Up Topic Communities / Women / June TTC/Preggo/PP
- - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 10:20 AM
:cool:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 10:20 AM
TTC
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 10:20 AM
Preggo
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-19 6:47 PM
We had a good ultrasound at the RE's office last week! I am 7 weeks tomorrow, I think. I am starting to feel pretty sick too and my boobs are getting bigger, so things are all going in the right direction! Due date will be Feb 7, 2018. :hug: I go back next week for another ultrasound. I'm on progesterone support and still taking the baby aspirin, so maybe something is helping.
Parent - By happysnappy (full of awesome) [us] Date 2017-06-19 7:27 PM
Great news! All the sticky and growing vibes going out!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-20 5:56 AM
great news!!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-20 7:21 AM
Hope things continue to head in that direction for you all.  Will the RE turn you over to your regular OB at 12 weeks or will you continue with them a bit longer?
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:01 AM
They said they'll do whatever I'd like, pretty much. But yeah, it seems like the regular OB will take over around 12 weeks. So I go for another ultrasound this week and then I think I'll ask for another at 10 weeks I think.
They are really awesome about the early monitoring, that makes me feel a lot better.
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-28 10:40 AM
after my loss at 12 weeks last time, this time I had an US at 6 w and 9 weeks.  Helped alleviate my fears a lot.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-20 8:39 AM
:grin::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-28 10:15 AM
Everything continues to look good. We had another u/s this morning. Measuring perfectly on schedule. RE referred me to MFM for my NT scan/testing, so I "graduated" from the RE today!
I feel pretty crappy today b/c E was up from 10pm-3am ready to party. I have no idea what is up with this kid. Hopefully he takes a big fat nap, I'm about to lay down and try to rest too.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-30 1:01 AM
Yay! Congrats on your graduation!:hug:

What's up with E? Hope you got a nap in. :happy:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-30 6:36 AM
:cool::cool: for graduation. Notsomuch for midnight party animal
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-01 9:08 AM
yay! great news!  Sorry about E's sleep woes.  Ugh, crappy sleep is just a fact of life with parenting.  Sucks.  P is beyond insane these days, oh well!  We'll do well for a few weeks, then revert to crap.  Ha.
Parent - - By happysnappy (full of awesome) [us] Date 2017-06-19 7:31 PM
25 weeks today. Mostly things have been pretty good. Started having a little bit of foot swelling last week. Got my first cold while pregnant and have been pretty miserable since . Laid out of work a half day Friday and all day today and all I can think is that's 12 more hours I won't get a paycheck go while on maternity leave. :meh:

Otherwise - really need to motivate and figure out daycare wait list (the daycare across the street from work is closing and throwing all the waits awry), and really any prep at all. Sister in law was horrified this weekend that I've done so little to prepare. Oy. Not like I have a road map for any of this.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-20 5:57 AM
25 weeks wow time is flying. If it makes you feel better I didn't prepare very well either :laugh: But it all worked out.

I had a lot of foot swelling too and it was not fun. I wish I had some ideas for relief but I never found anything other than trying to keep them propped up
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-20 7:22 AM
NOt preparing I think is more individual as far as room, diapers, etc goes.  It never bothered me if I was a little late.  Daycare is probably the only thing I'd make sure ot find a new list ASAP unless daycare is readily available there. 

Sorry on the maternity leave.  I've never had short term disability or an employed w/ paid maternity leave so often had to go unpaid or use up little vacaiton I had left.  It sucks and I hope you feel better soon.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-20 8:40 AM
ugh, colds while preggo are HORRIBLE.
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-20 10:58 AM
When I was pregnant with my first we redid the flooring in the upstairs (like me and my hubby did it, no contractor) and replaced baseboards, and trim.  We started when I was 8 months pregnant :O.  I think we didn't actually have the crib set up in the nursery until 2 days before my due date and half the stuff I got at my shower my dad and step mom brought with them the night before I got induced.  you are 25 weeks, you have lots of time to get ready for the baby.  I'm 15 weeks and honestly haven't even started thinking about it.  I got out the maternity clothes last week and there were a couple of sleepers hidden in the box, so those are in the babies room and that is it.

