Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Justifying Your Actions WednesDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 9:34 AM
Tell us about a time you told yourself something, to justify your actions. Regular stuff.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 9:42 AM
On Monday, I ate almost two pieces of a chocolate cream dessert thing which was leftover from our Father's Day gathering. I HAD to eat both pieces as I needed to clean the container to hold the watermelon I was cutting up. If I didn't eat the dessert, where would I put the watermelon?!:laugh::roll:

5 easy miles this morning, will go to boxing class with Blazergirl this evening. Egg for breakfast.

Blather: Those on  FB may have seen the BIG NEWS that blazerman had a Hole-In-One yesterday!:grin: For those who care about the details......it was a 150 yard, Par 3 with a pond on the right and sand on the left. He used his 8 iron. Since there was a small hill in front of the green, he couldn't see that it went in until he got to the green. The most important detail is he texted me first, THEN, his brother. I have always joked that when he did this, I would be second.:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-21 10:46 AM
Very cool for blazerman! :cool:

Your logic of eating the dessert makes perfect sense to me!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:52 AM
congrats to blazerman! So cool
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:44 PM
Holla for Blazerman!!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-21 1:53 PM
Sweet on the hole in one! That's a 7 iron for me these days. Never had one myself, but the group in front of me when I played in Ohio someone had one. I just saw the cheering, not the shot.

So what was his bar bill like after the round?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:16 PM
Only $40!  Since it was about a zillion degree yesterday afternoon a course in a retirement community, no one was around  Even the small clubhouse was empty when they finished.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:30 PM
Well congrats to blazerman and you for moving up the first to know ladder :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 7:44 PM
Thank goodness you were able to get that plate clean!! :shocker!:

and of course, congratulations to Blazerman!!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-21 9:55 AM
Today I justified leaving work (to work from home for the rest of the day) on the basis of "2 out 3 kids are sick and I'm a single parent". Later today I'll probably use that as justification for flipping a big ol' skyward middle finger.

Return to running this morning! After 3 days of no running, 6.5 enjoyable solo miles.

Facebook comedy of errors: There's a photo of me at the family reunion which a lot of people have been "liking". I think the reason for all the "Likes" is people are assuming it's me and my girlfriend. But...it's actually my cousin's wife! (To be fair to all the "identity mistakers", they do bear a resemblance to each other and they even share the same first name).
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-21 10:43 AM
Oh no! Do your kids have what you had? Glad you are feeling better and are back to running. :hug:

To be fair, if it's the pic I'm thinking of on FB, it looks like you and your cousin's wife are holding hands! :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:03 AM
Glad you at least got a nice run in!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:53 AM
I think you are totally justified in working from home with sick kids.
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 3:12 PM
Hope the kids feel better. It's annoying that we have to justify working from home for that reason. :meh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:31 PM
Several places allow sick days to be taken for family leave. Glad you can work from home.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:19 PM
Sounds like a primal scream would be entirely justifiable under the circumstances.  Hope everyone's back to good health tomorrow!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-21 10:41 AM
I justified buying my new very expensive Garmin smartwatch/GPS/fitness tracker by telling myself that now I would only have to wear one device instead of two since it replaces my Garmin smartwatch/fitness tracker and my Garmin GPS that I use for training. (Nevermind that the two devices are in perfect working condition so there's not real reason I needed to replace them.) Having one device only will be more efficient and convenient since there is only one thing to charge, etc. :roll:

Workout: no run today and I slept in instead of getting up to bike. Will swim and do core and hip exercises this evening.
Food/drink: I made crockpot beef and broccoli for dinner last night from a recipe I found on Pinterest. It was really gross. :cry: It called for too much cornstarch to thicken the sauce, and then the sauce didn't really thicken, so it was like eating beef and broccoli with a thin layer of cornstarch all over it. I had to toss it, but finacee didn't mind it and ate most of it. I threw the rest out. I hate that.
Blather: A coworker brought 3 different kinds of ice cream from a local dairy to a meeting yesterday. :grin: It was a kickoff meeting for a long few months of planning, and I think she was trying to ply us all with the ice cream so that we would come to all future meetings. It worked for me!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:05 AM
What watch did you get?  I am very pleased with the Garmin Forerunner 15 I bought last December......GPS, HR, pedometer, syncs to my phone for texts and alerts.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:05 PM
I got the Fenix 5s, it looks like a regular watch and has all of that and also does multisport with biking and swimming and can track the entire triathlon with the transitions and everything.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:17 PM
Cool!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:53 AM
she needs to bring ice cream every time
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:05 PM
She really did set the bar high
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:46 PM
Ugh. Sorry about the dinner. Throwing out food is one of those things that really gets under my skin too, but that sounds really, really gross :cry:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:33 PM
I've been eyeing the 935, same as fenix except i guess  plastic instead of metal. My 910Xt charger is dead (which it is now 5 years old :O)

