Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Stormy Thursday dailies
- - By judyruns Date 2017-06-15 4:48 AM
Sunny so far... :cool:
Post.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-06-15 4:54 AM
Wednesday it was hot so I went out early with the ice kerchief. I did 3 hill repeats and my total time was 100 minutes. I ran into a friend and we had a great talk. She also goes to the same gym I use. I ran long because I wasn’t sure if it would be possible today with the stormy potential.
Today I’m off early to the trail again. I should have some time out there before the storms come. My mosquito bites are starting to itch. : pbbt:
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:52 AM
One the downsides to outdoor runs are the bug bites.

Glad you got to catch up with your friend.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:52 AM
Deer flies were sometimes really bad where I used to live. I couldn't run in tank tops because they would light on my shoulders and bite where I couldn't swat them off.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 10:54 AM
Strategic biting.
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-15 8:03 AM
This time of the year is all about timing in b/tn storms.  Does it cool down after rain?  Here, it's ever grossER and muggiER after :roll:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-15 4:15 PM
It depends. The muggy does build again pretty quickly.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 5:50 AM Edited 2017-06-15 5:54 AM
SDO I'm taking Winston to the groomer today. He came with one those cute "Westie style" cuts and now it's all shaggy. The spring rain and mud haven't helped much either so now it's time for his summer haircut.

Track workout last night. Can't say I kill it because I forgot my Garmin but I did finish although the first intervals were  better  than the last in 90 degree heat. 1x800, 400 recovery 2x1200 400 recoveries and another 800. 3 miles Total w/u and c/d for 6 miles. I'm the only one that did the whole thing although the others will still outrun me on race day they can't say thy outworked me.: pbbt:: pbbt:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-15 7:59 AM
I love when doggos get their summer 'dos!  If you forgot your Garmin, you get to decide how you tell the story.  I heard someone say you DID kill it.  :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:17 AM
It was so hot, I figured it was probably a good day to forget the Garmin.:wink:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:55 AM
Awww. But I bet Winston is still adorable. :hug:

If you don't want to pay for a groomer every few weeks, and if you are not too set on a specific cut, it may be worth buying your own set of clippers and trimming Winston yourself. Get one of those clip guides that just lets you trim to one specific length all over, and buzz him with it as needed. Not all dogs will sit still for it, but the savings in time and groomer fees can well offset the $100+ price for good clippers. Just a thought?
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 10:57 AM
No because what would happen is DH would probably end doing it and it wouldn't look very good. He used to DIY but is the one who suggested a trained professional after a few attempts. :roll:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:03 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Groomer it is, then!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:33 AM
They do a good job too.
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-15 7:54 AM
Morning, all.  I didn't make that barre workout because my friend canceled, so I ran on the TM because it's SO HOT.  I'm just back from walking the dog and it already feel like 91* at 8:45 a.m.  Ugh.  Today I have a barre date with a friend, so that should be good.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:18 AM
They offer the Barre now at our gym. I'm intrigued.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:58 AM
The humidity where you are...! It's nice to run inside in the AC sometimes.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-15 7:55 AM
2 miles last night plus strength training. The run felt awful - I had to walk 3 times in those 2 miles :cry: but then it turned out to be a little bit faster than usual, so eh, it's done and the mileage is in the bag. Worst thing is that my shins started talking - I really didn't think I'd ramped up too fast although I accept there were 6ish weeks in there that I did nothing. But my shoes are only 18 mths old :wtf: so it shouldn't be that either.  I might just fork out for a new pair so I can feel reassured on that front, and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had separate shoes for outside running & inside gym strength training as the latter presumably still stresses the shoes but doesn't show up on my mileage count.
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-15 8:02 AM
Wonder what's up with your shins? 18 months could be a little long for your shoes- maybe they've gotten wet or done something unusual?  In the end, you got it done!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:21 AM
18 months? If you use them for other stuff that would be too long.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2017-06-15 9:49 AM
You mention below a couple of shoes that compared well to the Adrenalines for you...what are they? I think you said Saucony Triumphs & New Balance somethings. I've been wearing Adrenalines for 16 years so was going to just go into the store and buy another pair but now you have me wondering if there are new shoes out there that might work as well
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:57 AM
I normally wear Adrenalines, but their latest model didn't feel good on my feet, so I switched back to Sauconys, in whatever their motion control model is now. But generally Brooks, Saucony and Asics have comparable foot beds.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-15 9:13 AM
4 mile run trying to stay in zone 2 and failing massively. So 4 miles in 45 minutes :mutmad:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:34 AM
What is zone 2?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 10:01 AM
Heart rate training zone. Some scales start with level one being 60-65% max HR; two is about 70% max HR (and about the right zone for long distance "cruising" speed); three is about 80% max (a good solid run, but not TOO fast); four is 90%-ish, or a sustained fast run at a shorter distance; five is up to 100% anaerobic threshold sprints.

