Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Ooooh 12 hr running racre report by me
- - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 10:43 AM Edited 2017-07-03 10:51 AM
On Saturday I did the 12hrs day event for Merrill's Mile up in N. Georgia. Its maybe an hour from me and run by the same people who do several races up there and own the hiker hostel we stayed at for my summer running camp last year. Its a one mile paved loop in an army ranger base. There is very little shade, if any on the course, depending on the sun. You can do 6hr, 12hr, 24 or 48 :shocker!: Two years ago I did the 6hr and got 29 miles in. It was rainy and "cool" for early july in GA that year, so that helped me then....

Mr. N drove me up there (he's really getting into going to some of these events with me lately :hug: ) and helped me set up a little shady spot, chairs and a cooler with my stuff. People have small umbrellas up, all the way to full on camping sets ups in the center of the course. Its kinda cool. Several running people I've done some things with were there, so I set up near them. The longer I do this, the more awesome it is to know people at all the events you go to, it makes it so much more fun.

We started at 9am, it was already very muggy and in the mid 70s. My goals were to go for the full 12hrs (not quit early) or do 40mi, or do more than 41.6 which is the longest run I've done...50 was a pie in the sky goal if it was cooler/rainy but yeah that was not the case. I felt pretty good right from the start, other ladies I spoke to were doing 2/1 or 3/1 intervals but were there for 24hrs. Some of my other buddies were there for 48 and were just having a good time, walking a lot and maybe some running. I knew if I wanted to get back my confidence I lost last fall and into this spring, I had to do my own thing and not waste too much time socializing (though i do LOVE to socialize). I even put on my headphones after only an hour just to stay focused. I did about 10 miles in the first 2hrs walking both curved ends of each loop right from the start while it was still not scorching hot. Mr. Noel left and got himself some breakfast and came back. He ran 3 with me and then stayed to watch me for one more before heading home until later. I think if he'd brought some gear and beer he would have stayed all day, he was really having a good time  :laugh:.

Around 12:30 I had done maybe 15-16, can't remember but I had started to walk longer portions of each loop. I feeling kinda icky and tired and even walked most of 2 loops. Duh. Had some salt tabs and extra food and by 2pm I was feeling decent again. I decided I would speedwalk (for stubby sausage legs this is not very fast but I was trying) most of the first half and then run the second half into the finish each time. Somehow that was the perfect formula for me. As long as I did that, even when we switched directions, I was doing a 13-14min mile even through the heat. I saw LDR off and on and dude is a badass. He is so consistent, its amazing.

Also during this time, you can see everyone on both sides, so my buddies would yell stuff out or say I looked strong and we'd wave or whatever. They are all way more experienced than me, so their support was such a boost over and over, I can't even begin to tell you. And several of them I just met over the past month or so in group runs. :hug: Around 5:30pm, I was still feeling pretty good, and sticking with my walk half, run half. It started to get really dark over the mountains and I thought YES rain!!! And then it got even darker and I thought, holy hell, is my little umbrella going to stay up through this? I wrapped my phone in some shorts and stuffed it in my cooler and piled all of my stuff under some blankets and the chairs in the smallest pile I could make and headed back out for another loop. Sure enough it started to rain, glorious rain! And then it started to REALLY rain. LIKE WALLS OF RAIN. and I got blown back and forth off the path :shocker!: I turned the corner and could not even see the end of the loop or people,  it was crazy! I was thinking we were all dead if it started lightning...but it didn't, as far as I know. Got back to the tent area and everyone's tents were wrecked and people were trying to put their things back up and wring out wet clothes. I helped a few people, best I could and yep my boy scout husband had solidly secured my sportbrella and it was standing proudly in a crowd of wrecked tents :shocker!:

Once people started getting their bearings back, I walked a loop in the rain that had eased up with a lady doing 24hrs and we chatted. Now it was after 6pm and I knew those last 3hrs would go fast and I needed to get moving again. I had started developing a blister on the ball of my foot, which never happens to me, but I guess same exact terrain and elevation (none) and shoes over and over for 9hrs will result in blisters. I had tried to tape it but now my shoes were wet and the tape wouldn't stay. I decided to just gut it out until I was done, and get back to my walk half mi/run half mi. At this point I think I was at about 34-36 loops? Not sure. I knew when I got 25mi in at 6hrs that my pie in the sky goal of 50 was not happening as I couldn't keep that pace for another 6hrs. So then I started thinking just get over 42! And I kept walk/running, even skipping the AS a few times (dumb) bc I was feeling pretty good.

