Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Tapering TUESDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 8:10 AM
Ok, I will start things today since I am not busy running. Give us your stories of good, bad, memorable tapers. Did your race results align with how you felt during the taper, or do you often feel creaky, slow, anxious, and/or doubt the sense of it all?! Plus the usual run/workout, optional food/drink/blather.

Bonus: When I was a child, running in the night, afraid of what might be....  Did you ever run at night as a kid? What about now?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 9:16 AM
I always feel like crap during taper. :laugh: My race results are all over the place so I'm not sure my taper correlates with my race performance at all. I usually feel slow, have strange taper pains happen, and then I experience mental taper madness with crazy dreams and anxiety. 3 weeks of taper always feels like a really long time to me and I am always convinced that I've lost all of my fitness during that time. My taper for Sugarloaf was 2 weeks-ish, which felt much better to me.

Run: 25 min tempo run this morning. 5 miles total on the day. It was 75* at 5am with a 66* dewpoint. :cry: I shamelessly soaked in someone's sprinklers when I was done with my run. Light stretching and maybe some yoga tonight to stretch out my right hip flexor which is making itself known. I have an old vball injury that I don't want to flare up! I'm backing off the speedwork and just running easy for the rest of the week until my 5k on Saturday. <--this is me being careful :happy:

Food/drink: we are throwing a coworker a bridal shower at lunch. I'm kind of hoping for pizza since the place we order from has this amazing veggie pizza that sounds really good right now. Lots of water to drink because of the heat and humidity.

Blather: my boss has been scatterbrained lately. He sent me a message at 10pm last night asking if I could cover a day-long meeting tomorrow. I told him I could only cover a 2-hour window, and only if it was at our office, and he proceeds to inform me that it's at the client in Delaware, and I told him I couldn't go, so he said he'd sign me up and send me the info. ??? :wtf: :roll: I reiterated that I couldn't go but I haven't heard back from him since. I think he's losing his mind. :meh:

Bonus: I don't think I ever ran at night as a kid. :wtf: I definitely do now if that's all my schedule allows or I decide to sleep in or something.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 9:40 AM
Thank you for halting the tempo and speed workouts. This should be a base phase you know, with fartleks at best for speedwork until your Chicago training starts. At least that's my humble opinion. I think short races are good too though. :happy:

I am unusual in that I often look forward to the taper as all of a sudden I feel I have more time, which is true. Mine is finally kicking in to high gear.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 10:51 AM
Chicago training has started. :roll: It's just under 17 weeks away. I totally agree that this is a base phase, and I've already talked to my coach about it. :happy:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:56 PM
Your boss:roll::roll:.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 5:58 PM
...and now I'm going to Delaware tomorrow :mutmad::meh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-14 2:47 AM
Your boss :roll::wtf:

Wave as you pass by...~2 miles south of Exit on the NJTpk if you take that.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:15 PM Edited 2017-06-13 1:20 PM
good call on the running easy. the hip flexor is a good reminder it sounds like. :happy:

is he on something? :shocker!::laugh: (just finished a book about opiate addiction in america, now i suspect everyone :roll::meh:)
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 5:59 PM
:laugh::laugh: Boss is just too busy and can't keep things straight I think!
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:01 PM
I don't even try to get up in the morning to run to beat the heat.:roll: I think running through your neighbors sprinklers sounds like fun!:laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 9:35 AM Edited 2017-06-13 9:38 AM
Bad tapers: now though it's improving. Boston 2005 was awful. Nearly cancelled my trip as I was having a lot of pain in lower legs the last 6 weeks, and running was uncomfortable to say the least. I did end up going, racing under less expectations, and while I did not go for a fast time I did not dawdle either and pretty much enjoyed the run. I took 2-3 weeks off afterwards though. JFK in 2008 was another rough taper. Of course I ran a marathon PR somewhere in the middle of that training so there was that, but for the 50 mile race I was just not energized or primed to run fast. I did finish the 50 miles but at an average time I suppose.

Good tapers: Steamtown 2005, JFK50 2007, MMT 2009, MOHICAN 2016. All good tapers with that bouncey nervous let me run energy. Most of these were all PR races for the distance at the time, some still are. MMT while my time was slower than I had planned, the weather was a huge factor and I had some magic at the end of the race. Mohican last year was just a really solid run for the distance, though I was just slightly disappointed in my last 2 loops and final time as I was right on track with my race plan for the first half of the race.

Non-workout: Dog walk this morning around the neighborhood with the missus and the beasts. Just under a mile for the short loop the missus and the old spaniel prefer. Might do some light yard work tonight followed by swim and beer hour on the back deck. I am sort of antsy to run in my newly drained knee joint but am going to hold off until I get to Ohio on Thursday and do a trail jog around my old stomping grounds. Not that I ran there as a HS punk, but we use to hike at this park swilling little kings or doing other non-government sanctioned activities.

