Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Late? Two-Day NRR Thread
- - By swandive Date 2017-07-03 6:00 PM
I intended to start a thread this morning, but now it's evening and no one's started one so I'm going to call this a combined Monday-Tuesday thread.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2017-07-03 6:15 PM
The upper half of my left leg is a giant mass of knots for no apparent reason. :meh:  My legs were really sore when I got up yesterday morning, again for no apparent reason.  It's hard to fix a problem when I don't know what's wrong. :roll:

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and spent a long time quasi-awake and worrying about things that a) mostly weren't worth worrying about and b) if they were, certainly weren't going to be solved before dawn.  Some of my semi-conscious, quasi-RR musings: what do you do to take care of your feet?  I wash my feet, but don't do too much else to them.  I'm getting callouses on the balls of my feet that are causing hot spots on long runs (or maybe the hot spots are causing callouses :wtf:), but I'm not sure of the best way to fix it.

Anyone have recommendations for running movies?  Preferably available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I've been feeling quite unmotivated lately but maybe a good running movie (or book) will make me feel less crappy about running.

Also, this is definitely NRR, but I finally got the cat to hang out in my room.  It's a cat my mom and sister found on Cragslist, I think, a few years ago.  She's always been a bit skittish and has mostly hung out in the basement or in a room by herself.  She's finally getting more receptive to being petted and not running away.  I think especially with having the kids here she decided my room is a safe place to hang out, so she spends most of her time in here now.  It's amazing how much time she spends sleeping. :laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-03 6:47 PM
Are you getting enough calcium? Low calcium can cause crampy muscles. Just one thought.

Empathy on the brain not resting at night. T-bone and I refer to it as "my brain was spinning". Some days the brain needs a breaker switch, ya know? : pbbt:

Calluses can be a real problem. You want to get rid of them if you can. Baby soft feet tend to hold up to long runs better, I have found, than feet with callused skin. I will moisturize my feet more or less daily, with a non-water-based moisturizer. Gold Bond has some good foot-specific stuff. Periodically, when calluses start building, I will slather my feet in lotion and wrap them in plastic bags for about a half-hour while the lotion soaks in, then if necessary, will use a rough emery board or pedicure rasp (I don't know the actcual name for the thing) to rasp the calluses down.  I may rasp the calluses several days in a row if they are bad.

Then I'll keep putting moisturizer and/or oil onto them daily to keep the skin soft, especially right before I put socks and shoes on.

I also make sure to wear good socks. Worn ones will develop bumps and rough spots that will roughen the skin. I like SmartWool, Balega and DryMax socks best.

Re: movies, have you seen "Saint Ralph"? It is precious and really uplifting.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-03 7:28 PM
I guess I'm getting enough calcium? :wtf:  At least no significant diet changes.  I don't consume much dairy, but I haven't for a few years and I do drink some calcium-fortified almond milk and generally eat a decent variety of veggies.

I doubt I'll ever have baby soft feet because I walk around barefoot too much.  I wonder if summertime makes it worse because I tend to wear sandals more often than "real" shoes and almost never wear socks unless I'm running.  I wear WrightSocks, which are double-layer socks that are supposed to slide on themselves rather than causing friction between your foot and the shoe.  Or something like that. : pbbt:  I've worn them for years (not the same pair :wink:) and generally haven't had foot trouble.  I'll have to look into the Gold Bond stuff.  I put some generic body moisturizer on my feet last night, but doing that once every six months is unlikely to be very helpful. : pbbt:

I haven't seen Saint Ralph.  I'll look for it!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-04 4:35 AM
To go along with zips thought on calcium, magnesium can also cause muscle issues.
For my feet I usually just wash but I use this stuff every night at bed time, and once in a while if the calluses get bad on my problem areas (the big toe and edges of my heels) I have a pumice stone I use at the end of my shower (at the end because the water softens the skin/calluses).
Yeah on the cat!
Parent - By prairierunner [us] Date 2017-07-04 5:40 AM
No advice on the knotty muscles.

As for feet, I agree with Zip -- baby soft feet hold up better.  I have a pumice brush that I use in the shower every day, focusing on heel and ball of the foot.  If I have time (which is never), I have a foot scrub that I use and follow up with a shea butter moisturizer.  Like you, callouses are a problem, and the pumice keeps them under control.

Do you think the crappy summer weather is zapping your running mojo?  If so, at least summer doesn't last forever!  Can't think of any running movies, but DH has a book in his office that is a collection of short stories/essays about first marathons.  I think it's called First Marathons??  Some of the stories are uplifting and really good.  Dean Karnazes UltraMarathon Man always hops me up for running.
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-04 8:35 AM
"Race" is excellent.  Probably anything with Prefontaine in it.
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2017-07-04 6:15 PM
I enjoyed St Ralph.  I thought Race was good too.  No idea whether either is on Netflix or Amazon though.
Parent - By j.c. [ca] Date 2017-07-04 9:30 PM
Finding Traction. It's a documentary. And The Barkley Marathons. Also documentary. 