Mr Noel came back with 4 of my kids around 7:45pm and I had just finished loop 44 I think? I was so excited to have already beaten my all time distance. I was feeling somewhat surly though and didn't want to get distracted from getting more done. My oldest dd walked/ran loop 46 with me and I had 28 minutes left, figuring I'd just have to do one more for 47 and that would be AWESOME! My blister was really hurting and I was tired but I was feeling pretty stoked about the whole day. Got back after loop 47 and Dh says: you have 13minutes left, you should do one more. :meh: dammit. I gave him the finger bc I was tired and I knew he was right. I started walking a bit into the next loop and said to another runner lady, I think I have 13min for one more. She said RUN! Run as a fast as you can! And so I did. I ran the entire loop and finished with 3minutes to spare :laugh:

As I came into the finish Dh was more ecstatic than me :laugh: He said later he was thinking "oh hell if she doesn't make it, she is going to be SO PISSED."

So 48miles and I'm happy with that. I have my first 50 at the end of September and this boosts my confidence in a big huge way, I needed that.

I got changed in my car, and out of my shoes. My feet had several blisters and looked like raw meat :meh: The only painful one was the ball of foot blister, dang that hurt.  We started driving home and stopped for me to get some food as I really hadn't eaten much since before 5pm. Usually I can wolf down 3 McDs cheeseburgers as thats the only time I eat them and for some reason they taste like heaven after a long long day of running. I barely made it through one and said I don't feel well. I grabbed the bag thinking I was going to throw up. Then everything started going dark and I said: I think I'm going to faint. I rolled down the window thinking that would help. Thats all I remember. Dh said I then said I'm going to die and started moaning really loudly (scared my kids :sad:). He kept driving bc he was on the highway and started patting my leg. He thought I was just moaning bc I felt nauseated but I was completely out and didn't hear him or myself. All I remember is waking up and thinking ooooh I must have taken a nice nap, I really needed that! But it had been 2min of me being unconscious :shocker!: They all asked me if I remembered moaning so loudly and I said no, and was all, hey this window is open!

It ultimately scared the hell out of all of us, especially thinking if I had been alone and driving :sad:  When we got into the house my oldest DS was there and said mom you are white as a ghost...he'd had no idea I had just passed out. I showered and got into bed, shivering and feeling so tired. BUT HAPPY :laugh::grin::blush:

Thanks for reading. I'm eager to hear how the rest of LDRs day went :hug:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-03 11:26 AM
Great job. You'll do well in September.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 7:53 PM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-03 12:29 PM
I was smiling really happy for you on this one but the ride in the car at the end scared me. Perhaps some heat exhaustion or something? It all sounded like it went so well though. You crushed your goal there so congrats on that for sure. :cool: :happy:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 7:55 PM
Yes some combo of heat, dehydration and BP dropping I think. Thank you! Im just happy I had a "race" that went well, so many over the past year did not. :grin:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-07-06 11:35 AM
If you have low BP, dehydration can exacerbate the problem, I've found.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 3:24 PM
That's good to know, I feel like I always suck at dealing with running/hydrating/eating in hot humid weather until like August when I start to figure it out again :roll:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 7:11 PM
that's new info for me, and explains a few things...
thanks!!!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-03 1:03 PM
I helped a few people, best I could and yep my boy scout husband had solidly secured my sportbrella and it was standing proudly in a crowd of wrecked tents<--cracked me up. WOW! Great strong run :cool: Congratulations!

that's weird about the thing in the car though..
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 7:56 PM
I was sure that sportbrella would be half a mile away and up in a tree and it was solidly in the ground :laugh:

Thanks! We need to hear about Ireland next!
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-03 1:12 PM
Damn that is great!  Congrats!!!  Sorry about the rain that you mentioned in one of the middle paragraphs :sad::cry::hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 7:57 PM
Even strong rain was better than no rain, I loved it! :laugh: thanks :hug:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2017-07-03 1:40 PM
I remember fainting when I got a flue shot at work (I'm no good with needles) :laugh:
It was a pretty stressy time because there was a deadline, and I remember waking up on the ground, maybe tens of seconds after I fainted feeling the most relaxed ever :laugh::laugh: The doc took my blood pressure after gaining conscious and I was at 10 something.
Was thinking I should faint more often, it really helps totally relaxing :happy:

It was probably the fatigue and some dehydration that got to you. Maybe check with a doc next time you see one. Unless you have low blood pressure altogether sometimes which is possible.

Congrats with the great time :cool:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 2:01 PM
I don't have super low BP but good, healthy low BP generally. Thanks!
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-07-03 3:57 PM
You are an awesome runner. Loved reading this. You will kick that 50 miler's butt.

