving a lot more easily.

Tomorrow is physical therapy and weights.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-13 8:45 PM
:cool:  Nice!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-13 9:16 PM
I am glad you find swimming interesting and fun. The right instructor makes a difference.

Fast walking and running feels good when you are eager to get moving again.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Trying to make it through Tuesday! (DaIlies)