Of course Chariots of Fire or Prefontaine.
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-07-05 6:14 AM
Have you tried foam rolling? I think it's helpful for sore muscles and knots.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-03 6:57 PM
T-bone and I had our engagement photo shoot this morning. It was really sweet. The photographer, a good friend of T-bone's, gave the set of 900+ photos (!!!) to us so we could edit them down and select our favorites. They were pretty adorable and really funny in spots.

I found myself really critiquing my physique in the shots, though, and disliking the extra weight I have put on. I will need to get a bit more serious about diet in order to pare down to my preferred weight. It may be shallow, but I like the lean version of me better.

Ran errands and went to the gym after. Then had to hit the grocery store, despite my best efforts to avoid it during the holiday crush, and OMG...it was ass-bumping, "pardon me" crowded. Someone took my cart (I think by mistake?) when I left it to go grab something, and I had to start my shopping all over again from scratch. :shocker!: Glad I went to the gym first, because I was feeling mellow enough that I found it more amusing than anything. Like, "Enjoy the garlic, diet Coke and tortilla chips I picked out for you, random cart grabber!" :laugh::laugh: I expect they were a bit nonplussed at checkout. :laugh:

Back home now and getting ready for tomorrow.
Parent - By swandive Date 2017-07-03 7:18 PM
900+ photos? :shocker!:  That seems rather overwhelming.

I hear you on the self-criticism.  I was just thinking today about the lean version of myself.  It's literally 4 or 5 pounds less than where I am now, so really not even something that would make much difference aside from personal vanity, but :roll:.

Do you have big plans for tomorrow?
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-04 4:37 AM
I hope you share some of the photos! I am right there with you on the weight/lean thing. I am in the same boat.
Too funny about the grocery store! I hit the store yesterday at 8 am ish so it was still very quiet, thankfully!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-04 8:41 AM
Stupid cart-stealer! 

900 photos!  :shocker!:  I would be overwhelmed.  And I do think looking through that many does start to make one critical of oneself.  I hear you as well on the weight thing; I was at a record high and now I am down a little from that, but still overflowing my bra and hardly any clothes fit.  I have started to really cut back my food consumption since exercising more isn't in the cards with the knees and the fatigue, so I've come down 4 lbs, but I am still 10 up from 1.5 years ago, and 4 up from my previous record-high weight.  At my height, this amounts to several inches everywhere still.
Parent - - By prairierunner [us] Date 2017-07-04 5:44 AM
DH and I are headed out for a quick 5 miles before I take DD to the airport.  I'm sending her to my mom's for a month.  We need a break from each other:laugh:

DS out of the blue told me yesterday "I can't decide if I should come home next summer or stay in [college town] and find a job and sub-lease an apartment."  At least he's planning.  I still can't get my head around the fact that my baby is heading off to college:sad:  I have been a hot mess since last September when he submitted his college apps!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-04 2:39 PM
College is a hard transition.  :hug:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2017-07-04 6:01 AM
Funny thing happened Sunday afternoon. I was down at DC's house when all of a sudden there was this confusion and noise out front. A gaggle of about a dozen Canada goslings (they already were feathered enough to fly) was running fast in a "V" across neighbors' yards flapping their wings and honking like crazy. :laugh: They crossed all the yards and ended up down at the river. Two strays ended up in DC's back yard, but found their way down to the river and joined them. It was a funny sight.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2017-07-04 11:39 AM
:laugh::hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-04 12:19 PM
:laugh::hug:  Go little goslings!
Parent - By tritri Date 2017-07-04 12:27 PM Edited 2017-07-04 12:50 PM
I was up until 3am last night with another weird migraine that came in stages, ending with itchiness, even my face itched!  But no nausea this morning, so that was a plus.  Decided to go bike and that was nice.  I saw a bird hovering in the air, beating his wings like crazy, then he dive bombed towards the ground.  Later on I saw a prairie dog do a backwards somersault into his hole.  And leading up to a hill a guy passed me, and looks over and grins, he was really accelerating.  I figured he was challenging me to a race up the hill.  : pbbt:  Silly guy; you just killed yourself to pass a 50+ year old lady recovering from knee replacements!  

DH is going to grout in the bathroom today!  The tiling he did looks great!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2017-07-04 6:03 PM
Mmm, margarita. Well deserved and much needed.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2017-07-04 7:23 PM
Enjoy, cheers!:happy:
Parent - By Gunna Date 2017-07-05 6:15 AM
:grin::cool: Margarita lovers unite!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Too Late? Two-Day NRR Thread