Ice cream makes meetings easier for sure
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-06-21 4:42 PM
The 935 is IDENTICAL (according to a Garmin rep I spoke to) to the Fenix, just plastic. It's the one I'm going to get. I was going to get it earlier when my 910 was only holding a charge for 2-3 hours. Now it's holding longer but it's doing weird things still. I just can't justify the expense right now, but it's coming because when I plugged it in to charge today (it's at below 50%) it did that buzz thing and wouldn't stop and it said -1% charge? So weird.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 5:26 PM
Mine refuses to charge on my charger, but will charge on Nagesh's. But same deal with not holding charge for more than 4-5 hours. So I am going to try it for a little while and then switch. Since i am not doing much tri stuff it's hard to justify an expensive watch(tying in to today's topic) :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:23 AM
You do way more tri stuff than me, and I managed to justify the watch :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:16 PM
Smart co-worker !!  

And since you slept in, you'll be well-rested for your swim this evening, so win-win!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-21 10:53 AM
I told myself that I had to finish the beer in the growler DD & S-I-L gave me for Father's Day at dinner last night because it was opened on Sunday and surely would go bad shortly.  There was only 1/2 a glass left...I think it had already gone bad :sad:  it ended up being poured down the drain :cry:

Taught cycling class this morning & did core & shoulder PT exercises afterwards.  Had a reasonable turnout...gained 2 school teachers who had been in my class before but not consistently able to make it work during the school year. 

Spent ~90 minutes cutting the grass, weed-wacking/edging and cleaning up with the blower. 

Congrats to blazerman!  In the relatively very few times I've played golf it's a win if I make par on 1 of the 18 holes :roll:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:06 AM
It only took him about 45 years to make that Hole-In-One....we are all super proud of him.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:54 AM
I am sad for the wasted beer.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-21 1:54 PM
I agree with Donna... tssk tssk on the wasted beer. Growlers, they don't last long in my house.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:27 PM
Sheeeesh!  It was only about 6oz of the original 64oz!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 3:15 PM
That's like 10%

You will not be able to justify that one with this crew :wink:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-21 3:37 PM
:cry:  When Shawn's not home I'm the only beer drinker in the household.  They shoulda got me a 32oz growler! : pbbt:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:34 PM
Bummer on the beer. Could you not make bread or something with it?
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:17 PM
From all the yard work you describe, it looks like the shoulder is healing well.   Uh, is that a good thing? :roll:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 11:34 AM
I justify allowing myself to eat too much crap and drink too much alcohol because my life is such a fucking mess at the moment. Even my therapist thinks this is fine because since I haven't completely fallen apart given the extent of what is going on in my life, some moderately unhealthy coping mechanisms are ok given that I have always had a very good sense of when I was in a good place and a bad place so I am unlikely to cross the line into overtly seriously unhealthy behavior. Those weren't her exact words, but it was the idea. I'm even ok with the weight gain that comes with those moderately unhealthy coping mechanisms. I'm still in the normal general weight range. I'm over running weight but I justify that because I'm not really much of a runner at the moment either so what do I care.

My favorite "justify" story is not my own but something that one of Shawn's doctors once said to me. We were discussing some weirdness going on with him. I raised a question that was outside of what he was recommending. He stood over me (we were inpatient, I was sitting, he was standing) and said "I don't need to justify myself to you." It still makes my blood boil to think about it. Later the nurse practitioner who was also in the room and has worked with him for years told me that he's really a brilliant doctor and nice guy but he can come across brusquely. She asked me if I've seen The Big Bang Theory. When I said that I have, she said "He's Sheldon Cooper." :laugh: When I talk to other parents about him, they all LOVE him. So it was probably a one off or a personality clash.

