Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wake Up Wednesday RR
- - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-14 4:56 AM
What are you doing today?
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2017-06-14 5:01 AM
I did not want to wake up this morning. There was a storm last night, but it is still muggy to me. Temps are going to go down though, which is good. I did a little under 2 miles of walking and running. My butt didn't get out the door in time for a full 2 miles. Tonight I have my work's end of the year/retirement dinner. I like everyone, but I would rather go home and put pjs on. It throws off my schedule, so now tomorrow I am working extra after school. Yesterday I asked for an increase in my rate of pay at my agency job. The director is looking into it for me, so fingers crossed.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 7:35 AM
Good luck with the pay raise....and yay for beating the bed magnet!
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 7:57 AM
Storms here too - I went to bed with lightning flashing through the window - kinda cool but not conducive to a good night's sleep

I hope you enjoy tonight despite yourself...and that the pay rise gets approved :hug:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-14 8:10 AM
I hope you get the pay rise!
And completely know the feeling about attending the dinner. Even when the company is liked, it is exhausting to be 'on' and with people when the alternative is home and comfortable.
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:51 AM
:Fingers crossed:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:24 AM
Sometimes a celebration can be inconvenient.:laugh:

Good luck with the pay increase!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-14 5:04 AM
Tuesday it was really sunny and in the low 90’s out on the trail. I wore the ice in the neckerchief and it helped a lot. The Evil Hill was in shade so that helped me do it 3 times.
Today I’m off early to the trail. It gets hot early here so I’m off quickly. More later.
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 7:36 AM
Even with the heat, I am envious of your run today, Judy. Sounds like a good workout. :happy:
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 8:04 AM
Glad the ice neckerchief helped, hope it does again today :happy:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-14 8:10 AM
A run before the heat sets in is smart. Enjoy.
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:50 AM
Ahhhh iced nerkerchief
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-14 9:39 AM
I love your battle with the Evil Hill. Sounds like the Evil Hill wasn't up to its full game today, so you won, three times over!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:25 AM
Glad you are getting out there early. Beat the heat!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 7:49 AM
Physical therapy appointment today, but I think today's appointment is only a half-hour, so I may hit the gym afterward. I swam yesterday, but also used the walk out to the mailbox (which is like, 0.3 mile each way?) to do some 30-sec running and high-knee skipping intervals. It's pretty cool to feel how quickly my muscles and strength are responding to even this kind of slow, deliberate build-up. A recent study found that well-trained muscles really DO rebound faster after lay-offs and injuries. It has to do in part with the fact that heavily-used muscles in well-trained athletes develop more cell nuclei; those nuclei both support and help drive the development of the muscle tissue. Which is cool, because re-building after injury will never be as hard as building up for the first time, right? :grin:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 8:05 AM
I'm really impressed with your recovery - both that you're doing it and that you're not doing too much :laugh: How's the new geographical location working out for you otherwise?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 9:00 AM
What? Like I'd ever overdo it? Please... : pbbt::blush::laugh:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-14 8:11 AM
Agreed, very impressed with your recovery. You are gaining so much strength :cool:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 9:06 AM
It is coming back fast, which is fascinating to experience. Each new stage brings a feeling of lightness and freedom...the "YAY!" factor, you could call it. (Tritri gets this, I am sure!) Like, just being able to get both feet up off the floor when moving feels so amazing when you've had to be careful to NOT jump or run for months. Running up steps again instead of clomping carefully upstairs hanging onto the bannister. Being able to squat to look at a wildflower without it involving 47 different maneuvers to get down and then back up. : pbbt:
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:50 AM
It IS cool that you can feel the difference!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:32 AM
I had a tough time coming back from my injuries. I  found recovery not to be linear at all and that compensatory aches and pains were very very discouraging. I'm glad you are feeling the difference, just want to say that coming back from or trying to work around  an injury can be a very different experience even if a person was in good shape. I think an injury that happened suddenly may be easier than an overuse injury that results from a gradual breakdown of one part of the body.

Good luck on your recovery.:cool:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 7:55 AM
Total bust on the TM run last night but not for the expected reasons :roll: I got there, got changed & my back cooperated...but as soon as I got on the TM my foot cramped up. I got off 2-3 times and stretched, changed redid my shoe laces etc. but my foot was having none of it - no matter how quickly it released off the TM, as soon as I started running it cramped up again. :sad:  I've had a lot of issues with muscle cramps recently which are probably caused by thyroid issues (my last test had my TSH at 61 so my meds have been increased & I'm trying to be better with eating low carb/no starches) but this is the first time it's forced me to halt a workout - of course it's also the first time in months I've used the TM.

I only plan to run 4x a week with a stretch goal of 5x so I'm not too worried about missing last night. And worst case next week on site I can run on the indoor track as all the mid-week runs are 2-2.5 miles which isn't impossible at 15 circuits to a mile.