Bonus: Ha, yes the summer of 7th grade during the streaking craze I was staying at a friend's and we made plans to try the fad one night. I don't think either of us wanted to really do it, but didn't want to chicken out first either. So we got up in the middle of the night, tiptoed down stairs of this big old creaky house where he lived in town, and did a loop around the neighboring streets. Not official streakers though as we kept on our tightie whities. Now, the few times I run at night I worry about cars/blinding headlamps if I am on the road (rarely) but in the woods I don't fear too much, though I feel like a law breaker. I'm more concerned about getting back to the trailhead and my car, and finding some scofflaws hanging out or something.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 10:53 AM
Streaker! :shocker!::laugh:

Which one was your Xtreme taper?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 2:26 PM
Boston 2005 was the xtreme taper year. That was a mess of a training cycle by the end. Raced too many half marathons.

Got some of those other years wrong. Getting old and senile.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:57 PM
Very smart to wait on the knee.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:16 PM
i was also wondering when your xtreme taper was. i always think of that one when i'm at the end of a training cycle and feeling very done with running. :blush::laugh:
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:04 PM
Don't run too soon on that knee. You don't want that fluid to come back too quickly.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-13 11:10 AM
I had a good taper for MCM in 1991.  I was training for it with 3 other guys and we did all our weekly long runs together; 4 twenty milers on 4 consecutive Sundays, ending 2 weeks before the marathon :shocker!:  Eight days before MCM there was a local 5 mile race. One of my training partners was the RD and the other 2 were volunteering at it.  I decided to race it and go for a PR.  They told me I was  nuts.  I got the 5 mile PR and another at MCM 8 days later. 
I had a bad taper for the Philly Marathon in 2007.  I was in good shape and was going to try to break 3 hours.  My F-I-L died on the Thursday before the marathon so I had to be with my wife and couldn't run it.  That 3 week taper became a 5 week taper when I found a marathon in Delaware 2 weeks after Philly.  It didn't go well & I missed my goal by over 20 minutes.

I went to the gym this morning & did core & shoulder PT exercises and then swam 1400 meters.

The first race in the series our club puts on that I RD is tonight, a 10K.  It's also the hottest day of the year so far :roll: and forecast to be 91 degrees at our 7pm start time.  There's an official "heat advisory" for today but that ends at 7pm :roll::roll:

Bonus:  I didn't run at night as a kid.  As an adult I'd run every Thursday night, all year long.  So, some of that was in the dark.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 12:59 PM
Your weather sounds like how it was for a Dallas evening race series we all used to love to hate!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 2:29 PM
That's a bad taper for sure in 2007. :sad:

Hey, at least no storms tonight!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-13 2:51 PM
Hey, at least no storms tonight!   SHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:05 PM
It didn't seem as humid today, but I wasn't outside too much.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-13 11:59 AM
Worst taper-induced dream: I was heading down the final stretch of the NJ Marathon, BQ time in hand with a minute or two to spare. Then a burly security guard jumped out of the crowd and restrained me. I tried to wriggle free but couldn't. I tried to tell him he had the wrong person but he wasn't listening. I watched helplessly as my BQ time ticked by on the clock. Then I woke up and was relieved that it was just a dream. A few days later I finally got my BQ (10 marathons and 9 years in the making). Whew.

After 3 consecutive weekends of racing (10K and then two 5Ks), I'm "tapering" this week for the family reunion 5K this weekend. Hey man, 2 years' worth of bragging rights are on the line! I have to see if I can hold off the younger generation once again.

5.6 easy miles this morning.

Bonus: I used to run in the evenings in the summer as a teen. Daily routine - work 7-3:30, come home, lay out in the sun for an hour or two, eat dinner, try to digest dinner, run around 8:00 p.m. Lots of assues back then.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 1:02 PM
That 5K sounds VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:08 PM
I always look forward to this 5k report! :grin::mischief:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 2:30 PM
Sorry, no BQ for you!!  :laugh:

Good luck with the family race this weekend. I'd win by default in my family!
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-13 3:40 PM
I'll easily win my generation. It's the young punks (cousins' kids) who might give me a run for the money.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:07 PM
Good luck racing the youngsters. Make sure you remind them to respect their elders!: pbbt:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:08 PM
I'm always really glad once taper has started. I'm usually needing the break by then. I always feel creaky and slow and have a hard time motivating for runs in general at that point. At that point, it doesn't seem to matter if i run a couple extra miles or not. I've tried 2 and 3 week tapers. More aggressive ones or not. Doesn't seem to matter too much either way. I'm not anxious but just have a resigned sense of dread. :roll: i guess race results always align with taper then.  :meh:

another day off. :grin: i slept really well too. My quads are ridiculously sore but overall i feel less foggy. I wanted to walk down the pike street market for a few things we get there but i think it's too far to walk still.  :laugh: I am going up and down the stairs at work. Down is comical. Up is ok just slow. 