For feet swelling, I found an ice bath for my feet made my feet feel better, not sure it did anything for the swelling though.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-23 4:20 PM
Yay for 25 weeks! Ugh on the cold. You're stuffy enough already (not you personally, happysnappy, your nose!) without having it worse because of a cold.

There aren't many things you need for the first few months, Buy Buy Baby and Babies R Us notwithstanding. A place for the baby to sleep, a car seat, plenty of diapers, and a few outfits are the most necessary items, at least if you are planning to breastfeed. You probably have paper towels and washcloths already.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2017-06-23 5:45 PM
Don't forget about loading up on laundry detergent. Babies = lots of laundry! :laugh::cry:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-30 6:37 AM
omg yes, I mean he has a ton of clothes but when they are constantly covered in poop and then they sit in said poop in a bag all day at daycare I feel like I have to wash it that night so I'm doing laundry all. the. time.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:10 AM
I agree other stuff can wait, but day care is super important. (around here at least)
It worked out well for me though to try to have a bunch of stuff before the baby came, because I was a complete wreck after, for longer than I expected!
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-20 11:03 AM
So maybe I'll post instead of just lurking here.  I'm 15 weeks today.  last time I posted I think I was 6 weeks and asking for tips on how to train through the first trimester in order to be able to do a sprint tri this past weekend..  laughable now!  fatigue kicked me in the butt big time.  my time to workout is after my 4 year old goes to bed.  around 6 weeks we got in the bad habit of me laying down with him until he falls asleep.  Combined with the fact that he is gearing up to completely drop his nap, but still naps at daycare, he hasn't been falling asleep until 9 pm, and I often fall alseep with him.  I've been trying to still get a few workouts in a week.  On the weekends I'm biking on Saturdays and running on sundays and on Wednesday, I try to get out of the office early enough for a ride, but it isn't going so well.  Now that I'm into the second trimester, fatigue is starting to get better, so I might try to fit a couple of mid-week runs in (either early morning or at lunch time). Last sumemr I tried to swim at an outdoor pool on fridays at lunch, so maybe I'll try that out again and see if I can at least keep up some level of activity in the second trimester.
Parent - By happysnappy (full of awesome) [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:42 PM
Yay for 15 weeks. :). Yeah that early fatigue is rough stuff!
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-06-23 6:58 PM
So you're expecting another one? Cool! :grin::hug:
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:09 AM
I'm trying to do some exercise too but for me it is the nausea. :mutmad: Today I felt better so I did a bike ride this morning, nothing major but about 10 miles, so not too bad. I really really want to get a couple of runs in though. The best time for me is 6:30-7:30am when I wake up but before DH leaves for work. I've been feeling so shitty though, there is no way. Since today was better, I might set out my running gear tonight in hopes I can do it tomorrow.

I think "some level of activity" is a great goal!
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-28 10:46 AM
My hubby leaves for work between 6 am and 7 am so morning workouts are difficult unless I get up at 5 am.
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-22 11:40 AM
Had a doctors appointment this morning and got to hear the babe's heart beat for the first time.  That made me feel great :)

Last time I didn't run any past 20 weeks.  I'm hoping to run longer this time, but my shorts are starting to not fit anymore.  What have you all done for running shorts/skirts during pregnancy?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-22 2:37 PM
I biked more than ran during pregnancy, but I pulled the shorts waistband down below my belly and wore a big shirt.

I'd suggest going for shorts or skirts with drawstrings so you can adjust the waist and tighten the waistband.

