Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Be it Resolved This Monday.....
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 7:52 AM
What have you resolved to get done today or this week or by the end of this month (which is this week :shocker!:)   Tell us your progress toward those goals and how you're feeling.  Please tell us about today's work out and also your weekend. 

Bonus:  If you had a friend visiting from another country, what novel or movie would you recommend they read / see to get a good introduction to the US?  Or if that's too complicated, just tell us your fav American novel or film.  Whatever.  Just share.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-26 9:49 AM
I am resolved to summarizing 75 pages of information on a potential new deal, down to a one page summary before the end of the week. I have been working on this for two days already and my brain is currently very fried.  For the first 12 years in the role in I have had for the past 25 years, I worked for a guy who demanded a one page summary. If one couldn't provide background, strengths/weaknesses/mitigators, industry analysis and a financial summary on one page, he believed we did not know the deal. This fella would SCREAM and publicly humiliate people who could not provide an appropriate one pager.....this happened to me several times.  That torture paid off as now, this skill sets me apart from just about all my coworkers.  (This isn't to say I always do it correctly or the deal is a good deal, but at least the decision makers can make a decision faster!)

While it was a coolish morning....72 and the humidity was not awful....I decided not to run.  I had a 20/10 weekend and my legs are tired.  I will pool run on my lunch and go to boxing class after work tonight.  After boxing class, a neighborhood college girl, is going to give a couple of us ladies a swimming class as we all want to start swimming laps.  She has taught swimming for two years and we conned her into this.  We all can "swim", but our strokes are atrocious.  My goal is to swim a fraction as well as indie!

Bonus:  Not a novel or movie, but I would recommend they watch The West Wing so they could see what many Americans really feel about.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:25 AM
Good luck with the summary.  That is a formidable challenge!  Great idea to opt for water for at least part of today's workout.  I'll bet it will feel great!!

Great suggestion for "West Wing."  What a cast!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:11 AM
Once you get lap swimming down you can get some time in on a road bike & start doing triathlons!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:28 AM
The West Wing :hug: I am almost up to where TWWW is, only about 3 episodes behind. Love it.

a one page summary is a great goal to have for a concise summary, but that is a tough exercise.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:18 AM
For the past several months I've been fighting a perpetual battle. It goes like this:
1. Make kids put stuff away
2. Stuff gets put away
3. Stuff gets taken out again and used
4. Go back to #1

But...yesterday I dropped the 2 younger ones off at camp. When I got home I went on a cleaning rampage. It felt sooooo good because I realized the house will actually STAY CLEAN for a few weeks once I put their clutter away. I've resolved to get the house clean so that I can enjoy it that way for a few weeks.

6.5 miles this morning with 2 friends. Beautiful outside.

Bonus: Probably something by Mark Twain or John Steinbeck
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:23 AM
The nicest thing about getting clutter cleaned up is all the cool stuff you find in the process !!  Hope camp is as good for the kids as the quiet time is good for you :wink:

Bonus:  oh yes, good choices:  Huck Finn made our list.  I didn't choose Steinbeck simply because his work, like most of my favorite authors, is set in the west.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:29 AM
My house stays "relatively" uncluttered while blazergirl is at college.  Within minutes of her return, the house is a mess.  Her disgustingness makes it very easy to send her back to school in the fall.:roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:26 AM
the clutter thing is insane. Enjoy your two weeks of a clean home!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:19 AM
I am resolved to live through the terrible conditions of summer and try to maintain training as best I can :laugh::laugh::laugh: so I can have a good shot at a marathon in New Hampshire in October of this year.    That said, things did not get off to a great start on Saturday when the temp was 82 and the dew point 77 when we started.  Met my RP for a planned 12-14 mile run which was good for the first 10 miles.  I loved that J saw a couple of women on the path ahead of us and decided we needed to road kill them :evil:   Unfortunately just a mile after accomplishing that goal, she was done and I left her to walk in the last 1.5 miles.  Actually, as I hoped, once she'd walked a half mile, she rallied and was able to finish, so it wasn't as terrible as it sounds.  DH was riding his bike nearby and had checked on her too.  I forget that she has not raced longer than a half marathon, and has not been running during the week since her half on the first weekend in June, so it's kind of a miracle she was able to run as well as she did, especially under the very humid conditions.  Ah youth!  She had a birthday in May and when she said she was going into a new AG I thought she turned 40.  No.  She just turned 30 :shocker!::shocker!:  An RN, a charge nurse, married with two kids, I just assumed she was older.  I'm impressed at how much she's accompllshed already.