My run was the usual 3.1 mile route. Nicer than the others this week due to the lower humidity.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:57 AM
if eating crap and drinking alcohol is helping you cope it makes sense not to stress about that. I'm glad your therapist supports you through all of this (actually just glad to know that you have a therapist).

Have you heard anything else about Shawn's hearing test?
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 12:03 PM
His primary doctor is presenting it at the weekly neuro onc conference today (good timing that they always meet on Wednesdays!) to get the collective input about this being atypical for cisplatin hearing loss. She'll call me tonight to let me know what the consensus is and what to do next. The audiologist said they usually order more imaging when things like this show up.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 12:12 PM
This all sucks, but I am glad to know that you have a sense of timing and expectations for when you will hear something from the doctor.
Have you noticed any hearing loss, or is the audiologist picking up early signs of a progressive loss?
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 12:29 PM Edited 2017-06-21 12:34 PM
He already had signs of progressive loss. The concerning thing here is that his previous loss was at high frequency. Normally, that would get worse and eventually progress to mid frequency and then low frequency. In his case, there was no change in his high frequency loss. It was exactly the same as it was in December at his last test. But there was significant loss at mid frequency in his left ear only. It isn't behaving in a progressive way. It skipped things that should happen in between. That's not normal. Her concern is that something else such as a tumor could be causing it. Someone on that FB post described a similar thing happening to her daughter that was actually tumors in her ear (edit to add - now that I think about it, her daughter and Shawn have the same audiologist so she is probably one of the ones that she was thinking of when she said that!) Shawn's body has never behaved in expected ways so this really is a wait and see situation at this point.

I was in the room with him during the test. I wasn't paying much attention (I was posting the baby pictures and emailing them to my friend!) but at one point noticed out the corner of my eye that he wasn't raising his hand at all and I was sitting six feet away from him and could easily hear the beeps (for that part of the test, they put the beep making thing next to his ear and cover the other ear so it's measuring just the one. I started paying more attention after that.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:16 PM
Fuck running weight.

Your story makes my blood boil, too. Being brilliant doesn't excuse anyone from being a decent human being.

I have been following Shawn's hearing progression. I'm glad the meeting of the minds is today and I hope you get some answers soon. :hug:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 4:08 PM
I think he actually IS a very decent human being. Really, everyone else loves him. He's close to retirement and has been around FOREVER. One of our nurses told another friend there that he was HER kids doctor 20-something years ago and credits him with saving her life. And I'm told by other doctors that he's funny in staff meetings. I think it was just a poorly worded comment and bad body language on the wrong day. I still won't mind if we never see him again but it's probably just a "bad first impression" situation. Plus I'm pretty sure that bedside manner is something that CHOP takes very seriously and screens for as much as they screen for brilliance.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:24 PM
Not that this excuses the behavior, but I complained about a surgeon once to my sister.  She worked in genetic research for years, and her husband is a family practice doc.  She said the higher risk lines of medicine often call for a certain amount of arrogance given the challenges they face.  I do not say that his behavior was OK, but it helped me be more at peace with our testy interactions.
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 4:38 PM
That really makes a lot of sense and probably fits my story very well. Even better than my own "excuses" for him that I probably did in that I-can-pick-on-my-family-but-no-one-else-can sort of way. I get pretty defensive of CHOP as a whole, despite having spent so much time there being angry and bitching about it.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 1:52 PM
i think about you all every day. I love his hair that way!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:22 PM
I know you are coping better than I ever could.  You are so strong.:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-21 4:02 PM
Nonsense. You'd do it too if you had to. What choice would you have? There's nothing super human about any of this. Just regular human.

And thanks.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:05 PM
Yeah, I'd say you get a free pass on worrying about anything outside your family right now.:hug:

I'm with Cristen re: that doctor. No need to be brusque or rude with patients and parents.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:28 PM
I'm glad you feel like you can unload a little here.  If we can give you a safe place to vent, at least that's something.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:41 PM
Food and drink are small indulgences that make us feel better. What you consider too much is probably not too much by many standards, as runners we probably are more careful on both of those.

