Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Gardeners' Corner
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-18 10:05 AM
This could be just the thing to pep up the forum! :shocker!:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-18 10:07 AM
Or not.  :cry:

Today's topic:  I have a cucumber plant that is starting to produce harvestable cukes.  I have not grown cucumbers before -- any tips on when to harvest or what serving styles are best for fresh garden cukes?  :wtf::shocker!:
Parent - - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-06-18 1:38 PM
My wife has been growing a kind of Indian cucumber in our backyard. You can make about 8-10 dishes out of it....all distinctly separate. But for a week now it has been cucumber this and cucumber that for dinner and lunch :cry:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-19 3:18 AM
THIS !!!

That's the problem with garden crap. You will eat that for half a year :roll:
I remember back in the day we had rhubarb in the garden.
This generated rhubarb pies for weeks and a year's worth of rhubarb marmalade :meh:
I'm pretty sure we gave plenty to an old lady down the road who made rhubarb wine or alcohol from it.
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-06-21 11:02 AM
I remember the zucchini plants.  For a couple of cents you can buy a plant.  They always grow like crazy and produce an immense amount of zucchinis.  You are so proud of yourself for "living off the land" until you have to drop megabucks for the rest of the ingredients for zucchini bread so you have some way to use the stupid things.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-06-19 8:02 AM
Cucumber/onion vinegar salad. A yogurt and dill dressing works also. Make tzatziki. Make pickles.

Also, prune the hell out of your tomato plants or all the energy will go toward keeping the plant going and stunt the fruit. Google "pruning suckers tomato"
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-19 4:23 PM
Woah, I had no idea about pruning tomato plants! :shocker!: I had a giant tomato plant with an ok amount of fruit, though they didn't quite grow to the right size. And this year due to crappiest summer weather on record, it also took them forever to ripen. Lots of them just stayed green.

taking notes for summertime...:cool:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-06-20 10:34 AM
Yep - gotta prune the plants!  I learned this a couple of years ago, and it makes a HUGE difference.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-20 11:30 AM
I've done some pruning here and there, but definitely should have been more consistent about it.
Parent - - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-06-18 12:48 PM
Hello! I have a bunch of peppers planted, as usual. One is dying, nearly dead, and I don't know why. :sad: but I have 1 banana pepper and 1 mariachi pepper ready to be picked. Have a bunch of tiny peppers I'm impatiently waiting on.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-18 1:12 PM
I, too, have some banana peppers, though I have no idea when they are ready to harvest.  :shocker!:  BP Buddies! :hug:
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-06-18 1:16 PM
I've been neglecting my garden since winter. : pbbt:  I left some carrots growing and the plants grew to over 63 inches tall and have dozens of blooms.  :laugh: My green onions did similar, topping out at ~36 inches.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-06-18 1:41 PM
I used a lot of compost in the soil for my tomato plants and have not been good about pruning them, and they are already 6 feet tall with branches going in every direction.   :shocker!:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-18 2:16 PM
I like hoes.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-18 2:17 PM
We have some tomatoes, kale and chard planted. Maybe some other stuff too, I'm not sure.
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-06-18 2:26 PM
Rosie keeps digging up my flower beds. She's destroyed more marigolds than any dog alive. Had to put begonias in a pot. She's not allowed in the yard now. Given she pees in the house anyway, there's no need for her to go back there.

My dog is the biggest asshole in the world.

Anyway, the garden is suffering.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2017-06-18 4:58 PM
Our sad little artichoke plant is growing a single, tiny artichoke. This is tremendously exciting to me.:cool:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-18 5:14 PM
Planted  snap peas ( nearly ready ),.Swiss chard, beets, cukes, zucchini , tomatoes , also basil and parsley . So far looking good.
- - By JimGo1 Date 2017-06-18 6:38 PM
The deer won - I'm done.  Now I truly understand why we shoot them in Michigan.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-06-18 9:47 PM
Even deer won't eat kale. :wink:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-06-19 8:22 AM
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2017-06-19 1:08 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2017-06-19 8:23 AM
Can't you install those ultrasound units that chase them away. It emits a high frequency pitch deer can't stand but you can't hear.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Gardeners' Corner