Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Holiday Monday Daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-03 9:19 AM
Is today a holiday for you? Or are you the only person in the office today? Or did you take today off to extend the weekend through tomorrow? If you are retired, is every day like a holiday? :wink:

Weekend recap
Today's run/workout
Holiday food/drink
Blather

Bonus: Do you ever work from home? Do you find it productive?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-03 9:50 AM
Today is NOT a holiday for me, but many of my customers are out this week, so I am catching up on blah-blah. I am also doing some research for a deal on I am working on.  If I was in the main office, I am sure it would only be me and the assistants, but I am working out of my office in a branch and they seem to be fully staffed today. I will likely leave by 2:00-3:00 as I need to make an avocado, tomato and cucumber salad for a BBQ we are going to this evening.....that is more important than the blah-blah I am working on!  I believe there will be pulled pork and chicken at this BBQ.  We went to a party on Saturday where the host had smoked a ton of brisket. It is a meat-filled few days!:laugh:

I had my second 20/10 weekend in a row which was exhausting.  That said, once again, it rained for a portion of my 20 miler which made it much more tolerable than one can hope for here in July. I went to the 5:45 am boxing class and then did an easy 3 miles afterwards so I don't feel guilty eating later. 

Blather: Recently, my manager tasked one of the junior members on our team to be in charge of the administrative staff as she worked her way up from that position.  This is a great opportunity for her as it provides her the chance to hone her managerial skills.  The problem is, she tends to micro-manage the staff and I think, may be trying to put my assistant on some sort of correction action.  A year ago, I stole my assistant from our former employer as she totally rocks.  The staff "manager" wants everyone to do things the way she did them when she had the job and that is not how my assistant and I function.  (I am an INCREDIBLY challenging person to support as I talk in circles and operate in organized chaos.)  I am a bit dismayed that this new "manager" is busting my gal's ass without even consulting me.  I think I need to have a face-to-face with this "manager" and let her know I think the assistant does a GREAT job and unless there is something specific which warrants corrective action, this will be an issue for me and I will have to take it up the ladder.  

Bonus: I do work at home at times, but mostly just to take conference calls and review the voluminous legal docs I have to deal with.  I find it challenging to actually WORK at as blazerman works from home.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-03 9:58 AM
All of your BBQ food sounds delicious! :grin:

What is the next race on your schedule?

Your blather: :roll::roll:
Parent - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-03 1:24 PM
I would find it very frustrating to have an assistant who reports to someone else.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:36 PM
Ah yes the "way we do things" managers :roll:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:51 PM
Weird, I was thinking of making a similar salad for tomorrow, but onions/peppers instead of avocado. That is a pain about your assistant. I am sure you will handle the situation.

blah blah blah TX smoked brisket. blah blah blah
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-03 9:55 AM
Today is not a holiday for me, the office is open! Although our NYC office is closed, grrr... I am one of very few people in the office today, and my boss feels guilty for that and he told me to work from home or at least leave early. If I weren't out of the office this Thursday and Friday, I would have probably taken today off to extend the weekend, but I don't have enough vacation days for that.

Weekend recap: 14 soggy miles Saturday morning: (2 easy, 2 MP, 2 tempo) x2, then 2 easy to cool down. There was not a dry spot on me when I was finished, but I must finally be getting acclimated to the heat because the run didn't totally suck. Yesterday I realized around noon that I wasn't going to hit my mileage goal for the week so I went out and ran 3 miles and exceeded my mileage goal. :roll: Fiancee and I took his kids to see Despicable Me 3 on Saturday and then we saw fireworks last night that we were so close to that we got pelted with the actual paper from the fireworks. :shocker!::laugh: It was a great show.