Also you are still a runner, you don't race or train maybe but that's not what makes us runners.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 11:50 AM
I justify downloading stuff to watch (that I could watch for free on netflix) when I have work travel. On Monday I did a day trip to a client in california, this is basically up at the crack of dawn, 3 hour flight, 1-1.5 hour drive 2 hour meeting 1.5 hour drive, 3 hour flight. usually I work on the flight out, but unless there is something really pressing i just watch mindless tv and read on the flight home. I feel like the day is miserable enough and justify that downtime.

run 7 miles. We are now alternating morning running at our house, it is too hot for me to go at 8am.
salad for lunch.
dinner will be blue apron something. I will start it and r will finish cooking while N and I are at her swim lesson. She has lessons every day from 6:45-7:15 which is kind of an awkward time for dinner, but we can make it work.
Parent - - By BigTex [us] Date 2017-06-21 12:21 PM
Swim lessons.  That's how it starts. 

MrsTex just told me that LittleTex's coach thinks she should come to practice tomorrow night (50 min drive there, 25 min drive back, ending at 8:00pm) before heading down to San Antonio (90 minute drive in the exact opposite direction) for a swim meet that starts early the next morning.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:42 PM
:laugh:
N mostly likes the social aspect of swim lessons, and has shown no particular talent for really swimming. Ha!
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:43 PM
I have the same work travel justifications as you. Generally, I will work on the departing flight, regardless of whether it falls during business hours, but if the return flight is in the evening (especially on same-day, in-and-out trips), I am reading a trashy novel downloaded on my kindle. I really need the detox time. Your Monday sounds grueling.

That is a really annoying time for swim lessons. For our daycare schedule and our need to get her up on time, L still goes to bed at around 7:15-7:30, and it really, really cramps our style and limits what we can do with her.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:47 PM
these trips are grueling, but I don't lose a lot of home time that way. And I had to get my cat to radiation Tuesday morning.

It is a tough time for lessons (and N is older than L) but it is at the rec center that is 1/2 mile from my house, so convenient. And the price can't be beat ($40 for two weeks of four days/week). N isn't much of a sleeper. She dropped naps at 2, and now rarely falls asleep before 9, usually later than that. Bedtime is 8.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 1:51 PM
ugh. that is an awful schedule. i'd be a zombie the next day.

kid's schedule stuff is so crazy. they switched high school/elementary start times in this district this year. it made it all crazy for various activities. don't know how parents manage.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:26 PM
Because of banking privacy laws, if anyone is ever sitting next to me on a flight.....which is ALWAYS these days......I am not allowed to work on a plane as the person next to me could see the numbers.  So let's just say you are protecting proprietary information and HAVE TO watch episodes of House of Cards instead.:laugh:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:51 PM
A lot of companies have that about data security and privacy but I think the consequences are not as stringent as with a bank. I just found out that if we don't do all the long list of training(and I mean looooong) the bank gets fined a very large sum of money. I stay on top of mine, but some don't and they're being constantly reminded since we have a deadline coming up.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-22 3:48 AM
Oh yes, the regulatory training......they ain't messing around that. In my role, if it isn't done by the time it is due, you are fired.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 5:15 PM
Ugh that is a rough schedule.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:11 PM
If a downloaded movie is your biggest vice after all that travel and work in one day, you're fine.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:29 PM
I justify was my husband would call "shockingly high" grocery store bills by eating breakfast at home every day, rarely ordering takeout for dinner, and packing my lunch most days. Sure, I could spend less at the grocery store by not buying breakfast and lunch supplies, but I'd be offsetting that spend (plus a lot more) with eating out. I am also justifying a crapload of things because of my pregnancy - mostly things due to laziness, wanting to sleep, and relaxing my diet. :roll: Annoyingly, I have just been diagnosed (again, during my first pregnancy, too) with gestational diabetes, so that's going to put a lid on some of that. I have to use a glucometer for a week and track my food intake so the counselor at my OB can identify my "triggers". Meh. The good news is that I just need to be more mindful of balancing carbs with protein and fat, not eliminate them altogether, as some do.

No run today. Had a bad night of sleep. Work is stressing me out a bit, and DH is traveling, which means any running has to be done on the treadmill. Soo.... I woke up around 4:30 AM to pee and turned off the alarm.
Lunch was just (literally at 2:30) a roasted red pepper sandwich with chicken. I roasted the peppers and the chicken on Sunday and am still working my way through the leftovers. I also probably ate my weight in trail mix today trying to make it till 2:30. I know nuts are supposed to be satisfying, etc., but I have to eat a LOT of them to feel full. :wtf:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:44 PM
we spend a ton of money on food, but I work from home so basically eat all my meals here. And N and R pack lunches, we eat out maybe 1-2 nights per week. Easily worth it-a lot of the money we spend is on fresh fruits and vegetables.