I fainted after a hot 12 mile run. I was already stressed out from other stuff and I think the other stuff was a lot of the problem. I finished running, walked to the car, called my husband and woke up totally disoriented. (I had not started the car fortunately.)
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 7:59 PM
No YOU are an awesome runner! :hug:

I remember that story when you fainted, it was only last year or so right? Scary, I am going to make sure when I'm alone that I stick around longer to recover and eat/drink before I drive from now on.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-03 8:00 PM
Also let me add that yes my first thought when I woke up was wow I feel so rested! Just like you said, so weird!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2017-07-04 5:27 AM
WTG team #1!:cool: it is great to see you happier with your running again. That is scary about the passing out.  I'll blame the weather. I blame the weather for everything this time of year. Congrats!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-04 7:52 AM
Thanks! Yes I'm blaming weather too :cool: my weight isn't quite back to where I should be yet but it will get there, the best part is that my mind is back in the game :blush:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-04 5:08 PM
Wow, outstanding job!:shocker!::cool: Congrats on it all! LOVE the support from mr. noel and how you (and your sportsbrella) survived the storm and overcame that and other obstacles.:grin: It's a good thing you didn't pass out on the course...that's kind of scary but a sign you ran to the max...again, congrats on everything!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-05 1:23 PM
Thanks jasz!
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-04 7:31 PM

>he's really getting into going to some of these events with me lately

:cool:

>I think if he'd brought some gear and beer he would have stayed all day, he was really having a good time

:cool::cool:

Congratulations on the new distance PR!!! I enjoyed reading your report. You are most certainly ready for that 50 mile race. Bummer about that post race scenario & I hope all turns out well.  :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-05 1:24 PM
Thanks! Yes I'm very excited for the 50 now, tho I will probably try to go into it with a better plan than I did with this :blush:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-05 2:45 PM
Congratulations! 48 laps of a 1 mile paved loop? You will enjoy a 50m a lot more, I think. Psychologically this is a big thing to have got under your belt.

And tell Mr Noel that he is a savior for keeping your tent upright, and next time he should pack gear and beer and munchies and stay with you.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 9:07 AM
Well its .9902 but I'm counting it as 48 since I'm not that picky to go to the decimal and that .9902 is probably the inside of the loop which I wasn't on most of the time :wink:

Thanks! Yes, he already told me next year he wants to stay all day :laugh:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 10:34 AM
he already told me next year he wants to stay all day

:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2017-07-05 6:32 PM
Congratulations! This is quite an achievement.:hug: I'm glad that you had a driver for your return and brief loss of consciousness. Spooky! Might mention it to your doc?:wink:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 9:08 AM
Thank you, yes I will. I did have a full check up in March, including blood work so I think I'm ok. I am going to plan to take more care post race from now on before I get into the car. Like change, chill, eat and drink fluids, get my feet above my heart etc...:blush:
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2017-07-05 8:11 PM
Congratulations!  You did amazing, especially in that heat.   :cool:

That would be my kind of perfect ultra - a paved one, because I fall so much on trails. :blush::laugh:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 9:09 AM
Thanks! I liked it more than I expected, when I did the 6hr a few yrs ago too...its nice to not have to focus on footing when you get tired unlike trails!
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 10:38 AM
I know you went through a challenging period, because you told me, but from my vantage point, you looked strong all day.  You ran when a lot of people, including me, were walking, but you were running smart.  Congrats on winning your 12-hr race. :hug:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 3:26 PM
Thanks! It was great to see you, you inspire me :hug:

guess what? I actually got 3rd place woman for the 12hr! The same woman who won the 12hr last yr ran at night (you must have seen her?) got 70 mi :shocker!:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-06 11:30 AM
Great job!!!  That is some tough weather to run for so long on a shadeless loop.  Not being able to shove three hamburgers in your face after such a run is truly a warning sign!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 3:27 PM
Right? After my 50k in May I ate a double and 2 singles and I'm not even kidding :shocker!:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2017-07-06 11:38 AM
Great job!  Scary about what happened in the car, but it does sound like a passing blood pressure episode.  I was so bummed that I couldn't eat or drink anything alcoholic after the 12-hour I did on New Year's Eve.  I had a bottle of champagne all saved up, but every time I tried to take a sip, my body violently rejected it. :meh:  Also, in my experience, flat paved events (i.e., timed events like this one) are absolute murder on the feet.  You get the same stresses over and over, with no variation in footstrike.  I've had the most horrible blisters and edema, especially after 24-hour runs.  I can't imagine what LDR goes through on his sooooper-long excursions! :shocker!:

You are going to rock that 50-miler in September!! :cool:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-06 3:29 PM
Thanks!!  Yes, same here, I really didn't eat much (considering) and didn't want beer, well I had some but it didn't taste good, until Tuesday. My stomach tends to take a few days to get moving again even after that, I can't imagine longer events :shocker!: LDR is just the coolest.
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-10 10:18 AM
:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-12 2:28 PM
:hug:
- - By JimGo1 Date 2017-07-10 7:20 PM
Glad it turned out okay !   I don't know how you guys do these loop ultras - amazing.   Nice job Noel !
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-11 7:29 PM
it's our moment of zen
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-11 8:15 PM
I don't know how y'all do it either, zen or not
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-12 2:28 PM
I actually like it :blush:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2017-07-12 5:13 PM
More power to you…it takes something way more than I have.:blush:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Ooooh 12 hr running racre report by me