Today: 13 mile bike before work, swim of some undetermined distance at the town pool after work.
Holiday food/drink: we finally refilled the propane tanks, so there will be grilling! Probably chicken and veggies and turkey burgers.
Blather: I am traveling to Williamsburg, VA for a triathlon this weekend. I was supposed to do an Olympic tri in PA last year in August, but I re-broke my hand during the pre-ride. I deferred to this year, but the race date didn't work with my schedule, so I transferred my entry to Williamsburg. Since my marathon training was going so well, I didn't focus as much on my tri training, so I decided to drop down to the sprint distance. And now there are thunderstorms in the forecast. Williamsburg is a long way for me to travel to do a sprint tri in the first place, but if it gets cancelled or modified because of the weather, I am going to be super irritated! But then I guess we can just go see some sights and call it a mini vacation. :roll:

Bonus: I used to exclusively work from home when I worked for a publisher out of Michigan. It was super productive, I had my routines and I got to run during lunch in the winter time which was nice. I work from home occasionally now, and I still find it super productive since I have fewer interruptions and can just crank on whatever I need to get done.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:37 PM
Working from home is definitely so productive. Four hours today I got so much done.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:48 PM
Running at noon in the winter outdoors is a definite work at home perk. I make it a practice to put a block in my outlook calendar.  :blush: :cool:

I've been that close to fireworks a few times. My friend's boat in the DE river at New Years' comes to mind. We had the bonus of being greeted by the boat police too!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-03 10:04 AM
Today is not a holiday for me as the gym maintained a regular Monday schedule but will cut hours & classes offered tomorrow.  It was pretty "quiet" in the gym this morning and while I'd been averaging 12 riders at 6am on Monday mornings for the past month I got 7 this morning.  I had predicted among family & friends that I'd have 3 riders this morning so I consider 7 a "win"! While I am otherwise retired, not every day is like a holiday : pbbt:  BTW, where's our other retiree...who is now 70 years old?????

On Saturday I did a sprint triathlon in the aquabike category.  I will give my performance a :meh:  with the best result being getting thru the swim (advertised at 1/4 mi but reported by Garmin users as 550 - 600 yards) without any shoulder issues!  There were around 300 participants and we aquabikers were sent off in the final of 4 swim waves.  Since I'm not a fast swimmer, most of the bikes were gone by the time I got to the transition.  I did acquire bunches of "roadkill" during the 13.5 miles of the bike and didn't get passed myself until I got "chicked" (as a guy in my Tri club calls it) by a woman with ~3 miles to go.  Of course my goal for the rest of the race was to chase & pass her back.  I lost some ground as a mini van pulled ahead of me & then it got stuck behind 2 slow cyclists it couldn't pass right away due to oncoming traffic :cry:  If the course was 1/4 mile longer I would have caught her!

Salmon tonight, burgers tomorrow.

Bonus:  In my current job I actually do a lot of the work from home, designing a class profile and selecting the music to use with it.  Sure it's productive and it can be time consuming if I put something new together.  This morning's class however was only slightly modified from the last class I taught in 2016 just before July 4th as I couldn't justify putting too much effort into it for the 3 riders I expected...or the 7 I got.  Besides, only I, not them could figure out what class profile & patriotic playlist I used a year ago :laugh:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 2:11 PM
If the course was 1/4 mile longer I would have caught her!
:laugh:

Seems like you did okay, given the shoulder issues you've had in training.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:46 PM
You got chicked' and mini-van'd in the same race!! :laugh:

And LOL, whenever you say aquabiker I picture those floating pedal contraptions. That would be more my style!  : pbbt:

Seriously, good job on the race!  :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:10 PM
Nice job on the race!! :cool:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2017-07-03 10:24 AM Edited 2017-07-03 10:26 AM
Working today. About 2/3 of everyone at my workplace took a vacation day, so it's pretty quiet.

Tomorrow I'm racing a 5-miler in the beach town where my in-laws live. Strange things you never pictured yourself saying: "My girlfriend is coming with me and spending the day with my in-laws." I should count myself lucky that I have a great relationship with them and they're totally open to and supportive of me moving into the next chapter of my life.

6.5 miles this morning

Dinner with my brother-in-law at the local pub tonight, with a big thank you to the basketball parents who chipped in and gave me a gift card.