I hate being stuck on the TM when R is traveling. it is nice to have the option,but tougher to motivate (for me at least)
Parent - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:57 PM
Right. Exactly. Produce, which DH doesn't eat a lot of, is a big chunk of our bill. He'll think nothing of spending $4.99 on a bag of chips or the tiniest box of cookies with a fancy label :roll:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 1:49 PM
we have very high grocery bills too. and we go out to a restaurant maybe once every other month. and it's so expensive! i have no problems with high grocery bills. :happy:

oh sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes. didn't know you had it with first.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 3:14 PM
Me neither. It does make it harder to go out to eat, though. I hate paying like $9 for a smallish side of a roasted vegetable that I know I could make for $2 :roll:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 3:17 PM
exactly! when we go out, i want it to be something i could not make better myself. i easily justify cocktails this way though. :grin::blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:38 PM
I had gestational diabetes with both my kids so I know that sucks.  I had to take two does of insulin everyday and since they tested at 3-4 months with the second, the diet and insulin started then.  I found it very challenging to not be hungry.

I had the first kid at 31 and the second at 33 and I recall my doctor telling me that since I had GD twice (and my dad and grandma had "the sugars"), the odds of me developing Type 2 Diabetes was nearly 100%.:cry:  That if I didn't eat right and exercise, I would have by 40.  If I DID eat right and exercise, I could probably push it off til 50.  Hence......I became an endurance athlete!  My sugar has always been perfect until my physical last year, two weeks before I turned 50.:shocker!:  For the first time, my fasting blood sugar was higher than it should have been and higher than it had been since I was pregnant 17 years prior.:sad:  My doctor told me not to sweat it, but if it was high again this year at my physical, well, good-bye cookies and beer.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 4:53 PM
Our grocery bills are also high, but we eat a lot at home. I spend a stupid large amount of fruit. :blush:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:09 PM
Gee, a pregnant, working mom whose spouse is away.  Yeah, I'd call that stress :cry:  Hope things level off soon :hug:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 1:47 PM
i've been justifying a lot of eating and drinking post-marathon. we still have a lot of frozen fruit from last summer but our raspberries have just started to ripen so need to use them up! DH has made a pie, crisp and now galette in the last 10 days. :roll::laugh: we of course have to have it with ice cream or the really good local green yogurt. Iv'e been doing my part with an interesting raspberry/gin recipe. gotta use up those raspberries.

ran 5 this morning and it didn't feel awful. Before the marathon my resting heart rate in the morning was 41 or 42. last week immediately after the marathon, it was 56. Today it was 50. So yeah, still recovering i think.

yesterday was my day off from my regular job. it was so wonderful to have that back. I finished up some online stuff i needed to do for the coaching job (early), took my mom to pool (which was closed because of mechanical issue), then shopping and then to red robin. she'd been wanting to go to red robin for 6 weeks since she had a coupon. :roll::laugh: and i had no trouble justifying a glass of wine and hamburger midday because well, i was with my mom.  :mischief: I did finish staining some trim on interior windows and cleaned up our mud room before guiltily hopping on the bike trainer for 25 minutes. So nice to have that day.
Parent - - By Cristen [us] Date 2017-06-21 1:59 PM
That galette looked SO good. I literally wanted to face plant into it. :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 3:20 PM
as soon as we finish dessert, i cannot wait for the next night to have it again. soooo good!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-21 2:40 PM
When we lived in Michigan, my kids always begged to go to Red Robin. I like it!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-06-21 3:19 PM
i had not been in a long time and it was pretty good for the chain that it is. mom is more interested in restaurants as long as she can use a coupon.  :roll:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 5:11 PM
The day off sounds really nice, cool to be able to do that.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:06 PM
Your day off sounds pretty full!! 

