Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday - 6/29
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-29 6:58 AM
It's time to start thinking about resolutions for the 2nd half of the year. 

What are your plans?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2017-06-29 7:00 AM
I still haven't decided on a resolution for the first half.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-29 7:19 AM
procrastinator.:wink:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-29 7:02 AM
I don't really do resolutions but I have a desire to try to get my mileage up in the second half of the year so it started me thinking down that road.  I may start out by trying to at least get up to 20 miles a week.  I have averaged 13.77 per week so far this year so it will be a jump.  It all depends on how my back behaves.

Today I was at the park for 3.28 miles.  It's probably the last comfortable run weather wise for the foreseeable future.  Looks like we're heading back to daily highs near 90 and nightly lows in the upper 60's with humidity.  Typical crappy WV weather. :roll:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-29 7:19 AM
I didn't do so well with my first set of resolutions so I probably should make a new set.   Karen's marathon training has me thinking about that.  But I know I won't do one.  And besides, long runs make me long for cooler weather and I shouldn't start wishing the summer away quite so soon.

I think I am going to concentrate more on yoga.  Amy came back from college quite a bit heavier than when she went.  I've got her started on yoga and it is something we can do together.  Kind of diffuses the job-hunting tension too.  And like you Dave, 20 mile weeks would be a good goal for me too.

I read today that Thursday is officially the pre-Friday.  So happy pre-Friday to you all!!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-29 11:49 AM
Trail run this morning.  18.04 miles.  I thought of going 20, but I was tired and it was getting hot, so when I made it back to my vehicle I couldn't will myself to do a one mile out and back.  I'm good with that.

We've had VBS all week in the evenings.  Going well.  Having around 20 kids each night.  Tomorrow is the last night.

I need to revise my resolutions.  I had a certain running mileage goal and a reading goal, but I'm off pace.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-29 12:23 PM
That's a good number of kids.  Lisa and Jacob are helping with their VBS this year too and the pictures look like they've had a good turnout.  I think kids really enjoy VBS.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-29 12:46 PM
I hated VBS when I was a kid and there was an article yesterday about VBS driving people away from the church:
https://thefederalist.com/2017/06/28/vacation-bible-school-drove-millennials-away-church/

Just in case you all needed another viewpoint.  :roll: :grin:

(I didn't actually read past the headline of the article so I can't vouch for the content.  It could be crap reasoning like 99% of the internet.)
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2017-06-29 1:07 PM
The article makes good points or some things to think about.  Don't agree with all of it.  I think that VBS can be done well or it can be done badly.  The author goes to great lengths to criticize VBS curriculum's role in harming the church, suggests that pastors write their own curriculum, then he offers VBS curriculum to sell from his own website.:roll:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2017-06-29 1:12 PM
My reason for disliking VBS is from my overall dislike of being around people in general, having my day scheduled, and being told what to do.  Even as a youngster I preferred to be left alone.  I had no problems with the content (that I remember).
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-29 1:45 PM
Thanks for sharing that.  I read for awhile and then skimmed to the end.  I guess my own experience with VBS as a kid was quite different and I wasn't aware of how it is done currently.  We had nuns come and teach for a week.  You could count on the fact that one would be young, pretty, and play the guitar.  Otherwise I never saw a nun or heard guitar music in my church.  It was just nicely different than the usual school year stuff when someone's parent tried to follow a text book and get some religion into us.:happy:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2017-06-29 12:08 PM
Did the Dawn at lunch. It was hot and sweaty. 6.24 done.

I will try and be prettier the 2nd half of this year.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2017-06-29 12:22 PM
:grin:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-30 7:03 AM
:laugh::laugh: Always the wise one!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2017-06-29 3:19 PM
Did I post already?  Guess not.

The roofers finished yesterday -- yea!  The heat returned in full force today -- boo!

Did my workout video this morning and then went to my morning book club.   And while there, got "wrangled" into doing one more thing, but it truly is just one time and for a good cause.

That is it from the land of HOTT!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2017-06-30 7:07 AM
Ok a wee bit late...
Although I did post this on the Friday daily.

I went to an Ahimsa class yesterday. I joined a Meetup group for vegans and it's one of their weekly meet ups. It was amazing!! I haven't done a real yoga class in years, so I wasn't sure. And my PS told me not to yoga for a while, but last I saw him (we don't quite have a meeting of the minds--I'm always bugging him about what I can do) he said (exasperatingly--is that a word) "do what you want!" So I am! : pbbt::mutmad::evil: Hate doctors!!! I told the yoga instructor and she watched me on didn't poses and her class was tough but gentle, if that makes sense.

What? Resolutions for the second half? Really?!?

Ok run a race by years end. I keep getting emails from the Feaster Five. It's their 30th anniversary and they have anniversary hoodies. Hmmm I would like to run the Devil's Chase too...but we shall see. the FF has a 5K, whereas the Devil's chase of course is 6.66, but one of my favorite races....
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday - 6/29