Um, if I remember correctly, that is.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-15 11:57 AM
What zip said. You have to do an HR test thing first and my HR zones and paces that correspond with the zones are very slow. It's very frustrating and I feel like I'm just training my body to run slow and will have no ability to pick it up. I don't actually understand how it's supposed to work in the long run and I just end up extremely frustrated and sad at how slow I am as a result. I had to walk 3 times in that 4 mile run (on hills) in order to keep my HR down and i STILL failed at the zone 2. I was I believe on the upper end of Zone 3 :meh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 12:03 PM
I know what you mean. I revamped my training around 2004 after I had been sick all winter with sinusitis, ear infections and bronchitis, and was feeling fat and undertrained and frustrated. So I took a chance on HR training. It was, frankly, really tedious at first. But it DID pay off in better fitness than I had ever had before. It WILL get you results if you can endure these early stages.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-15 12:04 PM
That's what everyone tells me. The problem is that I seem to fail every single time with getting the HR into the zone needed. Coach said I need to start slower. At this point any slower and I'm walking. What's the point if i'm WALKING?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 12:07 PM
I had the same issue...I could kinda amble-run slowly to stay in the zone on flat ground, but ANY kind of hill and I lost the HR I was aiming for. :mutmad::roll: But yeah, if I popped out of the zone I was aiming for, I walked. As time went on, my HR dropped and it was easier to stay in zone. Weird how it worked, but if you can stand it, stick with it for at least 5-6 months?
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 10:20 AM
Had a great workout yesterday. First a short physical therapy session, then off to the gym for weights and arm workouts. I did battle rope intervals alternating with handstand pushups and "V" pushups with the TRX straps. Then biked for an hour at low resistance, did bicep curls and hand weight exercises while balancing on the BOSU ball, then walked on the TM for an hour, where I threw in five 1-minute intervals of running at slow speed. (And yes, I discussed everything with my physical therapist, and am staying strictly within her guidelines. Like for the running intervals, she said it is okay to extend the length of the intervals, but to stay on a flat surface, at low speed, with no rotation or twisting. Treadmill or flat track is fine; sprinting is not. Concentrate on form over speed or duration; if muscles feel wobbly or form wavers, stop and rest.)

Muscles are pleasantly tired today, so I will probably either take a day off or just go hit the stationary bike again. I am getting a lot of reading done while on the stationary bike. It's sort of turning into my low-impact library hour.
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2017-06-15 6:36 AM
I am still running, and just got new shoes from Altus...they are like Hokas with the large cushion and low drop but the toe box is so much wider. Not sure if LRS carries this brand but ordered from RRS after having multiple disappointments with Hokas and finding after running in a low drop shoe for so long I cannot run in a shoe like a Kayano with a large heel drop. I have probably spent 40 on shipping multiple shoes back and forth but so glad to find a new great shoe!

I have been running 3 times a week consistent with a small group of friends. My friends have been my lifesavers in so many ways these past few years more than I could have imagined. It is hard with one friend whose son was friends with Evan but we have a good friendship and we are moving forward from our loss of Evan.

Oh look I talked about running. That is good for me. It has been 3 months now since Evan died. I am working very very hard now to put a lot of my despair behind me and to move forward. I know some people are saying that isn't a lot of time but I have been grieving in a way since his relapse in January knowing the outcome was inevitable (once it spread the cure rate dropped to about 0% unfortunately). I will miss him forever but I need to find a way out of the pain and sadness as that isn't doing anyone any good including me or my family. I've been taking Lexapro and I think it is helping. Never took a med before but it was suggested to rebuild my serotonin levels which are shot, along with some other meds to rebuild my immune system and adrenals. I have been under constant stress since he was diagnosed almost 2 years ago.

Still planning to do the Ragnar in November. I need to go to AAA and get a good map of the area and start plotting the drive. It is nice to have something to look forward to. Also I have decided to take 3 small trips with Gavin this summer, one to see a friend over July 4 weekend here in FL, one out to CA to see our friends in Half Moon Bay (the ones that were with us when Evan passed, she is my BFF and Matthew and Gavin are good friends too) and then I made a decision to drive up to Columbia SC for the eclipse in August.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2017-06-15 7:52 AM
:hug:
Parent - By LuckiestPenny Date 2017-06-15 7:57 AM
Glad you're posting here.  I'm happy to hear you're running and planning those trips, too.  All sound like positive ways of moving through the world.  :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:40 AM
Thank you so much for checking in. I hope you can post more often but no pressure.:hug:

I am also glad you found a running shoe that works. One of the reasons I was reluctant  trying new shoes is fear of messing up a good thing. I won some Saucony  Triumph  and then some new balance shoes last year and they became "new" favorites.  I no longer wear the Brooks adrenaline because of this .
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-06-15 10:06 AM
You mean Altras? I have a pair that I got just before I kinda crashed from overtraining. Very comfy, roomy toe box. I am looking forward to using them again and maybe actually wearing them out. : pbbt:

Re: grief and moving forward, I like that you are respecting your own needs right now. That you are respecting your grief, but also making the effort to continue to be alive. It is really hard at times, but it will help sustain you in the long haul. :hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2017-06-15 4:55 PM
:hug:You were a caregiver for a long time in a very difficult situation. That can really wear on your physical health. It is now important for you to care for yourself. That is great news that you are running and forward planning. It helps so much! :hug::hug:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Stormy Thursday dailies