Yesterday's recovery was nothing but recovery - bleah, and today was speed: 6 x .5 miles.  Dew point was 74, which is not as bad as 77, but still not much fun.  It wasn't an impressive workout except that I was able to talk myself into it and see it through to the finish.

Bonus:  DD posed this question to me as she has a friend visiting from Spain who asked for something very American to read.  My favorites are Western Lit - just about anything by Willa Cather, but especially "Song of the Lark" for readers with artistic gifts.  "O Pioneers" is a close second.  For someone in New England, of course "The Crucible" or "The Scarlet Letter" but NOT the most recent film versions !!!   Then I thought of "Little Women," and I think that is the work they will choose.  Honorable mention went to "Last of the Mohicans" not because it's a good adaption of the novel because it isn't, but because it has incredible cinematography and Daniel Day Lewis that's reason enough :cool::grin:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-26 10:31 AM
Which NH marathon?
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:42 AM
LOCO Marathon  New Market, New Hampshire.  Supposedly about 90 min for DD's place.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:25 AM
I guess the being 30 thing at least helps with her recovery!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:07 AM Edited 2017-06-26 11:10 AM
We have the 2nd race in the series our running club puts on tomorrow night so I resolve to get all the prep. I need to do done today!  So far I've prepared the six 1st place trophies (we have 3 distances/3 races in tomorrow's event)...repurposed trophies with new engraving plates.  That's ~20% of the prep. work I need to get done.  Summer solstice was last week but sunset tomorrow is the latest for the year which works out well since we have up to a 10.95 mile race.  We also start 1/2 hour earlier at 6:30pm so hopefully we'll have everyone done before dark.  It's also forecast to be 20 degrees cooler (74°) at race time than it was for our last race 2 weeks ago!  :happy:

Weekend was relaxing.  DD & her DH took us out for dinner Friday night for my BD.  Saturday was a lazy day, we had heavy storms early in the am so I decided the roads would still be too wet & full of debris to ride outside & I went to the gym & took a cycling class. Yesterday was an SDO.  This morning I taught class, did core & shoulder PT exercises and got a short 500 meter swim in. 

On Wednesday morning & Thursday night I'm "taking" my cycling class surfing!  We're going to build up in stages to an approximate 100' wave...the world record is apparently 111' :shocker!:   Should be fun & they will need to use their imaginations  :laugh:  Appropriate music will be in the playlist.

Bonus:  Fast Times At Ridgemont High :roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:24 AM
nice workout today!
I'm jealous
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-26 2:12 PM
I hope one of your music selections for the class is the opening theme from "Jaws" :evil:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-26 5:24 PM
Sorry :sad:

Song      -      Artist
Waves - Cosmic Dawn Mashup (Warmup)
Fire with Fire - Scissor Sisters  (1st "paddle out)
Surfin' U.S.A. - The Beach Boys (20' wave)
Summer in the City - Lovin Spoonful (30' wave)
In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry (40' wave)
Surfin' Safari - The Beach Boys (regroup/paddle back out)
Walking On Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves (50' wave)
Cake by the Ocean (B Remix) - D'Mixmasters (60' wave)
Hawaii Five-O Theme Song - 50 TV Themes (regroup/paddle back out)
Takin' Care Of Business - Bachman-Turner Overdrive (70' wave)
Californication -   Red Hot Chili Peppers (80' wave)
Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - Bobby Vinton (regroup/paddle back out)
Life During Wartime - Talking Heads (100' wave)
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett (cooldown)
Summer Nights - Olivia Newton-John & John Travolta (cooldown/stretch)
California Girls - The Beach Boys (stretch/cleanup/close up room)
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2017-06-26 11:23 AM
It is the last week of the quarter, I just need to get to Friday. I guess also resolved to do all the other things that need to get done! I guess resolving to call my senators every day this week might count.

Today was 5 on the treadmill. I wanted to do 6, but N woke up. This time of year, R and I alternate who gets to run outside. Today was his day, so I got the wake-up.

RP was visiting this weekend, so we got to run together yesterday which was fun.

Bonus hmm, this is a good question. Movie-maybe the Ken Burns "National Parks" documentary. What does he want to understand about the US? pop culture? history? regional differences? Etc. It is hard. I would be curious though, in other countries what is taught as 'American literature'
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-26 12:15 PM
We're going to Lake Placid for a three day weekend and leaving Thursday immediately after I get home from work on Thursday to maximize our time up there. I've resolved to make sure that the car is 100% packed up and ready to go the second I get home since it's about an 8 hour drive and I get home around 5PM. This resolution of mine will require that other family members also do their part so we shall see but as the person who will most likely be driving at 1AM after working all day, I'm resolved to ensure that it happens.

