Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Thursday. Who's thirsty?
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 6:57 AM
Heat and humidity got you down?  drink, drink, drink.     What's your best tip for hot weather running?
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 7:02 AM
And we're at the mid point of the month.  How did it get to be the 15th already?

I'm currently into the flavored sparkling water phase.  I am pretty much against paying money for water (and yes I know I pay for what comes out of the tap) but I picked up a 12 of sparkling grapefruit and it was pretty darn good.  So I went back to the store for another grapefruit and branched out into lemon as well.  It sure tastes good after a hard workout.

and to answer my question I like to roll up ice cubes in a bandana and tie it around my neck for a really hot run.  seems to help.   This mornng is pretty nice - high 60's and I am anxious to get out for a run.  Waiting for Amy to get up and comfort Misha in my absence.

Have a good thirsty Thursday.  drink, drink, drink.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-15 7:27 AM
We get the Kroger brand cans of sparkling water. 12 packs are very cheap compared to the fancy brands. Lemon, lime, lemon-lime, cranberry-lime, coconut, and grapefruit are just some of the choices.  I like them because they aren't sweet.  Just two ingredients, carbonated water and natural flavors.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:23 AM
I saw the Kroger brand in today's flyer.  Same price as at Aldi.  With Aldi though you never know what they're going to have in stock....
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:37 AM
that's a great idea. off to go purchase some flavored water. sounds yummy.

have you considered the chilly towel? I have but have not purchased one.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:58 AM
I have used the ice in a bandana on hot runs and it does help, at least for a couple of miles.  During a couple of very hot ultras I have grabbed ice at an aid station. 

At one time I drank flavored water a lot, but haven't had it in a long time.  Sparkling water sounds like a nice treat.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-15 7:22 AM
Best tip is to run early in the day. During our Houston time I would try to finish before the sun rise.

Dick's Sporting Goods have been pushing cooling towels.  Being a slave to advertising I may get one and try it.
An example: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mission-enduracool-instant-cooling-towel-ss14msnendrcltwlblk/ss14msnendrcltwlblk

I was going to run this morning but I was procrastinating when I heard thunder, looked out the window, and it was pouring.  I checked the weather and it looked like it would clear up fast, but I switched gears anyway and went to the gym to workout.  Clear and sunny now, but I have no regrets about skipping the run.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:25 AM
looks interesting.  I wonder if it works?
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:38 AM
haha. I just talked about that. I am going to look into one.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:21 AM
It as storming early this morning so I postponed my run.  Slept for an extra hour.  I ran 8.08 miles around 8:30.  The temp is a bit cooler but very humid.

Run early and in the woods is my hot weather running tip.  The shade in the woods helps a bunch. 

Here's an interesting story of a trail runner vs raccoon in Maine.  http://bangordailynews.com/2017/06/14/news/midcoast/maine-woman-attacked-by-raccoon-drowns-rabid-animal-in-puddle/
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:28 AM
my goodness what a brave and quick thinking girl!
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:39 AM
holy moly!!! girl got skills!!
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 8:41 AM
This is the summer of me leaving my children for longer periods of time by themselves.

It's going okay for me. :laugh::laugh: They however do not care.

10.24 miles at the park. Out for 2.5 hours. Children fine. : pbbt:

Farmer's market today. :hug:

QOTD: I run short distance slowly(sometimes walking) during the hottest part of the day.  I take water and drink gatorade. To get used to the heat.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:00 AM
Nice run.  I remember when we started leaving our two kids alone for short periods.  My kids never missed us.
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:35 AM
:laugh::laugh: they never think anything will happen while I think of all the things that can happen.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:36 AM
I had a good friend tell me after they turn 11 they can be alone all the time.  I said "do you know my kids?"   No, no, no.  all day at 11 yrs old?:shocker!:  If I remember correctly they were 13 and 10 when I felt comfortable being gone 4 hours at a time.  They had to call me every 2 hours though.   (still had a land line, I was making sure they were home:wink:)
Parent - - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:36 AM
okay. I've got 14 (15 in sept) 11 (12 in JUly) I know I"m late to the party but we are in a new area. I needed to get to know it better.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:39 AM
and I live in a tiny town with neighbors on all sides home all day.  big difference.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-06-15 12:02 PM
I am doing the same thing this summer with the kids. I'm on week 3 of leaving them so I can swim. The max time so far is 1.5 hours. Unfortunately we still need a body here when I need longer stuff and since J backed out of a deal we made (the deal was made BEFORE we started leaving them alone) I now have to deal with my MIL twice this summer that I wasn't anticipating. Since I'm holding a grudge about this, I am going against his wishes that I do only 1 away trip and am going to be going away overnight for a race in AC. Ugh.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-15 9:27 AM
Whoa it is hot and humid!

3.5 PW miles done and then I did some yard work.  Playing bunco with the old folks at 2:30.

Don't stay thirsty my friends -- hydrate!
Parent - By runnergeel [us] Date 2017-06-15 11:37 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: sound advice. have fun today!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Thursday. Who's thirsty?