It is annoying how much earlier you pop out with the second child.
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-23 5:56 AM
I'm about the same size now at 15 weeks as I was at 20 weeks last time.  Not too bad but definitely bigger.  Maybe my main problem is that my shirts are all compression styke tri shorts.   I'll try to pick up some xl running shirts with a draw string.  Last time I biked until 34 weeks but after that the tribute geometry got too uncomfortable.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-23 8:30 AM
I just bought bigger sizes of my normal kinds of shorts (I actually preferred to run in the compression ones and I just pulled them up as best as I could). and then for shirts I actually found tank tops at Walmart for about $5 that were in the regular section (non maternity) but fit very big and had drawstrings on the side for cinching so it was perfect for maternity. I also had a couple of dri fit shirts my husband couldn't wear that I would also wear.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-23 11:17 AM
DSBF describes Walmart as "fluffy friendly" and he's right.
Parent - By happysnappy (full of awesome) Date 2017-06-23 2:50 PM
Zulily.com has a maternity workout wear sale up now.  Not sure if it's on the front page - if not click on baby/maternity category and you'll find it.
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:06 AM
I did the same, just got a couple of pairs of cheap shorts in bigger sizes.
Parent - - By happysnappy (full of awesome) [us] Date 2017-06-23 7:22 PM
So the tail end of week 25 is super uncomfortable.  Belly feels so tight - definitely some growth spurt growing on - the stretching isn't feeling good. And my crotch is achy - is it my pubic symhasis? My cervix? Gah.

Cold symptoms are waning but still coughing and short of
Breath fairly often - and should
Own stock in a tissue company!

Going to tour a new birthing center that opens this week - open house is tomorrow. BFF is going to go to babies r us to finish up registry with me after. DH is out of town for a work conference so I'm taking advantage of the couch right now. The week wore me out!
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear about the cold. :cry: Do you neti pot? Breathe strips for bedtime? Humidifer?  I know your symptoms are better, but just in case you get another! Those were my go-to's.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-26 6:29 AM
oh no that stinks about the cold. My OB office was pretty lax when it came to using cold meds which was good, I know others pretty much said no to all meds.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-25 11:05 AM
Thank goodness for the search function on Runango!
I documented how I felt pretty consistently with my first pregnancy, which I'm finding super helpful today. I woke up actually feeling decent. Slight nausea, but not the heavy cloud of it that I've been muddling through for a couple of weeks. Seems like when I was pregnant with E, weeks 6 and 7 were the worst. It still happened some after that but got much better. I was kind of worrying about feeling so good of course, but reading what happened then is reassuring. So weird this is going pretty much the same as with him.
I go for another ultrasound this weekend, I'm very excited to see how things are going. Still nervous.
We're telling some people, mostly my friends/family that I would tell if I miscarry again, and they are the ones that know about my losses. We'll wait to tell the masses after first tri.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-26 6:27 AM
Definitely good and reassuring to be able to search from E's pregnancy and see how it matches up. Good luck with the ultra sound!
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 10:20 AM
PP
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 10:21 AM
Help! B suddenly hates the car seat. It started Saturday and I thought it was just a fluke but it wasn't. Anytime I've driven more than about 15 min he starts screaming....and doesn't stop. Best I can guess is some sort of separation anxiety because he can't see me. Any suggestions? Car rides were my go to on the weekends if he needed a cat nap and I needed to run errands -- I can't lose that!
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-14 11:53 AM
Mirror so he can see a little up front?

Photo of you taped below the mirror?

Radio?  toys attached to the car seat?

Benadryl?  Kidding.  Sort of.

:hug:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 1:47 PM
I do have a mirror and I've put my hand back and waved before so he knows I'm there.  He has a toy and will play for a bit but then gets mad and starts flinging it around (though never lets go....yet).  I turn the radio up to drown him out, does that count :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-14 2:46 PM
Not judging your creative use of the radio.  A momma has to do what a momma has to do!

Signed,
Looked Up What Volume Level Would Hurt a Kids Eardrums
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 7:00 PM
Don't worry it wasn't really that loud. I actually hate loud music
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:04 AM
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had it up too loud, only that I'd looked it up because turning up the radio was how I got through some hellacious commutes with a screaming child.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-14 1:28 PM
Definitely a mirror! Something fun with lights/toys hanging from it or a mobile hanging from it.
is he big enough to hold a toy back there too? I'm not sure how old he is!
Now that E is older, he loves reading books while we're in the car.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-14 1:48 PM
6.5 months :shocker!::shocker!:  The mirror is just basic although I've heard there are ones with lights/sounds/music so maybe I need to look into something more fun
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-14 10:34 PM
It may be that he knows the car lulls him to sleep and doesn't want to sleep because he might miss something. DD had the same reaction to the swing at about 7-7.5 months when she realized that the swing made her sleepy.