Run was my usual 3.1 miles. In much better weather.

As those who are FB friends with me may have seen, Shawn is having new problems and we've learned that he still has some small tumors on some cranial nerves. There's other stuff going on, too, that is once again not adding up. I talked with his doctor this morning. She's working on getting me recommendations for a second opinion. We just want a fresh set of eyes on all of this right now. Shawn's been telling me that he wants to go to New York City for as long as I can remember so I'm hoping for the one at Memorial Sloan Kettering. Although I suppose that's not really what he had in mind for the NYC trip :laugh::cry:

Bonus: The Handmaid's Tale (kidding, but only sorta)
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-26 6:44 PM
Lake Placid is one of my two favorite places on earth! Have a great time!

I live very close to Manhattan, if you need anything at all if/when you end up at Sloan Kettering, do not hesitate to contact me!

Your Bonus: Yes.:sad:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-06-27 6:19 AM
Thanks. I'll let you know. But funny thing - my friend from CHOP oncology who lives in the same town as you chose CHOP vs. MSK in part because of the easier commute for them!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-28 6:32 AM
Rush hour travel into Manhattan is insane. But I usually go in very early in the morning, and aim to leave before or after rush hour- it's crowded, but not the absolute hell that rush hour is. Unfortunately, public transportation is totally f*cked this summer because of construction or something on the tracks, so rush hour will be even worse.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-26 1:22 PM
I resolve not to run this week.
I resolve to start work on my self review of my imperatives.
I resolve to go to the driving range this week and work on my ball striking.

No run today. Lawn mowing and dog walking. Did a few short walks this weekend on the trails. SirB tagged along since the walks were short. Also played a round of golf yesterday. Thankfully my putting/short game was good or I would have been in deep do-do score wise.

Bonus: National Lampoon's Vacation. Shows many places on the great road trip out west.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-26 4:30 PM
Last Saturday, I resolved to finish cleaning and disinfecting the basement, and moving all the gym equipment that's been spilling over into the living room and den down there, by this Friday. But it looks like it may take slightly longer than I thought.:roll: I have made some good progress, I've got about 6 boxes of kitchen and misc. items and 4 bags of clothing all ready to go for the Vietnam Veterans group that will come get it on Wednesday, and I've hauled up some huge bags of trash. But I've got to say, the mountains of mice crap down there are really getting to me. I feel like I am tunneling through Turd Mountain, except there is no light at the end of this tunnel!: pbbt: I've already filled a vacuum bag, and I've sprayed the entire basement with a bleach solution. But then I made what might be a fatal error- I took a break. Today I said I'd take a break until tonight, but now it's tonight, and I just can't face it right now. The only thing that might get me down there again is that I know the basement will be a kick-ass workout area when I am done with it. :grin:

No workout today, even though I've been in my running clothes all day. I ran 8 yesterday, and decided to do a local 5 mile race Thursday night, so I'm trying to let my legs rest a bit. Food has been way too much lately. Philip and I went to an excellent Spanish restaurant in the Iron Bound District of Newark yesterday, pigged out on seafood paella and sangria.:hug:

Bonus: The Big Short.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2017-06-26 6:27 PM
I am on the fence about Sunset on Thursday since I am in pretty terrible shape from injuries and other assorted crap in my life. Doing a track workout in the morning and if it goes ok, maybe I will see you Thursday. Sad about Tom Flemming but a nice gesture to name the race after him.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2017-06-26 6:40 PM
So sad about Tom Fleming! I saw him all the time coaching at the Brookdale Park Track. :sad:

I'm in shit shape too, but I need a "before picture" to gauge my progress with for when I start NYCM training soon. So I'll get out there, maybe I'll wear a disguise so no one will recognize me.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-26 5:43 PM
After a fairly pathetic March and April, I have resolved the last two months to try and get my mileage back on pace to get 1200 miles for the year. I was doing great and then yesterday the motivation to catch up by the end of June is completely gone. Part of it because I am on call 8 of the next 9 nights and ALWAYS get paged when I run. I am pretty sure there is a spy camera somewhere and as soon as I head out, someone from the Answering Service just sends me pages they have been holding for hours.:roll:. I did go for three miles today. I should have no problem getting in 6 miles by Friday but damn does that seem like a lot of miles right now!:laugh:

Bonus:I have no idea. I like Blazer's answer, so I'll go with that!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-27 9:25 AM
:hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Be it Resolved This Monday.....