Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Whole 30 Thursday
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:26 AM
So I did some research on the Whole30 diet.  Just for information purposes - I'm not interested in anything that takes away my bread!   But I am curious has anyone actually tried it?   Rob, one of the breakfast suggestions sounds a lot like how you eat.

Anyone care to weigh in on what kind of diet makes them feel their best?

post.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:28 AM
Any diet that allows pizza & Reese's Peanut Butter Cups would be ok with me.

I went to the park and slowly 'ran' 4 miles.  It was humid and I seemed to have low energy.

Now to make it through today so I can get to my 4-day weekend where I see my brother from Buffalo NY, my sister from Hagerstown MD, and my daughter from Cortlan IL.  Plus other assorted relatives and old friends.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:35 AM
Have fun with family Dave!  Do they still have their husky?  

I could probably live without pizza, but I certainly would miss Reese's.  Especially at Halloween.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:37 AM
The husky will be with them.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:43 AM
:hug:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:00 PM
Yea a 4 day weekend!  Enjoy your time with family.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:34 AM
I've often thought if I did life over and picked a new career I'd have been a nutritionist or a dietician.  My sister asked me yesterday to come up with a gut-friendly diet for her so I've been googling around.  I favor all foods in moderation.  Except baked beans.  There is no place in the world for that pan of evil.  And I'm pretty sure I could not follow an eating plan that limits my coffee.

My neighbor makes a 90 minute one way trip to Whole Foods for their saurkraut.  Claims since he began eating it for breakfast he has been able to throw away the Prevacid. 

ok, enough about food.  I ran last night; practice run for a July 4 5k.  I had to stop at 2.75 and walk for a minute. Just done.  Strange place for an aid station but thank goodness for that ziploc bag of ice.  Popped a couple cubes in my mouth and stuffed the rest in my sports bra:laugh:  Seriously though, I think I'd have been a dnf except for that gal with the bags of ice.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:21 AM
Maybe I should work an aid station and hand out bags of ice.  Somehow putting one in bra......:shocker!::wtf::laugh:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 9:05 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:01 PM
I liked that picture of you on FB!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-22 6:35 AM
Since 2001 I have run a July 4th race every year but one.  I had to dig around the race calendars but I found a "4 on the 4th" event a couple towns east of here.  So I signed up.

Why mention this now?  Because the alternative to checking out races is work.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:23 AM
the alternative to checking out races is work   sounds like a new tag line to me.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-22 7:08 AM Edited 2017-06-22 7:11 AM
I'm with Dawn. I missed my calling on this one.

This is somewhat controversial...but....Since finishing my treatments I've been following McDougall. The hardest part at the beginning was no oil. But now it's not a problem. When go down the chip aisle all I smell is oil. (Not pleasant) I feel really good. He doesn't take away your bread, but no meat, animal products or oil. I know a lot of people think that is hard, but it's not once you stop. My doctors are amazed how I heal, but when I bring up my diet they just roll their eyes. Whatever! I've lost so much confidence in western medicine. Didn't think that was possible.:laugh::laugh: This is working for me.

Today 25 minutes run/walk felt good. Had an adjustment yesterday. I haven't had one since my surgery because I can't lay on my stomach, (won't go into why - might be TMI for some) but I tried it yesterday and she didn't apply any pressure to my upper back. She adjusted my knee and it felt good today.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:05 AM
I'm off to google McDougall.  sounds like the first line to a song. 

I have a girlfriend diagnosed with breast cancer and is unable to treat with chemotherapy.  She is eating clean, using only natural fibers in her clothing and bedding and using essential oils.  That, and a lot of prayer.  I understand your western medicine comment.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:22 AM
I wish I didn't do chemo. The Neulasta shot I got after every treatment was horrific. I couldn't walk afterward it was that painful. I never experienced pain like that. Chris swears that is why I have joint and bone pain now. I eat mostly organic. I make my own juice, when I drink juice (mostly carrot juice). No meat, animal products, oil, or processed food. When my hair wasn't growing back I rubbed Rosemary and lavender on my scalp it started growing after that. (of course the docs say--it just took yours longer. Yeah ok!) sounds like she's being smart!! :hug::hug: My docs hate me right now. I listened to everything they said in the beginning and it made me feel worse, so I quit listening to them and doing my own thing and I started feeling so much better. They can't find anything to lecture me on so the last thing was oh you need Vitamin D. :roll::roll::roll:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 9:06 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 9:42 AM
If I rubbed Rosemary on my scalp, Sam would hit me! Or did you mean the essential oil? :laugh:: pbbt:
I use lavender in a diffuser every night.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:57 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:I never know if you're messing wit me? :wtf::mischief: I rinsed my scalp with a rosemary rinse I made, then massaged rosemary, lavender and peppermint essential oil mixed in Argan oil on my scalp. People would come to the door and say "are you practicing aromatherapy?" Ummm... made the house smell awesome. But I have hair now, it's curly and wild but it's there!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Really you diffuse lavender at night? Never would have guessed that. :wink::happy:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-23 8:24 AM
yes lavendar at night. to relax and sleep better.
4 of us have/had Lyme disease. so we have been using some oils to treat that, along with the antibiotics from the docs.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:04 PM
Deb

I am sorry for all that you are going through.  My late Mom underwent chemo and radiation and I remember how much she hated the after effects -- burns on her chest and taste buds gone.