Lunch with your mom :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-21 3:48 PM Edited 2017-06-21 4:08 PM
I justify stuff to myself every day:laugh:. I think I went to law school just so I could hone my skills.: pbbt: I've gotten more technologically capable sports watches, even though I had a garmin that still worked, by telling myself that I needed a longer battery life for ultras, I've bought clothing even though I really had no occasion to which to wear it by telling myself that I had to be prepared with the right outfit if Philip forgets about an office function and tells me at the last minute (which has happened before) even though his office really only has a dinner over the winter holidays, and earlier today I sent a sort of overpriced care package to Isabella because I want her to have healthy treats, and a package cheers her up (even though her dorm is across from a student coffee bar).:roll:

6 humid miles this morning, the first 3 with Weasley:hug:. Green smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch- still trying to cancel out the amazing BBQ I had on the way back from Savannah on Monday.:laugh: Blather: So last Friday Philip and I drove Isabella and her crap down to the Savannah College of Art and Design's summer program, and due to some piss poor planning on my part, the drive turned into the trip from hell. We left way too late, 4pm on Friday, stopped for the night around 11:30 pm, got on the road by 7:30 am but didn't get to Savannah until 5:30 pm. The drive shouldn't have been so long, not sure what happened, but we were so stressed by the time we got to Savannah.:cry: We dropped Isabella at her dorm on Sunday morning, and she couldn't wait to get rid of us!:laugh: She has a pretty intense schedule for the next 5 weeks, with 2 college level classes 4 days a week. But her roommates are nice, and she's having a blast. The day after we dropped her off she texted me a picture of the gym there, which was new and beautiful. I couldn't drag her to the gym here in 3 years of nagging, but one day at SCAD and she's working out!:laugh: Figures. The drive back from Savannah took even longer than the drive there, we hit massive traffic before DC and did 7 mph- seriously- for an hour and a half.:meh: No way am I doing that again. I'm already planning on taking off the entire week when we pick her up toward the end of July and splitting that drive up over two full days. The silver lining in the drive back was that we found the best BBQ place ever, in Emporia, VA. Outstanding, cheap as dirt, fresh... If I lived near there, I'd eat there 3 times a day and weigh 1000 lbs, and it would be so worth it!: pbbt:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 5:13 PM
That's really cool for Isabella. Glad she is having fun. Has she been away from home for as long before?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:30 PM
She was in NYC last summer for 3 weeks, but Philip or I went in to see her once a week, so this will be the longest and the longest she's gone without seeing us. I think she likes that part though!:laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:04 PM
:cry: bad traffic takes all the fun out of a trip, but how exciting for Isabella!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 5:09 PM
I justify a lot of stuff. :roll: I am also sitting here posting, when I should be finishing up some work. Justification: I am tired, was up late two nights in a row working, and then the stress around the demo. This job is a lot like the one at Blackberry where  you have meetings all day and then spend your evenings doing your actual job. : pbbt:

Was at work really early today for the demo. It went really well, I got a chance to present so that was cool. That might justify a mid-week glass of wine. No workout, but I might go run a couple of miles in a bit or a least do some strength stuff and walk pepperzilla.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:01 PM
You will work more efficiently once you've taken a well-earned break to reconnect with your running friends :halo:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:00 PM
When we got back from our five-day camping trip yesterday afternoon, I told myself I needed to take some benedryl for the nasty bite of unknown origin that was on my ankle.  I probably would have been fine without it, but I was blue about being back, and instead of brooding about it anymore, I just took the allergy medicine and conked myself out.  :roll:

The trip was a lot of fun and included delivering a rescued kitten to a new home in a town very near where our DH lives (Pictures and narrative on FB starting last Tuesday if you're curious).  Although I knew we couldn't give the wee beastie a permanent home, I had enjoyed its company, and coming back to a silent house was :meh:  Also in our absence, something happened to the kildeer nest we had been guarding.  The eggs were gone and so were the adults.  No babies anywhere either.  At least three of my larger plants died too, which is hard to avoid in this heat, but gees, it was a bigger loss than I was expecting.  Plus a variety of national news items and probably fatigue thrown in there, I was just a little sick of the world. 

This morning's run was waaaay faster and flatter than what I had been running near our campground.  The hills there were :shocker!: but kind of fun in a sick way.  6.75 miles plus a leg workout at the gym.  I should sleep well tonight.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-06-21 8:20 PM
:hug:The news is always such a beatdown. In some ways I am grateful for the work deluge because it means I am less aware of the crap going on around.

Coming back from a vacation is always hard. :hug: I need to go hunt your photos.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-22 5:47 AM
the news is just too depressing for me many days. And yet, we persist. Calling, paying attention. This stuff is too important.

that kitten was so cute! I have to see if the one I found a few weeks ago has a home.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Justifying Your Actions WednesDaily