Not sure what to do about it other than give him things to look at or play with. We found Cheerio necklaces worked well for car trips. Take a 24" length of dental floss, thread it through a tapestry needle, and start threading Cheerios onto the floss. A bit like those candy necklaces we had as kids. Once you have the floss well Cheerio'd with about 2" at each end, tie it off and let him have it. He can sit there and nom nom nom the Cheerios without dropping them and it's dental floss, not as easy to chew through and swallow as thread would be.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-15 8:23 AM
Fighting sleep could be it too
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-15 5:05 AM
We always had a mirror...mini always just liked looking out the window. Books, a special toy for the car, and CDs of his songs kept him occupied. But we also didn't really have very long car rides.
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2017-06-15 12:11 PM
My son was the same way from about 8 months or so on.  If he was tired he would sleep but if not he would cry.  He he would cry for up to 3 hour car rides, it was awful.   The minute we turned him around it stopped instanteously.  My best guess was that he was getting motion sickness.  Sorry I don't have any advice.   I know in the us you have to rear face until 2 years.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-15 1:10 PM

>He he would cry for up to 3 hour car rides

:shocker!::shocker!::cry::cry:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-16 7:39 AM Edited 2017-06-16 7:43 AM
Yep, although my son screamed from newborn age on.  Trying to visit family an 8 hour drive away included many stops as he'd have screamed entire way.  A larger car seat helped to some extent (he HATED the click in type mostly due to shape, his placement in it, and how confined he felt.)

ETA - States differ on ages.  Like my state is at least 1 YO and 20 lbs before you can forward face but the AAP says should stay rear until 2 and/or as long as car seat allows (based on weight/height)
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-23 11:18 AM
I suspect that the AAP might change their stance if their members had to do a lot of driving with a howling almost-2-year-old protesting having to stare at the backrest of the back seat when all the action is up front.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-15 7:37 PM
Question about nighttime toilet training? Mini has been pretty much totally trained during the day for over a year now. That's including naps - I can't remember the last time he had an accident. He still wears a diaper at night though. The last couple of weeks he's been asking to go diaperless at night too. Problem is, he still very much pees and poops at night. Sleep poops seem weird to me so I've asked him if he does that when he's awake or asleep. He said when he's sleeping but I'm not sure. I've also told him he can call us to help him at night if he wants to go. But he sleeps pretty soundly so that's never happened.
So what happens next? Do we go diaperless and hope after a few accidents he starts to learn to get up? We wake him up to take him? I remember having to do that for my little bro when we were little. I told mini we'll go shopping for more mattress covers so now he's waiting for that. Peeing is one thing though...poop sheets are not something I want to deal with. : pbbt:

Any advice
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-16 7:38 AM
I'm not sure I have anything too useful.  Both my girls were in full-time underwear by 3.  I do know it's still VERY typical to have overnight peeing happen at mini's age.  I will say that I did adjust DD2's schedule (I don't remember enough about DD1 as she's so old now!).  So I had her do a lot of her drinking earlier in the day and sort of limited how much she drank a few hours before bed.  This completely helped w/ going to undies from pull-ups at night.  Does he take water or anything to bed?  I might try to change that as well if he does.  As far as pooping, how often does he go?  More htan once daily?  That could be hard to change and I totally know what you mean about cleaning up poopy room/sheets is a lot worse, not to mention often resulting in a bath in the morning.  Again, I think some of it could be schedule driven like maybe changing eating times, types of foods eaten at what times druing the day, etc.  Maybe have him be physically active late afternoon so he goes before bed?  If he goes multiple times/day, I'm not sure he might be physically ready for it.  Would he be open to maybe wearing underwear plus maybe a diaper cover (or whatever they're called over his underwear at night?  I'd still expect accidents and again pretty sure from what all the professionals have told me his body might not be quite physically all ready for full night free of accidents even if he is emotionally ready!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-16 2:17 PM
He's a once a day pooper. For a while a couple weeks ago his schedule shifted and he pooped in the late afternoons and was waking up pretty dry so I thought we might be on track but now he's back to mornings. I really can't figure out how to change a pooping schedule. Exercise is a good idea but we're in the middle of winter. We get home and it's already dark. He's usually famished at that point so it's a race to get dinner out first, then there's just a bit of playing before bedtime which is already kind of late.
I'll look for those underwear covers don't think I've ever seen.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-21 9:45 PM
Well, he woke us up at 6am to go pee this morning. Dry diaper when we got him up for the day. Maybe he is ready. Sort of how he did day time actually - we bought undies with the idea of maybe trying to toilet train. As soon as he saw them, diapers were history. And then his daycare teachers were like, "finally, he's been ready for months!":roll:

Maybe the dude knows what he's doing.: pbbt:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-16 7:42 AM
Me again. I noticed yesterday at daycare that they had B feeding himself his bottle while laying down in the crib. That seemed odd to me but they said it was standard practice and google tells me it is a common thing. But I also read that feeding that way can lead to ear infections - he just had one about 3 weeks ago so that got my wheels turning. Do I ask if they can at least let him sit in a bouncy seat if they want to self feed, or wait to see if he gets another ear infection?
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-16 7:44 AM
I've heard the ear infections thing too.  Maybe ask your pediatrician if that is still considered a potential risk.  If so, maybe even give them a boppy for him to be propped in to use the bottle.  Are they doing it though to help him fall asleep though?
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-16 9:43 AM
I"m not sure if it is to promote sleep or not. They don't record his naps in the app very often but usually it seems like he naps before his bottle.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2017-06-16 8:44 AM
Our day care had them self-feeding around 5 months of age, but they were propped up on a boppy.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-16 9:43 AM
I noticed him doing it in the bouncy seat a month or so ago but I thought it was just the daycare lady being lazy (because she is from my observations)
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-06-16 12:44 PM
my ped advised not to do this - ear infections and tooth decay.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-16 2:20 PM
Self feeding while sitting is fine. While lying down means the milk/formula pools in their mouth. Bad for teeeth. Also gets them used to feeding themselves to sleep which is not a great association.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-06-16 4:34 PM
My doctor said never in the crib. I never heard the ear infection thing but our doc said it's not good for their teeth (when they come in).
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-19 6:13 AM
Thanks all. I'm going to see if they can let him self feed in a bouncer instead. I know he isn't always in the crib with the bottle because I've walked in other times and he's being fed or is in a bouncer.

The daycare is currently going through an accreditation process so you would think if this was a bad thing they wouldn't do it? Or at least not recommended by AAP type of thing
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-19 6:53 PM
They may not be aware of the contraindications. Self feeding in a bouncer or propped on a boppy should work better. Lying on his back and drinking a bottle is likely to lead to "baby bottle mouth" which means all the teeth except the bottom 4 front ones get cavities. Those four are protected by the baby's tongue.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-06-16 4:38 PM
My Benji is 11 months tomorrow! He's pulling to standing and cruising and babbling and saying mama! :hug: He's becoming a toddler before our eyes it's amazing. I went crawling back to the sleep consultant because he started screaming through his second nap and he keeps waking up early. She said he's ready to transition to 1 nap already so we've begun that journey. It's really hard I haven't cried this much since we did the initial sleep training. I can't wait til it's a memory. I have a back to work date (July 24) and we have a daycare spot. Dh is on an evening schedule so I do everything myself all day long and I feel kinda isolated and super stressed. Maybe going back to work and having human contact again will be a good thing for me.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-19 6:11 AM
11 months wow! Sorry to hear about the tough sleep but you're right at some point it will just be a distant memory. For me work was wonderful, I definitely need to go back as I was also feeling how you are and I only did it for 3 months. I hope your return is just as good.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-06-22 9:53 AM
I'm just really sad that I'll only see him for an hour or two a day. :sad: But I do think it'll be great for him to make little friends and play with all the daycare toys and learn and develop and such. :hug:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-06-20 7:24 AM
The adult interaction is what I missed most about work and also using my brain!  Sleep issues are the hard to deal with and just when things seem under control they change things up.  DD2 and DS1 both dropped to one nap before one so that's likely the case.  DS2 held out much longer but only took two very short naps.  He's napping longer (total time for the day) now that he's at one nap!
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2017-06-22 9:51 AM
Thanks the nap isn't really long enough yet but so far he's being a champ! It's not fixing the early wakeups tho. Which are killin' mama!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-01 9:13 AM
awwww big boy Benji!!!  Transitioning back to work is tough, but I think you will find that adult interaction is really great.  Aw, saying mama... P just started that about 3 weeks ago and it is the cutest. thing. ever.  Brings tears to my eyes.