Anyway, tonight is run club if I can leave work early enough, followed by personal training :happy:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-14 8:11 AM
Sorry to hear about the back being difficult. I've been absent for a while - did anything in particular happen?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 8:17 AM
Nothing acute, just a period of work stress what meant little exercise followed by a week in AZ of too much lying around on a bad mattress plus a sudden uptick in exercise. It's gradually getting better and I have an acupuncture session booked for Saturday.

Tritri - I just saw you asked about muscle relaxers and PT - I have some PT exercises that I don't do as often as I should :blush: but no doctor has ever suggested muscle relaxers. I think long term my strength training will really help but as I noted Monday with my trainer: it's frustrating to know you need to strengthen your core when those exercises currently aggravate the pain
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:49 AM
I didn't know that thyroid issues were associated with muscle cramps, ugh.  Interrupted workouts are so frustrating.  Hoping run group goes well tonight :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 9:09 AM
The thyroid and parathyroid both regulate calcium, among other things. Too little calcium can cause bad cramps; too much can also cause cramps, as well as spasms and muscle weakness.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 9:29 AM
Yep. I'm beginning to suspect that my belief that my thyroid was under control because the annual lab tests had numbers in the 'right' range so my meds weren't changed was bullshit. The high TSH reading gave me a wake up call that a lot of my niggles could be associated with it (although my calcium levels are also within range) so I'm on a track to clean up my eating and increase both Vit D and B12 as well as take my T4 & T3 every single day. I think I got a bit blase after 10 years of no major issues
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 2:45 PM
Yeah, you have to keep track of that stuff because your body changes as you get older, and therefore the balance of everything changes. I am glad you are working on it. :hug:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 9:26 AM
You would not believe the list of things the thyroid can affect. I was shocked when I was doing research last month into my issues. Nearly EVERY single issue I have could be a symptom of that yet not one dr has said oh hey, maybe you are on too low a dose :meh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 9:25 AM
Ugh thyroid :cry::hug:I feel your pain. Have you noticed a difference since your dosages changed? So far the only difference I've noticed is that I am not waking up feeling fatigued. So that's a plus. I did get a foot cramp swimming today. And I have had the leg cramps on my brick runs, not solo runs. I didn't attribute that to thyroid but to sitting funny on my bike?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 9:33 AM
Not really. But then the new dosage also coincided with my work stress reducing. I still feel a bit 'hungover' all the time & have trouble waking up even when I seem to have slept enough. But I think I need to keep on the low carb, Vit D/B12 supplement, increased T4 regime for a month before making any pronouncements. I would like to talk to my doc later about decreasing T4 but increasing T3 as that's one recommendation from the hashi's book I've been reading

I put the cramping down to low Mg but there has been a reduction in that since my T4 dosage was increased (and I haven't been taking Mg supplements) so I'm confident saying the cramps are Thyroid related
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-14 9:38 AM
15 lap track. Oy!

Sorry your foot is hurty. I don't think I knew cramps and thyroid were related. The only real thyroid symptoms I've ever had were feeling cold and having my hair fall out. :roll:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:41 AM
I used to listen to music on the indoor track. Made the time go by. I found indoor tracks with stuff going on in the middle was better than one where there was nothing to look at.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2017-06-14 8:13 AM
No RR stuff unfortunately. Having major health issues and so have been unable to take any form of exercise. :sad: Having several procedures and surgery in the next few days/weeks with an extended period of hospital/home recovery, so it looks like nothing from me on the RR activity until the autumn. Blarg.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-14 8:14 AM
Sorry to hear that mg - I hope this at least fixes the issues :sad:
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:47 AM
Oh no, mg, I'm so sorry!  I remember how you struggle to maintain your fitness.  I'm thinking of you.  :hug: ETA:  and wish I lived closer so I could help!
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-14 8:53 AM
Hey mg. Sending you hugs and good thoughts for a speedy recovery from your procedures/surgery! Is your family able to come down and be with you?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 9:09 AM
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this! Do you have someone there to help you with the hospitalization/recovery?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 9:23 AM
Oh no :sad: I'm sorry. Hoping for a speedy recovery on all fronts :hug:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-14 9:36 AM
I've been wondering where you've been.  Sorry to hear you aren't doing well physically. Do you need anything?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-14 8:44 PM
I'm sorry you have had the major health issues and send prayers for your healing to be rapid and complete. Please keep us informed. :hug::hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-14 9:47 PM
:hug::hug: Hope for best and speediest outcomes for you.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:41 AM
:sad:
Parent - - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-14 8:16 AM
power was reconnected late last night.  I'm hoping that this is now a permanent fix.
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:46 AM
Oh no.  I hope you're all cool & comfortable!
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-14 9:53 PM
Hey, in answer to your question from forever ago, I"m not sure why roofers make so much more than plumbers. Might have something to do with scaffolding? Apparently that is a huge thing here. Whenever you have anything done on your house, the biggest expense is scaffolding, and there is a major shortage in people licensed to scaffold, and you have to rent the scaffolding for the duration of the work.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:43 AM
:shocker!: wow. I had not considered the scaffolding to be the critical factor, though I did think it may be the added liability of working at height.  Similar to the confined space rules.  In the US, any work in a "confined space" will earn you a premium, because you need to be OSHA-certified to enter the confined space (another certification and regular refresher classes).
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-14 8:46 AM
Hi, friends.  Checking in from the land of humidity.  We had a bad storm yesterday and my yard is still swamp. My poor little raised bed garden is toast, too.  I got 3 tomatoes and 4 cucumbers this year- oh well. 