Bonus: I work from home on occasion. I usually find I'm less productive and easily distracted, but it's enjoyable.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:43 PM
That is an odd thing to say. This has been a great day to catch up on BS paperwork as it's been so quiet work wise (emails/calls).
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:12 PM
Hope you are having a nice day with your girlfriend and inlaws. :)
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-07-03 11:51 AM
Yes and no. I am on call for the holiday weekend. July 3 technically is not a holiday, but we decided to close the office to give the staff an extra day off since they wee working hard due to some staff shortages for much of April. Since I was already on call for the evening,and the night prior, I just took call during the day (also because no one else volunteered to do it).

Weekend recap: sat - no run, yesterday 5 mi,
Today: will likely go to gym to run 5mi. It is really hot out.:meh:
Holiday: going to a friend's for BBQ tomorrow. We may try and do some hiking. I just have to bring the watermelon and wine, so I will slice that tomorrow morning
Blather: I leave for a conference on Wednesday in Washington by the Columbia Gorge. I am excited because the marathon I really wanted to do in PR was in this area, but due to scheduling, I opted for a coast race. The place is about an hour away from Portland. The conference is also half days, so I hope to get some hiking in and some rest!

Blather: the stuff I do at home is more administrative, practice management stuff since I don't have time in the office to do it without either extending the day or cutting patient office hours.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 2:09 PM
Columbia Gorge is such a beautiful area. Are you staying in Hood River?
Parent - - By Eric1970 Date 2017-07-03 2:20 PM
Not in the river, no. : pbbt: The coference is at Skamania, in Stevenson, WA.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:42 PM
Oooh nice... so scenic out there, and good beer too!

We are on-call buddies this week. Mine has been quiet, but it still puts a damper on your plans.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:42 PM
it's been really pleasant temp wise here. i hope that continues for you at the gorge!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:13 PM
Enjoy your time in WA! :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 12:22 PM
No holiday here, plus I have daytime on-call but it is very quiet in the work department. Catching up on BS paperwork. I probably would have taken a vacation today had it not been my week in the on-call bucket.

Workout and blather: No running. Day 16 and counting. Not sure it is making a difference. It's not that my knee feels awful but I walked a round of golf Friday late afternoon/evening and had some soreness the next day. I decided to just bit the bullet and schedule MRI to see if anything else is up. I have to go see the ortho next week to get the order/script though. Did a few dog walks in the 1-3 mile range. That is the plan tonight. Will do some running this week to ensure I am properly gimpy and sore for next week's appointment.

Weekend recap: Pretty much dullsville around here since I was on-call. Did some yardwork, power dives, reading on the deck, went to a bar/pub on the Manatawney River that could have been an awesome place but the food was so-so and the service horrible. THey did have a great on tap beer selection at least.

Bonus: Yes. Always. I am way more productive at home then when I travel.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:39 PM
It probably wasn't the walking for golf that caused the soreness.  Don't you think the torque of the swing take its toll?  DH struggles with that and wears a support thing on his knee to try and head off knee pain.  16 days of no running sounds just awful :cry:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:40 PM
I thought about torque, yes, but hit balls at the range with little to know impact (unless it was delayed 48 hours) and that is a lot more full swings than an 18 hole round of golf.
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 2:06 PM
Enid has a good point about the torque on the knee during the swing?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:39 PM
So you are saying I am so decrepit now that even golf causes me to hobble.   :cry: :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:41 PM
sorry about the continued knee woes. enjoy that run to get properly gimpy! :shocker!:

with the friends here, one of them had a gose beer.  very, very strange. i didn't like it at all.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:15 PM
It is very important to be properly gimpy for the doctor's appointment!
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 12:31 PM
I did take today off, then changed to work half a day because there was some stuff I needed to finish, well I won't go into it, will ruin my mood.  I m so ready to retire. : pbbt: 

Weekend: was pretty chill. Got some running in. Did some chores. Got a haircut.