wow transitioning to 1 nap already?  Although who am I kidding... Penelope has nothing even resembling a schedule when I'm home.  When she's with our nanny or with dada, she'll do 2 naps.  Me?  Nope, either wants to nap on mama or play all day. :roll:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-26 6:28 AM
Made it 7 months without having to clean out the inside of the car seat (more than just spot clean) - this time had to full on wash it Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. WTF kid. Friday was projectile vomit all over him/carseat/my car and then Sat and Sun were poosplosions. I really hope it isn't a new trend.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-26 12:23 PM
Aw, do you think maybe it is motion sickness in the car? Wasn't he the one doing a lot of crying? Poor kid and poor mom.
Oh wait, now I see two of those were poop.
:cry:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-26 1:59 PM
1 vomit and 2 poop.  And yep, he's the car seat cryer too. On Sunday he started to cry and I was like oh man and then he apparently pooped and felt better - the other times from crying in the car seat were not poop related.  These kids are a mystery!
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2017-06-26 4:30 PM
Hm, wonder if the angle doesn't feel good on his belly somehow. How old is he? Do you still have him in the infant carrier? We switched to a rear-facing convertible around 8 months I think because E seemed to be outgrowing the infant one. Even though he wasn't anywhere near the size limit, I don't think he seemed very comfortable in it. Oh and it was too heavy for mama to carry!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-06-27 7:41 AM
he is in the infant seat, he's still pretty little. As long as I can continue carrying it I am going to because I prefer it. I do need to look into a convertible soon though and buy one to have on hand. Sometimes I think the chest clip bugs him but I don't think that affects the bowels. We did move the crotch clip to a different position so it fits different, and maybe more comfortable.  I hope!  He's also just pooping a ton more than usual which isn't helping.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-06-26 12:36 PM
At least the poopsplosion days tend not to last that long. Once they start eating all people food (not pureed baby stuff) the poos get a lot more solid. They still stink, but at least most of the time they are contained in the diaper rather than going up the back and down the legs and oozing out onto the car seat. BTDT if you haven't yet figured that out.

Carsickness, OTOH, can last a while.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-01 9:18 AM
Hi all!  I know it's July 1 but I'm too lazy to start another one, ha.  Penelope is 10 months old :shocker!:  She's saying mama, dada, ca (for cats) and bye bye.  She waves hi and bye to everyone.  It's so stinking cute.  She's standing on her own and cruising, and crawling like a fiend.  I bet she'll be walking before she hits 11 months :shocker!::shocker!:  She's had lots of grandparent visits in the past 2 weeks, which has been fun,  excepting for when they give me parenting advice.  Ha.  I just smile and nod and keep doing what I was doing.  Ha ha. 

My big news is that I'm quitting my job completely effective 7/28.  I'm starting my PhD program at the end of August and I had these crazy ideas about how I was going to work part-time and be a full-time PhD student.  DH finally got me to see sense.  I feel so much better now that I've made the decision.  We've also hired a very good person to replace me, so I'm happy about that.  Also, we're moving to the complete opposite part of the city (actually right outside of the city) in mid September, so my commute would be crazy long.  It just didn't seem worth it for 2 days a week.  So lots of changes!