I went to step class last night and am headed to barre this afternoon.  Tomorrow is another barre with another friend!  She's a pilates teacher and says I'll like the OTHER barre better, so I'm interested to see how different it can be.

I'm *still* waiting on confirmation of my teaching position.  Apparently the dean of the school is new and both he and the asst. dean are out of town, sigh.  I've been working lots and trying to get some stuff published.  Trying work, but I'd better do it now rather than wrestle with it and try to teach, too.

Going now to read and catch up on how everyone has been doing~
LP
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 9:21 AM
I swam 2650 yards lots of fast/mod paced stuff. My left shoulder was hurty though. I am supposed to run today however tomorrow is an off day and I have to take the kids for hair cuts and whatnot so I think I'll do the run tomorrow instead.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-14 9:42 AM
It is great that you have the flexibility to move around workouts. Does that impact your recover to move a run to a different day?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 12:25 PM
No because this week is a light week and friday is a swim day. Normally I cycle Tue and Thur so it would be an issue.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2017-06-14 9:41 AM
Half hour easy in the pool today. I worked on flip turns, which was fun! I put my hair up in a pony tail under my cap. When I took it off to shower, purple went EVERYWHERE. I hadn't thought that through. I hope I wasn't leaving a purple cloud behind me in the pool. :blush:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-14 12:27 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I'm envisioning a squid-like cloud : pbbt: I've never noticed the color bleeding like that but I also wash my hair every day and usually workout that day after having color done so the big color wash never happens like that. I think a lot has to do with who washes the color at the salon as well. I've had some take more time with it so that it doesn't bleed like that and others that don't take the time.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 2:54 PM
Newsflash: I can still do handstand pushups. Bwahahahaha!

(Kinda pleased with myself about that.)
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-14 7:42 PM
:shocker!::cool:

I never will. After breaking my arm, some muscles never quite came back right. My arm is pretty unbalanced. Seems like certain muscles are just slow to react. Is there some scientific explanation for it? I notice it when I try to cut bread for example. Left - formerly broken - arm holding the bread and I actually have to pause for a sec when changing the direction of the knife so the right muscles can engage to hold the loaf in place.  :wtf:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-06-14 8:27 PM
:cool::cool:
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-14 9:14 AM
In at work for a little bit, then heading to the OC for a renewal presentation, having lunch with SIL afterwards, then heading home. I am not coming back to the office and then fighting traffic out of downtown. The OC is bad enough.

RR: 4 this morning. Got to the post office. STILL do not have a replacement debit card. It has been six weeks now. Another call...:mutmad:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-14 2:48 PM
WTF on the debit card???
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-14 10:39 PM
Lost credit card May 1st. Called credit union. They cancelled both cards. Said they'd send replacements. Allow 7-10 business days.

May 20, no cards. Contacted CU. Replacements had never been ordered. Said they'd order and send. They offered to express them but nobody was likely to be home to accept them.

June 5, got credit card. Activated it. Contacted CU to ask about debit card. Should be arriving shortly. Mailed on the 30th.

June 14, no card. Contacted CU. It was mailed. No attempt to activate. Apparently lost. Cancelled that card and ordered another debit card.

Another 7-10 days.

I have two checking accounts at different institutions, therefore two debit cards. Good thing I do. This would be a long time to be writing checks for more than the register amount at the grocery store to get cash back, or having to get to the CU during working hours.
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:46 AM
I had a debit card for the scoutlette troop account expire in October.  I never received replacements (or my co-leader never received them, she may have overlooked the unlabeled mail).   In December, I had them cancel the replacement and re-send new ones.  No cards arrived.  In February, same drill.  Same result.   In April, I phoned and had them cancel the replacements again.  In May, I went in person and happened upon the actual person who prints the cards - she was able to print one on the spot for me.  

All that time, I had no access to the account, save cash withdrawals.  I was floating $$$ on my own for the troop, until my co-leader could cut a check for me in May. :meh:

We've never figured out what happened to the cards, they were never used or registered, no fraud occurred.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Wake Up Wednesday RR