Today was a day off. Might go swim. or not....:p

Bonus: Yes at my previous job, we had every Friday as work from home. I find it very productive and I think the company found it productive. In fact I am now mainly looking for remote jobs, or at least jobs where I can be remote 3 days/week. It's silly that companies don't let you do that. The last few weeks at my current job, I have exclusively worked with people who are in other locations. In the next phase I'll have two guys who are in India.
A discussion I saw today on FB, a recruiter posted that she had a candidate who currently works from home refuse to interview with another company even for more money and benefits because it would mean giving up remote work. She said it was a trend she was seeing and wanted to know who had all made that same choice. I would take a paycut to be able to work from home for sure.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:36 PM
DS has only worked from his home since he started in 2012.  :shocker!:  How strange is that?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:38 PM
I was given the option a year or two ago about taking a new role but it would be at the corporate office every day. I didn't even ask if the pay would be more. I'd be giving up 2 hours of my life every day for the commute. So not worth it if you have a choice.

I bet in 4 hours you get a ton more work done than you would at the office.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:39 PM
it is silly if a company doesn't allow for remote work. but i have heard that some are pulling back. they made a big deal with our big remodel that allowing for more remote work means they need less real estate which means less money.  :wtf:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:18 PM
I don't know why companies don't allow for more remote work scenarios. We have all this technology, why not use it? Employee satisfaction would go way up, and they would be more productive. It seems like a win-win for all involved. But I'm using logic here :roll:
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-03 1:03 PM
Today is not a holiday for me. Our office is open. About half the staff are here, maybe a little less. Piece of cake commute this morning, very little traffic.

We're going to our local fireworks tonight. I love that our town does them on the 3rd since it makes it easier to be up late since I won't have to work tomorrow. Shawn's cub scout troop is leading the 4th of July parade tomorrow so I can't sleep in TOO late but I rarely sleep past 6AM these days anyway so that's no big deal. We're not sure that he'll be able to walk the whole length of the parade so our plan is that his father will drop him off at the start, then walk next to the parade on the sidewalk so Shawn can bail if he needs to. His grandparents will do the middle stretch and I will do the end. We're also not sure that he'll make it through the fireworks and we're trying to come up with a plan since we are going to walk there and back. It's about a mile each way but down a hill to get there and up a hill to get home. His energy is so low and, as usual, his doctors can't explain why. :sad:

We were in the Adirondaks over the weekend. I did a little trail running on the first day but there has been so much rain up there that a lot of the trails were in rough shape in terms of mud and water. On the second day I didn't bother and just ran on the main road, which still involved some pretty hefty hills. Back to my usual 3.1 mile neighborhood route this morning. :meh:

Bonus: Very rarely, outside of sometimes doing something that I either forgot to do at work or that has a deadline and I ran out of time while at the office. When we're closed for weather I'll keep an eye on things from home.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:34 PM
I really enjoyed your pics from the weekend.  It looked a beautiful getaway. 

So here's a thought from out in left field about the parade.  Do cub scouts still have soap box derbies and if so, could Shawn "ride" in one of the cars?
Parent - - By OxyJen Date 2017-07-03 1:41 PM
Sadly, no, no soap box cars. But that's a great idea if they did!

For tonight's fireworks, we're debating between driving one of our cars down immediately after work, parking it close to the park, then walking home. That way we can get a close spot without having to leave super early and the car will be there when we're ready. That will also mean that we'll sit in traffic for a long time if he does happen to make it to the end. The other option is that since we'll have four adults, one of us can go get the car and drive back to pick him up if necessary. And sometimes he surprises us and has tons of energy. Not often lately, though.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 2:01 PM
Is it an option to see if there's a golf cart or something you can borrow or get a ride. Our city events often have a couple to help people with small children, elderly folks etc.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:42 PM
The photographs looked beautiful. Hope Shawn enjoys his time at the parade. I like Enid's idea, can he "ride" the parade?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:35 PM
Bummer about the mucked up trails. I bet it was gorgeous up there.