We're going to England and Ireland for 8 days - leaving 7/8 and returning 7/16.  Yay flying with a 10 month old :shocker!: we bought her her own seat, on the recommendation of our friends who flew a lot with their infant and now toddler.  Anyone else have good tips?  Sticky?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-04 3:52 AM
We flew with mini to Hawaii when he was about 10 months old - about 11 hours flight. We didn't buy an extra seat, but reserved the seats with the bassinet in front. Highly recommend to do that even with the extra seat. Mini was still small enough to fit, just barely. We had an overnight flight which was great. Mini slept in the bassinet most of the way. On the way back was a daytime flight. Got the bassinet seat again, but this time mini had no desire to sleep, but the extra floor space was still very useful for him to sit and play.
Other than that, snacks, books, new toys - preferably ones that don't make noise.
Extra diapers and diaper bags, portable changing mats. Lots of extra clothes, and a set for you.
Extra bottles and formula if she's into that...
A baby carrier without metal in it - useful to get around the airport, and if she's asleep you can wear her through security. (unless you forget the littleperson is holding a toy car in their fist that sets off the alarm...:roll:)

Oh, and don't forget her blankie on the plane.:cry:

That's all I can think of right now. At 10  months he was actually pretty easy. Loved playing with all the latches and window shades, and the emergency info card was the most fascinating read ever.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-07 12:09 PM
thank you!  I'm hoping it will be not too stressful!
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-05 6:07 AM
wow lots of changes indeed! Are you moving to the suburbs now?

No advice on the travel although a friend went to Scotland with their daughter around the same age and they had one of those bassinets at the front of the seat. Although since she will have her own seat that shouldn't matter.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-07 12:10 PM
yes the suburbs - but literally less than a quarter mile over the philadelphia line.

I'm trying to decide if we should give P a little benadryl pre flight.... our flight is at 7:45 pm and we arrive at 7:30 am london time, total flight about 6 hours... I'd really like for her to sleep as much of that flight as possible!  I know it's not recommended for under 12 months... maybe I'll bring it on the flight just in case she wakes up.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 12:17 PM Edited 2017-07-07 12:20 PM
Our ped said no benadryl until 24 months (and that was for an allergic reaction and we had to use topical).  I will say I've flown w/ multiple little ones.  I flew to Austrailia w/ middle seat (couldn't get bassinet row) w/ her on my lap.  She was lamost 9 months.  Nursing her was the biggest thing that helped so if you are still doing that, it might not be so bad.  We flew w/ DS1 when he was 14 months for a 5.5 hr flight.  He was still nursing but wasn't interested.  He took a nap and that was great.  If P likes snacks that was another things DD2 loved.  She ate a bunch of puffs on those gazillion flights over and back to Australia.  DS1 was tough (and he has a bunch of issues overall) but with 6 hours it might be ok.  DS1 did like putting stickers on things too.

ETA - Congrats on yoru PhD program and deciding to quit.  I think it will probably be the best call for you and yoru family.  Not that you couldn't have done it but likely extra stress that isn't worth it unless you really, really needed it financially.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 1:14 PM
I can't imagine taking a baby to Australia!
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2017-07-07 1:23 PM
2 hr drive to airport, layover in chicago, layover in LA, layover in sydney, finally to brisbane and another drive.  It wasnt that bad at all.  She was cruising at that point and enjoyed that in the airport.  It was winter so she got more outside time and enjoyed it.  I will say it's so much harder with more than one little one to travel with at the same time.  It honestly wasn't that big of a nightmare or any worse than being at home!!!!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2017-07-07 1:14 PM
I've heard some kids don't react well to benadryl and are wound up by it instead of knocked out so I definitely wouldn't have the plane trip be the first time I tried it.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2017-07-07 2:07 PM
my pediatrician voted no.   Too risky when they're that little.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-07 6:51 PM
I'd say no to Benadryl especially if you have issues and are stuck on a flight. That age was pretty easy to fly with (it has been awhile). Are you BFing? BFing worked great to get O through take off/landing and helped her sleep. Bring a change of clothes for both you and her, snacks and some toys.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2017-07-17 9:39 AM
we used it and it was ok!  She slept for 4 hours on the plane.  We gave her a tiny bit before and she was ok so we figured it was good to go.  Maybe it was a little risky but judging from how she was on our flight home yesterday (daytime), I'm glad we did it.  ARGH.  Won't be doing that again too soon... but it was a fun trip regardless.  Bfing was a help but her new habit of twiddling my nipple with her pinchy little fingers did not help.
Up Topic Communities / Women / June TTC/Preggo/PP