If what you are doing is helping you, then just keep doing it.

Glad to see you posting again!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-22 2:00 PM
Thanks! I didn't have to have radiation. The one oncologist I really liked and connected with was the radio-oncologist. He never got to treat me, but totally got me. I loved talking to him. My oncologist was mad he said I didn't need radiation. I think she thinks I talked him out of it. She just wants to kill every cell in the body no matter what. :shocker!:: pbbt::mutmad:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-22 8:40 AM
Did coffee and cereal before run walk.  I don't know if it matters. 

Diets.  I believe what works for one will not necessarily work for others.  First you have to "buy into it" and be motivated to stick.  Second, I believe the diet has to address the cause of weight and that's not always easy.   

At a rest stop on the autobahn in Germany, I pointed out a big visual to my friend Gary.  Standing at the entrance, you were not bombarded with rows of salty snacks.  In fact it was just one little section.  But I did have the best piece of homemade Oma's Plum Kuchen.  WOW that was good.  Even in the rest stop there is homemade stuff....  on real plates with real forks. 

More elder care,  Take Aunt Shirley for hearing aid adjustment.  Lots of time eaten up this week with elder care.   It was so good to wheel Lynda's mom outside nursing home yesterday to see flowers and talk on phone.  Only about 4th time in 2 years she has been outdoors.   She really enjoyed it. 

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 9:08 AM
I saw the pic of Lynda's mom.  I can't imagine not being outdoors.  I get witchy when the snow/ice or heat/humidity keep me in for a couple of days.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:05 PM
You are a good man Tom Parkins!

It must have been a real treat for Lynda's Mom to get outside.  I am sure that lifted her spirits!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 9:13 AM
Sorry for the afterthought but

Happy Birthday to Ron.   Hope you check in today!!!!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 12:57 PM
Happy Birthday Ron!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 9:27 AM
Good morning Dawn!

I am running a Dawn 10k at lunch time.

Had a nice dinner out with my Bride last night.

Diet-I feel best when I eat lean proteins, lots of veggies and fruit, and not a lot of sugar and starch. the trick is making myself stick to that :roll:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:06 PM
So what was on the menu?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 1:48 PM
A bit of everything. A fondue place Sam has been wanting to go to, but I have been resisting. Decided to be nice for a change, surprised her and took her there.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:49 PM
The Melting Pot?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 1:50 PM
Yup that's the one,
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-23 12:22 PM
I have never been to one.  The lady in my Alpha class went Tuesday night with her granddaughter.  Her first time also and they both enjoyed it.  So I need to put it on my list.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 12:05 PM
6.23 sweaty lunch time miles done.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-22 12:23 PM
The Dawn 10k plus a tiny bit more.   I like it.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 1:47 PM
Just trying to keep you happy :hug:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:06 PM
Good job!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 12:58 PM
Good afternoon!

Worked outside helping my husband with some tree trimming and now we are inside chilling.

Nothing much going on otherwise.

Stay cool!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:00 PM
I had to google Whole30 diet.   I just try to eat in moderation and not be too sedentary.  I can go without certain foods but if you tell me I have to, then I just have the hardest time.  Weird!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:27 PM
Lots of fruits and veggies and whole wheat carbs.  I probably need more protein, but I get enough to keep going I guess.

This morning I went to the trail and ran 20.02 miles.  It's raining now and supposed to rain all night and tomorrow so I figured a long trail run sounded good before the rain.  It was humid, but I had the entire trail to myself.  Saw no one.

Makayla works again tonight.  She is liking her job at Lee's Recipe chicken.  I just can't go to sleep until she gets home which is usually around 10:30. 

Probably will watch Louisville in the College World Series tonight.  If they lose tonight then they're out.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-22 1:49 PM
20 miles of trail with no one around sounds Awesome!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:51 PM
If a runner farts in the forest......
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-22 1:50 PM
Nice going on the trails.   I bet you are one of the few Americans who does not need a diet. 

In today's paper they have a piece on walking.  There is a 100 mile walk. It done in 5 days with 20 miles each.  I suspect that's pretty challenging, over the days.  But Moose would just run the whole thing. No Problem.
Parent - - By rungear [us] Date 2017-06-22 3:15 PM
Lots of fruits and veggies --- a okay/good/best
Parent - By rungear [us] Date 2017-06-22 3:17 PM
Oh yeah, and low, low, low levels of sodium and sugar (natural is okay) in all food!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Whole 30 Thursday