I agree with you on the fireworks thing. Seems there should be a standard buffer holiday for July 4th!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:31 PM
loved the photos! Hope you figured out a solution for fireworks
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:20 PM
Loved your pics from the weekend. :grin: Hope Shawn made it though the parade. :hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:31 PM
Weekend:  LR on Saturday with RP, who was in much better shape this time, 14 kick-ass miles; Sunday 6 recovery miles; today was a reluctant try at mile repeats.  I was just going to do two of them, but the first one was more like a tempo run than a mile interval:meh:, so I pulled on my big girl panties and pounded out one more.  It would have been better to take another recovery day before doing speedwork, but we have to get to a parade early tomorrow, so that won't work, then Wednesday DH has an early dental appointment for which he needs my chauffeur services.  Thursday we want another beach day, so that's another early start. 

Bonus:  I work from home all the time now :cool: I appreciate the freedom, but it is hard to stay focused, and the house is small, so it's not like I can go shut myself into a room and eliminate distractions.  And let's be real:  sometimes the distractions are not external :roll:  so I have to say NOT very productive, but I still like it a lot more than I like dealing with difficult customers and one of my former bosses :evil:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-03 2:00 PM
Good job getting in the run!

Cool on the new job. Is it something local? I find when I work form home, it helps to have a schedule - shower, dress up, have a "work desk" even if it's your dining table. Schedule short5 minutes breaks. Lunch at a fixed time and get away form the "desk". All of it helps get into the work mindset. Also set a time when you stop, it's easy to just let your day go on.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-03 4:43 PM
Sorry, I was being a wise-ass :evil:   I am completely retired now but I like to think I'm still working as in maintaining our living space and preparing to sell it some day in the next couple of years.  We still have too much stuff, and it continually needs to be sorted through and sent away.  A schedule is still a good idea though.  I should work on developing one.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-04 10:16 AM
You darn retired people. :p  :laugh:

And dammit, I have apparently typed form instead of from umpteen times. Grrr.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 2:34 PM
Yes, routine is important when you work at home. I am lucky to have a dedicated space where I can hunker down.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:32 PM
oh nice to hear such a good run!  :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:22 PM
Nice job on the mile repeats! :cool:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-03 3:27 PM
it is a holiday for me. :grin: my company does not give president's day so new this year, they've added a second day to the july 4th holiday so we'll get two now going forward. :grin::grin:

I've had friends visiting the past few days so it's been fun and busy the past couple days plus lots of eating and drinking! :grin:

I'd hoped to run 8 this morning but settled on 3. :blush: I'm planning on meeting running partner for a session of aqua jogging in the lake this afternoon. she's not running right now (:cry: which means i need to replace her on the ragnar relay team) but has been enjoying pool running and has been joining my mom and I for the deep water pool running exercise class i take my mom to once a week. That should be fun except that it is pretty cool here today and breezy. Maybe it'll be a little too cold? Not sure yet. 

we grilled salmon for the friends. k made a mixed berry lattice pie with chardonnay chamomile ice cream. we had raspberry gin drinks.  :grin: The friends are now in vancouver BC as of this morning. They were supposed to take the train from seattle but there as an amtrak derailment just south of seattle yesterday afternoon which shut down the trains. they took a bus this morning. I think we'll have more festive foods once they are back. :wink:

blather: DH's dad moved to an skilled nursing facility late friday and has been pretty unhappy. of course he only complains to his wife and won't say anything to any staff or anything. we were there at lunch time today and he is doing better in that he's more coherent. we did have a chance to check in with some of the staff and i think it'll get better but still a long road to go. we are wondering if he'll be able to walk by himself again. :sad:

bonus: yes. very much so. it partly depends on what i'm doing however. just like at work i can distract myself pretty well. :roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2017-07-04 10:19 AM
All the food sounds fancy! :cool:

Sorry about DH's dad, that is tough.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2017-07-04 12:23 PM
Very cool about the extra day for the 4th! :cool:

Your food sounds so good!

DH's dad, what a tough situation. Glad he's close to you guys now. :hug:
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Holiday Monday Daily