Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Happy 10th Birthday iPhone Thursdaily
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-29 11:44 AM
Today is the iPhone's 10th birthday :meh:   Yeah, I was having a really hard time coming up with a topic so this is what we get :shocker!:

Do you own/use a cell phone?  Is it a "smart phone"?  If so, how long have you had one?

The usual...run...workout...food & drink...blather, etc.

Bonus:  Do you have a land line & if so, is it "touch tone" or rotary? :laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-06-29 12:14 PM
I first got a cell phone in 1996. We used it as an "emergency phone" for me, DW or our kids to have if one of us were driving a long distance, late at night, etc.  I think 30 minutes of calling were included & then it was 50 cents a minute for calls over that time.  After several years, the provider offered a deal to have up to 4 phones on the plan, sharing the 30 minutes and > 30 minute rate with no additional charge except the cost of the phones (~$50 each).  The service provider was a local, now national, cable company that got out of the wireless phone business but is now getting back in using WiFi "hotspots" for part of their network.  Our original phones were 6" X 2" X 1" thick and were definitely NOT text or internet capable.  My current cell # is still the one from our original phone...which for some reason I still have stuck away in the corner of a closet.    I migrated to a text capable flip phone some years later and an iPhone about 3-1/2 years ago. 

I did shoulder PT exercises at home this morning and will teach cycling class this evening.  I'm debating going in earlier this afternoon to swim...I'm also debating doing a sprint triathlon (aquabike) on Saturday & the two are kinda related...meaning I'll swim tomorrow instead, if I decide to do the tri on Saturday...so I need to make up my mind soon!.

Pizza & beer tonight!

Bonus:  we still have what resembles a land line & the phone number from our original land line but due to Verizon's crappy service on the copper infrastructure in our neighborhood and their inability to extend FIOS from an adjoining street, we switched to a wireless received box in our house that's connected, by wires, to 3 phone extensions.  My family had a rotary phone in the house I grew up in until ~1967.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-06-29 1:17 PM
I am still the king of the flip phone. :laugh: :cool:

It works well, makes phone calls and even receives texts for the times I am on call for work. Plus it fits easily in the pocket of my running shorts.

Plan is to go to the driving range tonight, pound some golf balls, and work on my swing.

Bonus: No true land line, but I have a regular desk/office phone but it's wired into my cable modem. So it's a land line in a way I suppose.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-30 9:42 AM
Blazerman has a work phone like the one you have.....I never understood how it worked, but now I do!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-06-30 9:52 AM
It's Friday, but I will post here, cuz I don't want Ed to feel ignored.:laugh::hug:

I got my first cell phone in 1994 as it was a requirement for my job at the time.  Of course, I basically used it for personal stuff at the time.  I think my employer payed the bill for at least the first 7-8 years and after that we were required to submit the detailed bill, noting what calls were business and what were personal.  Of course, this was before there were the types of plans we have today.  I am very lucky that this employer let me keep my cell number even though they had originally "provided" it for me.  Before I left them in 2010, I had of course, upgraded the phone a few times and owned the phone. It would have sucked if I had to change the cell number I had for 16 years as by 2010, my cell had become my primary number.  The three employers I have had since then, all provided me a phone for work and they covered the bill, but that "number" belonged to the employer.  Hence, I carry two cells, one for work and my Real Life phone.  My assistant and boss are the only work people who use the Real Life number.

10 miles yesterday morning.  I attended a very nice retirement party last night which had me out late, so I slept in til 6:30 and didn't run this morning. I will pool run at lunch.

Bonus:  We also have the weird phone XT described in his post which is only used for blazerman's job.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-30 2:02 PM
I'll throw in here, too.  Thank you for starting the daily, Ed, even if I waited over a day to respond

Yesterday (Thurs) was a nice SDO which DH and I spent at the beach.  It was a quick trip but a nice break and we both agreed we should do it more often. 

Today was a short little run so I could save my energy for tomorrow's hot and humid LR. 

Phones -- our first mobile phone was contained in a bag.  DH used it because he managed two stores, one in Kansas, the other in Nebraska and they were a little over 200 miles apart. I think he spent as much time driving between the two as he did actually working. Yeah, we miss those days :roll:  First cell phone: DH and DS had two.  I thought they were silly gadgets until we went to a huge track meet and we couldn't find DS.  I use my iphone a lot but that has happened only in the past three years maybe.  I'm still a novice, but I have to admit I don't think it's just a gadget anymore.  No land line.  We would only need it for faxing so not worth the expense.
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-06-30 4:59 PM
I first got a cellphone in 1998, I think. I had just finished residency and had a huge Motorola thingie that I attached to my hip.:laugh: Since then I went through a few flip- phones one of which was fire red, although some with impaired visual senses thought was pink.:roll: It got stolen, but it left a legacy that never died.:meh: I am on my third iPhone. It works fine, but the battery charge is crappy. I don't know that I was to upgrade to the iPhone 7 just because I like my ear bud jack!:hug:

Run: 3 miles
Food: undetermined
Drink: undetermined
Blather: Tonight will be night #3 of 7 on call. the last two days were really busy in the office. I am dreading the next 4 days.:cry:

Bonus: yes. Touch tone!:cool:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-06-30 5:53 PM
The phone's color was burgundy
Parent - By Eric1970 Date 2017-07-02 10:02 PM
It was wasn't it?!:roll:

I've always loved you Enid and valued your spot on insight!:grin::hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Happy 10th Birthday iPhone Thursdaily