bonus: that song was on my playlist for the marathon sunday. it's a favorite. :hug: I run in the dark about half the year but since i run first thing in the morning, i don't think of it as night. :wtf: I didn't run as a kid.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 1:19 PM
Going down the stairs post marathon is almost as bad as trying to get off the toilet!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:21 PM
we put in grab bars in our bathroom in the shower and by the toilet. they were for dh's father in law but we love them!  :laugh: :brilliant:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-13 6:02 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 2:32 PM
Wow, that downhill course really got you for some reason. :shocker!:

Surprised anyone knew the song honestly. A friend of mine bought me the CD way back when, sort of out of my regular genre, but it's one of my favorites and I pull it out now and did so recently. So much texture and sound.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 3:20 PM
hounds of love? big sky is another favorite. actually i love that whole album including the transition from jig of life to mother earth.

i'm surprised too. i did training for the downhill. i think it's becuase i haven't been on trails in forever. I plan on fixing that soon!  :grin:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:10 PM
Enjoy the down time. I always found the week after a marathon was guilt-free sloth-dom!:laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 8:08 PM
i am loving it!  :grin::laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 1:15 PM
I rarely think about the taper now except that I usually look forward to it so I can sleep more.  I'm sure I have had good and bad ones which have both correlated or not to how my races went. :grin: I do recall that I was very anxious during the taper for my 50 miler last fall. Physically, I never felt recovered from the 50K I ran three weeks prior as a training run. Mentally, I never felt confident I could complete the mileage.

It was totally gross this morning as it was 80 at 5:30 when I headed out.  I planned on my typical, Tuesday 10 miler, but my lack of acclimation to the Wall Of Death, had me cut it short to only 8 miles.  I will go to boxing class tonight.  Egg for breakfast and some sort of spinach & sweet potato thing for lunch. 

Blather: I finally booked my flight to Portland for next month's marathon and that was NOT a cheap flight!  Luckily, we had points on our Visa I could use so it didn't cost me cash, but I used 2/3 of the points we had and I suspect blazerman will be irritated by this:roll:. For the four flights I have booked for the four marathons I have run or have on the calendar for this year, I think I have only spent about $450 in aggregate for all four flights.....I think that is very good! 

Bonus:  Up until 2008, when I became a morning runner, I almost always ran at night.  Now, I never run at night.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 1:19 PM
that oregon race looks fantastic! i was looking at it but it's the week after ragnar.  :sad:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 1:19 PM
There is a half and quarter race!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-13 2:34 PM
You need to focus on the beer for your Portland trip. :grin:

I have not had many hot short soaking runs this year and that's the weather I am getting this weekend.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-13 2:59 PM
I think I have only spent about $450 in aggregate for all four flights.....I think that is very good!    For the Triathlon I did a week & half ago it cost me $320 just for the entry fee & one night in a motel :cry:   + some gas and a few bucks on tolls.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:11 PM
Which race in OR? Are you going to make a trip to the coast? It is worth it!:wink:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 8:10 PM
We are running the Oregon Marathon.....it is a point to point on a rail trail in the forest outside of Portland. Due to the differing arrival times of our crew and limited days we are there, probably won't have time to get to the coast.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-13 4:36 PM
I love taper. :lazy: And when my taper has not gone well, life before Boston last year where I felt tired a lot, I had a bad race. I do have taper anxiety dreams, but I have them for work stuff as well.

Run: was three miles. First with the pup. Then second mile met a neighbour who found a little pup running around. And then on the way back stopped again to chat with same neighbour again about the dog. : pbbt:

Came home early because I felt crappy - literally. Stupid salad. I feel better now that it has all exited. :roll:

Bonus: No, I don't think I ran at night as a child. Now it's more late evening, especially in the winter. I like running at night, but safety is a bigger concern of course. And the nighttime legs during RtB are always amazing.
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:12 PM
Glad you feel better. :)
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 8:07 PM
evidently the salad is the danger item at my mom's residence's dining hall as well. :shocker!::sad:

i have never ever come across a loose dog when running here. why does it happen so often there? :wtf:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-13 7:18 PM
I recall formal tapers only a few times when I was training for a target race. I would have stress dreams about being unprepared. A few times I also had phantom pains, probably a result of too much pressure on myself.:blush:

Run: 7mi TM
Food: quesadilla, iced tea

Bonus: I ran in the late evening in the summers when I was in high school. I always hated running in the heat. Now I always run in the dark in the winter if I run outside. Since I rarely run more than an hour, I usually opt for the TM rather than brave excessive heat or cold.:laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-13 8:11 PM
i rarely have dreams about running and when i do, i always love them because regardless of what craziness is happening surrounding a race dream, the actually running part always feels great in the dream.  :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-13 8:12 PM
You are making feel better I don't really think about the taper. Since I don't really have "target races", I don't really care!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Tapering TUESDAILY